Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Hmm you think I wont remember?
 Exiguous
Msg: 7 (view)

Hmm you think I wont remember?
Posted: 10/10/2011 5:39:14 PM
I noticed one lady's username included digits that were almost certainly the day and month of her birth (it tallied with her star sign) and the date was coming up soon so when it rolled around I searched for her username in order to wish her a happy birthday, but she had deleted her account that very day so my plan was scuppered. A couple of days later the newest user search threw up an identical profile, same pictures, same description... same age! I did check back at the end of the star sign period her birthday fell in to confirm it, and this lady was definitely cheating on Old Father Time.
 Exiguous
Msg: 19 (view)

Whats her rights.
Posted: 10/9/2011 10:19:43 AM
To the O.P., as several people have said this sounds like a pretty clear case of sexual assault and should be reported to the police, if I were in your position I would report it myself if no one else is willing to. How young is your friend's daughter?
 Exiguous
Msg: 5 (view)

How do you quote their message when you reply back? (POF Mail)
Posted: 9/20/2011 2:54:05 AM
You can't, the recipient sees the whole of the message they wrote that you replied to displayed above your message though in a box headed ‘Original Message YOU sent on xxxxxxx’ but that is done automatically for all replies.
 Exiguous
Msg: 2 (view)

intimite encounters on mobile app
Posted: 8/23/2011 5:48:47 PM
Yes, it counts against you, but you have four chances, it is only once you have sent first contact messages to four people who are seeking an intimate encounter or other relationship that the messaging restrictions related to those categories will kick in. No, there is no way to reverse it.
 Exiguous

Users disappearing from my favorites list.
Posted: 8/22/2011 4:03:27 PM
At the foot of your inbox there is a link that says ‘Contact History’.
 Exiguous
Msg: 8 (view)

How many users may I block?
Posted: 8/22/2011 3:58:16 PM

You do realize that after a person receives a certain amount of blocks they are removed from the system?

That seems to have been the idea when the system was first set up; once users who repeatedly made a nuisance of themselves had been blocked a certain number of times then their profiles were automatically deleted. This didn't work too well because instead of only blocking rude and abusive users many people blocked users who were not rude and abusive simply because they weren't interested. According to posts by moderators on previous threads about this matter, Admin has stated that users do not get automatically deleted now, but their profile may be flagged for a manual check to see if the messages sent warrant removal from the system.
 Exiguous

You are not allowed to message HER. Return to your inbox
Posted: 8/22/2011 2:29:53 AM
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11786555.aspx
 Exiguous

BLOCKING help
Posted: 8/21/2011 10:45:08 AM

The person keeps unblocking from her side and continuously emails me and IM's me. I can't stop her. What else can I do?

There is very little you can do to stop someone messaging you if they delete their profile and create a new one to get round your block, and (unless it has been fixed) the I.M. does not prevent people you have blocked from contacting you that way, however if you go to ‘Edit Profile’, then ‘Mail Settings’ there is an option box labelled ‘Allow users to initiate chat with me:’ where you can block all other users from using the I.M. to contact you or restrict it to people in your favourites list.
 Exiguous
Msg: 3 (view)

Im sorry but the 2 out of 10 rules is insane.
Posted: 8/20/2011 1:29:24 PM
There are different limits for different fora and it also depends upon how long your posts are.
 Exiguous
Msg: 4 (view)

Question about Why some messages are not sent?
Posted: 8/20/2011 11:14:53 AM
If you see a page that says your message has been sent but the message doesn't show in your sent messages list straight away it probably means you have fallen foul of the anti-spam filter, certain words (and these words are not disclosed) for example the names of countries that have a reputation for being a source of lots of spam, words like account (as in bank account) and the @ symbol could also trip it. If the message shows top start with but disappears later it probably means that you have been blocked by the recipient.
 Exiguous

How do shy people restart their lives in a new city?
Posted: 8/20/2011 10:59:04 AM
London is a pretty easy city to get around, if there isn't much in the way of clubs and societies locally then why not find something you can get to easily by public transport or bicycle, there's bound to be a dance class fairly close, salsa, ceroc, jive, whatever, any number of sports of course, if you're not into really physical things like football and rugby maybe something like badminton, volleyball, archery, etc. might appeal more, perhaps find a pub with a quiz night and see if they make up scratch teams from random people on the night. Here's a suggestion that you almost certainly won't have thought of, church bell ringing could appeal to you judging by your interests (it is not necessary to be a God botherer) ringing is about patterns and permutations rather than music, and is an activity that can be partly a physical challenge but mainly a mental one in a way that tends to appeal to the type of mathematical brain that makes a good chess player or programmer, and at the end of the weekly practice it is usual to adjourn to the nearest hostelry and indulge in a pint or two.
 Exiguous
Msg: 13 (view)

PORTSMOUTH MIDWEEK MEET 4TH BIRTHDAY DISCO PARTY! 18TH AUG .GEORGE AND DRAGON PO2 7EB!!! COME AND PARTY
Posted: 8/18/2011 10:29:42 AM
I just saw this event advertised... I've never been to one before, but I thought I might give it a go. Is ok to come alone? Is there parking at the pub?

