Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Pets - Are they non negotiable      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LisaDobie
Msg: 1
Pets - Are they non negotiablePage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Had a nasty message off a guy saying I was silly for saying my pets are non negotiable and have to come as part of the package and a man should come first if thats what I want and why would I put my pets first when looking for a new partner- I did try reply to him but he had blocked me, Hmmm wuss

Anyway what are you views on this? Would you get rid of a loved pet to suit the man in your life?

I did have alot of pets including very large dogs (Dobermanns, Great Danes) and cats however I would never even consider a man who said he didn't like animals, If he wasn't keen but willing to tolerate I'd maybe ok with it.

I just have my cat now who is like my child I hand reared him as a kitten when he was found under a shed (he was born feral) he is now one of the most cuddly, friendly, affectionate cats many people have ever seen, we have an incredible bond.

After all his love is unconditional - I could get disfigured in an accident and he would still love me, He loves me no matter what, If I'm poorly he doesn't care if I look rough, He will go say hi to other women but still comes back to me

Maybe I should stick to a cat instead of a man lol
 PeterC
Msg: 2
Pets - Are they non negotiable
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:28:59 AM
I choose not to date dog lovers, but id never ask someone to get rid in place of me.
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:29:52 AM
I dont have a pet,but im a dog lover.
I think there's a lot to be said for a man who's an animal lover--- think they're just nicer people,in general.
Keep your precious pets, & hopefully you'll find a man who completely understands your love for your pets.....................

LisaDobie
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:31:19 AM
I did go on a few dates with a man scared of dogs......then he met mine and fell in love, He was going to take my Dobermann when I had to rehome her; However being a young Dobermann **** with mental problems (Canine version of autisum) she needed very experianced owners.

Strawbs - I think alot of men like them, Not many admit to hating animals lol 1 of my friends is a 6ft tall beefy bloke in the Navy while I was still on quarters he would spend alot of time at mine quite often I'd pop out then come back to find him laying in the floor playing with the animals or talking in baby talk to them lol
 Stinker*Belle
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:33:08 AM
I wouldn't get rid of my dog or my cats for a man....

Nah. They are totally non negotiable!!
 Nightwish3
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:38:33 AM
I wouldnt get rid of my pets for anything or anyone,, they would have to accept them as being part of me and if I went out with someone then they would be part of us. Ive had a couple of relationships where men didnt accept them and they where quickly showned the door, goodye!!! Love me love my pets is my motto!!!
 faithfey
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:39:08 AM
Mmmm well my ol' mutt is 20 now. he's outlasted my first love, and all my romantic mistakes

I have a kitten, will be getting an ex racing dog when my current mutt passes on. Part of my long term dream is to have an eglu and a couple of chickens in my back yard.

Some people are genuinely allergic to animals, luckily noone in that position has ever tried to date me. In that scenario I expect I would have to consider getting rid of my pets, but the man would have to be my soulmate.

I don't expect that someone with a genuine allergy or dislike of animals would find me a suitable potential partner. Pets are a lifestyle choice.

What a weirdo though to message you like that? How strange are some people?
 november babee
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/20/2008 2:58:39 AM
some people are just @ssholes,

not everyone is a dog/cat lover or animals in general.... and if your not, fine.. and if animals really bother you then choose someone who feels a similar way/or has similar veiws...
 Jansky1960
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:02:43 AM
I have 2 dogs, and would never even think of picking a guy over them. At the end of the day my dogs are a lot more faithfull
 mancdave
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:02:45 AM
We should all be accepting that whoever you choose to be with comes as part of a package.
Be it children, pets, ex's, hang-ups, whatever! We all come with some form of "baggage" and so if you don't want one aspect of it you either look elsewhere or you learn to accept it.

Example:

I did go on a few dates with a man scared of dogs......then he met mine and fell in love

Bloke makes the effort to get over a phobia to be with Lisa. He happly accepted the need for "compromise" (god, I feel like I'm on Sesame St!).

I don't expect that someone with a genuine allergy or dislike of animals would find me a suitable potential partner. Pets are a lifestyle choice.

You can get drugs (OTK from the chemist and/or from your GP) that will help with the allergies and again, if that's what it takes to be with the rest of the package then, I'll be first in the queue at the pharmacy for some high strength Zirtek and an Asthma inhaler!

If you can't or won't deal with your own "issues" with the other person's pets that you have to move on...

