Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Could this be whats going on?
 storm55
Msg: 26 (view)

Could this be whats going on?
Posted: 1/9/2009 8:35:29 PM
I haven't had an experience, as such, either. I did have something strange appear in a photo I took in 2006. I didn't see anything stange when I took the photo, but after coming back home and transferring it to my computer, I saw it. No idea what it is.
 storm55
Msg: 10 (view)

Life without hydro
Posted: 1/7/2009 12:37:04 PM
I always thought it would neat if everyone could have their own mini-reactor to power their homes. Of course, that is not practical.
 storm55
Msg: 4 (view)

Could this be whats going on?
Posted: 1/7/2009 12:32:25 PM
For us to believe we are the only sentient beings in the universe is being a bit narrow minded. Besides, it is not logical. How many planets are there in the cosmos that are capable of supporting life as we know it? I suspect a rather large number.
 storm55
Msg: 11 (view)

have you lived?.are you sure?
Posted: 1/5/2009 9:33:36 PM
I remember just about all of this. Amazing!

They threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed . . . and they did?

This should never have been done away with...
 storm55
Msg: 25 (view)

Yellowstone tremblers
Posted: 1/4/2009 3:10:36 PM
There is some information on the U.S. Geological Survey web site. I've seen the documentaries about the Yellowstone Caldera. A scary scenario! There is no way to stop it from happening. All anyone can do is to try to prepare for the possibility as best they can. I cannot see where 2012 means anything, unless one is paranoid.
 storm55
Msg: 100 (view)

Religion and Politics - The US is number 1!!!!!
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:53:50 PM

It was all the protests against the war that led to the decision it would be political suicide to support Bush in the Iraq situation.

To speak of the war in Iraq, one must also link Afghanistan. So, what is this war really all about? Does September 11, 2001 ring any bells? How about Osama bin Laden and Al Queda? That plot of ground in New York City is an open wound, just like Pearl Harbor was, and perhaps still is...
 storm55
Msg: 121 (view)

being gay - genetic or social
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:33:50 PM
I have heard a few argue that being gay is a mental illness. If that was the case, then what was the trigger event (the cause)? I believe it has to be something hard-wired. In simpler terms, genetic.
 storm55
Msg: 1099 (view)

Let the games begin 2008 - 2009 NFL Football
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:20:36 PM

HEY CUBS how about them colts.

They penalized themselves to death at the end and it got them a trip home; season over.
 storm55
Msg: 66 (view)

Marriage after 45
Posted: 1/4/2009 2:05:51 PM
I would like to again, but the chances of that are nil, so I don't think about it very much at all. Relocation is a scary prospect. It means leaving everything and everyone behind that you know. Looks like most of us are staying put.
 storm55
Msg: 67 (view)

Your Dreams
Posted: 1/2/2009 10:43:15 PM
For some reason, I have an ability to remember a lot of what I dream. A lot of them have a feeling of trying to get somewhere but I keep getting sidetracked. There were some which had a recurring theme. My mother passed away in 2001. Afterward, I had dreams where she was a very cruel and mean person. I had about one a month for a while. Each was different. Finally, they stopped and I had a sense of resolution. I should have written all that down somewhere. At the time, I remembered what the end was about, but not now.
 storm55
Msg: 73 (view)

What would happen to earth if the magnetic field switched its direction?
Posted: 1/2/2009 10:34:27 PM
I notice this is not getting any where the media attention that 2012 is getting. A magnetic swap won't get as many cable subscribers I guess.

There's a good article on NASA's website posted last month. Do a Google search, "magnetic fields earth", and it is on the first page. There is too much to quote here.
 storm55
Msg: 20 (view)

Biggest joke in sports
Posted: 1/2/2009 10:21:22 PM
The Lions have stayed in Detroit while many other teams have moved. 75 years they have been a team, since 1934. Could it be that the main-stream NFL no longer pays attention? Possibly. I really with things could change for them...
 storm55
Msg: 26 (view)

how to not scare people?!?
Posted: 1/2/2009 9:46:24 PM

...how could I ever compete with her passion for Horses.

