Looking to Host a POF Party?
Thank you for your interest in hosting a POF event! I am the Event Moderator here at POF, and I would love to help you get started in planning a great party with us! Our events are the best way to meet single people in your area, and bring your online connections into the real world! Before you host your first party, please be sure to read our rules and guidelines thoroughly. Failure to do so may result in your event being removed and your hosting privileges being revoked.
If you are a first time event host, or have questions that are unanswered here, please contact me on POF at Event Moderator.
Please keep in mind that POF reserves the right to take any action we deem appropriate to ensure that events are carried out in good faith and in the spirit of the intent in which they were written. The rules are written in the broadest possible terms with examples provided for clarification.
For additional Help, Requests and/or Issues Contact your Event Moderator.
Working Out The Details
To be sure both you as a host and your venue of choice adhere to POF event standards, please review the points below. If any of the following apply to you, please refrain from posting to prevent being classified as spam or completely removed from the site.
- You are a professional event or party planner, club promoter, or own/work at the venue where you want to host.
- You are looking to benefit financially in any way from hosting an event.
- You are looking for free advertising space, or to promote your business/ a friend’s business.
- You are promoting events from an existing external singles group.
- You are a charity/non-profit, or are looking for donations to benefit another organization.
- You are looking to host a private event. If you want to hold a private event, do so via private message instead.
- You are advertising an event that could be considered “adult” in nature.
- You are attempting to host at a venue that has minimum attendance requirements.
- You have had your forum privileges removed.
- You are attempting to post an event that has already been removed, or in the place of another user who has lost their forum rights.
Getting Started: Before Posting Your Event
- Until you have posted several events with us, please do not post your event in the Event Hosts Forum. This particular forum is meant to promote open dialogue amongst established event hosts. Brand new event hosts will not have access to this yet.
- Before you post your event, you can remove your mail settings that would block potential guests from emailing you with questions about your event.
- Make sure you post your event well in advance (maximum 2 months in advance), but no more than one time in the forums.
- Coordinate with other event hosts in the area so you are not planning parties for the same night. If there are continued disagreements between two hosts, events will be pulled and hosts will be asked to change the date and time of their event. However, if the events are different in nature, for example, a camping trip and a cocktail hour, this should not be an issue.
- Ensure you have a photo uploaded of yourself so you can be recognized and approached at your event. Events held by hosts who have main images tend to appear more credible, and encourage users to sign up.
- Create your event to include all POF members of all ages. You are welcome to include a “suggested age range” for the event, but in order to comply with our guidelines, everyone must be welcome or the event will not go forward.
- Please do not attempt to post more than four events per month. Failure to comply with this will be considered spamming.
Posting the Perfect Event Thread
Create your event thread in your local forums (your Province/State) Singles Events sub forum, paying attention to the the city, date, venue name, and any small description you wish. For example, Toronto - July 1st 2012 8:00pm - The Unicorn Pub – POF Dart Tournament.
The body of the event thread must include the following:
- What: A brief outline of activities/schedule for the party.
- Where: Venue name and address.
- When: Date and time. Don’t forget to add the correct party details
- Who: Hosts and cohosts.
Please be as specific as possible with venue directions, especially for large urban centres, lodging, or any other special considerations. You may want to include a Google map or link in the body of your post.
- The body of the thread (not the subject line) can be written in different font sizes, colours, bolding and underlining. It may also include any images of the venue or map diagrams.
- If this is your first event thread and you are new to hosting, your thread will appear in your local forum for approval by the Event Moderator. If approved, your event thread will be moved to (your Province/State) Singles Events sub forum.
- If you want to expedite the process by sending your party to the Event Moderator, don’t forget to include the thread URL in your message – this will appear in the address bar of your browser when you view the event thread.
- When your event gets moved to the Event Sub forum, a “Sign-up” button will appear for users to inform you of their intention to attend your event.
- If you cannot locate your event thread, go to “My Forums” at the top right of the forums.
