Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Best Friends
 A_Gent
Msg: 17 (view)

Best Friends
Posted: 10/5/2012 3:56:45 AM
Hey OP

On one hand, your friend could have been a narcissist ... or at the least immature... and can't stand sharing you with anyone else.

On the other hand, you might just be soooo absorbed in your new guy that even when you are with your friend.. you're not with her.

Tell us more.
 a_gent
Msg: 71 (view)

My cousins wife is hot!
Posted: 10/2/2012 8:39:52 PM

Another tid bit is that married men or women should not spend time alone with the opposite sex.
The appearance of inpropriety is often worse than the inpropriety itself.

It's not so much the appearance of impropriety, but the opportunity of impropriety.

To which anyone is capable.

Avoiding situations where one can be compromised is being respectful of one's partner, or others' relationships.
 A_Gent
Msg: 9 (view)

Should I confess to cheating in the first 2 weeks of relationship?
Posted: 10/2/2012 8:33:25 PM
Interesting situation... What does your room mate think about it all?
 a_gent
Msg: 21 (view)

How honest ?
Posted: 10/1/2012 1:34:37 PM

OP: You have THREE children, all for whom you've the responsibility of caring, regardless of the relationships you have/had/have with the mothers. Quite frankly, the mother of your youngest son just had him five months ago and you and she had ended the relationship two months ago. Since you have absconded responsibility of child number three and responsibility of the last relation which only ended two months ago and now you search for mommy number three, I suggest that you sort out your business before you bed another woman and leave another child bereft.

Like she said.

Prove you are a person of good character and not just some dimwit sperm donor.

Man up.
 A_Gent
Msg: 10 (view)

My cousins wife is hot!
Posted: 9/30/2012 12:18:26 PM
Bad news all around....

... But tell us all, dude...

If it was your wife inviting your cousin for a cozy hang out... would you appreciate it?

I suppose the facts that you have had excuses to not take her up on her invitation, and that you are even asking the questions shows you have some degree of integrity....

... and good for you.

But it will take some effort to resist the siren's call.

Think this through very carefully with your big head!

Stay clear.

And have a man to man talk with your cousin.

Respect.
 a_gent
Msg: 9 (view)

what too do
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:56:53 AM
Her is subjecting you to emotional abuse.

Shame on him.

But you are allowing it.

Shame on you.

Go to a women's shelter for some help. They will tell you its all about how men exercise dominance over women and its all their fault.... yada yada yada...

But along the way you may find out that it is up to YOU stand up for yourself and YOU get control of YOUR life.

No one can take advantage of you without your permission.
 a_gent
Msg: 22 (view)

Just made plans to meet and user deleted her account ??
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:50:20 AM
People go on and leave this site for many reasons.

It could be that she didn't like the scene.. too many creeps.. was feeling insecure... was feeling a stigma about being on a dating site... she is in a relationship and is flirting or fooling around... an old BF came back... she made a new BF and didn't want the complications....

I suppose each of us could give at least a few other reasons.

The point is, my friend, is that you don't know unless you ask her.

Make no conclusions until you get the facts...

...not a bunch of assumptions from strangers.
 A_Gent

scared of getting into a relationship :-(
Posted: 9/26/2012 3:52:49 PM
An interesting insight, Moonbeam.

The one night stands as a way of trying to have misogynist power over women without risking emotional intimacy. A way of getting back at the woman who hurt him.
 a_gent
Msg: 51 (view)

Uncertainty stage depreciation thread :-(
Posted: 9/25/2012 7:00:22 PM
The conversation goes something like this...

Hon... we've been going out for a while and I think there is a real connection between us. I am looking to find a long term relationship... hopefully even a commitment. I think we have that potential and I'm willing to invest in us and give it a good try... but I want to know that you are willing to invest in us as well. What I am saying is that I'd like us to be exclusive. That is not a promise to get engaged .... but a promise to not pursue anyone else romantically and give us the best chance. What do you think?
 a_gent
Msg: 7 (view)

Too Sensitive?
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:33:33 AM

I'm just wondering what the best way to handle this is, and how to avoid it in the future. I still like her, and I don't want to blow my chances at a relationship with her.

Friend... this IS your relationship with her. And as good as it's ever going to get.

You will spend much time and angst waiting to invest in this relationship....

... and it will give you something to do.

.... or cut your loses and find someone who is ready for a relationship with you.
 A_Gent
Msg: 36 (view)

Life should be enjoyed not annoyed
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:21:24 AM
Kinda curious, OP.

You are putting out there that music is your life and all you really need to be fulfilled.

