Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: what's your favorite kind of tea and why?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 3 (view)

what's your favorite kind of tea and why?
Posted: 10/17/2012 6:45:27 PM
Way too much carbs in bubble tea for me to drink it.

Personally, I LOVE lime hibiscus Yerba mate with lemon juice and stevia. I also love tetley's wildberry herbal tea with lime oil, lemon juice and again stevia. I make an iced tea with hot steeped, cooled Red Rose and lemon juice, lemon oil, and stevia. (Not sure why but I always need the tartness of lemon juice when sweetening a drink with stevia)
 Belle Requin
Msg: 22 (view)

Happy Turkey Day fellow Canadians
Posted: 10/10/2012 6:44:49 PM
I'm a traditionalist. I made a turkey dinner. It is not 'Thanksgiving Dinner' without a turkey. It may be dinner on Thanksgiving day, but it is not 'Thanksgiving Dinner'. The turkey was accompanied by the usual- ham, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, and carrots. I threw in some tomatoes with balsamic as a side. Dessert was an apple berry crisp, and maple pumpkin cheesecake, and home made vanilla bean icecream. Thankfully it was shared amongst 5 friends, people went for seconds and thirds, and the leftovers were gone by the following day.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 27 (view)

those big flat screens and decorating
Posted: 10/1/2012 11:45:24 AM
How big is the TV? My 42" sits on top of an electric fireplace. Works great.

You can also go buy one of these: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S89862142/ or something similar if you have the wall space.

But otherwise suck it up. Sounds like your partner lives there too. If a TV in the room is making you cry, you should probably get some help with that.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 55 (view)

Is a Kitchenaid mixer worth it?
Posted: 9/30/2012 6:27:16 PM
^^Soda bread is what I make most of the time. I can't have conventional wheat- only spelt or kamut in small doses, and their gluten isn't as strong; you're not supposed to knead it twice, so I just avoid yeast breads when making them. But, mine are always dense as I load up on lower carb ingredients like flax, pumpkin seeds, chia, sunflower seeds etc..
 Belle Requin
Msg: 6 (view)

If you could open a reastuarant what would it be like?
Posted: 9/9/2012 8:29:24 AM
Downtown in my hometown. I would call it Niche, and it would cater to people with dietary restrictions. It would be gluten free, corn free, and processed sugar free. I probably wouldn't have any kind of white potato on the menu, and definitely no soda pop. I'd have one vegan entry (philosophically I'm opposed to veganism, but it's business, I'll allow them one app, one main, one dessert on the menu), and probably try to have a kosher option or two.

Open for Lunch and Dinner during the week, breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner would all have different menus.

My hometown is ethnically diverse, and has a lot of immigrants and refugees as well as a lot of hippies. I think it would be the perfect market.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 15 (view)

White Bread demise/Whole grain labels
Posted: 9/8/2012 9:29:29 AM
I actually can't say enough about the Beanitos. Every person I know who's tried them has liked them- including my Dad, who has to be the pickiest eater I know, who seems to have a natural aversion to anything remotely healthier than junk food. I can't buy them where I live, so I stock up every time I visit my parents. I really did try at least a hundred different things looking for something that would crunch like a chip and have that texture- I've even tried making my own chips with quinoa and millet meal, quite unsuccessfully.

If you can't find them locally :
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=beanitos
The cheesey one reminds me of Doritos. The Chipotle BBQ are black bean based, and they don't crunch as much- they're kinda like a spicy all dressed flavour. Apparently they're even on sale this month.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 5 (view)

good paleo diet recipes??
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:02:21 PM
http://healthyindulgences.net
http://mariahealth.blogspot.ca
http://www.elanaspantry.com
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

Paleo friendly for the most part, although they do use erythritol or xylitol a bit. You could easily sub a powdered paleo acceptable sweetener. I'm not paleo (Give up dairy? Never. Eat even moderate amounts of starch? No thanks) but I am grain free, sugar free/low carb.

Admittedly, the above sites tend to have a bit more of a focus on baking, but really, Paleo main courses aren't hard. Cook from scratch and use veggies and lean meats. I also find http://www.simplyrecipes.com great for simple easy to follow, and easy to adapt recipes.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 12 (view)

White Bread demise/Whole grain labels
Posted: 9/7/2012 10:50:05 PM
I'm one of those mostly grain free, mostly gluten free, always wheat free people . I occasionally miss french bread, but the baked goods I make from nuts/seeds/coconut & bean flours all work just fine for me. And when I serve them at dinner parties, I still get compliments and recipe requests.