Might be a bit late posting this answer but yes, just turn up and look for all the people wearing sticky name badges!!
The pub doesn't have a car park but there is parking in the surrounding streets, you should be able to find a space pretty close.
 Exiguous

White Horse Otterbourne
Posted: 8/18/2011 5:18:26 AM
This event could well have potential, but as you found it's hard to tell who is a member of PoF and who is just a customer if a meet is held at a pub, I'm not dead keen on sticky name badges myself but I can't really suggest a better way round it, although if you send out a mass mailing through PoF again, this time it would be a good idea to include the URL of the forum page (i.e. http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14605772.aspx) so people who don't know about the fora can sign up here, that way there's a chance we might recognise each other from our photographs.
 Exiguous

Filter out those that won't tak to me
Posted: 8/17/2011 3:39:55 AM

If their prerequisites prevent me from contacting them, remove them from m search options.

If you are logged in then people you can't contact because of their messaging restrictions will not show in the normal searches.
 Exiguous

If im blocked.......?
Posted: 8/17/2011 3:36:58 AM
You can't usually be blocked until you have sent a message, you don't get notified that you have been blocked until you try to send another message, if you send a message and they don't reply it means they aren't interested so don't bother sending more, then it won't matter if you have been blocked or not.
 Exiguous

1 Minute
Posted: 8/16/2011 8:14:47 AM
Yes, it's a bug that's been going on for a couple of weeks, it should be displayed in the ‘Last Online’ column to the right of one of the messages you sent out to someone, and it is where it's supposed to be for ‘0 minutes’, ‘2 minutes’, ‘1 hour’ etc, it's just ‘1 minute’ that is screwed up and will stay that way until the guy in charge notices and fixes it.
 Exiguous

Meet Me: repeated profiles
Posted: 8/16/2011 8:08:28 AM
The ‘Meet Me’ thing used to recycle all the profiles no matter what you clicked when it was first introduced but the guy in charge fixed that, unless it is broken again the obvious reason would be that some of the people you have seen have deleted their profiles and set up new ones, or you did the same. The ‘Yes’ and ‘Maybe’ buttons do exactly the same thing, they both mean yes, nobody but the guy in charge knows why he coded it that way and most people don't realise.

It would also be great to have the image captions included - sometimes you don't know if it is the person on the right or the left that you are asking out!

The image captions are included on the profile, just click on the main picture to go to the profile.
 Exiguous
Msg: 6 (view)

Cellpones and my inbox.
Posted: 8/15/2011 3:52:53 PM
You could always change your restrictions to allow you to send yourself a message then change them back.
 Exiguous

New here
Posted: 8/15/2011 2:48:17 PM
Anything you may want to ask has almost certainly been asked before, if you don't check out the site's help section (which is often out of date and pretty useless) and the forum F.A.Q.'s (which are considerably more useful than the help section) and do a forum search for previous threads asking the same thing, you will be told that you should have done those things first, that's how this place works.
 Exiguous

Incoming messages not appearing in my inbox
Posted: 8/15/2011 8:02:15 AM
Do you have a different browser on your computer that you could try, or access to another P.C.?
 Exiguous

No pictures with children
Posted: 8/14/2011 10:10:34 AM
Why?
 Exiguous

POF E-Mail
Posted: 8/13/2011 2:04:28 PM

We definitely need a way to be able to control these messages! This is a major annoyance for me

If everyone who found it annoying set up a filter to bounce their ‘Meet Me’ e-mails back to csr@pof.com maybe the powers that be might understand why people find it so irksome.
 Exiguous
Msg: 23 (view)

Can't block a stalker.... help
Posted: 8/13/2011 11:03:45 AM

The messages aren't there... so I can't

There might be a way to block him but I have seen posts saying how deleted in the past, I can't mail you because of your filters, if you send a message to me I might be able to help.
 Exiguous
Msg: 8 (view)

