Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Women Who Dress Provocatively? Why? Are You One Of Them?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 1
Women Who Dress Provocatively? Why? Are You One Of Them? Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I ask, because I was out and about this evening. Saw a movie. XMen 3. Enjoyed myself. It was a warm night. And as is par for the course on these types of nights, I saw a lot of miniskirts and tiny, tiny shorts. Lots of wiggling and jiggling. Lots of legs, smooth, soft, tan.

Hey, I'm a guy. I noticed, y'know? I don't leer, but I shoot a glance here and there.

But to be honest with you, and I've been this way for most of my life. I'm ambivalent about it. I'm not totally sure why a lot of women dress this way. This is what I wanna know...

1-Is it for attention?

2-Do they want their b/f's checking them out only, fearing the "wandering eye syndrome"?

3-Is it really the heat? Is wearing a short skirt, or cheeky shorts more comfy than wearing something that's loose and breezy?

4-Is it societal pressure? Do they feel they have to dress that way for fashion's sake or because they're afraid of not feeling feminine? Do they feel that they have to look sexy to get what they want from people?

5-If you are a woman who dresses this way, tell me why. Do you want ME or some other guys staring at you? Does it offend you? I do try to be a gentleman, mind you.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Women Who Dress Provocatively? Why? Are You One Of Them?
Posted: 5/28/2006 9:05:45 PM
Women that dress provocatively should not complain when men ogle them . It seems like such women want it both ways . Men are men what can I say
 luvsallmen
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/28/2006 9:54:54 PM
I like to dress provocatively when I'm at an adult event such as a bike rally or gambling establishment. And yes, I do it for the attention. Don't know if it's a midlife crisis or what, but I enjoy it. Just won't do it around children.
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/28/2006 11:48:04 PM
1-No,I can get that without wearing clothes or certain clothing.

2-While I do hope my date likes the way I look,I also know if something
is appealing,he's going to look. (& nothing wrong with that as long as he doesn't drool while doing it)

3-Sometimes,yes.Isn't it cooler for you with less clothing on?

4-No,I usually buck if pressured.
I do like to be fashionable in my own style & I always feel feminine.
No & the insinuation sounds a bit like prostitution! I'm not looking to
get anything from anyone.(except maybe their friendship)

5-I dress the way I do simply for me...because I want to & I can.It's my choice.
No,but if you want to stare,go ahead.(I've been stared at for less & worse)
I might stare back.
No,it doesn't offend me.But,if you look too long,I'm going to think something
is hanging off my nose or a tissue is stuck to the heel of my shoe.)lol
Just be you & if that is being a gentleman,then it's your choice...
 SweetyMist
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/29/2006 12:46:07 AM
# 1 yes I dress to impress. I like looking my best when I go out into public. but other times I get stared at and am not dressed up.

#2 I don't fear the wandering eye syndrome because I'm confident in my abilities, and I know a guys eye is going to wander anyway.. they are guys! I mean girls have wandering eye syndrome too. I would know who they'd be coming home with.

#3 Yes they can be comfy especially if they are cotton materials.

#4 I don't feel pressured into dressing provocatively. Although I do follow fashion trends because it appeals to my feminine wiles. Though, I must admit I do dress that way to feel more feminine because I'm more of a tomboyish gal. I don't feel I have to dress up to get what I want.

#5 Doesn't matter if a guy looks or not, I'm dressing up for myself. It takes time to look like that and I feel especially good about myself and a lil more confident strutting my stuff in public. It never offends me when I catch someone looking. Life is too short to spend it not enjoying things. So spiffying up every once in awhile isn't a bad thing!
 kingrattus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2006 9:15:26 AM
I don't dress like that, as I don't want guys wooing & cooing at me... I dress in jeans as anything else just wont survive my lifestyle. I like to get dirty (as in dirt) & not have to worry about my clothing ripping..

