Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > POF Events      Home login  
 AUTHOR
POF EventsPage 1 of 1    
Some one just wrote to me and asked, "What are POF events like?" My answer was that I view them as a Soul Mate Lottery. The cost of entering the lottery is a few hours of your time and you may just win happiness for the rest of your life.

Any other thoughts? I'd love to hear from people that do not attend and why they don't attend.
 Sherlock101
Msg: 2
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/15/2008 1:47:41 PM
I don't attend because they are usually too far away...
 luvtoluvubaby
Msg: 3
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/16/2008 2:09:44 AM
I attended my first POF event earlier this week. We bowled down in Davie. I really had a good time! I was skeptical about going at first, but then figured What's the worst that can happen? I could certainly make some new friends! I look foward to more events!
 oneprettyangel
Msg: 4
POF Events
Posted: 3/16/2008 10:33:34 AM
I hosted a POF event just yesterday and let me say that we had a blast! Once we warmed up to each other holy smokes we rocked the house..lol. I held it in one of Tampa's Historical nightclubs and let me say it was a different atmosphere than most are used to its not in a winghouse or kareoke bar and not saying those arent good spots because those are fun too...but this party was so much fun!! The music was great the video imagery was cool and most of all the people made the event.

I greeted the guests once they came thru the foyer and gave them the history of the nightclub being one of the oldest along with The Castle in Ybor, told them there are bats on the second floor omgggggggggg so cool!!...lol. Also told them the owners of The Chambers also own Baker's Billiards which is the oldest pool hall in the State of Florida and also a landmark right across the street!!

My advice to people on this site is go out and have fun with people who want to get together! Thanks.

OnePrettyAngel
 KiteGuy321
Msg: 5
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/17/2008 3:46:04 PM
Does anyone under the age of 40 ever show up to any of these things? I keep an eye out for events in my area (south florida) but most of the folks that say they are coming are well over 40..
POF Events
Posted: 3/17/2008 8:45:24 PM
InteractiveJohn-

I see quite a few 30 and 40-something women signed up for the party in Miami. Are you going?
 floridian407
Msg: 7
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/22/2008 9:26:51 PM
I'd love to come to events, but sometimes they have been while I'm out of town, or just not accessible on LYNX...Right now I live near downtown Orlando, and I have done some non-dating activities in downtown Orlando without any problems.{Even met one of my POF friends there, too.} I'm at the point where I'm even looking for new friends, a lot of mine have moved since 2006...And as a first born sanguine Libra, I hate not being social....Would I like to meet other POF people? Definitely, I hope there will be some events closer to downtown.....
 arlie1969
Msg: 8
POF Events
Posted: 3/24/2008 5:33:03 PM
going to events doesnt mean your out looking for your mate ,your just meeting a group of ppl that have been comunicating for a while and its nice to put a face with a name,
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 9
POF Events
Posted: 3/27/2008 1:37:10 AM

Does anyone under the age of 40 ever show up to any of these things? I keep an eye out for events in my area (south florida) but most of the folks that say they are coming are well over 40..

Does anyone under the age of 40 ever host any of these things?

I always love the younger people commenting about the folks that show up being "old people" but you never once see a youger person hosting an event.

You get what you give... When I was in my 20's and 30's had I been single I would have been all over event hosting... nothing like a BIG party!!!

your just meeting a group of ppl that have been comunicating for a while and its nice to put a face with

Absolutely. Just meet people... its not life or death its just saying hello.
 CincyDeb
Msg: 10
POF Events
Posted: 10/10/2008 10:38:27 AM
Effective 10/1, POF will not allow events to post that have higher than a $5 cover charge. This is unfair because some folks do like to go to concerts, amusement parks, festivals, plays, camping, horseback riding, etc. and this is over the $5 limit. What's even crazier is that you spend a lot more than 5 bucks in a bar before it's all over with. Wish this rule would change. I LOVE the events. I feel much more comfortable meeting folks face to face.
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 11
POF Events
Posted: 10/12/2008 5:56:18 PM
I have been hosting events for 2 years and that $5 limit has always been there and there are exceptions and ways to work around that rule.

My next event is a costume party on Nov 1st and it has a $10 cover charge and was approved by the moderators.

