Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Can My POF Account Get Hacked?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunsetPoint1
Msg: 1
Can My POF Account Get Hacked? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Help!
The following occured today:
A man I am seeing (Joe*) called me today. He received a phone call from another man (Jim*) aksing for me. Joe was surprised that someone would call his cell phone asking for me. Jim told Joe that I had IM'd him and given him the phone number, saying, "If my roommate answers, just ask for me." Joe and I are not roommates and this whole thing is really bizarre!

In addition, not only was I not on POF AT ALL for days and was totally logged out, how on Earth did anyone have Joe's cell phone number? The ONLY place I have it recoreded is on my cell phone.

I think this has to be a virus of some kind...or someone has hacked my account...however, it still would not explain the giving of Joe's cell phone number on an IM when I wasn't even on the computer. No, I do not have multiple personality disorder, although that is the only thing I can think of as an explanation of any kind! LOL

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks so much!

*Not their real names, obviously.
 cupatea2010
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can My POF Account Get Hacked?
Posted: 3/27/2008 4:27:06 PM
The answer is YES. I got involved in a disagreement on this site under another profile name. I had entered my hotmail address as email if I got any anyone interested in me..

Well this guy that I had a disagreement with....told me that he was not finished with me..

and the next day...........AT WORK..I was checking my email.....and he sent an email..that said......NOW HE WAS FINISHED....and signed it MATT.

Scared the bejesus out of me...I wanted to find out how many people are able to be a moderator and have access to files profilers don't have??? He had my profile banned forever....because I disagreed with him on some long ago subject I have no recollection of....
 celesrial42
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 4:45:04 PM
Something even scarer happened to me today and shook me to by knees. I met a guy on .this sight. We went for a hike last week. Today he showed up at my house!!! I did not give him directions to my house and he lives 60 miles away!!!! Laughing he said you did not know I was a P.I. But I found you. I was mowing the grass and told him to leave. I was so upset,still shaking and very upset,I called him and said "How dare you to just think you could show up like that" Hie replie "Because I can" This preson needs to be removed from this site.....How do you do that,remove him..But know he knows were I live.Dear Lord help me help us all
 TruthSeeker1969
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/27/2008 4:45:14 PM
If you have a cd burner download puppylinux. You can actually boot off the cd, so you won't have any virus etc. Or you can scan for trojans and viruses, I suggest you take it to a computer shop for that.
 American_Iconoclast
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:01:04 PM

Something even scarer happened to me today and shook me to by knees. I met a guy on .this sight. We went for a hike last week. Today he showed up at my house!!! I did not give him directions to my house and he lives 60 miles away!!!! Laughing he said you did not know I was a P.I. But I found you. I was mowing the grass and told him to leave. I was so upset,still shaking and very upset,I called him and said "How dare you to just think you could show up like that" Hie replie "Because I can" This preson needs to be removed from this site.....How do you do that,remove him..But know he knows were I live.Dear Lord help me help us all

Please go file a police report right now! You need to document everything you know about this man. Do not let him contact you again!

That would scare the bejeezus out of me. Like, loaded shotgun by the bed kind of scared.
 stacj
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:01:16 PM

I think this has to be a virus of some kind...or someone has hacked my account...however, it still would not explain the giving of Joe's cell phone number on an IM when I wasn't even on the computer. No, I do not have multiple personality disorder, although that is the only thing I can think of as an explanation of any kind! LOL

A virus doesn’t get your phone number and call you to say hello. Sounds more like someone you or Joe knows is planning a joke on you.

Something even scarer happened to me today and shook me to by knees. I met a guy on .this sight. We went for a hike last week. Today he showed up at my house!!! I did not give him directions to my house and he lives 60 miles away!!!! Laughing he said you did not know I was a P.I. But I found you

You don’t have to be a PI to do that. With a listed phone number I or anyone that knows how can get door to door directions. It’s called reverse phone numbers then use a online map. Use a cell phone or a unlisted number. I use it offten to get from point A to B when traveling.
 Leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:17:41 PM
Msg 2 you are not supposed to post your email addy on this site, just for that reason and many others. Hope you have learned your lesson.
 1inaRow
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:24:31 PM
OP - Maybe your cell phone got hacked (if that is the only place where the number was stored). Is your phone a "bluetooth"?
Just a thought...
 soulmate08
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:25:56 PM
Hi...........anytime your on your computer/online..... if your ports/(backdoors are not closed or protected you can get hacked/accessed)...
Ive been told.. msn... has heaps of holes in it... for accessing someones pc..

ive also been told this week... a woman we know with a yahoo email address was hacked.. and they sent out emails from her address..(to all on her list... her friends... one was my mum,.,, the email asked for money to help her sick relative ... )
she was away and could be accessed because of sites where she is permantely logged in with password...