A very good point. I have a friend that is horse intensive and, at times, it is all she wan't to talk about. It's caused her to have relationship issues.

Your passion is dedicated. However, if any guy thinks they will have to play 2nd string to an animal, they will look elsewhere.
 storm55
Msg: 15 (view)

Biggest joke in sports
Posted: 1/1/2009 9:41:09 PM
There was a time when the Lions had some good teams. In the 1950's, they won three championshps with QB Bobby Layne. William Clay Ford has owned the team since 1964. 45 years, if one counts 2009. The team has existed as a franchise since 1934.

Some would argue the Bengals as a joke nowadays. Cincinnati is only 55 miles east of where I live so a lot of people talk about them. They made two Super Bowl appearances that I am aware of.
 storm55
Msg: 35 (view)

People Who Root for non-hometown teams:
Posted: 1/1/2009 9:27:02 PM
Larry Bird went to college at Indiana State University, so I was a Celtic's fan for many years. They had some great teams back then.

I've never gotten used to the Colts being in Indianapolis. I suppose it's the name more so than the team. Many people still associate the Colts with Baltimore. If the team wanted to leave Baltimore, that's fine, but Baltimore should have had ownership of the team name. However, it doesn't work that way. So many have moved to new digs over the years. Raiders, Rams, Cardinals and Colts are the ones I remember. I suppose I miss them not being where they used to be, except for the Raiders; back in Oakland. Al Davis is, well, I don't know what he is.
 storm55
Msg: 35 (view)

The Curse of the Detroit Lions
Posted: 1/1/2009 9:08:53 PM
Perhaps this goes higher up than coaching. It has to be a front-office problem. I've been watching Lions games on and off for many years. I have always been baffled by what I saw. I would hate to think that this team is somebody's tax write-off. This situation is a complete disservice to the players and their fans.
 storm55
Msg: 42 (view)

Workplace harassment
Posted: 1/1/2009 8:58:26 PM
Something like this is totally open to interpretation. Each party has a different viewpoint. A third-party trying to determine the facts is not easy. OP, you may want to seek legal advise on an issue such as this.
 storm55
Msg: 31 (view)

Cats
Posted: 1/1/2009 8:49:17 PM

I'm terrified of people that hate cats!! ack!! There is somthing very, very wrong with somone that hates those beautiful felines...

Agreed.

A neighbor should not be allowing their pets to run loose. It is illegal in a lot of areas. Don't punish the cat for what it's owner does, or does not do. A spray bottle with just plain water will work fine. Just not in the eyes. If there are ASPCA organizations in your area, report the owner.
 storm55
Msg: 642 (view)

The one thing you miss most when you are single
Posted: 1/1/2009 8:37:59 PM
It is communication I miss the most. Being able to talk and to listen to another respond.
 storm55
Msg: 21 (view)

History Mystery
Posted: 1/1/2009 8:24:25 PM

Sorry, my comments were pointed towards Last Not Least.

I was just curious. No problem.

I think why a lot of people respect Lincoln so much is that he started out with virtually nothing. He worked hard as a young man and educated himself. His life as president was terriblly hard, yet he managed it all with dignity.
 storm55
Msg: 27 (view)

The ugly side of technology
Posted: 12/31/2008 11:03:22 PM
Technology has given the ability to see and get things instantly, and we need this to be ever faster and faster. What happens when this process slows down? We become really peeved! A cell phone that doesn't cooperate, or a stubborn computer. More and more people tend to lose control. We're victims of our own tech. Can it be that our own inventions are causing more stress in our lives? I would answer, yes.
 storm55
Msg: 4 (view)

Posting rule.
Posted: 12/31/2008 9:35:23 PM
I am afraid of posting anything new. I tried it and got bit. So now, I only reply...
 storm55
Msg: 350 (view)

Quoting, Bolding, Underline HTML - Practice Thread
Posted: 12/31/2008 9:31:47 PM
[u]Underscore. This did not work a few minutes ago.[/u]
 storm55
Msg: 18 (view)

History Mystery
Posted: 12/31/2008 9:26:20 PM

A lot of this is based on the lie that Oswald did it.