The sky is not falling, the sky is not falling!
 CincyDeb
Msg: 12
POF Events
Posted: 10/12/2008 6:06:00 PM
Well, you're lucky to have a nice moderator. We had a thread pulled 3 time's for a Renaissance Festival because the fee was over $5.00. The moderator said it was a new rule effective 10/1. We had an event at the end of September that was $20 but they allowed it because it was before 10/1.
 wolfie34761
Msg: 13
POF Events
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:12:35 PM
i LOVE the POF events!!!

i have been on this site for about two years, and didn't really start dating or having fun until i went to my first event. i have been to at least one or two a month ever since. i have hosted and co-hosted several events over the last year. i have been to mexican fiestas, a pajama party, bowling, skating, camping, line dancing.....an AWESOME halloween and Christmas party.....just to name a few. have i met the "man of my dreams" ?? or have i made a "love connection" ??? nope and nope.........but i HAVE made some really great friends and have opened the door to a MUCH more active and exciting social life. and even though i have not found my match yet, i can think of at least 5-6 couples that are in long term relationships with people that they met right here on THIS SITE , chatted and then met face to face at a POF party. ( a couple of them met for the first time at a party )

i never go to an event expecting to meet HIM, but with an open mind to meet new people and just have a good time. like aprincelyfrog said," you get out, what you put in. " ( or something like that.....lol) i have gone to parties where i have had a great time and then talked to someone else who says : "well, i thought it was boring and the people weren't friendly" or " it was like a clique and no one even talked to me".......and to those folks i say......... " GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND MINGLE!!! " and if you are shy.......find someone like ME (who's NOT shy) to introduce you around!! i always make it my mission to MEET and GREET as many people as possible AND then introduce them to more people. i mean isn't that what we are there for????

and as for the age range?? last night i co-hosted a fabulous party at the green parrot bar and grill in cassellberry (central fl) and there were fishies from 21 to 71 and we had over 100 attendees. from all the feed back i have received, everyone had a great time.

face it folks............life is what you make it..... and so are POF parties........so, if you have never been, give it a try or two or three!! before you know it, you will have lots more friends and maybe even meet that "special someone" that we are all in search of.

happy fishing AND long live the POF parties!! Think pleasant thoughts y'all!! Wolfie
 cacconcy1
Msg: 14
POF Events
Posted: 10/12/2008 10:51:37 PM
Hi.. I live in the Port Richey area north of Tampa. Went to my first POF party at NYNY in Clearwater'' .There was just a $5.00 charge for drinks after 9:00 for women.That was in August and now they are planning a Halloween Party in my area in a place called Hudson Beach at Hurricane Harry's Halloween Night. They have not listed a price yet for that.But did meet a lot of wonderful people when I did attend in August and look forward to meeting so many more.. and the moderator for that party does have quite a few in the Cleartwater area his name is Sherlock 99 on POF.. Just wanted to let you all know if you happen to be up in my "neck of the woods".. and yes, I am over 40.. but just remember age is just a state of "being' that 's all. Life is what you make of it..
 ChrissyDelray
Msg: 15
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 2/17/2011 6:23:27 PM
Hi, How can you find out where the POF events are located in south Florida?

Thank you
 justnancy
Msg: 16
POF Events
Posted: 2/18/2011 3:55:48 PM
Look under your inbox, they are listed below your incoming mail.
 easygoingmo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 2/23/2011 5:33:57 PM
What is up with these last two posts, from young Ladies, trying to put together Events in Tampa and two or three days before the events, disappearing?!? I know how much work goes into Hosting an Event and to have had this happen twice in less than 3 months, has me really scratching my head!! Any one else notice this happening?!? Or care to guess WHY?!?
POF Events
Posted: 2/23/2011 9:03:01 PM
^^^^^^The same thing has happened in South Florida. A comedy club event had been posted at the same location with the same description as had been done a number of times before disappeared. Not only did the event disappear, but the host that was hosting this event and had hosted the previous events had his profile deleted with no explanation provided. I don't get it either. Maybe someone had complained about the event. Who knows?
 easygoingmo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 2/24/2011 9:30:39 AM
With all of the places that are closing down, for one reason or another, if I were in the business, I know that I would be cultivating a relationship, with organizations such as ours!! I think that these are the greatest way to meet someone, for the first time. No First Date Jitters and the events that I've been to, are almost always a good time!! I know the time spent setting one up can be very time consuming, but they have been worth the effort!! I guess that others have to be motovated, one way or another, to take on these tasks, also!!!
POF Events
Posted: 2/24/2011 12:10:19 PM
The time spent in the arrangements can vary quite a bit.

