Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you stay motivated?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dutchpirate
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How do you stay motivated?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
For those to share their own methods and strategies to stay motivated on their diet/exercise plan/etc

I'm having a hard time finding my own lately and I'm curious to what other people do to keep the momentum going.
 satx78218
Msg: 2
view profile
History
How do you stay motivated?
Posted: 4/1/2008 4:28:02 PM
Getting results, like losing excess weight, sleeping better, more self-confidence, gratified by level of conditioning and figure, knowing you're giving your body the best chance to avoid all the lifestyle diseases that sicken and kill 100s of 1000s every year. All that's positive motivation.

I had one friend die from diabetes, another is fighting Type II, another had to have a cardiac stent, another had a triple bypass in late 40s and stilll fights Type II. Losing health scares the hell out of me. That's negative motivation.
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 5:10:07 PM
I find having a good support network to be the biggest motivating factor. Finding like-minded people who train like me, who eat like me, who understand what I do, and why I do it. Primarily from online fitness communities, but I've got some great support IRL too.
 Parkour613
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/1/2008 5:16:03 PM
I like to visualize my goals. Sometimes I write them down and then close my eyes and visualize myself accomplishing them. That helps to motivate me. Also, reading a ton of materials on health and fitness gets me pumped up to give 110% when working out. Two of my buddies and I help motivate each other as well. Online communities are great for support too. Good luck :)
 smoothlikesmoothee
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/1/2008 6:15:17 PM
Keep it simple.

I find the key to having a good healthy diet is to realize that you aren't always going to eat healthy, but as long as you're eating healthy the majority of the time and exercising, that's what counts.

Make sure to not completely cut out what you like to eat and the healthy stuff you are eating is enjoyable and delicious. A great example of this is pizza. From my experiences, I've cut it down to once a week.

Being mindful while grocery shopping is an excellent way to monitor what you eat. Eating before you go grocery shopping will add the advantage of not indulging too much while out. You'll want to typically go for the meats section, vegetables and fruits and possibly health foods. If you haven't tried the Kashi cereals, those are great for breakfast as they are high in protein. Protein drinks are excellent ways to satiate your appetite and if your into muscle training/toning, will allow you get the definition without being carb heavy.

It takes about 21 days for a person to form a habit. If you work out for an hour 3 times a week and can keep that up for two months, it'll become routine. 4 days a week will decrease that time down to about a month and two weeks. If you do 5 days a week, it'll become a habit in less than a month.

Anyways, hope that helps!

~A~
 satx78218
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:00:19 PM
yep, you don't have to maintain a perfect diet.
One meal or one treat that doesn't meet your rules isn't going to hurt anything.

Breaking your own rules, you're choice, demonstrates that you're in control, not the rules.

Again, exercising to be fit is great, but the bulk of calories lost will be by diet, even without exercise. By running a modest caloric deficit daily, you take the pressure of the need to exercise so much, to martyr yourself grimly, or even to exercise at ll. It's so much easier, and more intelligent, not to put the calories in, than to try to burn them off. A huge myth about losing weight is that you must spend hours and hours exercising.
 bluegreeneyesitalian
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:05:00 PM
i just do it on daily basis and i dont let anything else get in the way
 footballrulz343
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:17:15 PM
Write down(in addition to my excel program on my lifting program) everything I do and make adjustments when needed. Use my ipod shuffle when training to avoid people wasting my time and keep me on the clock!!!!!
 crazytimes1
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:29:52 PM
Focus and goal setting.

'This month I will lift X weight Y times. Then I tell people these goals, they have the decency to encourage me to go for them. Constant improvement- no matter how small- is a major component of motivation.

That and looking in the mirror.
 umm...Dave
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/1/2008 11:46:46 PM
To keep pushing myself I find that associating with people who are much better than me gives me more than enough drive. Training around people who are squating 1000+lbs and benching 600+ all while pantera is blasting on the stereo makes it pretty much impossible for me to put forth less than maximal effort.

When I can't train in those types of place (like now) I just look around the gym and realise that if I don't train hard then I am going to be like everybody else at the gym, squatting in the smith machine with 2 plates a side, using the same weight for the same reps for months on end.
Basically I guess my motivation would be fear of being a normal gym goer.
 Wunderkindt
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 12:26:23 AM
Regardless of the plan one is on, in general, one is allowed one day of the week where all rules are off and you can "pig out" ... if it helps to stay motivated.

So, 6 days on and 1 day off should not impact your program and provides for a "reward" factor.
 *buzz*
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:51:21 AM
... to stay motivated on their diet/exercise plan/etc

When I was in my early 20s I piled up kilos and did have chubby cheeks, double chin and my legs were hidden in baggy trousers.
I tried hard to camouflage it all.
My first job ever made my life misery ... all surplus and more disappeared, plus surgery (gall bladder) followed.
My marriage taught me another valuable lesson to stay positive, have faith in myself and listen to my body.

