Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Toronto Blue Jays fans      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bigjd-rockin
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fansPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Fire John Gibbons!

Come On Blue Jays fans!
Let's get a rally started all over the province or the country for that matter. Let's get the Jays fans to start chanting "fire Gibbons" at the Jays games like the Leafs fans did for Ferguson at their games.
I was saying it in the off season,when I heard fellow Blue Jays fans say they are going to be one of the best this season,that they are still going nowhere so long as Gibbons is the manager of this club.
He does not know how to manage a major league ball club. He runs the team like he is running a local two pitch team in his hometown. He looks during a game like he thinking about where his buddies next barbecue is after the game and who will be buying the beer,instead of focusing on the game in progress.
Fire him! Get him out of here.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 2
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 4/27/2008 7:00:35 AM
Although I agree with getting rid of "Gibbons", I think they should trade the Doc! Let him go to a winning team! He is the only Blue Jay that shows his worth every time he steps on the field.

The Blue Jays are a bunch of "losers"....the one thing they do on a consistent basis, is find a way to lose!! It has been the same thing with the Maple Leafs and Raptors! I'm so sick of hearing that old excuse "we are rebuilding!"

I am a Blue Jays fan....but these poor ole millionaires need a lesson in class. They certainly don't have any right now! The only professionalism I see is coming from the Doc and Matt Stairs, the rest seem to be wannabe's!

As they sit right now, they are no better than a 500 ball club at best, and will NOT be able to stay with the Red Sox or Yankees.
 slysterling
Msg: 3
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 4/27/2008 7:02:31 AM
"""Fire him! Get him out of here..."""

Take the GM as well. The JP guy's record isn't that great in his 6 years there. Almost the very same as Gord Ash's 6 years if you can believe that. Plus no playoffs still. Our best players are still Vernon Wells, Alex Rios and Doc Halladay; all from pre-Riccardi days. i thought this guy was supposed to be the second coming of Billy Beane. Instead he lies to the fans on players injury status and treats the players like cattle. So we'll get a 500 baseball club thru to 2010 by the looks of it. He makes it hard to be a Jays fan. And after it took me nearly twenty years to become one thru tv osmosis.lol I should have stuck with the Red Sox all those years.

Nice swallow on the Thomas deal.

Where have you gone Pat Gillick, Paul Beeston and Cito? No whiff of playoffs since their back to back Series wins in 92 and 93.
JP Riccardi
 2sadbuttrue
Msg: 4
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 4/27/2008 8:58:06 AM
Gibby may be the problem with how long he leaves pitchers in and such but the hitters cannot get timely hits with runners in scoring pos.
Double play balls and striking out seem to be the case.
What looked to be a promising season turns out to be the same old .
WHY did they get rid of johnson for stewart? Does not seem to compute for me!
boo jays
 slysterling
Msg: 5
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 5/30/2008 10:22:42 AM
Don't look now but how 'bout those Bluejays sporting the major's best ERA roughly one third of the way thru the sked. Good starting rotation. 6 complete games, 6 shutouts and a major league leading batting average against of .234. And, maybe, just maybe, those sleepy jays bats are starting to wake up. Are the jays going to contend this year? Have to hope this pitching holds up, but right now it looks like one of the best rotations they've ever had in their 32 years.
 musicfan1980
Msg: 6
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 5/30/2008 11:02:11 AM

Gibby may be the problem with how long he leaves pitchers in and such but the hitters cannot get timely hits with runners in scoring pos.
Double play balls and striking out seem to be the case.
What looked to be a promising season turns out to be the same old .
WHY did they get rid of johnson for stewart? Does not seem to compute for me!
boo jays

As a Cub fan, i thank the Blue Jays for releasing Reed Johnson! He has done a great job for us in center field & i believe we will see you guys next month in Toronto during interleague play.
 Matty.0082
Msg: 7
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:34:06 AM
I miss Reed Johnson.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 8
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:58:07 AM
Don't blame the Blue Jays management: They are just following a tested, tried and true Toronto standard, which, if followed to a T, guarantees the most devoted fan base in its sport, regardless of success on the field. I'm speaking, of course, of the Toronto Maple Leaf formula. You know the one ... promise, promise, promise, never produce, but the fans come out anyway.
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:14:25 AM
I don't agree with Mandrake's analysis of the Blue Jays. You claim that they are no better thab a 500 ball club. As of today they're record is 31-28 that is 3 games ABOVE 500. While I agree that the Red Sox will be hard to catch, the Yankees are 1.5 games BEHIND the Blue Jays. I think that it is still a bit too early to make an assesment of where the Blue Jays or any team for that matter will finish. Do you really think that Tampa Bay will win the East? Realistically I think that The Red Sox will win, but I wouldn't count out the Yankees or the BlueJays. Personally I think that the Blue Jays will win a wild card. The Blue Jays problem this year is their hitting. They have the best pitching staff in MLB,but can't seem to hit. Hopefully that will change.

