Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Banning Smoking In Cars With Kids Present      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cherrybomb66
Msg: 1
Banning Smoking In Cars With Kids PresentPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Finally a governement By-Law I can support.
Someone caught smoking in a vehicle with children inside that are under 16 years old will soon face fines and could even be refused drivers or vehicle licences if they don't pay.
Currently in Nova Scotia the fines are between $50 and $200. Apparently, fines within BC have not been decided yet, but enforcement will be up to local police and RCMP.
Although many will argue that allowing legislation of this sort further encourages Big Brother to intrude in our lives I feel its sadly required because people continue to subject children to second hand smoke knowing that it is seriously detrimental to their health.

What are your thoughts?
 Xavery
Msg: 2
Banning Smoking In Cars With Kids Present
Posted: 4/28/2008 6:38:47 PM
I thought it was already illegal for adults to smoke when children are in a car with them. It makes sense because children in cars with adults smoking would be really getting a concentrated dose of second hand smoke.
 1potato2potato3potato4
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/28/2008 6:41:54 PM
I say, at least they are trying!

Perhaps it will help to educate people that second hand smoke does kill and we have to be especially careful around young children.

I recall when there was a smoking ban put on all establishments the common anal attitude was "how can they stop us all from smoking in an establishment" or " I am going to smoke anyhow, as they can not possibly enforce this by-law". Well, it did take some time and now smokers are not even allowed close to the door. Rome was not built in a day. We all have to do our part and educate as well as be educated.

btw "too" means "as well"
 * L *
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:00:12 PM
good

its a good law
 Delarosa
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:08:50 PM
To start - automobile manufacturers should stop putting ashtrays in cars.
 jetty65
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:12:39 PM

To start - automobile manufacturers should stop putting ashtrays in cars.

I just bought a new car it didn't come with an ashtray.
 1potato2potato3potato4
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:17:53 PM
I bought a new vehicle also and it did not have an ashtray and the "old" cigarette lighter is now called a power source.. or something like that.. as I said, Rome was not built in a day, but every little bit helps.

**Protect our kids****
 c note
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:32:23 PM
Yes, all smokers are evil murders. *lights up a Number7*

So I can't contribute to the deaths of bratty adolescents, but adults are fair game. Cool. I'll still need someone to terrorize with my steely gaze, so it's a minor sacrifice.

No children are ever allowed in a vehicle I am traveling in anyway. Horrifying. *shudder*
 genuine29
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 7:32:57 PM
most vehicles have has ashtrays as optional equipment for a long time now. ( its pretty hard to get the smell out of a car and makes it harder to sell )
they sell it as a ashtray that fits into a cup holder slot and the cigarette lighter that fits into...........................
a good law
 Celticlass2
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/28/2008 8:18:51 PM
I never thought I'd say this about our Liberal government... but...I'm glad that they have had the guts to introduce this law... in spite of the whining... for the sake of the health of our kids. This law will stop most people from smoking with the kids in the car regardless of whether or not it can be enforced because most people want to abide by the law...no matter how addicted they are to nicotine. Yikes...maybe we should tell all the smokers that it isn't the nicotine that kills people though...it's all the chemicals in the smoke. I mean really...how can we not pass a law like this if it's not okay to smoke in public indoor spaces for the sake of everyone's health, how can we allow people to smoke up their kid's air in the privacy of their cars??? We just know too much now about how much everyone's health is affected by cigarette smoke and inevitably...everyone will just keep on paying more for healthcare if we don't have an action plan for minimizing the devastating effects of this habit regardless of whether or not a car is a private place.
 Sir Raffarott
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 8:29:07 PM
This tells you how f*cking stupid some people are when the government has to bring in a law like this. It should be common sense.
 Xavery
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/28/2008 8:59:40 PM
^I think I actually agree with you, SR.
 MissyBehaving
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/28/2008 9:13:22 PM
I totally support any law that protects those who cannot speak for themselves or control their own environment.

~Missy~
 themaven
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/28/2008 9:30:45 PM

This tells you how f*cking stupid some people are when the government has to bring in a law like this. It should be common sense.

