Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Adam n Eve      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bewitched_
Msg: 1
Adam n EvePage 1 of 1    
Just curious, were Adam n Eve created as children, or full grown adults? How old would they be the day they were created? (not chronologically but biologically)
 BPMG
Msg: 2
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 2:26:23 PM
following from www.nazarenepastor.org/pdf/mod_bhpfac.pdf

Theological Anthropology
Early on, Eastern theologians view the human person
in a very, very positive light. They stress the
significance of the imago Dei—image of God—and are
highly optimistic about human potential in this life. The
Fall of Adam and Eve is conceptualized in this way:
Adam and Eve were created perhaps as children, not
as mature adults! Therefore their fall to temptation is
seen very sympathetically. The Fall in the West is seen
as the dramatic undoing of humanity. Adam was
created as a mature, perfect human being with original
perfection. The Fall severely damaged, if not destroyed
the imago Dei. The Fall was into complete darkness.
Human potential is thus severely limited in this life.
If they were created as adults, I don't find anything that even implies an age.

Chuck
 SweetTreat
Msg: 3
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 2:30:01 PM
I've always been under the *impression* they were created as adults. However, I've never heard a definate on either side.
 Frivolimous
Msg: 4
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:05:48 PM
there is a tradition that states Adam was 20 years old after the fall from the garden - which indicates the moment that the first human soul was implanted into a physical host.
 BPMG
Msg: 5
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:10:44 PM
Interesting frivolimous, I think I get it.

Chuck
 Vocaleze
Msg: 6
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:42:34 PM
I am under the impression you mean that if Adam & Eve really existed. I personally believe that it was a metaphorical story. Anyway, if they did exist, I would guess they were adults, so they could populate the area as soon as possible.
 koleco
Msg: 7
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:47:42 PM
to add some fuel to the fire...

in the first 2 chapters of genesis, adam means "mankind" and eve means "womankind" when translated from the original hebrew words for them.

in chapter 3, they change. adam is now a name for a person, eve is a name for a woman.

i find it a little interesting that this basic fact goes untaught in most christian churches / organizations.

to add a little more credibility to this.. when cain kills able he is kicked out of the garden and lives in the land of Nod. Nod.. the land.. now a land must be filled with cities? and there for people? ..he finds a wife there... hmmmm..
 EdwardVII
Msg: 8
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 6:40:07 PM
There are a few interesting items in Genesis, not the least of which is "There were giants in those days", and there were the "sons of God", who (no doubt) had mothers, in addition, there were the Ephilim, so it seems Cain had a number of groups tochoose from.

I just checked in a site called Genesis, as I didn't have my bible to hand, and this group is defending creationism. They do not have any comprehensive response to the question "Who were the sons of God and the Ephilim mentioned in Genesis? Very interesting...(Genesis, 6:4)

The land of nod was undoubtedly filled with sons (and hopefully)daughters of God, as well as the ubiquitous Ephilim. Also, Cain (like everyone else in those days) lived to healthy age (probably 300 or so), and would have had time to wait for a wife or two to grow up from the families he found there (in Nod). I think everyone lived longer then because there were no taxes, or polution, or heavy stress. Well, maybe not. The devil after all was walking around tempting people in person, right under the nose of God.

Because of this, we ended up with Original Sin Syndrome, which let me tell you is a **** to deal with, especially if you think you are basically good. You get given a hard time for feeling that way, by the Catholics and others, as well.

So getting back to the Garden, Cain would have settled down to farm in Nod, with a wife from the Sons of God town, or one of Ephilim gals, and that would have been that. Whatever happened Enos, was the direct result.

Ed...
 seriouslyfunnylady
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 6:55:08 PM

002:021 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he
slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh
instead thereof;

002:022 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a
woman, and brought her unto the man.

002:023 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my
flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of
Man.

002:024 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and
shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

002:025 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not
ashamed.

ok...thinking they were adults, because God said they were married...?? but then again who the heck knows, I'm always in trouble for not truly understanding the bible.

Because in rescanning it I do see where he created man but called it them and male and female. He also says to replenish.....now my understanding of the word replenish is to restock or refill. How if the earth was empty to begin with can it be RE plenished?
 Bewitched_
Msg: 10
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 6:56:16 PM
Cain & the land of Nod/ his new wife has already been discussed in the races thread, so I'd kind of like to keep this discussion on the biological age of Adam n Eve.

I do mean that yes, IF they existed.

I just wondered what the churches are teaching, for I have never heard an age given. With the story that is presented (almost a reinactment of a child with the cookie jar; re Eve & the fruit,) it really sounds to me like they were either children, or pretty stupid to put it bluntly.

SFL;; I understand what you are saying about replenish. I've never heard that before, but it almost sounds like there was a creation BEFORE them doesn't it?
 Jimmy66
Msg: 11
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/18/2005 9:49:31 PM
replenish-to make full or complete again. To supply again.

With that being said I don't think it meant replenish the earth as in replenish what was once lost I think it meant replenish as in here is a male and a female-replenish. Another words reproduce yourselves=replenish yourselves.
 BPMG
Msg: 12
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/19/2005 12:16:17 AM
What I was told was "Be fruitful and multiply".
 EdwardVII
Msg: 13
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/19/2005 3:19:30 AM
Dear Creepy:

You have couched your question in such a wise that there cannot possibly be any scripturally supported answer. We are then free to speculate. But what we have arrived at is a pooling of ignorance. We might as well discuss the natural history of (as I said somewhere else), Wyverns or Basilisks.

Any church I've been in does not teach the story of Adam and Eve, beyond Sunday School. Their sermons have nothing to do with them. However, The Christian Fundamentalist Churches seem to have the money for Television and are broadcasting their message about the Bible being the unmitigated word of God. So much so that you could think that Christians everywhere were fundamentalists. Nothing could be further from the truth (in Canada anyway). In the U.K. though it was mentioned that the Arch Bishop of Canterbury did not believe in the Virgin Birth (never mind Adam and Eve), so there you go!

I'm talking here about mainstream groups like United (Methodist & Presbyterian), Presbyterian and Baptist. The question of creationism never so much as raises its' head in these churches in Toronto anyway. They may study the stories in classes for Confirmation, or Bible Study Groups but they are not taken literally. I always felt that these were stories that illustrated lessons for us to follow in life, rather than a history book. Seems like Martin Luther agreed.

So, here is my opinion: In Genesis, you will find an age given for Adam. This "Age" would be from his appearance on earth to his death. It seems apparent that as no human can live as a child without benefit of a parent, and as Adam was not created from DNA, but out of wholecloth (clay) he was created as an adult. It certainly would explain his naivety. If you read Paradise Lost, Milton describes it well. The same was true for Eve. I keep thinking of her as Adam's sister, but let's not go there.

Ed..
 Bewitched_
Msg: 14
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/19/2005 8:25:36 AM
Interesting viewpoint Ed. I suppose they probably were adults, but they sure seemed to have the intelligence of children.
 BPMG
Msg: 15
Adam n Eve
Posted: 10/19/2005 8:49:50 AM
If they were created as adults and not given the knowledge of life experience, they would behave like children. Kind of like being born yesterday.

Damn I thought my ignorance would be easier to hide. I need a cloak of invisibility or a little more self control.

Chuck
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Adam n Eve