Agreed, and there is a thread here dedicated to that idea.

Lincolns are made by Ford. President Lincoln was shot at Ford's theatre. You maybe onto something Last. Did you grow up in a log cabin?

Lincoln's are made by Ford just like Lexus is made by Toyota and Infiniti is made by Nissan.

Did I grow up in a log cabin? [u]No[/u]. Is there a point to that question?
 storm55
Msg: 24 (view)

Truce possible in the Gender Wars ??
Posted: 12/31/2008 2:23:11 PM

This is a sea of embittered, damaged people all ready to point the finger at the opposite gender in an ongoing effort to validate that they are not irreparably flawed.

A great single-sentence analysis! So, how do we, as a nation, repair this terrible problem? Personally, I don't believe it can be resolved. There is too much hatred and distrust in general. We are turning into a people divided. How does that motto read on Kentucky's state flag? "United We Stand, Divided We Fall." We are most decidedly falling!!!
 storm55
Msg: 10 (view)

New Aquarium
Posted: 12/30/2008 12:00:33 PM

One inch of fish per gallon of water, max.

A good general practice, but sometimes doesn't work. Case-in-point: Oscars. I have two juveniles in a 55 gallon tank. That won't hold for a long time. They can reaach 12" to 15" in total length. It takes a couple of years for them to get this large. They're big eaters and big waste producers. They will eventually need a tank of 110 gallons minimum, if kept together.

The larger the tank the more stable the water chemistry will be. Other things to test for are nitrates and nitrites. Changing 1/3 of the water is a good practice. Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all part of "The Nitrogen Cycle." A bacterial process that converts ammonia into other less toxic nitrogen compounds, and kept under control by replacing water.
 storm55
Msg: 1 (view)

History Mystery
Posted: 12/30/2008 11:26:39 AM
A friend sent this to me and I thought it was interesting:

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird...

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.
Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassin's were known by their three names.
Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat...

Lincoln was shot at a theater named "Ford".
Kennedy was shot in a car called "Lincoln" made by "Ford".

Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.
 storm55
Msg: 40 (view)

Is wanting a funny guy just as shallow as wanting a gorgeous girl?
Posted: 12/28/2008 8:33:29 PM
People, both men and women, want to be accepted for all they are, and not for a specific personality, or appearance. Things like intelligence, dedication, and compassion, just to name a few, are more important than being funny or attractive.
 storm55
Msg: 199 (view)

Pre-Nuptial Agreement?
Posted: 12/28/2008 12:44:33 PM
No, I would refuse to sign one, regardless of outcome. To me, being ask to do such a thing infers a sense of distrust on the part of the other person. Then there is the greed factor. Anyone who cares about money and property more than me, I do not need!
 storm55
Msg: 161 (view)

Drug or Alcohol stuff - how long ago is ok?
Posted: 12/28/2008 12:36:37 PM

IMO....and in my experience....those issues never go away! I would say "NO" to drugs and or previous addicts!

It may be a good idea to differentiate here. There are prescription drugs and then there are illegal drugs. Just as an example: You would say no to a person who takes prescription pain meds for back pain, and takes them according to directions? How about a diabetic on insulin? This is a big difference here. I would say no to anyone who smoked crack or marijuana, no to anyone who popped illegal pills, or shot-up with cocaine or LSD.
 storm55
Msg: 1442 (view)

Calling all 40-60Something Males?
Posted: 12/28/2008 6:37:02 AM

Storm55...too many MEN put too much value on age.

I wonder why this is? If so many do this then there must be a common factor somewhere. Age 45 was mentioned somewhere along the line. Could menopause be the issue?
 storm55
Msg: 1436 (view)

Calling all 40-60Something Males?
Posted: 12/27/2008 8:32:14 PM

Do your own actions illustrate the above statement as "mostly valid."? Should women in my st/age of life face "reality" and accept that our chronological age matters more to most men our own age than our physical fitness and all of the other things that we feel we have to offer Mr. Right?

