Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Is it offensive to call a black person black?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mysterio2001
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is it offensive to call a black person black?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I do not feel it is. After all, why would the BLACK PANTHERS use the word BLACK in their name if it offends the very group of people they fight for?

I have run into some people that told me that the word black is offensive when used in the manner stated above. I think they are looking for something that is not intended to be there.

African American? What if the person ( or ancestors) is not from Africa? What if they or their ancestors are from another country originally?

Would that not be similar to calling all all white people "european?"
 big sister
Msg: 2
Is it offensive to call a black person black?
Posted: 4/6/2008 10:11:26 AM
Im pretty sure black people dont mind being called that, I think being called coloured is considered as offensive, after all black people are black not coloured. If Im wrong then im sorry would hate to think in offending anyone.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/6/2008 10:36:32 AM
I think it depends on how you are referencing it.

If whatever you are saying would lose it's meaning if you left out "black" as a reference...then NO...it is not offensive.

However, if "black" has no pertinence to the topic...then YES.

Example, "I was out driving and this black woman almost hit me by not stopping at the light!"

The fact that the person was black, has NO REAL MEANING, and if it were a white person, most likely would not have been referenced.

However, if you were telling a friend about someone you thought might be a good match for them, and they asked what they looked like, referring to their color would be acceptable.

Does that make sense?
 methusalah
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 11:44:38 AM
I do wish the world would agree once and for all what the proper terminology is. This has been a question for so many decades. I have heard every term under the sun.
 Mom2Beagle
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 11:48:55 AM
It seems to be offensive in this politically correct world. I am not politically correct, so I use it. I refuse to use "African American" or "African Canadian" because, as another poster said, not all blacks are from Africa.

I got a real shock a couple years ago when I used the word "Negro" in a chatroom and got kicked out for it. Apparently, that is offensive, too. Society has gotten to a pretty pathetic state when using the name of a race is considered offensive. I notice, though, that the term "caucasian" is not considered offensive.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 11:56:33 AM
It is politically incorrect, though how genuinely offensive it is can be hard to determine with any accuracy. These rules change all the time. Remember when "person of color" was in vogue?

As for the B***** Panthers, they are allowed to use the word, others can't. According to current societal norms, members of a particular group can use terms about themselves that would be considered offensive if used by someone who is not part of that group. That's why a certain demographic can use the n word, with the full blessing of the powers that be, but if other people used it, it would be considered quite unacceptable.
 GoodDay
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 11:59:30 AM
I think this question needs to be answered by a black / african/american / person of color. Sorry, but I don't believe anyone else can do it. It will only be supposition.
 Topgear1
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:01:35 PM

I do not feel it is. After all, why would the BLACK PANTHERS use the word BLACK in their name if it offends the very group of people they fight for?

I'm not sure that's a good way to say it? I mean after all they use the "N" word too but they claim it's derogatory if someone other than themselves use it...

Nevertheless, I think we all get what you mean and I believe you'd be hard pressed to find anyone of them that would consider the term "Black" as offensive.

I'm not so certain the term "Colored" is viewed anyless offensive as "Black". It's just the term "colored" and "Darkies" isn't used much as it was a century ago. The word "Negro" however is still used these days but few use it in the spoken word.

Examples:
United Negro College fund
"Negro" Just for men, hair coloring dye (can be found on the shelves of your local drugstore)

I always try to give a decent respect to others and if at all possible will call them by name as opposed to saying just see the black guy in engineering...

I have many negro friends and co-workers that I communicate with all the time on subjects such as this.
 Javan2
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:02:56 PM
Well, in some circles people aren't offended by the term; "People of Color". I personally don't find it offensive, but not everyone's the same. Age could play a factor. Older people just might find the term Black offensive while most younger people may not. Older people in fact might prefer the term, "Colored". Younger people may not. It's really all individual and subjective strangely enough. Find members in your community who are members of the Bahi` Faith this is really an issue that's perfect for them because they promote interracial marriage and relationships and are among the few people in North America who are very comfortable talking about race and race relations.
 Dazaboom
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:14:42 PM
A guy once said its "not the color of your skin but the content of your character" that defines who you are, not to mention yourself. Because we are not all identical, the differences between us will always be a source of personal beliefs, whether it be race, economic status, height, breast size, employment status, parenthood, body size, sexual preference etc....... It is what it is and until we get to heaven we will each have our own set of beliefs! The notion that a law will mandate a particular set of beliefs in each of us is as stupid as the law makers which we all know now is pretty stupid....lol...oh no, there I go, I just did it myself.....my belief that the lawmakers are stupid.......there was another guy that once said "love your neighbor like yourself" hey that makes sense...I know we need to pass a law that says that!!!! God Bless everyone:)
 maxx D
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:22:45 PM
thats white guilt..... its not offensive to call white people white...
 KenNV
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:22:51 PM
I'd think whatever term is used should not be offensive as long as the word is suggestive of the skin color or origination. Frankyl, I can't keep up with the current terminology. Has african american changed yet? What do you call a person within the United States who has black skin yet came from Panama? it's all so confusing. Maybe we need to standardize one word and stick to it.