You need a spyware programme..... a firewall.... and antivirus
I also just recently heard... (that someone can control your pc if they get access to it...)
now im not exactly sure how it works..... but never accept a file ending in exe... for eg...
unless you know the person/trust them really well.

if they get into your pc that way .. they can read everything on your pc...
they can even change your files etc.. they can watch everyone you talk too and keep any data like ph numbers etc.. given across online..

with msn... most get access to your email address.... your name.. (through email)...
with ph number if you give it out people can find out alot of info on you..

and dont even get me onto facebook///my space etc... i refuse to join those..
i did because friends asked me . but after a week deleted accounts.. because if someone has your email...your date of birth... your name... and identifying pics they can find your address, and in my country..
identitify theft has occurred.. by once they have your home address info they have gone to that address and stolen mail.... they then have all your other details to steal your identity... get credit cards/license etc in your name..

re the poster.. who a guy just turned up..... id report that... thats bordering on stalking... if not .. already is stalking.. you might find hes been reported before...
anyway re reporting him.. on pof if youve got detailed reports it might help..
thats just scary...
I find alot ask on this site if i have msn or email etc..
1. i dont give out msn..(i did about 3 times ..until i learnt)
2. i dont give out email address
3. I do not give out my full name..
4. I donot give out my ph number unless I have known them a fair while..
but i dont have a cell ph.. that would be different i think..
5. Id be careful of telling anyone re business/profession.. if it causes an interest in accessing your pc..
anyway good luck..
edit.......most people if not 99% of people wouldnt bother... or try and be ok.
its the stalkers/greedy /criminal etc.. that you need to be safe from.. dont get scared... its just reality of needing security in technology..
smiles/peace
 OH WELL!
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:28:41 PM
How about you ALL file police reports..... it is, or can rise to the level of, CIVIL HARRASSMENT/ STALKING/ CRIMINAL HARRASSMENT / HARRASSMENT via electronic device, etc.....

But you need documentation...... do it. W/out real names, it can be ANONYMOUS CALLS etc.... if that's an issue

QA
 sasyecat
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:35:07 PM
Could Joe* be lying about the call? Maybe he wants to see how active you are on this site by your response to this call from Jim*?
 Karl68
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:42:50 PM
its called spyware anything on your computer will be at risk bank account, credit card , numbers your phone number, anything you have inputted on your computer can be recovered by a trojan and sent to the bad guys

these people commit cyber crime and identity theft , web browser highjacking is how you can get a trojan

you are responsible to get proper protection and use it such as norton , symantic or spycatcher to protect against the computer stds going around, as well as a good virus program NOD,avd if u have norton it does it all.

I bet your bank account will appreciate it

so the answer is you probably got highjacked by way of a drive by trojan installer when surfing the net and didn't know it.

update often and use your security software don't depend on windows firewall most trojans disable that first.your security software should contain a firewall so xp firewall isn't necessary

hope this helped
 Eric2008
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:47:04 PM
The most vulnerable your computer will ever be is when you IM someone.If the wrong person is Phishing while you IM he or she can infiltrate your whole computer.
 homeonthecoast
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:51:45 PM
Can you get hacked?

Bottom line? If you're online, then of course you can.

If you aren't taking active measures to protect yourself, then you *are* vulnerable. Just like locking your doors when you leave your house, you are responsible for making sure your online identity is protected.
 FordForever
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 8:36:04 PM
Most of the people who actually have enough skills to 'hack' a POF account would rather spend their time using their knowledge to make money...or better yet stay off the internet unless they are making money.

Someone could have used a fake log in, they do exist but its hardly hacking. Either that or 'joe' is screwing with you because you are after all on a dating website and he has every right to be suspicious.
 SunsetPoint1
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/27/2008 9:49:48 PM
Hey,

First of all, Thank You so much for answering. I called Jim and talked to him. He confirmed that I had IM'd him (which I did not do)....and "Joe" was perfectly reasonable recounting the story to me....