Feeling healthy, exercising (swimming, hiking) for pleasure and relax, eating only to satisfy hunger, positive attitude ...
m o d e r a t i o n ... is the key that works for me.
BTW, laughter is the best medicine and the best inspiration to anything.
 dethroned
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/2/2008 8:17:50 AM
I may get inadvertently flamed for this, but oh well... subjective motivation, really.

I find motivation mostly, comes from myself. I've modelled my schedule (minus studying, working and class) around making time for the gym. I don't go out if I haven't had my workouts... I find what has helped me the most personally is a rhetoric that the gym is mandatory and that substuary activities such as going out come after I have addressed my own physical needs (lol). I honestly feel like crap if I don't train... like i've cheated myself almost.

What has helped me during down periods in the past however has been having more personal friends interested in fitness etc, the support network can make all the difference on those lazy unmotivated days. I however, despite working in a nutrition store, have found people as dedicated as I am (and i'm really not that much of an extremist) to be far and few between. Sometimes you've really just got to reach/look inside yourself, take a look at what you have achieved and envision what you'd like to and feed off of that energy.

To me, each session is hypertrophy opportunity... muscle maturity, endurance, increased cardiovascular health. Chalk it up to whatever you so please but weigh the benefits of a consistant gym schedule (which are generally associated with opimal personal fitness and correlated directly with personal happyness) and look at your gym endeavor as just another step up that happyness ladder... besides, getting there is really the only hard part... the endorphin release post workout is something we're all familliar with and it always ends up paying its self off.

That having been said, take a week off every 8-10 weeks to let yourself recover and for mental clarity. Asses your goals, whatever they may be, and evaluate your progress... take the time to design a new progra, try something new etc... anything to re-new your interest.

I find I have to do that many times, as well, to continue to stay motivated.

Positive reinforcement though, from your friends and signifant other(s) in your life is a must.

That and of course summer's coming... and what better time to show off the hard earned achievments of the winter? Can't relax just yet, right?

Sorry, couldn't help that one.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:36:34 PM

Feeling healthy, exercising (swimming, hiking) for pleasure and relax, eating only to satisfy hunger, positive attitude ...m o d e r a t i o n

And a good sip single malt scotch to end a long day...
 killerwhale
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/2/2008 5:45:05 PM
Good reply. Real good reply!

I concur.
 Kiiara
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:57:38 PM
I imagine some point or event happening in the future for which I'll want to look my thinest and healthiest and that's all the motivation I need to haul my bum to the gym or not eat that slice of cake. The key too success for me is to stop thinking about what's pleasing here and now and think about what I'll find pleasing in the long term / future.
 42 4 U
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/2/2008 11:07:38 PM
I never had to do much outside of my normal activity to stay slim and fit until I reached my mid 30's.Then I noticed my energy levels weren't what they used to be,so I started jogging and working out.At first,it was easy,I just did an hour a day,alternating between running for cardio and upper body the second day.I got some weird aches and pains,but I pushed through it,and after a while,they went away and have been fine since.I cut out all the unhealthy foods,and at first,it was hard,but after a few weeks,I didn't want it any more.

The only things I have trouble with is running when its cold out,and not being able to find anyone to run and work out with.I'm pretty good at being self motivating,but when you work with someone else,you can challenge each other,and motivate each other.

Now,I find I don't need to run 4 miles a day any more,I can run once or twice a week and its enough to keep me slim and fit.I guess by changing my eating habits,I've conditioned my body and metabolism so that I can maintain it with less effort.

I've learned a lot about health and fitness from these forums.Theres lots of useful information that works on here,thanks folks

So how to keep motivated,well,I just consider it a necessity like breathing.I don't give myself a choice,its up to me to maintain my own health.Nobody's going to do it for me.It helps to have someone to work out with.Good luck,keep up the good work
 billymccool
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/3/2008 6:15:18 AM
I beleive motivation is fuled by results. Beginers always have the hardest time because results can sometimes take a while and they get discouraged. But beginners should know that they are the ones who have the greatest potential to dramatically change their body in a short period of time.

For diet, i would tell you to learn as much as you can about food. Know what foods are good and what foods are bad. Stick with whole foods. A good rule of thumb is when your at the supermarket, shop the outside isles because these isles have the foods which need refrigeration of they are the foods that go bad quicker. Generally these foods will be whole foods. Meats, fish, cheese, milk, fruits, vegitables, yogart.
Avoid processed food. Of course there are exemptions like oatmeal and whole weat pasta. This is just a generalization.