Once you post your event, you will see two email options appearing in green: “Mass Email”, and “Mass Email Current Event Attendees ONLY”.
- These email options are available only to the event host, so co-hosts do not have this ability.
- When you send out your “Mass Email”, it will notify all POF users in the surrounding area about your party.
- This email relies on a case sensitive zip code that you will enter, so please be sure it is correct, along with the date. You can review your email in your Sent Messages.
- New hosts will need a minimum of 20 users to sign up to send out the “Mass Email”. After you have hosted a few events you will not need a minimum to send it out.
- Please be advised that you only get one “Mass Email” per event, and this cannot be reset. Be sure to follow the instructions that are provided carefully.
- You may send the “Mass Email Current Event Attendees ONLY” as many times as you need.
Fees & Giveaways
POF Events are meant to be held by our members for our members, with minimal cost. If you are involved with a venue with a high cover charge, find another place to hold your party.
Small cover charges are acceptable if they are considered normal course of operation. It may be possible to negotiate a group rate with the venue.
You may not charge members at the door to cover the cost of entertainment or any extra add-ons if it is going into your pocket. If the event is costing you money, you need to find a new venue.
Any venue with a cover charge of $7 or more must be pre-approved by Event Moderator prior to posting. In London, U.K., and New York this limit is $15, and exceptions may be granted during the holiday season.
50/50 draws, raffles, or any money collecting schemes are not to be included in POF events.
Members will not be granted free entry in exchange for another paid service.
Prizes/giveaways funded by the venue will not require remuneration or donations from guests.
Posting Event Photos: Do’s and Don’ts
As the event host, you will have the exclusive rights to post pictures taken at your event. You can do so by starting an Event Photo Thread after the party has taken place. Please be advised that as event host, you are responsible for the images at the party. You can upload your images by following the instructions below:
- Log into forums and find your original post for your party. Below the images of the users who signed up for your event you will see a link: “Create a new thread to upload images taken of this party”.
- Click the link, give your Event Photo thread the same title as your Original Event thread, and be sure to click “Post”. You will find your photo thread in your local State/Province forum, not in the Singles Events sub forum.
- Please ensure that all posted images are relevant to the event, and represent POF in a positive way. As per our image guidelines, pictures with nudity, overly lewd or suggestive behaviour will be removed and may result in your hosting privileges being revoked.
- If a member wishes to have a picture removed, please respect this issue of privacy and comply with their request.
After Your Event
Your event thread will be locked to enable new events to appear at the top of the list.
People who attended may be commenting or discussing your event in posts under the original thread – this is welcome! Please keep this dialogue constructive, and relevant to the event.
Please help us keep the forums streamlined by keeping all post-event discussions to the one main event thread.
Hosting Your Next Event
As you post multiple events, you will no longer need to contact your Event Moderator for approval. When you create your event thread in the Singles Events sub forum, approval will be automatic. Be advised that your events will still be under scrutiny and need to abide by the rules, so contact Event Moderator if you have questions.
When the event thread gets moved to the Event Sub forum a button that says “Join This Event!” will appear for users to show their intent. Please be advised that it is not mandatory for users to sign up for an event first in order to attend, so do not mention that as being the case.
Keep in mind that mixing attendance of events with members of the public encourages new users to join POF – so we’re fine with that too.
Something Went Wrong, What Now?
If you are having problems posting your event, your session may have simply timed out, so follow the instructions and try again. If you are still failing after repeated attempts, you may have lost your forum privileges. Please contact your Event Moderator for clarification.
If you posted your event and find yourself no longer able to host it, you can either get your co-host to take over, or contact your Event Moderator to remove the event so you can reschedule it.
If you attended an event that you feel did not comply with our rules and guidelines, please do not hesitate to contact your Event Moderator , who will look into it immediately.
Most Importantly: Have a wonderful time hosting your POF event and meeting new people!
For additional Help, Requests and/or Issues Contact your Event Moderator.