Why ya hanging about a dating site and your profile says you are looking for a relationship, instead of being out there doing the music of the spheres?
 a_gent
Msg: 5 (view)

scared of getting into a relationship :-(
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:26:59 AM
Life it like a horse... parts of it stink.

And there is no end of sh*t you have to deal with.

And sometimes you get thrown.... into the sh*t.

But it is still a magnificent beast if you have the skills and courage to ride.

Get back on the horse or keep rolling around in the sh*t.

Up to you.
 a_gent
Msg: 11 (view)

Girl disappears for two months then messages me
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:21:11 AM
Why not take it at face value.

She needed a break from dating and you were bad timing.

She is showing she is interested and inviting you to connect with her.

If you are still interested .... and your ego can get over that she wasn't all over you like white on rice when you first connected because maybe she does have a life that hasn't been focused on you ... might be worth exploring.

Never know.
 a_gent
Msg: 47 (view)

Dating Confusion!
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:13:37 AM

Quite honestly, I've never had to make it clear to anyone I was meeting for the first or second time that there would "be sex." If the subject even came up, their intent would be pretty damned obvious and I wouldn't be meeting them at all.

It's called communication. Many men AND women get into a date expecting that it is going to end up in sex. Good if they find their match... Giddy-up! Many women AND men get into a date wanting to take it slow and hold off on the physical intimacy until the emotional intimacy has a chance to become real. Great when they find their match...

Whether either is a better approach is another discussion....

.... however, if the two people have a wee talk about what their expectations are.... there is less room for misunderstanding and frustrating end to the evening. ..or weekend as the OP's case may be.
 A_Gent

Posted: 9/24/2012 4:07:47 AM
Did some research on this a few years ago... the demographic that is rising faster than many of the others is women deciding to live as singles. They may have romantic encounters along the way, or have a monogamous partner.... but have no intention of officially cohabiting (longer than a weekend or vacation) or making any life commitment.

Seems the OP is just following the trend.
 a_gent
Msg: 28 (view)

Dating Confusion!
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:09:14 PM
Generally... a man will either feel it at the start or not at all. He may try to give if a chance and act the part... in all sincerity... but if it's not there, it's not there.

Be grateful that he was forthright with you. You had an adventure. Pat him on his head and send him on his way...

.... and you go yours.

Read Mars and Venus On a Date.

A good handbook for the dating perplexed.
 a_gent

widowed or divorsed? which is easier tio start over?
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:00:35 PM
The theory is that it is somewhat less difficult moving on from being widowed than divorce, as there is not the hurt of betrayal and income and resources that often accompany divorce.

However, everyone's situation is somewhat different, and really.... the discussion is mostly academic as the most difficult thing to get through for you, is what you yourself is going through.
 a_gent
Msg: 38 (view)

Can you really look for love?
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:56:52 PM

I guess I may be getting bias answers because we are all on this site to actively look for a potential person to be with. I guess that I have met only douche bags that want to have sex on this site so far, that makes me question if most of these guys intentions are not to find someone to love but rather satisfy their sexual needs. I guess bottom line of this question is can you really look for love? Or is it really something that comes on it own, when you don't expect it?

I suppose it's like luck. The better you prepare yourself, and the smarter the choices you make, the more likely good luck will find you.
 a_gent
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 9/23/2012 5:54:01 PM
There was this guy who wrote some letters about 1900 years ago on this very topic. Generally his advice was, if you need to get married, well best you get married, but if you don't, it's probably better because you can save yourself a lot of bother and focus more of your attention on the things you want to do. Six of one, half dozen of the other... but if you aren't sure you want to get married... best you don't.

To add to it ... if you don't want to get married, make sure it is because that is the right decision for you and do so confidently, and not because you are to frightened or insecure to make the decision.
 a_gent
Msg: 25 (view)

Dating Confusion!
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:45:26 PM

Apparently you don't get it. A couple more weeks? For most guy that's the death sentence. Most guys expect sex within a few dates.

Well first of all.. if a guy is dating you because he EXPECTS to have sex, he certainly doesn't respect you. And if you are having sex with him because he expects it, you don't respect yourself, and he certainly won't.

If you are looking to get yer rocks off... have a good time but don't mistake it for a relationship. If the guy is worthy of a relationship with you, he WILL wait until you are both mutually ready for that degree of intimacy.

As to the OP's initial question.. it is quite possible that the guy was sincere in his interest, but after starting off hot and heavy and acting like you were engaged already, the infatuation faded and he lost interest.

You can blame and wail and gnash teeth... or accept it for what it was and what it's not.