Mark
 prairie pundit
Msg: 10
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:24:57 AM
"As of today they're record is 31-28 that is 3 games ABOVE 500."

I smell a 5-game losing streak coming up
 slysterling
Msg: 11
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:31:52 AM
"""...Don't blame the Blue Jays management: They are just following a tested, tried and true Toronto standard,..."""

^^^that management style doesn't work in toronto for baseball and basketball. Probably since they're not shall we say " homegrown' sports. Raptors found that out in a hurry with a half empty ACC when we had some high priced primadonnas on our squad a few years back. Hence the need for Collangelo to come in a and breath fresh air into the franchise.

When jays were fielding a winning ball club they were one of only two franchises ( the almighty Dodgers were the other) to top the 4 million fan mark in a season back in 92 and 93. From about 85 on they started really getting on a roll with bell, barfield and Shaker Moseby patrolling the outfield and Jimmy Key and Steib anchoring the rotatation and Henke and Wardo showing up for the bullpen. 4 straight sub 500 years after two straight world series championships tends to thin out the crowds. Mind you that wouldn't happen in leafland, but leafland is unique. Probably something similar to long suffering Cubs fans. See if the BlackHawks are mediocre they don't fill the building either. They showed a 35% increase at the gate this year with all their promising youngsters flirting with a playoff spot down to the last few days of the sked.

Nowadays, Jays aren't even drawing three quarters of those 4 million numbers; several years not even half. From 00 to 05 they didn't draw 2 million to their park.

Selling baseball or basketball in Toronto is like selling hockey in Fla or Arizona. The only thing that really sells is winning. Right now they're middle of the pack in attendance. A lot of it I think has to do with our short summers. If they're not winning, most folks around Ontario can find a thousand other things to do than drive down into Toronto to catch a ball game.

In their early years when they really sucked my chums and I used to sit in the bleachers all day at the 'Mistake by the lake' on doubleheaders for something like 7 bucks for the day and yell at Ron Leflore and the Bird Fidrych, Freddy Lynn, Rice, Lyman Bostock, etc etc. Jerry Garvin and Dave Lemanczyk were the aces back then shortly before a guy called Dave Steib showed up. The they started to be a better ball club but back then we were just happy to have baseball. Now they have to fight for that entertainment dollar and fielding so so .500 ballclubs just doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to the gate.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TOR/attend.shtml
 Korrrosive
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 10:56:53 AM
I don't have to mention anything already mentioned, as I agree completely.

One comment about Gibbons though. This is a guy that had Matt Stairs batting leadoff last year for a few games.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 13
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:10:31 PM
Speaking of batting orders, I think the funniest thing I ever saw was about 3 years ago when the Jays' DH was in the number-nine slot. How pathetic is that? Think about it: you have a position relegated to those who can not play defence, and by slotting him #9, you're basically saying he's your weakest link on offence!!.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 1:17:58 PM
prairie pundit, I don't remember when they slotted the DH in the 9th position. If it was, like you said 3 years ago, it may make sense because they were a good team and finished in second place ahead of Boston, but behind the Yankees. If you posistion your DH in the 9th spot, it's probably because you have too good a team. Someone has to hit 9th, even in the ALL STAR game. It's not as bad a move as you make it to be.

Mark
 shay74
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 5:46:55 PM
The one thing that absolutely drives me nuts about the Jays is that they have always refused to play "small ball". The almighty bunt is a lost art within this franchise it seems. How many times have we witnessed this scenario: runners on first and second, no outs. At a time when the Jays are starved for offence, wouldn't it make sense to bunt the runners over into scoring position? That was a sac fly or even a ground-out would score a run. But NO! The Jays just sit there, waiting for that one key hit. More often than not they hit into a double play and . . . I'm left shaking my head yet again.

I can only imagine what a good National League manager - like Tony LaRussa or Felipe Alou - would do with this team.