I saw 5 girls yesterday all under the age of 13 & EWWWW!! You could see their cheaks & their tops hardly covered anything & 1 was see through!! I was with Shawn & he was grossed out! Even when its someone closer to his age, it still bothers him... He said he finds it slutty & hes not into that...

saddly I don't feel bad for women/girls who get those NASTY cat calls when they wear, what I call slutty clothing.. They brought it upon themselves...
 jinplus1
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/29/2006 1:24:25 PM
When you're single and out on the pull, of course you dress as provocatively as you're comfortable with! The more men that look, the more possibilities you have lol

In a relationship, you still dress up but tone down, so that you still do your bf proud (may get slammed for that lol) but don't get as much attention, after all you don't want a fight - though there are women who do...
 BossyLady
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/29/2006 1:43:16 PM
I dress to suit myself and how I feel most comfortable...and I feel most comfortable dressed up. I like to look good for me...any other attention is just bonus
 Lux_Interior
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/29/2006 4:30:27 PM
1-Is it for attention?

Not me. I like to fade into the background most of the time. If I have on shorts, my ass isnt hanging out of them. My boobs aren't spilling over my tank top. If I'm wearing that little... it's freaking HOT out.

2-Do they want their b/f's checking them out only, fearing the "wandering eye syndrome"?

I don't care who checks me out. I honestly don't think my bf cares either. Bf checks me out no matter what I wear, so it's all good.

3-Is it really the heat? Is wearing a short skirt, or cheeky shorts more comfy than wearing something that's loose and breezy?

Yes.. it's really the heat. Short skirts blow up, so I pass. "Cheeky" shorts, I assume means one's ass if hanging out of the shorts.. I pass on them, too. Loose and breezy is useless if there's no breeze.

4-Is it societal pressure? Do they feel they have to dress that way for fashion's sake or because they're afraid of not feeling feminine? Do they feel that they have to look sexy to get what they want from people?

Hahaha.. mybe for some women, but then there's women like me who wouldn't know a trend if it walked over and danced on her face.

5-If you are a woman who dresses this way, tell me why. Do you want ME or some other guys staring at you? Does it offend you? I do try to be a gentleman, mind you.

I don't dress provocatively, but what's provocative to you, might me drab and dull to me.. so I dunno. Honestly though... whatever I'm wearing, I don't care if I am looked at or not. Anyone leering or making sexual comments to me will be a retard essentially because I don't dress sexy... actually.. what it is.. is that I don't dress slutty. You may be able to see my arms and legs bare.. but then how would people react to a bathing suit? Am I to be cat-called & accosted because I'm wearing proper beach attire? I think not.

You know how you guys can't ever with the "do I look fat" question? Well.. generally, we women can't win the 'how to dress for the weather and not be deemed whorish' issue.

If you were ALL guys, I'm sure there'd be no issue.
 Flavia19
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/29/2006 7:00:42 PM
"3-Is it really the heat? Is wearing a short skirt, or cheeky shorts more comfy than wearing something that's loose and breezy? "

Yes it's the heat, I won't be seen wearing micro minis in December or January.But yes I do wear micro minis/shorts in the summer.Also , I don't dress up that way to get attention.I have never liked attention at all, my teachers and professors could say that about me.I just am most comfortable with myself when I dress up.I hate being sloppy wearing out of fashion clothes.That is just not me.I do it for me.I have said that in other threads concerning women's dress up too.Some women do it for attention, some women don't.Simple as that.

shaunamarie78
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/29/2006 7:01:21 PM
1. Nope, not for attention.

2. No boyfriend, no answer.

3. Well, do you see many women wearing short skirts in the middle of January? Mine go away in early October and don't come out until at least April.

4. Nope, has nothing to do with pressure from society.

5. I dress as I please. If I'm in a sexy mood, sure, I'll wear something a little more daring than other days. I don't do it for attention, I certainly get enough of that without resorting to choosing clothes for that purpose. No, looking doesn't offend me. I couldn't even tell you if others notice or not, I simply don't care.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/29/2006 9:53:18 PM

Yes it's the heat, I won't be seen wearing micro minis in December or January.But yes I do wear micro minis/shorts in the summer.Also , I don't dress up that way to get attention.I have never liked attention at all, my teachers and professors could say that about me.I just am most comfortable with myself when I dress up.I hate being sloppy wearing out of fashion clothes.That is just not me.I do it for me.I have said that in other threads concerning women's dress up too.Some women do it for attention, some women don't.Simple as that.

Wow, you wear micro minis? You don't seem like the type.

If you don't mind me asking, you're a pretty girl, I'm sure guys check you out when you're dressed like that, and you say you don't like attention. But does it bother you when guys check you out? Do guys make catcalls towards you? Again, you're a pretty girl.

