Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > After a first date, should the girl contact the guy to say thank you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kathy1979
Msg: 1
After a first date, should the girl contact the guy to say thank you?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
After a first date, should a girl contact a guy to say thank you, and that she had a good time, or should she leave it all up to the guy to continuously make contacts?
 Dezoe
Msg: 2
After a first date, should the girl contact the guy to say thank you?
Posted: 1/3/2007 10:56:37 AM
if you left it up to the guy, you'd never hear from him again....
 Kathy1979
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:10:04 AM
thanks dezoe, never want to be overly eager,
 Dezoe
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:12:13 AM
should give it some time to make it seem youre not overly eager....guys dont know about this kinda thing....i always wait for the lady to call....if she doesnt call within the first month, i call her back...and pretend oi have a wrong number....
 Nightf10182003
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:13:20 AM
Don't do it if you have no intention of seeing him again. But if you do..go for it. I went on a date a few months ago and we hit it off great..or so I thought. SHE even sorta planned a second date. Then I get a text the next day saying she didn't think we were a match! lol Oh well..POF right? lol
 athletic2222
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:17:36 AM
Wait for him to contact you. If he's interested he will contact you. Since you are obviously interested in him I'd say send him an email if he hasn't contacted you within 3 days. You deserve an explanation. He he deletes and doesn't reply there's your answer "Not Interested".
 Dezoe
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:20:23 AM
and to be perfectly honest, i love it when she calls me.....
 arri
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/3/2007 12:06:18 PM
If he took you out on a proper date for a bite, drinks etc ... and paid, certainly. You should call and thank him within 24 hours.
 Nightwing66
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/3/2007 12:13:13 PM
No, you don't 'deserve an explanation' why he hasn't called you in 3 days if you haven't called him either. It's not his duty to call you.

If he took you out & you had a nice time....give the lad a nice thank you note via E-mail or whatever. You may leave the asking for another date to him, if you'd like. He'll respond if he wants to see you again.

Not thanking someone for a nice dinner, etc. is rude....& you are probably a sweet girl for even asking this question, so I know your momma raised you right.
 Kathy1979
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/3/2007 12:17:39 PM
Thanks, I just didn't want it to seem like I didn't enjoy myself.
 semper_vera
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 12:50:50 PM
Go with your gut and quit analyzing it. I'm amazed at how many people on these forums analyze every single detail, agonize over every move, apparently worried that if the don't "play the game" right, they will "lose" or something. Reality: trying to play games makes you more likely to lose.

If you had a good time, there is nothing wrong with a quick note to say, "thanks, really enjoyed it". Not only is it polite, it also lets him know how you feel. Hmm... starting a relationship off by being open and honest - what a concept! :)

Besides, waiting for him to initiate all communications is a risky move. He could be sitting there wondering why he never hears from you... meanwhile, there is this other gal who has been e-mailing him and seems really interested in him, so why should he chase you when you aren't showing any interest. And if he's a great guy, it's a safe bet that there will be women doing so. By trying to 'play the game' correctly, you just shot yourself in the foot.

sv

ps. limits in everything, of course. don't become a stalker :)
 Jackie1954
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:21:05 PM
I will send an email the next day thanking him. A phone call would put him on the spot and that isn't fair to anyone after just ONE date/meet.

If I'm interested in continuing contact, I'll say how much I enjoyed his company and probably a few specifics about the "date" that made him so enjoyable. But after that, it will be up to him. I wouldn't make him uncomfortable or feel obligated to tell me "why" his isn't interested (if that is the case).

If I'm not interested in anything more than friendship... I'll state that in some way and it will end with something along the lines of "good luck in your search".

I've had dates call me on their way home from seeing me and found that to be very touching!
 arri
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:24:38 PM
^^^

Everything she said .. but avoid the: "good luck in your search".

Not only it is not warranted since he hasn't asked you out again ... but also it is patronizing as hell.

Take care and Good luck in your search
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:26:08 PM
and, sometimes, they really do misplace your phone number, can't remember your handle.
 29girl29
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:28:48 PM
why play games? if you had a good time and enjoyed the guy then call him maybe he is to shy or thinks that you were not into him even though you were! You might be surprised to hear how glad he is that you called.
 Jameseroo
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:28:54 PM
Oh my god I would love a call for a change - lol. In my experience POF provides for mostly one-date encounters .. which are generally characterized by "the fade".
 2findU
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:35:30 PM
It would be nice. A guy needs to have some positive feedback to know if she likes him or not. We don't read minds.
 truebluewing357
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:44:45 PM
I saw call him. I know I would like it if some of the first dates burdens were taken off of me.
 Roxiebabiee
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 1:48:25 PM
Hmm this is an interesting thread. I tend to thank my date at the end before we part, with a "Thanx for dinner. I had a really nice time" and maybe a hug if it feels right. Then I typically do the "after Date Wait" which can drive ya insane. I'm always afraid to call him afterwards because I've heard so many times, that it's looked at as desperate. Reading the responses here, really takes some pressure off. So guys like that? You learn something new everyday! I must say tho, I still love it when the guy calls me first, even when it's while I am driving home from the date...it just makes me feel good. But, when that happens, maybe now I will be a bit less hesitant to call HIM.
 Kathy1979
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/3/2007 6:58:47 PM
wow, thanks everyone. this is all great feedback. i must say, that i am shocked to find out that guys do like us to call afterwards. time that i get over my shyness when it comes to the phone calls.
 Matty1174
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:01:19 PM
I Love hearing from them afterwards. I find myself in a weird situation because sometimes people view it as desperate to call right away.

If you call me, not only will I appreciate it, but I will most likely try to set up another date because you seem interested - You called!
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:16:07 PM
I personally would be surprised and very appreciative of a woman who would tell me thank you called after the date to thank me for it. It shows a there is a WHOLE lot more to her character that I WANT to know.
 WTTozer
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/4/2007 12:30:25 AM
Manners are very important to me. When a lady takes the time to call or email me to thank me for a nice evening out, I am flattered and impressed with the manners that she shows. I know I would appreciate it.
 Born~Sly
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2007 3:06:23 AM

After a first date, should a girl contact a guy to say thank you, and that she had a good time, or should she leave it all up to the guy to continuously make contacts?

Hi Kathy1979,
In my opinion I think you should call and let him know that you had a good time. I think there are to many people here who have to many dumb rules on what dating is and what playing games are. Just be yourself.

Best Regards,
Sly
Who is glad you had a good time.

Kathy1979
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/4/2007 10:44:19 PM
Well, I will remember next time I go out, to make sure i call to say thank you
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > After a first date, should the girl contact the guy to say thank you?