Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Time Travel-Is it possible?
 welshfungi
Msg: 86 (view)

Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 11/5/2011 10:44:40 AM
I could not find a link to the original New Scientist article I referred to in my previous post but I did find this link to a recent clip about building one with a worm hole.
http://bcove.me/wa9yckcj
 welshfungi
Msg: 76 (view)

Time Travel-Is it possible?
Posted: 11/2/2011 4:15:49 PM
[If you were in a space ship, traveling very fast, you don't notice any difference in the passage of time. But, if you look out the window, you will notice the rate of time for the rest of the universe is speeding up.
People outside will notice no difference in their time. But, looking in the window of your spaceship, they will notice your time is slowing down. You are moving in slow motion.]

That's not correct the rest of the universe appear slowed to you just as the rest of the universe perceive you as having slowed down. Yes that seems impossible but its has been confirmed by experiments.

So at the speed of light not only does the time of the universe appear to have stopped to you but the rest of the universe perceive your time to have stopped. Which means that at the speed of light you can travel an infinite distance in zero time. Distance also appear to change but thats an other complication I will not go in to.

No one really knows what would happen if you could travel faster than the speed of light. The equations of relativity do suggest answer but they are not necessarily configured to give the correct one.

One more point some have suggested the difficulty of getting to the correct point in space . The time machine suggested by New Scientist some years ago now was in effect a machine that distorted space and time. It would only be possible to travel back or forward in time to points when the machine existed. In effect you enter the machines at one point in time and exit it at an other point in time. So where ever the machine is when you exit it that is where you would be.

Show ALL Forums