And how short are we talking here? How short is too short for you ladies? Not being a perv or anything.

I see some girls wearing short skirts, and I wonder, do they worry about guys getting an unintentional peek? Like someone else said, they blow up. I'd be self-conscious. I'd think that you;d have to be careful how you sit and everything. It would be restrictive.

Not judging mind you.

I just wonder what women have to go through. :) It must be tough being a girl. High heels, pantyhose, makeup, earrings, man. As a guy, I don't even like wearing dress shoes. That's why I prefer when women look casual. A girl who looks comfortable is most sexy to me. A t-shirt and jeans is enough for me. I think a lot of girls overdo it.

Like, last night at the movies, I saw this really cute girl. She was with a b/f mind you, but I was looking at her. She was wearing a white top, and blue jeans. No make up. Nothing intentionally provocative. She did have a spaghetti strap top on (i guess that's what they call it, a fashionisto I am not) and her jeans fit but weren't super tight. And she was the prettiest girl I saw that night, prettier than any of the girls I saw wearing tight frayed short denim skirts and cheeky shorts. And she looked comfortable.

Whatever happened to long dresses? Women can look great in those. I saw Catherine Zeta-Jones in a long black dress and boots, button-down top, and she was awesome. Girls all wanna bare their legs it seems.

It seems to me wearing loose breezy clothing would be more comfy, but oh well.
 Indigo Rose
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:08:58 PM
I'm an old girl and I love to bare my legs. My legs will be nakie till next snowfall.
 Lux_Interior
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:34:38 PM

If you don't mind me asking, you're a pretty girl, I'm sure guys check you out when you're dressed like that, and you say you don't like attention.

It's entirely possible that she wouldn't even notice any attention she got. Many people are oblivious to such things. I know I usually am.

Whatever happened to long dresses? Women can look great in those.

If it's that hot out.. those types of dresses can bake one alive. So not fun. So not comfy. Once the sun's gone down it might work.
 Flavia19
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:46:51 PM
Yes, Iwarrior, I wear microminis.lol.Why?Can't I wear them?Thanks for the compliment.But like I said , I hate attention, sometimes I wish I was invisible.That's because I'm really quiet and shy.But...lol...I do have a fashion sense.That's why I wear everything.I'm not conservative when it comes to clothes.But yea, I guess men make cat calls, but if you ignore them, then they don't do anything.But if you smile and flirt with them when they are doing so, then you are in trouble.I'm not the type who flirts with men when they wink at me, so its not a problem with me.They can think whatever they like, just don't touch me.Also, I don't like long dresses, not comfortable at all.I only wear short dresses even at formal events, because they are more comfortable and makes me easy to move around without dragging it around.

Thanks Lux_interior, its nice that you understand.
 Shangrilah
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/29/2006 10:50:49 PM
When I was younger and went dancing I would wear tight stretchy skirts - that was the style back then.

I don't dress provocatively now - not my style
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/30/2006 6:14:22 PM
I'm not criticizing you flavia. Don't get me wrong. Your comments just piqued my curiousity since you said you don't like attention, yet a girl like you will definitely get attention if she's wearing a micro-mini. :) And I'd hate to think that a nice girl like you would get catcalls from guys, 'cause we all know how guys can be. But if you know how to handle them, then fine.

Of course short to you might not be short to me.

As for long dresses, I'm thinking sun dresses or something. I'm not thinking Victorian or evening gowns. Like slightly above the knee.

As for shorts, I have no problem with them. But some of them are sooo short! :) God. Women don't have to wear that little clothing to keep cool. Plus, if you're indoors and there's a/c, y'know?

I see women dressing scantily in the dead of winter too. You can't tell me that these girls are walking around the mall like that because it's hot out.

Just trying to get in yer heads.

Hell, I'm afraid to walk around with my shirt off.
 iAmMe=)
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/30/2006 6:21:24 PM
The only reason why I would dress that way, is....

1) It is way to damn hot out to be wearing pants!

or

2) I'm going out for a night at the bar!

