Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > this is strange I keep getting pop ups, even though my pop up blocker      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mandrake*
Msg: 1
this is strange I keep getting pop ups, even though my pop up blocker is turned onPage 1 of 1    
I keep getting pop ups, even though my pop up blocker is turned on. Earlier I went to see who's online "my city", and the view was on standard, instead of Condensed! I have always had it on the "condensed view"....when I went to check, it was set on "standard view", and I have never changed it!

I have since run a virus scan, an adware scan, and a spyware scan. Everything is in order. Am I missing something?
 *mandrake*
Msg: 2
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:00:38 PM
thanks miss allison....I'll wait and see what Ticket can come up with.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 3
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:15:01 PM
ok....this just happened....I had a pop up....and in the bottom right corner this showed up:

"ads by Browsing Enhancer"

never saw that before now.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 4
view profile
History
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:37:29 PM
Try restarting in Safe Mode. If Browsing Enhancer is in your Add/Remove Programs list, remove it. Delete any remnants to it you can find as well.

Could it be Zeno Browser Enhancer?
 *mandrake*
Msg: 5
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:41:03 PM
I did restart in safe mode, and didn't see anything with that name. It might be the Zeno, but it is not showing up, even in safe mode.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 6
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 5:56:58 PM
I keep getting pop ups, even though my pop up blocker is turned on.

I assume you are referring to an Internet Explorer Pop-Up Blocker. You are dealing with a Browser which has Backdoors for all sorts of Things to go funky. Exactly what it is, is as good a guess as mine.

You do not appear to have anything running in your User Agent.

I recommend you start using the Firefox Browser or any Browser that does not ride the IE Engine. Opera Browser is good too, possibly even more secure, but I don't find it very User friendly nor particularly stable, at least from a User Perspective, but then that could be considered to be entirely subjective. I just don't want to get stuck ending up fielding Tech Support Questions for it, which I expect would consume a substantial Amount of my Time.

Whatever you do, get off Internet Explorer which has been designed to accommodate these Type of hidden Attacks on your Computer. There is a very Interesting Article Posted in the Technology/Computers Forum which further delineates on these Vulnerabilities in this Thread: The Future of OS.

And even if you are completely Set on using IE, I would still keep another Browser installed just so that you can do some limited Testing.

Related Links:Browsers: Don't use Internet Explorer
Browsers: Internet Explorer 8 ???

Earlier I went to see who's online "my city", and the view was on standard, instead of Condensed!

Since this pertains to your User Settings which have nothing to do with your Browser, this looks more like the Admin has been making changes or conducting Tests & Trials, Debugs, adding Goodies, etc.

Further, if you have any Issues with Cookies, your Settings may not have taken and may explain for the "Default" Page View. Thus, delete your Cookies & Internet Files as a first Step.

"ads by Browsing Enhancer"

A Browser Enhancer is minimally an Internet Explorer Add-on, it could just be any of a Number of simple Browser Toolbars, Adware Feeds or even a Browser HiJack.

Some can be uninstalled via Add/Remove, others may have to be pried out with a Malware Busting Tool. I suggest you get familiar with HijackThis, as this is by far the most thorough Malware, Trojan & Keylogger Inspection Tool. Once you learn the Ropes, you'll be on Top of the Game from there on out.
 *mandrake*
Msg: 7
this is strange
Posted: 1/25/2008 6:22:26 PM
Thank you Ticket. Since this is my daughters computer, I will talk to her about changing from IE to Firefox. I do have my own comp, but it is not hooked up yet. I am waiting for some add ons before I fire it up. When I do, I will take your advice and use firefox. I have seen a lot of your comments about IE and Firefox Ticket, so I am more than convinced. Plus, I don't really like IE myself.

OK...what do I look for with the "hijack this" . is that .com? or do I just google that name?

[ Click on the 'Hijackthis' Link in my Post, watch the Video / Ticketoride ]
 CORONA4U
Msg: 8
this is strange
Posted: 7/26/2008 8:26:01 AM
i try an city whi is on line in on my state and the same 6 people keepon coming up i deleted my old account and said uopa new never had this problem was is wrong!!!!!!!!!!
 justlizzybeth
Msg: 9
this is strange
Posted: 1/13/2009 3:26:25 AM
Hi I dont know if this is a problem but my meets headlines box in the inbox has gone completely any ideas what has happened please ? thanx for any replies
 KC_Chris
Msg: 10
BUG REPORT! No drop down box for states
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:06:57 PM
I tried several times to register, but there was no drop down box or blank area for me to indicate my state (KS). The only way I could get the system to accept my registration was to indicate a canadian province. This is messing up my searchs.

Can you help?

Chris
 Entzauberung
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/14/2010 9:54:11 PM
Edit profile
at bottom change country
click "update registration"

Then select your state
click "update profile"
 Littlewolf208
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/16/2012 2:33:09 PM
Has anyone had an issue where whenever you sign in to the mobile app a profile appears instead of the regular menu?

Its happened to me before so i just deleted my account and started a new one since i assumed it was a virus
 xxsmexixx
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2012 3:07:27 PM
^^^^ Yes I posted on the Iphone thread recently saying the exact same thing.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14219690.aspx

The profile it keeps going to is deleted how ever and no information is on it

Smexi
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > this is strange I keep getting pop ups, even though my pop up blocker is turned on