Bug - distances
Posted: 8/12/2011 9:10:19 AM
For the benefit of anyone else coming across this old thread, currently (2011) if a basic search returns too few results within the distance specified it returns those results but also extends the range of the search automatically in order to return a greater selection of profiles, this is deliberate. From what I can tell the local results are presented first and the extra results will be tacked onto the end.
 Exiguous
Msg: 9 (view)

Having a block button permanently please.
Posted: 8/9/2011 8:38:45 AM
^^^^^
There used to be a time when that worked but the loophole was closed, it may be possible again since the new chat thing, but we're not supposed to write about it in the forum!
 Exiguous

Wants to meet area
Posted: 8/9/2011 1:13:58 AM
No, there isn't. The most you can do is set up an e-mail filter to send those messages straight to the deleted messages folder.
 Exiguous

Posted: 8/9/2011 1:09:13 AM

A block deletes the message at the receiver end anyway.

A block deletes all messages sent by the person who has been blocked, from both that person's sent mail page and from the inbox page of the person who initiated the block, it does not delete any messages sent by the person who initiated the block or prevent them from sending more messages.
 Exiguous

Battery Problem
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:58:41 PM
Most laptops have a small coin cell to keep the clock going if the main battery is removed, it can last for years before it runs down , it is usually situated just under the keyboard and is very easy to replace.

Try looking up the instructions for your laptop on the internet.
 Exiguous

blocking , what a joke
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:51:08 PM

... I just blocked him, yet he is still able to send a chat request. What gives?

The new instant messenger is a work in progress and the last I heard it doesn't take account of who you have blocked, if you go to Edit Profile then Mail Settings there is a drop down box labelled ‘Allow users to initiate chat with me:’ where you can block all users from trying to I.M. you, or restrict it to people you have placed in your favourites list.
 Exiguous

PORTSMOUTH MIDWEEK MEET 4TH BIRTHDAY DISCO PARTY! 18TH AUG .GEORGE AND DRAGON PO2 7EB!!! COME AND PARTY
Posted: 8/8/2011 8:21:06 AM

Hi Goldilocks1971. I am a new member to POF, and this is the first event that I have signed up to. I live alone, and have no transport, so wondered if you know of anyone who lives in the Chandler's Ford/Eastleigh area that could give me a lift?

I'm coming from Winchester and can give you a lift.
 Exiguous

defrosted freezer
Posted: 8/8/2011 7:52:42 AM
The above post about a warranty is possibly misleading, I wouldn't expect a warranty to have a term covering loss of food in the event of a fault, but the only way to know is to read it and if it does, go down that route first, but warranties are in addition to your statutory legal rights, and I think it's reasonable to expect an appliance like a fridge-freezer to work for more than seven months. You could therefore have a legal case for claiming consequential losses against the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act, although don't expect the retailer to make it easy for you, ultimately it could mean making a claim in the small claims court.
 Exiguous

Posted: 8/8/2011 7:15:02 AM

Unless a person sends you a message, I'm not sure why you would need to block that person.

It's so she doesn't feel guilty about hurting people's feelings by ignoring their messages.
 Exiguous

Posted: 8/8/2011 6:56:12 AM
If an account is blocked enough times it is flagged and possibly deleted, it used to be automatically deleted on the assumption that repeated blocking indicated an abusive member, but so many people used it just because they weren't interested that now accounts and messages have to be reviewed manually first, apparently. If people could block anyone they wanted before even being sent a message the staff would be unable to review the profiles and kick off the abusive users.
 Exiguous
Msg: 18 (view)

Ghosthunting
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:39:19 AM
how does a battery short circuit?

A short circuit will be created if anything conductive touches both ends of a battery at the same time, it's particularly easy to do with those square 9 volt batteries with the two raised contacts on the same end right next to each other, it's happened in my own trousers on more than one occasion (as the bishop said to the actress.) With round batteries it wouldn't happen so easily but it's the most obvious explanation, if something conductive (which in practice almost certainly means something metal) touched the base of the battery and the pip on top at the same time then either the conductor or the battery or both would heat up (depends how good the conductor is and how big it is as to which heats up fastest) the foil used to wrap the night's sandwiches in, the zip on a purse, a bunch of keys, all sorts of things one carries in one's pockets could be responsible.
 Exiguous
Msg: 13 (view)

Ghosthunting
Posted: 8/6/2011 3:53:20 AM

i've asked a few random people if it is possible for a battery to heat up in a second like that and noone has been able to say it can [if anyone here can explain it that be cool]

If a battery is short circuited it can heat up very quickly, this could occur in a pocket if there is anything metal like a bunch of keys, tinfoil, a necklace, watch with a metal strap, or maybe even loose change.
 Exiguous

Account
Posted: 8/6/2011 1:19:53 AM
Your favourites can remove themselves from your list if they want, and will also disappear if their accounts are deleted. Messages are automatically deleted after about twenty days, if you want to save them you will have to do so on your own computer.
 Exiguous
Msg: 26 (view)

Southampton, winchester and surrounding areas, August 7, 2011
Posted: 8/5/2011 10:05:00 AM

if we can get just 3 more people to sign up we can send a mass email to every body

Doubt I'll be there but I've signed up so you just need one more now.
 Exiguous

How to contact POF
Posted: 8/5/2011 7:55:38 AM

No when you block someone it removes their messages in your inbox only. Sent messages remain unless they also block you in return.