I feel this is different from one individual to the next and not a cover-all. I had a long relationship with a woman who was two years older than I was. Age was never an issue and never discussed. Too many put too much value on age.
 storm55
Msg: 107 (view)

I think I now understand why you are divorced.
Posted: 12/27/2008 8:23:55 PM

Do you try to straighten him out and teach him how to
be in a relationship in order for it to be respectful and healthy. Or do you just chalk him up as another dead end and break it off?

This depends on the value you place on the individual as a person. People can put up a "front" in the beginning, but cannot maintain it. It really is about respect as OP says; something sorely lacking in our world now. The trap is, the respect must be mutual. If that doesn't exist then the problem will persist. As we age, we become more set in our ways and attitudes. There are nice and respectful people out there, but most are already taken.

Is there hope in teaching an old dog new tricks?

This is about behavior modification; nothing illegal about that.
 storm55
Msg: 73 (view)

has anybody found that you have used up pof
Posted: 12/27/2008 8:02:09 PM

The pond is growing.

Even so, there is still a very fundamental problem. I cannot define it though. Not with this site, but people in general. Perhaps fear, distrust, or greed. If there is 100K logged on here, how many lonely people are out there for real. I heard Paul Harvey, in one of his "rest of the story" segments, say that 78% of people in the U.S. suffer from lonliness in some form. That's an incredible number! I can see why there are so may sad faces in crowds nowadays.
 storm55
Msg: 278 (view)

Ladies, If A Guy Called You The C Word, Would Continue Your Relationship With Him?
Posted: 12/26/2008 11:16:53 AM
I once saw a profile of a young woman on another site. She had lots of photos and one image with white text on a red background. Just one word, C***, all in capital letters. I couldn't understand why an attractive young woman would have something like that as part of her photo array, so I asked about it. Her reply stated, "That's what I am". I told her no, she was not, and asked where she got that notion in the beginning. She said having it there was funny! I never got a straight answer, when I did get an answer. I suspected a severe case of low self-esteem, or maybe even abuse of some kind. All this was about six months ago, and I lost track after a while. All I can remember now is that she was in Pennsylvania somewhere, but the name is lost now. Faces I remember, but not names.
 storm55
Msg: 21 (view)

What would happen to earth if the magnetic field switched its direction?
Posted: 12/26/2008 10:54:45 AM
When the poles go into magnetic flux, I suspect we would lose part, if not all, of our solar radiation sheilding. The magnetic field around the planet would weaken then maybe even shut down as part of the reversal process. It would start up again in the latter part of the process, with the fields reversed. The sun is basically a gigantic unshielded nuclear reactor. If, and when, this happens, it needs to happen rapidly.
 storm55
Msg: 173 (view)

Single, Over 45 and Starving?
Posted: 12/26/2008 10:36:58 AM

Cold chili out of the can. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Ice cream. NO vegetables or fruit. I, I...just don't care. I don't gain weight. Never did. Eating is boring.

I don't find it boring, but rather a time consuming task. I can't eat things cold that should be heated; microwave. I keep lots of Campbell's Chunky soup on hand. Honey peanut butter but no jelly. Edy's Grand ice cream. I get some canned fruit from time to time. Veggies rarely.
 storm55
Msg: 1 (view)

Forum Suggestion
Posted: 12/25/2008 10:06:37 PM
I would like to suggest that the forum software be switched to vBulletin. All the text formatting, quotes, italic, bold, and underscore, has to be done by hand, and a lot of people get lost on that. Some of this just doesn't work. vBulletin is not free, and I understand that. It would make the forums a lot more "user-friendly".

Thank you.
 storm55
Msg: 164 (view)

Posted: 12/25/2008 9:36:56 PM

Leftovers for a week................I will pass.