NAACP has within it's name "colored". Are they wrong?

I don't understnad cracker or honky. I have no problem with white, whity, or anything else that's suggestive of white, pale or skin lacking color. I'd think it'd be inappropriate to call a black person purple as I've heard before, UNLESS OF COURSE a black man makes a joke using the word. We have to retain a double-standard for a while longer.
 yellier35
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/6/2008 12:42:33 PM
No matter what word you use to describe someone , it's always going to offend someone. To be honest, this whole political correctness has become way out of hand. Just stick to your morals and what you have learned through life. If someone has an issue they will tell ya or make a face.

off subject, my ex used the word MAN while at work. She was describing people for some reason. This customer screamed at her saying how wrong it is to use that term for man and female.

I find nothing wrong using words such as black or colored to describe someone. After all, your not making fun of someone you are just describing. Some of the smartest people I have ever met in the Army where black and they never had any issues with words as such. Just the other word, which is a filthy word that should never be used by any race.

The word cracker was used by blacks because there masters had whips. Thats where that whole thing came from. I still dont get how thats offensive though.
 Johnny Fearless
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:08:49 PM
I was at a clothing store one time, and some guy was helping me pick out a sweater. When I tried it on and went to the cashier with it, he was gone on break and the guy at the cashier asked me who helped me. I didn't catch his name and they were all wearing the same clothes, so all I could say was, "the black guy, I don't know what his name is."

The cashier repeated "the black guy" slowly and in a curious manner, as if what I said was somehow inappropriate. I didn't think it was, but whatever. I don't think it's any different than identifying someone as having blonde hair or red hair.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:10:24 PM
A permanent term to refer to "African Americans" is yet to be landed upon. All Black people are decended from Africa, thus the term African Americans. The reason that some folks are 'offended' by the term is ecause it refers to our skin colour rather than our nationality. None of the other peoples of the earth are refered to by that reference. (Latinos, Asians, Caucasians)
There are a number of peoples that have yet to decide on a permenant name (The Native Peoples of America for one).
Do not pay it to much mind. I assure you that you will be safe with the term "African American" in mixed company... until there is a new term, anyways!!!
 Sardonis
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:13:12 PM
What about someone whose ethnicity is from a North African nation like Egypt or Morocco?

Are they African American?

If someone does not want to be seen as different, then they should not emphasize their differences.
 The_Standard_Model
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:14:41 PM

thats white guilt..... its not offensive to call white people white...{/quote]
Because white people are formally refered to as caucasian. Black people are still trying to decide upon a formal name.

because, as another poster said, not all blacks are from Africa.

All black people. ALL BLACK PEOPLE, are decendants from africa.