I honestly don't know why it is called COMMON sense....cuz it really isn't all that COMMON!!

I have to agree as well.....sadly that is more often the case, requires an enforceable law and still there will be people moaning, griping and getting fined!
 Delarosa
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/28/2008 10:12:16 PM
LOL thanks Genuine - didn't know that about the ashtrays.
(can you tell I haven't bought a car in a long time!)
All kidding aside - I don't think not smoking in cars when you have children present is an obvious option to many people with addictions. Common sense goes out the window when we need to have that fix. Some people even think it's safe to drive and smoke if the window is open.
Same with throwing cigarettes out the window of a moving car. It can blow back into the rear of the car, nestle in between the cushions and smolder for hours, or blow into the window of another passing car.
 Celticlass2
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/29/2008 7:56:47 AM
Stupid or not raffy, human nature is what it is. If it's a law, the majority of people take it to the next level and eventually it becomes "common" sense. (Hope nobody peed in your cornflakes this morning).
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/29/2008 7:56:52 AM
Sir Raff

Xavery

^I think I actually agree with you, SR.

I totally support any law that protects those who cannot speak for themselves or control their own environment.

and on that note ^^^ how long before they can make it illegal for a Pregnant woman to smoke/ drink etc.???

If we love our children ( our very futures) with all our hearts why is this such a stretch?????
 MissyBehaving
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/29/2008 8:27:36 AM
^^^^^^^^

If we love our children ( our very futures) with all our hearts why is this such a stretch?????

BECAUSE............

how f*cking stupid some people are

lol

~Missy~
 mini_skittles
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/29/2008 2:30:09 PM
I would support it always. Sometimes when I drive to do shopping and banking during the day, I see adults smoking in the car with kids in the back I thought it was sad.
People who are caught smoking in their cars should be fined.

:p
 cwolfy6669
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/29/2008 4:04:44 PM
it wont last.....just like the law that was there for people to wear bike helmets when they were riding their bikes on the street...they cant fine u if u dont have a helmet on....discriminatory now since east indians dont have to wear them......they tried to do the cell phone law where u cant talk on the phone and drive at the same time...i see cops doing it all the time...so if they can anyone can.....and i have yet to be stopped and fined for that....and i even went thru a road check and they did nothing.....what next are they going to try to do.....make a law that states u cant drink coffee and drive at the same time....someone might spill their coffee and burn themselves causing a accident.....bringing some idiot in the government to regulate a law hoping it will stop accidents....people need to grow up and live like adults...its common sense....the government should be going after the tabacoo companies that make the cigarettes and making laws so that it is hard to sell and make cigarettes....
 Miss_Tink13
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/29/2008 4:22:41 PM
I am for and against this idea.

Now, they are saying that it will be illegal to smoke in your vehicle with children becasue it is harming them.

Now, take that same theory - hurting children- shouldn't this mean that Abortion should be illegal as well... same theory -- hurting children.
 coastguy1950
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/29/2008 4:28:53 PM
If the government is serious about enforcing this law,make first offence a fine
of $1ooo.00. Make next offence $2000.00.
If parents or adults can afford to smoke, they can afford to pay the fine.
All children deserve a smoke free environment.
If adults smoke in their homes around children, their priorities are self evident.
 eastcoastgrl
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/29/2008 5:17:03 PM
Wow - what a warm nuturing person you are. A real winner fo sho....
 Delarosa
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:57:49 PM
We know that other people's health is compromised by second hand smoke. What about pets? Surely Fido is affected by his master's cigarette smoke!
Animals have rights too!
 Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/29/2008 7:23:53 PM
that is very true Delarosa,... I worked for a vet for years and I can't tell you how many pets, particularly small dogs, came in with lung cancer or similar pulmonary diseases...... hmmm yet all those people saddened by the loss and suffering their pets were going through still refused to believe that ANIMALS get cancer.

OT: although cars are small confined spaces it isn't much different from what they are exposed to at home anyhow.

Side note: incidence of chronic ear infections in children of smokers is HUGE!!!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Banning Smoking In Cars With Kids Present