I can't eat an entire pot of chili in one sitting, so I refridgerate it. I take out what I need and microwave it. Since I make this myself, I know what's in it. I can't say that for McDonald's or Wendy's. I don't want all the salt and don't need the grease.
 storm55
Msg: 18 (view)

Date a Seperated Person...Depending on....
Posted: 12/25/2008 4:58:55 PM
OP, no to all. Doing something like this is akin to sitting on a TNT keg with a burning fuse.
 storm55
Msg: 61 (view)

has anybody found that you have used up pof
Posted: 12/25/2008 4:47:38 PM

I've officially given up. Now I'm just here for the forums!

There is no photo in your profile. Many will not look at a profile without a photo.
 storm55
Msg: 47 (view)

Never judge a book by it's cover
Posted: 12/25/2008 4:36:16 PM

Unfortunately try as i might the REAL me doesn't show in pictures which is just one reason i hate having my picture taken!!

Talk about hitting the nail on the head! I don't mind having photos taken though. Photos are of the "cover" and never the "book".
 storm55
Msg: 160 (view)

Posted: 12/25/2008 4:22:40 PM

I don't get that. Why not cook for two, and freeze or save leftovers for the next day?

Sometimes I make chili or spaghetti in a big pot I got just for that purpose. The leftovers usually stretch for nearly a week.

Eating with your pants off! A lot can be read into that statement.
 storm55
Msg: 54 (view)

A question about dogs and the cold weather...
Posted: 12/25/2008 11:54:48 AM

I remember back in my childhood days (I'm 45 yrs old)... the general attitude seemed to be... dogs and cats (any general animal pet) WAS MEANT TO BE OUTSIDE!!! Most those pets seem to have short lived lives.

This is actually quite easy to see, if one is paying attention. During the summer here, there are cats wandering around outside just about everywhere. I never see the same ones from one year to the next. They're all usually young and just do not make it through the winter.

I have a calico that is eight years old. She's strictly an indoor cat. My sister had a Tuxedo cat that lived 21 years. He was also an indoor cat. They benefit greatly from all the extra attention and care, not to mention staying warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
 storm55
Msg: 158 (view)

Posted: 12/25/2008 11:35:58 AM

Well Mr. Storm, I think you are doing yourself a grave injustice! Think of it this way? Are you not worth the extra effort to sit down and enjoy a nice meal? There is so much you could be tastin and enjoyin! Just because you/we are a one, doesn't mean we have to treat ourselves like second class citizens!

It's sort of hard to cook for one, but I'm sure you've already heard that before. Oddly enough, I think of myself as being a pretty good cook and there is not much I cannot do. I learned that one must not be afraid of ruining something. After that, it seemed to be so easy. My problem is that I do not like having to clean up the mess when it's all done. So, I make things where there is little or nothing to clean up afterwards. I know I'm missing out, but that's OK. I get to partake of a nice spread a couple of times a year.
 storm55
Msg: 102 (view)

Smart, beautiful, women over 45; foolish choices - what we do for love.
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:55:24 PM
I really hope a day comes when people, both men and women, will learn that life and love is not about M...O...N...E...Y. We just make it seem that way.
 storm55
Msg: 148 (view)

Posted: 12/24/2008 8:47:29 PM
If eating was not necessary for survival, I would never eat. I just keep things here which are simple to make, and are not hard to clean-up after. If it takes more than a microwave, I don't bother with it. I am happy with it and I suppose that is all that really matters.
 storm55
Msg: 49 (view)

Please post your favorite generalization...
Posted: 12/24/2008 4:06:22 PM

All men cheat.

I have heard this over and over again, and it is offensive. I never cheated in my life, so the poster cannot say, "All" men cheat. Some men cheat, but not all.
 storm55
Msg: 17 (view)

debate to ensue
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:59:47 PM
I far more regret the things I did not do than the things I did, and did them wrong. I could write a book about missed opportunities. There is no point trying to dwell on the past.
 storm55
Msg: 59 (view)

Your thoughts on the American Dream
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:52:58 PM

The American dream is about the freedom to choose your own path in life without restraint or government interference. Unfortunately though, many don't grasp the concept that those dreams are made by their own actions and hard work...

Good reply. The "American Dream" is not about money. Those who think it is do not get the point.

Show ALL Forums