I don't believe 'whole grains' are healthy. Perhaps healthier than their refined counterparts, but simply the lesser of two evils.

And Peppermint, if you miss tortilla chips, I recommend Beanitos- but the flax ones, not the black bean ones. They do have some rice, but the first two ingredients are pinto beans and flax seeds. Per serving they have 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fibre. I can't eat corn, and these are the first thing in 7 years I've had that are actually like a tortilla chip in crunch and texture, and they taste great.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 8 (view)

Turkey Burgers
Posted: 9/5/2012 7:28:47 PM
avocado, cheese, and bacon make turkey burgers better. I've made an avocado mayo with mayo, avocado and generous cumin.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 4 (view)

Truly baffled
Posted: 9/1/2012 9:54:17 AM
Two hockey pics, neither of which show your face. The rest seem to be party boy pics. Granted, I'm only 31, and never been married, but I'm so not looking for a party boy. Sense of humour is one thing, but your pics are party with the boys pics.

I'm really judgemental about pics- not if he's good looking or not, but what is he trying to convey with the pics? If the words and pics don't match, I judge by pics because I think people put more thought into the words, and pics will show more truth.

So- my suggestion: Cut back to one hockey photo, have a simple nice headshot, and another *nice* photo that doesn't scream 36 and trying to be a frat boy. You can leave one fun loving one up there, but if you're wanting to be taken seriously, let your pics suggest you can be taken seriously.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 37 (view)

Causing a war against type 1 and 2 diabetics.
Posted: 8/18/2012 9:55:32 AM
^^Good carbs though are a stretch for people genetically pre-disposed to diabetes. You can eat lots of whole wheat pasta, but the point is then you won't get a blood sugar spike, but simply from the amount of carbs, you will have a *prolonged* elevated blood glucose level, which is still really really bad for you.

No one needs to eat 300g of carbohydrates a day (lots of athletes survive on low carb diets and still perform well), REGARDLESS of the source of those carbohydrates. But we've vilified fat and animal protein so people run to all the carby junk- and diabetes rates go up.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 42 (view)

Is a Kitchenaid mixer worth it?
Posted: 8/17/2012 10:28:42 AM
I've always considered the savings worth the patience. AND, when you place a few different orders, never knowing when they'll get there, it means the days they show up feel like Christmas. Sometimes, I've gotten things in a week, sometimes it's taken two months. I buy a lot of shoes there... a LOT of shoes...
 Belle requin
Msg: 44 (view)

Brownies.. Low Carb, High Protein, Low Gluten, Low Cal... Delicious
Posted: 8/12/2012 10:30:20 AM
SS- what brand of agave are you using? I shop a lot of health food stores and I have yet to come across a single kind of agave that is so low in carbs- including all the raw and organic ones.
 Belle requin
Msg: 173 (view)

2/3d's US overweight or obese????
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:55:52 AM
I might be one of those fruit nazis Pep.

I look at it this way- you really don't get much from fruit that you can't get from veggies. If you're trying to lose weight, skip the fruit. The fact is, once someone is significantly overweight, the body changes the way it deals with things- metabolic syndrome anyone? Until you're able to get down to a more reasonable weight, skip the fruit. Add it back as a treat when it's clear your body can properly metabolise it.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 167 (view)

2/3d's US overweight or obese????
Posted: 8/8/2012 9:12:51 AM
The Heinz ketchup sold in Canada is made without HFCS.

That being said, Fructose is fructose, whether from honey, agave, or HFCS. The problem is that fructose is metabolized differently that glucose. The sugar industry has made several efforts to convince us that evaporated cane juice or "unrefined" sugars are better for us. Fact is a donut made from scratch *might* be healthier, but really, it still provides little nutritional benefit, and lots of detriment. Grains and sugars don't help a diet out at all.