I am more confused than ever!
 soulmate08
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:02:03 PM
so you know jim?

edit and ford forever.... yes i agree. until i heard recently about that... accessing others pc... the guy who told me... (you know how people can send a thing through msn saying.. darn i forget the word.. but basically someone from anywhere can access your pc with your permission to go and look at it to fix pcs problems for you)..
this guy went into a yound girls pc to help fix heres and found the guy /stalking/ her pc/info .. where he had left the file to accesss her pc whenever it was turned on..
long story...
but basically he could control her pc .... delete files add files etc..
basically the guy told me they disguise it in an exe form/file..
but . the guy was obsessed..with her. he was recording her camming// conversations etc..

smiles/peace
 Vermilion
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:27:55 PM
Yes, of course. It's trivial to hack a POF account, because every email sent from POF has your password right there for all to see! Does this header look familiar?

Hello [your username],

Thank you for signing up on [date and time that you signed up]
Remember your password is [your password!]

Following that would be your password, out in the open for all to see, and shared with anyone who can get into your email, or anyone looking over your shoulder. God help you if this is the same password that you use for every other site on the Internet.

You might be wondering why this is such a big deal, if you don't already. Well, I'm sure you've heard of a breed of computer-literate people known as "hackers". Packet sniffing is a trivial point-and-click task which lets people eavesdrop on everyone's Internet usage; should you not be using encryption to read your email (https:// in a browser, SSL in a mail reader), then your entire mailbox is open for all to use. (Replace "packet sniffing" with "installing a keylogger", "downloading a Trojan", or "getting infected with spyware", and you begin to see the magnitude of POF's blind eye for security.)

Scary, huh?

I've tried posting threads about this, hoping that whomever is in charge of emails here at this site would get it through their heads that exposing people's passwords is not a wise move; however, my messages always get removed by the forum administrator. If POF were not a free site, the authorities would have shut them down long ago for sharing users' passwords.

I hope you enjoyed reading this, as the forum mods are going to delete this post (if not the whole thread) as quickly as possible.

(Disclaimer: I work in the IT field; security is something that pays me a lot of money.)
 FluffyBrain
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/27/2008 10:55:03 PM
Yeap! Anyone from bonafide computer geeks to kiddie scripters. Know a little about buffer overflows and the like and it ain't too too hard.
 Smart-Blonde
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/27/2008 11:20:23 PM
Celestrial........... I recall another post on here recently about a woman who met a man. He showed up at her door the next day! He told her, he followed her home after their meeting and then followed her around all that day while she did errands. She never knew. She called the police while he was there. So, maybe this guy followed you.

The the original OP.......... So you have actually had contact with this Jim guy prior to this phone call ordeal? If so, if you gave him ANY info about you, then he could of done some research. Do you and Joe share a phone account? If you have never had any contact with this man prior to this, maybe a someone you and Joe know is trying to set you up or sabotage your relationship?
 shit.head
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/28/2008 12:33:23 AM
there was a segment on the news the other night regarding hacking on facebook. apparently it only takes seconds for ANYONE to find a way into your account. they can obtain all your info in regards to personal address, phone numbers, e mail accounts. EVERYTHING.

nothing in cyberland is private. NOTHING!!! just a risk we all take.

i would be closing the account and starting a new one with totally different info. even a new e mail addy.
 SlyKnight
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:02:58 AM

Following that would be your password, out in the open for all to see, and shared with anyone who can get into your email, or anyone looking over your shoulder. God help you if this is the same password that you use for every other site on the Internet.

Vermillion is right.... this is a massive security risk. For a start, passwords should be stored in a one-way encrypted format rather than (presumably) plain text. And you certainly shouldn't send out someone's password in an email! Anyone looking over you shoulder, or monitoring traffic to your PC, or intercepting emails anywhere along the line can get at it.

Considering how well put together the site is, that security hole does surprise me.
 stacj
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:57:25 PM

because every email sent from POF has your password right there for all to see

I don see that when I send a email and haent seen it on any I recieved on POF.
 WesternRose
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/28/2008 4:10:45 PM
I am no computer expert here...but have you contacted POF and asked them to what is happening here?
Ask them how this happened...or if it has happened. Perhaps more people are affected and we should all find out how to protect ourselves.

If you could find out for the rest of us that would be of good use.
 abby156
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/28/2008 4:12:16 PM
Run a virus scan and look for a keylogger. Alot of innocent looking files or exe's can contain them. Once found they are easy to delete.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Can My POF Account Get Hacked?