WHO WOULD SAY, IT'S YOUR KIDS OR ME?????
 - Hula Moo -
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:03:01 AM
Definitely non-negoiatiable.
I had a cat that outlasted two husbands, if that doesn't demonstrate that your pets will stick around then I don't know what does.
 weinundrosen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:15:50 AM
I just can't imagine dating someone who didn't like animals - we wouldn't get on! So yes, my pets are non negotiable - love me, love my pets.
 Gucci Girl
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:21:36 AM
I would never get rid of a pet for a man.

But when you are looking for a partner isnt it usual to find someone who has similar likes & dislikes to you, and obviously animals are a big part of their owners lives?

He sounds like a kn0b, think yourself lucky you didnt have to endure a date with him OP.
 mancdave
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:22:46 AM

What about its the whippets or me???

Nah, t'whippets can stay in t'yard. The kids only go out to use t'outside lavvy!

Crumpet4Tea
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:48:47 AM
Har Har !! message 11; Hula ...

I love it !!

I come with 3 kids, 2 cats, something dodgy I can't quite reach under the washing machine, some grass that needs cutting and various other odds and ends.

These are all non negotiable.
 Tinky2
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:53:30 AM
I'm pretty sure my profile states that my animals are completely non negotiable too (and I'm also hideously allergic to all animal fur but still keep them anyway) - however I've never had any negative massages because of this.

I often wonder why people say "its the pets/animal or me".Do they think its some kind of power kick or a 'proof' of how important they are in someones life? Then they moan when they don't like that answer.

Agreed - petty power trip which usually leaves them with 'egg on their face' (just to follow on from another thread about breakfast.....)

I wouldn't think much of someone who got rid of a pet just for someone else.

I'm with you on this one too

Happy Sunday :)
 maggy456
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/20/2008 3:59:41 AM
Your animals were there first.

If he doesnt like it, he can leave.

It is just a cat (sorry your baby), what could possibly be the big deal.

If it was me, i would corrupt the cat to love me more then you. xx
 cheekyjules
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:29:14 AM
NO WAY I have the coolest cat in warwickshire
My kids are besotted with the perfect puss and I would never change anything in my life like that to suit a man I JUST started mailing or dating.
stuff em
 outofthedesert
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:32:33 AM
My four legged dog hangs around long after the two legged "DOG" leaves in search of new territory.........

Disclaimer: no, not all men are dogs.
 andrew1961
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:35:49 AM
Me and mymogster come as a pair.I would think very poorly of someone who asked me to get rid of him.I wouldnt do it.It really is that simple.
 restless_native
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:40:02 AM
I think lots of thinks in a relationship can be negotiable. I don't think it's possible to generalise really as it depends upon your feelings for the other person. The only thing that isn't negotiable with any partner as far as I'm concerned is that they have to be able to deliver a satisfying blow job.
 Melley
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:47:13 AM
I would not date someone who did not like dogs. I think a test is when they first meet your dog or whichever pet, is their reaction to it - body language says it all. If they shyed away from my dog, then would not see them again. Case of love me love my dog!
 wwozzer1968
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:47:42 AM
I had a few dates with a girl and her mutt was constantly trying to get at my crotch which considering it was a staffy made me very effing nervous, she loved it to bits so i did the decent thing and left them to it.
 rasputing
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 5:06:43 AM
i have three dogs i wouldnt part with them there loyal and dont answer back one my kids come with has she has learning diffs i tell women on here this upsets me because you women say you want a honest man from the start i tell you some dont even reply hence i say perfere dogs to people has one dog has savedmy life once tell you why
my late wife who died leaving me with kids and dogs and four thousand quid in dept
i tried to kill myself one dog grabbed the knife i held in my hand has i was going to slit my wrist and ran out of the house with it in its teeth the dog came back my bowie knife was lost i am glad now she did that thank you sheba for now i am out of dept and its taken me 5 years to pay it off sheba died two years ago hence i had 4 now i am down to three two german shepherds which i cant speak a word off and a border collie hence no sheep but one kid of 23 and she has a mind of 16 but would i change them if someone who would not tollarate them hell no not rasputing (Tony real name his me)
 cheekyjules
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 5:20:36 AM

staffy made me very effing nervous, she loved it to bits so i did the decent thing and left them to it.

Dont really blame you not a staffy lover at all.. and dare I say it.......
I see them as the perfect accessorie to complete the chav look
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Pets - Are they non negotiable