The term is meant to designate race not nationality. If the Northern Eygptian was an American, he would be correctly refered to as an African American.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:15:16 PM
My sense of the issue is that someone who wishes to be offended will find a reason to be; others, not so thin-skinned, may choose not to be.
Among my generation, the "n-word" was taboo, "black" was acceptable, and "afro-" was thought to be condescending. In today's political climate, "African-American" is favored (however, my white Egyptian neighbor finds it offensive, especially in reference to his children- Egypt, is, after all, part of Africa...).
I have observed many under-30s individuals of any race referring to themselves and/or their peers as the "n-word;" that, to me, is very offensive (but so are pants sagging, rap music, oversized clothes, "bling," and most "urban" music videos).
 vicious_vixen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:24:09 PM
nothing is politically correct anymore...someone, somewhere, will find offence somehow to any "term" used. i find it humorous though that "white" or "caucasians" can be referred to as "crackers" or "white trash" by people of other races and it's no big deal. i just stopped using any terms period to avoid any hoo-ha.
 COOLIN WATER
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:27:08 PM
Its like this.... it seems where ever a race is from is supposed to be what they are called right? example: latino, of latin decent but from the country of mexico,,, ok? Hispanic seems to cover central america, which then you have el salvador, chile, guatamala.. ok? White, from the caucasin race but from Europe, Russia, Greenland etc... now black is a color not a race, so if you want to break it down then it's like this..
Hebrews, from african decent but came from the continent of Africa which were sold into bondage for profit, it is noted Shake Zulu told the Caucasin race dont take my people, take them the Hebrew.... Also it really breaks down what tribe in Africa you were from so it was easy to say which is a poor way of saying it but calling us all black.
So black people are really considered Hebrews from Africa.
Black Panthers was really more of the power behind the movement not a color, the majestic powerful black panther which was a force to be reckoned with in the jungle which is life itself.
 SDBeachLifev2
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:35:30 PM
Why not get a life and call people what they are. For blacks they can be black or Negro and either term is just fine.
 weaselontoast
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:35:40 PM
The word cracker was used by blacks because there masters had whips. Thats where that whole thing came from. I still dont get how thats offensive though.

It's offensive to be called a "cracker" if you're not of the mindset of old-school southern white supremacists who cracked whips - because it implies that being caucasian, I'm therefore a whip-carrier or a descendant of them. I'm neither.

I grew up as an Air Force dependent, and never experienced racism or name-calling firsthand until I was in college in the 1980s. I had heard about it, seen it in movies, etc., but it wasn't the way I was raised and it was a nasty wake-up call. My parents saw to it that we experienced life among other cultures, and growing up as an American in Europe, we were the minority. Living in Atlanta the last 12 years, I see it now, often - on both sides. It's unfortunate that labels are necessary but some people prefer them as a means of identity, even of themselves. For the sake of respect, I'd like to know what people prefer to be called...but even within ethnicities, there is animosity about those labels. Some African-Americans whose ancestors were brought here as slaves, seem to resent recent African emigres sharing the "African American" label...I'm not sure I understand why - if someone could explain that, I'd be grateful.
 angelheart3
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:35:41 PM
I personally prefer to refer to people by their individual names, rather than their skin color or culture. If I don't know a person's name, I ask.

All this categorizing of groups of people by this or that politically correct label of the year I find to be quite diminishing to any individual. IMHO

B-DancerM
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:43:07 PM
Well for me when I'm in the US I like to be called African-American. To me it refers to a specific group of people with a particular experience, namely the descendants of enslaved Africans. Other people, well it's up to them. Like I would not call an immigrant from Africa (white or black) African-American. I might call their children (born and raised in the US) effectively African-American but I think it would be important to acknowledge their other cultural influences. My basic approach is to call people what they want to be called.

Black to me isn't an insult, I call myself black here in the UK because most people don't know what I'm talking about when I say African-American or they are expecting me to tell them which African country I or my parents come from (both sides of my family have a long history in the US and no cultural ties to any other country). I mostly consider people who identify with or descend from subsaharan indigenous peoples to be black.

I don't consider colored to be an insult per se. I'm more concerned witht he intent behind the label. I've met perfectly nice people who just haven't had enough exposure to black people to know if colored is an insult or not. If it is a casual conversation I'm even less inclined to care.

As far as confusion over labels and PC - well too bad. It's not up to you to decide what people call themselves and if that results in some discomfort on your part, well that's life and that's your part of the legacy that we all have to carry as a result of our collective history of racism. Be glad that's what you have instead of Jim Crow. Also, 'black' people are not one big group. They are varied and because they are different will choose different labels, just because you see them as one big bunch that should accept the same name doesn't mean they feel the same way.
 taogca
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2008 1:45:43 PM
op

think you will get as many diverse answers as there are ppl.

in my years, some blacks prefer being called ppl
some are fine with black
some prefer african american

all seem to balk if you try to call them by the [N] word,unless you are a black,african american or have a longtime working relationship with the particular person, then if they call you by the [N] word, its fine to call them the [N] word.

basicly in my experience some ppl want to be offended, so you are in a no win situation if you call them anything,or refer to them by anything but thier proper giving name if known.

hope this helps you
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Is it offensive to call a black person black?