Exactly, which is what seems to have happened, so she hasn't blocked him but he might have blocked her.
 Exiguous

How to contact POF
Posted: 8/5/2011 7:43:18 AM
If you can see the messages you sent her then she hasn't blocked you, although you may have accidentally blocked her since you can't see the messages she sent. If she sent those messages more than about twenty days ago they will disappear automatically.
 Exiguous

someone has copyed my account name and pics what can i do
Posted: 8/5/2011 3:25:22 AM
If you reported it using the button at the bottom of the profile not much will happen since it requires lots of different users to report a profile before it is taken down by the system. Try contacting customer support by email: csr@pof.com but don't hold your breath.
 Exiguous

Not accepting emails... Um, HELLO!
Posted: 7/26/2011 2:20:31 AM

In my experience, if I happen to click 'send message' at the bottom of a profile, the site produces that page without offering me the chance to write an email.

If you write in the quick message box it doesn't though, and you are able to write an ordinary message and won't find out until you try to send it if the intended recipient has already blocked you.
 Exiguous

Who is deleting my forum posts!
Posted: 7/26/2011 2:14:37 AM

Oh ok, so I'm suppose to search through thousands of post to find a question that exactly pertains to my situation? Ok, yeah that sounds easy enough.

Congratulations on figuring out how this forum works.
 Exiguous
Msg: 9 (view)

Morale Dilema.
Posted: 7/26/2011 2:02:46 AM
Put girl A in touch with girl B and give them a copy of ‘Nine to Five’ to watch.
 Exiguous
Msg: 7 (view)

Getting wrong email, definitely!
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:12:20 PM
The name by the green dot is not the username of the account you are logged into, it shows that that person has sent you a message in the last three weeks and that she logged in within the last thirty minutes or so. You are either wrong in thinking that she didn't ever send you a message, or she could have changed her user name and/or photo and you don't recognise her, or there is some sort of glitch with the site and you haven't seen the message she sent.
 Exiguous

Getting wrong email, definitely!
Posted: 7/21/2011 4:58:59 PM
When you go to your inbox page, below some thumbnails of random users you will see the heading ‘My Inbox’ would I be correct in thinking that the name of the other user is appearing just to the right of this heading along with either a green dot or the word chat? If this is the case, the names you see here are those of users who have sent you a message within the last twenty days or so and who have logged into the site recently, it does not display the username of the owner of the inbox.
 Exiguous

Being reported
Posted: 7/18/2011 9:01:40 AM

What I'm worried about is losing the friends I've made who have hidden profiles.

Just in case you might want to bookmark their profile URLs in your browser.
 Exiguous
Msg: 28 (view)

gym fix
Posted: 7/14/2011 5:14:45 PM

the best dietary advice is "move more, eat less"
It's so simple, yet a walk around the High Street reveals loads of people who have failed to grasp the concept.

They aren't hard to spot either, they're the 30/40/50 somethings coming out of McDonalds or Greggs on mobility scooters!
 Exiguous

Says Message Sent but Message Wasnt Sent
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:35:01 AM
You are correct, if it isn't shown on your sent messages page it wasn't sent, the message was probably stopped by the filters the site uses to block spammers' and scammers' messages getting through, you should be able to work out why it was blocked if you check out the forum F.A.Q.s.
 Exiguous

I recieve a message saying someone wants to meet me..
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:58:10 AM
Because they don't understand how the ‘Meet Me’ feature works and didn't read your profile, just saw your picture and clicked ‘Yes’ (or ‘Maybe’, which does exactly the same as ‘Yes’) the message is then sent automatically by the system.
 Exiguous

Problem sending messages
Posted: 7/12/2011 1:54:14 AM
If it isn't in the sent message folder it wasn't sent, even though the site tells you it was, this is deliberate so spammers and scammers don't realise they're wasting their time.

Check the forum F.A.Q.s to work out why your messages are getting stopped.

Show ALL Forums