And one more thing . . . Shannon Stewart over Reed Johnson??? What the hell were they thinking???
 prairie pundit
Msg: 16
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/2/2008 5:53:32 PM
How about runner on third with no outs and not converting!
Seen that twice in the same game a couple of weeks ago.
Small ball is the reason the NL is more exciting to watch than the AL. It's more of a chess game.
I think it's also why the LA Angels are as successful as they are: Mike Scioscia thinks like an NL manager.
They'll steal on any count, attempt 1st to 3rd on a single to any part of the field ... it's just fun to watch. And you can't say that about most baseball games in June
 Vindicator
Msg: 17
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/19/2008 5:00:20 PM
hmmm. they have really been sucking the big one as of late. they can't finish of plays...or hit and run textbook situations for runs earned. Is it time to look for a new manager 9again?) or....does a manager really 'matter' in baseball...with all of the high salaries and egos the sport brings on? Personally, I think that they should fire Gibbons...
 slysterling
Msg: 18
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 11:01:18 AM
"""...I think that they should fire Gibbons..."""

A hitting coach would be a nice addition as well. Maybe they can run Riccardi out of town as well while they're at it. Now he's dissing guys in Cincinnatti. This guy is a poor excuse for an exec. Clown is right.

Dunn calls J.P. a 'clown'
Reds outfielder zinged by Jays GM

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/Toronto/2008/06/20/5936481-sun.html

I'd be surprised if most jays fans haven't had enuff of this riccardi guy by now. One year he alienates his own clubhouse by calling out Vernon Wells and a few others and then apologizing for his comments a week or so later. The next year he lies to the fans about a signing pitcher needing pretty much season-ending surgery but still hasn't bothered apologizing to jays fans for that oversight. And now, he seems to think it's cool to diss other clubs players that don't even play in our own league. What in the world is with that? Time for this GM to go....

Jays need to start shaking the tree up near the top.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 19
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 11:56:51 AM
Well sly, the tree got shook and the bad apple fell to the ground.. Gibbons got fired today and will be replaced by Cito Gaston, according to Fox Sports.

The man was coming unraveled last year already and should have been fired at the end of last season....I'm not sure Gaston will be much better, tho. The Jays have a fantastic ball team, play in a tough division and need quality leadership at the helm.
 slysterling
Msg: 20
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 1:49:03 PM
Oh my goodness jamiebaby, that is good news. Good ole Cito back at the helm. You're right that the roster's not that bad. Let's see if he can recapture some of that old magic he had 15 years ago.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 21
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 2:24:16 PM
Cito's back....

Now all the Jays need is Gruber, Joe Carter, Alomar, and Dave Winfield back. And the Jays can win World Series.

Hopefully Cito does something good.
 slysterling
Msg: 22
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 3:40:50 PM
you forgot a few guys there wizzy like Johnny O, Paully Molly, Jack Morris, Tom the terminator henke, Wardo and so on and so on.

But hey, they've got our old hitting coach back in Gene Tenace so maybe they'll be able to sport better than a 255 batting average thru the last 90 games. 60 and 30 down the stretch should get them back in to the picture. haha

Actually 60 and 30 would give the jays the same record as 93's championship squad.

It'd be nice to see some fundamental station to station baseball being played in toronto for the first time in their history like the one poster wrote. Toronto fans have never truly seen a really good fundamental squad that could actually lay down a bunt, steal bases, or a sac fly or take the ball the opposite way.

Ok...
Blue jays..
Let's
play
ball.

ps. Congrats to your celts by the way. Seems like only yesterday Bird, McHale and Parrish going against magic, kareem and Worthy...22 years flies by in a heartbeat.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 23
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/20/2008 4:52:44 PM

ps. Congrats to your celts by the way. Seems like only yesterday Bird, McHale and Parrish going against magic, kareem and Worthy...22 years flies by in a heartbeat.

Thanks Sly....You're alright in books. Two for you.... And a great be hug.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 24
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/21/2008 11:08:16 AM
The Jays need to change the uniform back to their early 90's throwbacks ....I still hate the new ones. They look like the TB Rays.
 Just alittle crazy
Msg: 25
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/22/2008 1:48:10 PM

Thanks Sly....You're alright in books. Two for you....And a great be hug.

Wiz seems your always trying to get some one in a room with you! Sly watch out!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Toronto Blue Jays fans