But that is just me!
 starlight_940
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/30/2006 8:35:09 PM
I don't know how other women her feel about this, but I think there is always a little bit of an unspoken competition between women. Like, who's the hottest chick in the bar, on the beach and such. But I wouldn't say thats the biggest reason we dress provacatively. i just wanted to point that out. But the bottom line is that women like to feel confident about their looks. I know I can walk into a place looking good and that gives me a boost of confidence. If I weren't looking nice I would want to be more inconspicouos. I think a lot of women would say its very flattering to be checked out. And yes, halter tops and short skirts are nice and comfortable when its hot out by the way. Its nice to know that you still look good even thought you're sweating like a pig!
 Flavia19
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/30/2006 9:01:09 PM
"As for shorts, I have no problem with them. But some of them are sooo short! :) God. Women don't have to wear that little clothing to keep cool. Plus, if you're indoors and there's a/c, y'know? "

Actually I am a fan of those tiny winy shorts you are talking about.My parents don't have a problem with it when they see me wearing it nor do I.So I don't give a damn about what other people think.But I don't wear clothes that make my parents uncomfortable when they see me in it.But when I'm in college, I wear whatever I like.I guess...if the person wearing it does not have a problem with it, then no one should either.It's all good.But personally speaking I would not want to be with a guy who would be uncomfortable or mad if I am wearing something very revealing when I'm with him.That would just be a deal breaker.
 Michaelann
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/31/2006 3:34:39 PM
I have an answer for you, iwarrior

This is only my opinion mind you, doesn't apply to us all.
1) Attention? Not directly. But if you want to look, or whistle as you drive by, I don't mind.It's actually quite flattering.

2)I mainly dress to please myself, but yes, I like the appreciation my boyfriend shows,
for the way I dress. It's definitely a BONUS And in terms of him checking out other women, generally he doesn't (unlike most guys), but I think I can still compete, even at my age

3)the heat? Yes, of course, why do you think guys take their shirts off at the beach? The less fabric, the more comfort. Even though it has been legal for 4 years now (Many thanks, to the Canada Supreme court ), you never see women go topless. It was just the priciple of the thing, I guess. And personally, I wear skimpy shirts, but always jeans. I am uncomfortable in skirts or shorts.

4) societal pressure? Wow, fashions must be very different in Pennsylvania. Here, the style seems to be to hide your beauty. They layer several tank tops, so you can see nothing. Or wear them with bras (Eww!), straps deliberately showing! Gross!!

5) Why? Because I can!
When you go out, especially to meet someone,you comb your hair, maybe brush your teeth. After all, you never get another chance, to make a good first impression. Right?
Well, I like to look as good as a woman my age can, short of plastic surgery. When you feel good, you look good. Confidence is very sexy!

Hope this answers your questions, iwarrior.

ps- to kingrattus- I do take exception to your use of the term, "slutty clothes".
In my opinion, there's no such thing. Slutty, is a way of acting, not dressing.
 primlearthangel
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/23/2006 8:31:56 PM
I think your correct, in all your observations ....however I think everyone has their own reasons.....I also think there is a huge difference between dressing provocative and being provocative.....
 jinjersnapz
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/23/2006 9:48:35 PM
Personally if Im dressin provocatively its because Im feeling sexy...but then again I feel sexy wearin a pair of sweats and tank top lol...If Im feeling insecure bout my ass Im more than likely going to use it my advantage or flaunt another ass-pect of my body to draw away from a problem area that Im havin...lol...I was told men can sense a womans sexiness by her attitude and not by the way she dresses...More so lately Ive noticed there are some women who are older dressing way too young...I mean if you can get away with it by all means go for it but I've seen some scaries out there who just don't look good walking with their kids in their too short shorts with the cheeks hanging out...or their love bellies hangin over their jeans. I'd definatley be turning my head if I passed by a chizled man and its only human to do so -
 emmarylee
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/24/2006 6:32:21 AM
Let me tell you. As a woman who is over 30, has raised my children.I still look darn good. I do dress provocatively.It makes me feel good.Boosts my self -esteem.I think tat I look pretty good .I wear tight clothes (short skirts ) because I can.I feel good about myself.I like to look good.Why do you lift wieghts?
 rubberduckette
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/24/2006 11:51:58 AM
Well here is my deal I dress very provacative but still tasteful,I love getting checked out ya,but it really doesn't matter what I wear I still get checked out and love every minute of it and when I finally find the man I want to be with he won't be jealous he will be proud to have such a beautiful and sexy woman by his side.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Women Who Dress Provocatively? Why? Are You One Of Them?