Next time take it slower and see if you actually like each other when you get to know each other. If the chemistry is right, it will still be there.. even more.
 a_gent

Male, needs some advice on minor heartbreak.
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:17:52 AM
She is in a relationship and is ... or ought to be unavailable to you.

And consider that if she does it with you, she'll do it to you. Is that the sort of girl you want to be dating? Could you trust her?

You had some fun and know that your heart is alive and open to a relationship. It was what it was. It is what it is.

Keep moving forward.
 a_gent

I always screw up good things because of the same issue
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:05:53 AM
It has to do with your level of emotional maturity, emotional and thinking skills. Your primitive emotions are giving you information, but without knowing how to understand them and how to process your thoughts and feelings, the primitive insecurities emerge and you go into fight or flight mode. And then it makes you seem insecure and needy and clingy and jealous... and will drive more people away than encourage them to get closer.

Techniques that you could learn from the internet, books, counselling individually or in group could include mindfulness training and meditation, anger/emotional management, and thought disputing.

Here is a sample to get you started.

https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/psychological-practices/d

http://prc.canadianpaincoalition.ca/media/challenging_your_thinking.pdf

Bon chance.
 a_gent
Msg: 3 (view)

Out of touch
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:56:45 PM
I'm wondering if you haven't got over your first girlfriend in 6th grade and that is part of the reason you haven't been able to let go of your last... just a hunch.

You don't find yourself.. you create yourself.

If you wish to live a dull, uninteresting, cloistered and lonely life.. then do dull, uninteresting, cloistered and lonely things.

Or.. become an interesting person by doing interesting things and meeting interesting people.. and maybe you'll meet and interesting person.

What can you do? Take up music and go to jams. Take on an interesting hobby and go to clubs and events. Take some college courses on a wide range of topics. Volunteer for worthy causes. Sign up for Toastmasters........never a bad idea.

Off you go now... create your life.
 A_Gent
Msg: 8 (view)

How do you define the Stages of a Relationship?
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:48:27 PM

How do you define the Stages of a Relationship?

Eventually.... "plaintiff."
 a_gent
Msg: 2 (view)

Jelousy
Posted: 9/13/2012 7:14:00 PM
Well Dude.. get rid of the car photos.. makes you look materialistic. Then get yer mom to dress you nice and get few professional photos done.. and then put yourself up in the review profile thread.

Are you wrong to envy... yes. Because you take no responsibility to improve yourself.

Be happy for those who have found love .. and work on improving yourself.

Remember.. you don't find yourself.. you create yourself.

And join Toastmasters... can't hurt.
 a_gent
Msg: 61 (view)

Seeing pic of ex happy with new boyfriend
Posted: 9/12/2012 7:10:18 PM
I think you chose to say the noble thing - a decision your head makes... and if you truly love this person, you will want what is best for her. Even if it is at your own expense.... the tough part is living it now and letting your heart catch up to the reality.

Best wishes.
 A_Gent

They all start out nice
Posted: 9/11/2012 3:58:00 AM

When a man loves you enough to fart on you, that means that he's comfortable around you and being playful.

See the note about treating your partner at least as well as you want to be treated.
 a_gent
Msg: 17 (view)

They all start out nice
Posted: 9/10/2012 7:32:24 PM
Everybody is normal until you get to know them. Real love is when you get to know the real person and can still choose to love them.

A question I often ask "clients" is to consider how you treat your partner .... and if you were to be with someone who treated you in that same way.. would you want to be with someone just like you?

If not.. then why should anyone else?
 a_gent

Online Stalking
Posted: 9/10/2012 7:28:38 PM
For what it is worth... I once had an obscene phone caller... instead of becoming offended and incensed .. I simply put the phone down and walked away. I once heard the caller yell to get a reaction... but apparently he clued in that I wasn't playing his game. He eventually just gave up and maybe found another person who would validate him.

The point being.. just continue to ignore and block the person. If you can in anyway identify the person... contact the website to have them blocked, and perhaps contact the local authorities to have them investigated.

Best regards.
 A_Gent
Msg: 31 (view)

Nothing to believe in
Posted: 9/10/2012 7:14:59 PM

apparently, if we guys are not successful in attracting women, we have to do a lot of changes to ourself mentally, socially.

Not necessarily. To thine own self be true....if you are happy in your solace, more power to you.

What does it profit you to gain the whole world, yet lose your soul in the process?

If one is not attractive to other people, what does that say about you? Is it because they are so misinformed that they cannot recognize what a gem you must be, and they only have to recognize what a diamond in the rough you are... or is it up to you to do a little refining and polishing of yourself first?

If you wish to be attractive to other people, and recognizing that you cannot directly change other people, you can only change yourself and thereby give room for others to respond as they will, how might you change yourself t allow others to room to respond?

