Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Is there a brand of hardy grass seed that grows anywhere?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 luv to laugh
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is there a brand of hardy grass seed that grows anywhere?Page 1 of 1    
Last year I saw a clip on CTV news about a brand of grass seed that can grow on even the worse soil and it still looks beautiful. I didn't write the name down and when I e-mailed CTV, they said they don't respond to personal e-mails.

My back yard lawn looks crappy with bare spots even with a lawn service that comes in. I think the soil nutrients are being sapped by my neighbours huge maple tree whose roots are growing everywhere. If I could find this grass seed that grows in any type of soil, maybe I have a chance of having my back yard lawn look decent.

If anyone knows the name of this product, please let me know. Much appreciated.
 northernmiss
Msg: 2
Is there a brand of hardy grass seed that grows anywhere?
Posted: 4/8/2008 12:21:31 AM
my gurlfriend planted "eco'lawn" brand available from Wildflower Farms, it grows anywhere...google it....it sprouted up pretty fast and looked good last fall....it is still under 2 feet of snow so I cannot give you a spring report yet.
 luv to laugh
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:26:35 AM
Thanks northernmiss for the info. I looked up the site and printed the location and phone #. They don't start selling seed until April 18th, but I will call them. This year my lawn will look great.
 english lass
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:31:02 AM
astro turf!

hehe

nah, i have no clue, but good luck with the search!

YAY for spring!!!!

bufford54
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:37:46 AM
you might want to try "creeping red fescue" sold at most farm or garden based stores. It is usually mixed with other types of grass seed, but try to get the seed with the most red fescue content in it. This seed does well in shaded area"s as well. I used to grow the seed in northern British Columbia, and it is very hardy and fills in bare spots readily. Hope this helps, and don"t forget to add nitrogen fertilizer once the grass is established. I would also check the ground for grubs or any other types of critters that might be killing your grass, including pet urine.You may also need to add a little top soil. Remember to water in the evening with a good soaking to establish the roots. Also don"t cut your grass troo short, as this will burn it during the hot summer months. Good luck.
 How44
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:25:41 PM
When I was a teenager I knew some people that each year had hundreds of pot plants that came back on their own each year in a field behind their house.. They had to kill hundreds each year on purpose just so it wasn't a massive heatscore for choppers. Talk about your hardy grass that grows anywhere...
 How44
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:27:01 PM
Yep you could definately score a good deal on that stuff. It did the job, but was far from quality.
 Firmbear8
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/8/2008 10:03:15 PM
Well first thing lets work on why the big bare spots!
As it sounds like you might have a white grub infestation attaking the lawn.
What you want to do is dig up one of these bare spots and see what bugs you dig up!
If no lawn destroying grubs are found then just work up the bare spots so the dirt is loose and then mix in some fertilizer/water it down and let this sit for at least a week. Then just get the cheapest lawn seed you can find as grass seed of this type will grow almost any where ! Then scatter the grass seed thickly over these spots and rake it into the soil and your done.
Hybred grass seed needs lite /moist soil like black loom to grow in and is not cheap grass seed. . And if your soil is very sandy then hybred lawn seed is also not gonna do very well .
 hugs*n*hisses
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 4:43:36 AM
Not a big fan of chemicals if they can be avoided, but a good hose down of your lawn with Diazinon (sp?) or anything containing it, (there's another brand, sounds similar, but starts with 'M'), is designed to get rid of those grubs, if you have them, it always worked wonders for anyone I knew to have had that problem....available at hardware stores, Canadian Tire, etc.

Some great suggestions offered up already, as to cause. Another possibility....you wouldn't happen to have a black walnut tree growing on your property would you? They are notorious for not allowing anything else to grow around them. Salting your sidewalk and driveway in winter, then having to re-shovel after a subsequent snowfall, and pitching that snow mixed with salt onto your lawn, will also kill anything growing wherever it lands, for years. (Incidentally, salt is often used to kill weeds permanently between patio stones and the like because of this ability).

Feed mill/co-op type stores sell grass seed in bulk, with all types of mixtures, for poor soil, full sun, full shade, you name it...

Good luck, and happy mowing this year!

hnh
 hugs*n*hisses
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 6:12:17 AM
luv to laugh:

Boy, you weren't kidding about how difficult it is to get any info on archived special interest segments from CTV, I tried ten ways to Sunday, but no result for the nature of what you are looking for....

However, type 'growing grass under maple trees' into your browser....I read through several helpful links I found there, even one for a product called eco-lawn...learned something new myself, lol.

Hope that helps, hon!

hnh
 GEV10544
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/6/2009 11:06:48 AM
Yes, it is called "Canada Green"Fast growing grass seed and I believe it is available at Super Store or different hardware stores. It has been advertised recently on TV and you can Google it on the web. It is supposed to grow even on concrete.
 Celticmist
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/7/2009 10:21:20 AM
LOL well I am going to try and see if I can find some as my shady patch of ground has to be re-seeded every year.....sigh.....
 Firmbear8
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/7/2009 10:23:01 PM
LOL
Hope you plan on spending lots of money for that specal grass seed!
Yes all lawn & garden supply places sell this grass seed.
Even CTC sells sit and Home depot/Rona Cashway& probbly wally mart does now too!
But it is very pricey around $38 bucks per bag .
And no matter what brand or type of grass seed you get it will grow in wet areas/dry areas/shaddy area and sunny areas.
If you have a probblem with grass not growing in an area it could be something else casuing the probblem.
Trees/grubs/high human traffic /etc will kill grass.
All patio area's or spots you use alot should be using golf course heavy traffic type hearty grass seed.
 Celticmist
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/8/2009 6:29:27 AM
Actually it was $16.99 and not all grass grows in shady, wet areas. The lawn has been treated for grubs and very little walking on. I did ask an employee at Richie Feed and Seed, if there was a hardy grass for a shady wet area. He replied that if the area does not get a lot of light and tends to be wet, that the area may have to be seeded every year. If this seed gives me grass that lasts more than one year, it will be well worth the price.
 mspinkest
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 5:59:48 PM
Walmart has that brand on the infomercials that's touted as Miracle Grass...

Grows on concrete even with no dirt.

Good luck...
 Firmbear8
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/11/2009 6:35:04 PM
Yes that miro grow is supposed to grow anywhere on anything so might be something to try. Kentucky blue grass will grow in shady areas and also in very wet areas. And will not need to be reseeded the next year!
Some times the cheapy grass seed will do wonders in any area and sometimes better even if you need to redo it the next year!
Avoid narrow bladed grass for shady areas and also for wet areas.
There is another kind but its about $190 per ounce and it only grows in moist wet humid areas! Better known as canabus grass !HAHAHAHAHAHA
Yep had to say that one as whotook try's growing it every year !
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Is there a brand of hardy grass seed that grows anywhere?