For workouts bring an IPod and zone out. Mix up your routine, get some new gym clothes. Do whatever it takes to get your butt in there and train. Once the results happen you wont wanna stop.
 123carrie
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 7:43:07 AM
I work out everyday....it's become a part of my daily routine and I really enjoy the time that I can get into myself and my thoughts as I do it.

Success is finding the type of exercise that not only works for you, but one that you also enjoy doing. For me, I do taebo in the mornings and use the nordic trak in the evenings while I watch tv (makes the time go quickly and I get to enjoy the show). In the summertime I trade off riding my bike around this great small lake near me in the evenings. It's a nice peaceful place so the ride is also a way to clear my mind from the day's clutter.

The key to all of this is to be consistent and to make it a priority in your day. I know it is easy to slack off when other things come up, but if you can only do active exercise for only 10 min on a specific day, that is better than none.

I also watch what I eat. I cook most things from scratch and like natural fruits and veggies...but I also love a great steak cooked on the grill once in a while. (I know 1,000 ways to cook chicken...hahaha). I also make a list when I go to the store (usually only sneaks in one or two things into the cart) and starts my trip at the fresh vegetable and fruit section.

So, when that all being said, I don't feel like I am cheating when I go out for dinner and eat something that really really tastes good but is not so good for me. I allow myself these pleasures and never feel guilt. When eating healthy and exercising becomes a way of life for you, you have the problem licked (drifting back to the low-fat ice cream thought - yummmm).
 LUSTRE
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/3/2008 8:28:27 AM
Hi OP,staying motivated is very difficult with so much going on so i would suggest giving yourself small targets to reach and hopefully the more you reach the more it will spur you on to continue and always reward yourself for reaching your targets,if only in a small way.I hope you reach your target.best of luck.
 Timoteiy
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:11:13 AM
Good answer billymccool,

For example, my 13 year old son and I have ben jogging together. At first it was like pulling teeth to get him out. One day, We are running a few kilometers, he speeds up ahead and I speed up to keep his pace. He just keeps going and going. We get home and I tell him I'm amazed! What happened ? After that, he wants to go all the time.
 whph4u
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:17:51 AM
I participate in mountain hikes or 10K run events. It's amazing how those pending event dates get you back on track. I'd had a few somewhat inactive weeks, by my standard, as I haven't been feeling that well, but am in the Sun Run on April 20th, so know I have to pick up the running, hit the weights, etc., and this week I really have... in fact I'm off to the gym now! Another idea is to have a friend workout with you, keep each other going.

As for diet, I just cut out all junk food years ago, no chocolate, no pop, no processed or packaged food, and before long you can't even stand the smell of sugar let alone consume it. People think that is really radical but I did it so I wouldn't have to worry about resisting something I like, that isn't good for me, so now when I'm hungry I think of fruits and vegetables, or chicken, fish, whole grains, stuff like that, and I can eat whenever I like, and as much as I want, and never gain any weight.
 satx78218
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 10:31:04 AM

For those to share their own methods and strategies to stay motivated on their diet/exercise plan/etc

"diets don't work", so don't diet. You can get some motivation by reading, obtaining some intellectual foundation and info for eating healthily. Motivating yourself to avoid the bad stuff requires knowing what the bad stuff is. Michael Pollan is excellent:

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/80868/?page=entire

One of the great innovations of on-line publishers is that so many sites, nearly all the ones I visit through RSS, allow readers to comment on articles. I find the comments are always worth reading. Lots of info from serious people, and often serious take-downs on the article itself.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2008 2:11:33 PM
I just stay on track, you just have to focus on what is more important to you. I go to the 4-5 days each and every week. I do a lot of cardio, tons of running and some weights, to a bit of swimming. You'd be amazed by how much energy you do have the following day. I always feel betterand more alert when I'm a work the following day. If I'm not at the gym, I'm either out for a nice walk, running, mt.biking, or hike somewhere. Just getting out and getting some fresh air is good for you.
 billymccool
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/3/2008 5:25:59 PM
I would disagree. Diets most definetly do work, but what people need to realize is that you should evaluate your diet every few weeks. As you loose weight your body requires less calories to sustain homeostasis. The body hates change because change can lead to stress on the bod. Homeostasis is the state of not changing and your body is constantly trying to be in this state. So to make changes to your body you really have to trick it, keep your body guessing, both with your diet and your training.

Dont burn yourself out though, I train 12 weeks then take a full week to recover. Its like a vacation for my body, it lets everything heal. The same should go for your diet, if you keep eating the same foods, the same calories, the same proteins and carb levels then you can expect little change. Mix it up, keep it healthy, play with your protein and calorie levels and once a week have a cheat meal.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How do you stay motivated?