As to the OP... sure Bud.. you've had a shi**y past. Yet the past cannot hurt you now unless you continue to allow it to.

Does the past determine and undermine your future?

Why should it?
 a_gent
Msg: 6 (view)

Dealing with Guilt After Break Up
Posted: 9/9/2012 5:28:46 PM
If you have an agreement to be exclusive, you do not pursue other potentially romantic interests.

If you are no longer exclusive, you are free to explore other potentially romantic interests.

If you feel like you are cheating when you are exploring other romantic interests, then maybe that tells you its time to have that talk with your would-be honey and make it real.. one way or the other.
 A_Gent
Msg: 18 (view)

Dating definitions?
Posted: 9/9/2012 5:22:17 PM
A terribly caustic look at dating and should be given no more credence than a movie or sports critic.

Everyone may be entitled to an opinion... that does not mean that every opinion is entitled.

Dating is getting to know each other well enough to have a reasonable idea that the relationship is worth working toward a real relationship.

Every journey begins with a single step.
 A_Gent
Msg: 7 (view)

Want to be official dating but he's still online looking?!?
Posted: 9/9/2012 5:19:35 PM
If, after a few dates, the guy is not looking to be exclusive, and is still checking out his options... he is just not that into her.

A simple as that.
 a_gent
Msg: 4 (view)

Lonely in the dark...
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:25:33 AM
I know how you feel... I'm agnostic, insomniac, and dyslexic... all night long I lay in bed and wonder if there really is a doG!
 a_gent
Msg: 25 (view)

Nothing to believe in
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:24:08 AM
The OP is like a person who has fallen into deep water and is crying out for help... but instead of taking an outreached hand to help himself up... he wants to pull the would be rescuer in to wallow with him.

OP... the answer is within yourself. Nobody can help you lest you want to help yourself first. I'm not suggesting its easy, considering the background you've shared, yet you can put the effort into learning to swim and pulling yourself out of the deeps.... or enjoy staying the way you are.

As to the would be rescuers... it's one thing to be compassionate and offer encouragement... another thing to become an enabler and perhaps a victim of the victim.
 a_gent

why do girls lead guys on?
Posted: 9/7/2012 3:59:06 AM

I am very shy and fear rejection to the 1000% I have to have more than a reasonable drought that someone may be interested in me that took about six years in this case

So how's that working for ya?

Ya know... you can't change other people... but you can change yourself and that allows other people room to respond.

So what do you think you could do to better manage your anxieties?
 a_gent
Msg: 13 (view)

Ask a girl out from study group?
Posted: 9/6/2012 7:38:44 PM
You talk to her as a person.

Express that you would like to get to know her socially beyond the study group. If she responds with interest...off you go. If she is reluctant... you pledge and really mean it by your actions that you are happy to consider her as a friend and get on with the business of study group.

Are you up to it?
 a_gent
Msg: 2 (view)

Date him or dump him?
Posted: 9/6/2012 7:33:46 PM
First of all... get beyond your delusions.

Another example of the "Princess syndrome."

You relate to anthropology of men.

Consider first how your preconceived notions about yourself taint your ability to appreciate what truly is about your potential partnership, and what is not.

Perhaps then with an honest appraisal of what you have to offer a relationship, you may more genuinely appreciate what your soul mate can contribute.

Says me.
 a_gent

Forever Alone
Posted: 9/6/2012 6:10:58 PM
Ya know dude.. I appreciate you have CP and I don't wish to trivialize it... but your attitude is your biggest disability.

Rick Hansen circled the globe in wheel chair.

Terry Fox inspired a world with only one leg.

Check this guy out... flew across Canada without the use of his legs. http://www.giftofwings.ca/

By the way.. recent research supports that excessive use of weed causes irreversible loss of intellect.

You want to find a girl who will accept you for who you are? Would you want to be with someone like you? If not.. then why would anyone else?

You do not find yourself... you create yourself.

Become an interesting person by doing interesting things and perhaps you'll meet interesting people along the way and have an interesting life.

It takes some degree of courage and effort.

Are you up to it.... or will you find another excuse?

Hmmm?
 a_gent
Msg: 12 (view)

Is it worth the hurt?
Posted: 9/6/2012 6:01:48 PM

I really wish I could have given this girl my everything

Well, you could have. You could have accepted that to truly love someone you want what is best for them, even if it is at your own expense. You could have told her you were sad she was leaving yet you wanted her to be happy and sent her well on her way. Perhaps she would be thinking fondly of you and wanted to come back to the best guy she has ever known.

Am I sounding selfish?