I set up the first POF dance in South Florida at the Delray Hilton. I spent about 1 hour meeting with the beverage manager and basically told him, "I've been in your lounge on several Wednesday nights and there have never been more than 6 customers. If I can put 150 people in there, what would you do for that group?" He said, "I'll give them a free pasta buffet." I said, "Great, now if you can waive the $10 valet charge, we have a deal and can pick a date." He said, "I'll call you tomorrow." He called and said the charge was waived and we picked a date.

I probably spent a total of 2 hours setting that up and other people handled the name tags on the night of the dance. We did this every other month and the dance grew to 300 people and it had to move to a larger hotel.

Now I've been there. Done it. Don't care to do it again, but it really isn't difficult.
 easygoingmo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 2/24/2011 4:56:36 PM
I've got to agree!! I made one phone call and fought with this computer for a little while
and posted a Dinner Cruise today!!

Maybe others will read these posts and come up with other ideas and Events for others to enjoy!!
 Didi007
Msg: 22
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/6/2011 1:37:15 PM
Wolfie - well said. I have made some nice friends at a lot of these events, but I see a lot of people sitting around not attempting to mingle. I realize some people are shy but you have to try. Went on a dinner cruise recently where I was co-host and saw several of the men sitting there and not asking the ladies to dance. There was a ladies choice and though the ladies asked them they did not want to. I felt they were not having a good time and were bored but how are you going to meet someone just sitting around? And I believe the slow dances are best for that, it is really hard to talk when dancing fast plus the music is very often too loud to hear, could we get some of the bands to tone down the noise a little so we can talk? One guy just stood on the edge of the floor looking at the ladies dancing in a group, I asked him why he didn't join them, his reply was they wouldn't give him their phone number!! So he didn't want to dance. I don't blame them if they didn't know him , one has to be careful out there and get to know someone longer than a single dance!
 hugsR4sharin
Msg: 24
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 3/12/2014 3:10:54 AM
I laughed when I read the term "Soul Mate Lotterey!!!!"

TOOO FUNNNEEEE...... LOL.....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 25
view profile
History
POF Events
Posted: 5/10/2014 5:31:32 PM
Ehhh....I hesitate to comment because I've been to a few and I've had personal contact with the most frequent event hosters. I know they spend a lot of time and effort....however, I'll be honest and share my experiences.

Without exception, you walk up to the venue and there's a table. They get your username and contact info and give you a name tag (yeah that's what I want a label that I'm with some group..haha). But I comply...anyway it's always a venue that has a crowd anyway, either a bar or a bar/restaurant. I've not been to one yet (other than years ago when I was a cohost) where there was an area or even room for the people who were there from POF to attend the event. So your name secured...you wander into the venue and look for other people with nametags. Now I'll stop here, with this I have NO problem, but I'm an extreme extrovert and have some good "crashing" stories. What has happened is, I usually end up at a table of other POF women and we meet each other and chat and laugh (have a great time). I liken it to the middle school dances where the boys are on side of the room, girls on the other and they LOOK at each other.

I went to one event, and said the HELL with it, I went up to EVERY male in that venue with a POF nametag and personally introduced myself. Nada...I went back to the table of my new lady friends who said...no you DIDN'T. Nowf for those men who say women don't ever come up and talk to them.........pfft....if we do, we or I got the "deer in the headlights" so often I thought I was at a hunt club...haha.

A few years ago, someone planned a picnic at Sand Key Park in Clearwater. Even though it rained and it was August...there was a good crowd, and there was a very ACTIVE thread about those who were going, so when you were there, you KNEW who you were talking to. I have to say, that was a hoot and I still have friends who I met at that event. The difference.....no nametags necessary, not having to wander around a busy venue with other people who DON'T have nametags. I think the picnic idea or other event where there's an area/room where it's just your group makes all the difference.

No more events for me......EVER! I so give kudos for those who spend so much time putting them together. Unless someone posts an even that isn't at a popular venue with a crowd and NO WAY to know who's with POF other than those ad0orable "Hello my name is".....ugh.
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > POF Events