You bet. And a major weenie too.

I don't want to be hurt

Then stay out of the dating world. It's not for the selfish, weak, or cowards.

Look Bud... it's tough to be dating. You won't find love without risking being broken hearted.

Man up!
 a_gent
Msg: 40 (view)

Can she be cheating?
Posted: 9/6/2012 5:29:02 AM
Op... if you are really that dense or naive to stay in a "relationship" such as this... you deserve everything you get.
 a_gent

Can judge a book by its cover???
Posted: 9/6/2012 5:23:15 AM
On line services such as this offer an introduction... just like the cover on a book.

And just like a book you have to explore it a bit to see if its likely to be worth your time to stay engaged ...or best to close the cover and move on.
 a_gent
Msg: 18 (view)

Cheated on by Narcassistic Man.
Posted: 9/2/2012 4:52:44 PM
Who you are attracted to says as much about you as it does the other person... what needs in your life were you trying to satisfy?

That is not intended as put down, but an opportunity for self reflection and taking stock of yourself... and opportunity for personal growth... rather than blaming ... whomever.

Get yerself a copy of Emotional Vampires: How to recognize and deal with the people who drain you dry, by Bernstein.

Recognize yourself.

Educate yourself.

Keep moving forward.
 a_gent
Msg: 62 (view)

Should you really be yourself?
Posted: 9/2/2012 4:48:12 PM
Consider all you have to offer and how you treat other people. If you would not want to be in a relationship with someone just like you... why should anyone else?

It is up to you to become the person you wish to be.... not expecting someone else to make it happen for you.

Take a good and honest look at yourself.

Recognize your good points and build on them.

Recognize your less than desirable qualities and then find ways .. counselling, education, introspection .. and overcome them.

Become an interesting person by doing interesting things and reading interesting books and engaging interesting people... perhaps in time you might become an interesting person while living your own interesting life.

Grow.. evolve.

That simple and that hard.

Bon chance.
 a_gent
Msg: 3 (view)

Looking to the future after 4 years.
Posted: 8/30/2012 6:49:11 AM
Seems you have the right attitude... the only way to the end of it, is through it.

Become better ..... not bitter. Appreciate what you did share together and less resentment for what you may have lost.

May you find this new chapter in your life is a time of personal growth and renewal.
 a_gent
Msg: 11 (view)

Mending my heart as I am looking for my prince.... :)
Posted: 8/30/2012 6:43:53 AM
First... get some coaching about your profile from the profile review section. You seem to be a pretty woman but your photos are mopey and sloppy. Fix up your hair, put on some nice clothes, a bit of makeup.. off you go to Sears or Walmart and get some pro pics done. A few shots of you doing things and having fun would help as well.

Then... if you are afraid of getting your heart broken, DO NOT risk finding a life partner. It is an awkward process at best and risk is inherent with playing the game of life.

You begin by looking within yourself and becoming and interesting person by doing interesting things and investing in yourself and growing and evolving as a person ... as you do so you are more likely enjoy your own life and more likely to meet a person who is interesting and evolving as well and enjoying his life ... and the more you each enjoy your own life the more you can share with each other.... rather than expecting someone to make your life happen for you.

As for navigating the dating world toward finding your life partner.... I highly recommend you read.. and make use of what makes sense to you.. Mars and Venus On a Date, by John Gray. Yes it's pop-psychology and self help and maybe 20% of the book is garbage... but the other 80% is bang on. Consider it a guide for the dating perplexed.
 A_Gent
Msg: 84 (view)

Human rights atrocities in Canada?
Posted: 8/30/2012 3:33:39 AM
Hey... no Quebec bashing is necessary.
 A_Gent
Msg: 81 (view)

Human rights atrocities in Canada?
Posted: 8/29/2012 2:31:56 PM
So wondering with back to school week upon us... and in keeping with the original theme of this post... are the Quebec students, with subsidized education (lowest tuition rates in Canada... let alone North America), health care with no out of pocket expenses, and all the other benefits that come with being part of Canadian society.. are still thinking themselves hard done by?
 a_gent

Advice needed
Posted: 8/28/2012 7:22:28 PM
If you want things to change, YOU have to change things.

If something you think of doing will add value to your life and add to your life goals and direction... do so.

If something will take value from your life and impair your progress... well best you don't do it.

Ever notice how negative people hang around with negative people?

Constructive choice number 1. Ditch the downer "friends." They are only sucking the life out of you...
 a_gent
Msg: 4 (view)

Repair times.
Posted: 8/28/2012 7:17:48 PM
As my Granny used to say... "Getting old is not for cowards."

Deal with it.

Show ALL Forums