"Healthy fats" is debatable, as many of us don't see saturated fat as unhealthy, but consider corn and soybean oils incredibly unhealthy.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 16 (view)

What's a suitable pet for a 5 yr. old child other than dogs or cats?
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:23:31 AM
I don't understand all the pet hating. Yes- pets are living things, and many people anthropomorphize them. Hugging a teddy bear and telling it how sad you are, isn't as therapeutic most of the time as an animal that will nuzzle or snuggle you. When kids don't feel like they can trust a person, they can trust an animal. Also, being responsible for something that is dependent on you, can give a kid greater self esteem.

That being said, I'd probably suggest a rabbit. The only problem with them is they only last about 5 years. I have had friends who have rats and love them, but I think their life expectancy is shorter than rabbits. Guinea pigs are also pretty cute.

Animals that are returned because kids are bored are usually the result of irresponsible parents.
 belle requin
Msg: 14 (view)

Sloppiness - lack of motivation
Posted: 8/5/2012 1:00:22 PM
Well either you take care of yourself for yourself, or you do it for other people. The question becomes then why would you put in the effort for someone else but not yourself?

I'm single- it means I shave every 3-4 days instead of every other day. My legs will always look great, but unless someone is going to touch them, they don't needs to be perfectly silky. I still do make-up and hair when going out because it matters to me- I don't care if others like it or not.

That being said, I was 25 when I started battling depression- turns out it was caused by an undiagnosed wheat allergy, and life has been peachy since I cut out wheat.
 Belle Requin

Want to firm up.
Posted: 8/2/2012 7:51:49 PM
You only firm up by doing strength training, and best when supplemented with adequate protein intake.

If you don't want to do weight benches, you'll still have to do body weight exercises- sit ups, planks, squats, pushups, dips, etc.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 33 (view)

manly vs. unmanly foods
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:43:19 AM
What you have to do is slather a banana with nutella.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 7 (view)

Exercising and Juicing?
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:38:27 AM
And juicing for 30 days will get you how much protein? So sure, you'll lose weight, but if you're exercising and not giving it protein, you will be losing muscle mass. The ideal goal is not to lose weight but to lose fat. Juicing is lots of carbs, no fibre. Sure- lots of micronutrients, but severely lacking in the fat & protein macros. Your body doesn't need carbs- it can make them from protein. Your body does need fat.

Short term it might help. But it defies logic to suggest the healthiest way to 'eat' is to use a machine to take liquids out of vegetables and only drink that for sustenance. Soooooooooo not natural.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 24 (view)

manly vs. unmanly foods
Posted: 7/22/2012 1:16:13 PM
I think it's from the stereo type that women need to watch their weight, but men don't. And once upon a time, that seemed more the case, but nowadays, excess weight isn't so gender defined- but the stereotypes still exist.

I prefer a guy who eats healthy. I do prefer the archetypical alpha male in general, but I'd still rather he eat healthy. (What can I say, I don't consider squishy men to be alpha males).
 Belle Requin

STEVIA
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:17:20 AM
Sugar provides bulk in recipes that stevia does not. You cant just sub one for the other. Most people then use a combination of stevia, erythritol or xylitol and or inulin. I don't use sugar or honey in my baking at all anymore, though I occasionally use honey in sauces.
 Belle Requin

Quinoa Muffins (Best protein muffins)!
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:33:30 PM
Where do you get 18% protein from? Most sites seem to peg it at about 12-14%. So in your first recipe, with about 24g of protein in your cup of quinoa, that's 2g of protein per muffin (miniscule bit more from one egg and the milk). That's not much. However, you'll have about 37 carbs from the quinoa, sugar, and flour- not even including the raisins. 18 times more carbs than protein. I wouldn't call it a 'protein muffin' in those circumstances.

You get more protein and more fiber from using a cup of almond flour. When I make 'muffins' they're a little more like biscuits. Egg white, protein powder, coconut flour, and almond flour with some baking powder, butter and either a little xylitol or salt, depending on what I want them to go with. That is a protein muffin.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 14 (view)

Best low fat/low sugar protein bars?
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:22:06 PM
Add an extra egg white? So add 4 grams of protein to a recipe for how many bars? I'm not saying it's a bad recipe, but as lots of people don't bother paying attention to the nutritional breakdown of their foods, I just thought I'd point out it's not that high in protein- esp when the original thread topic was high protein bars.

If I wanted to add protein I'd add a scoop of whey isolate. But I wouldn't eat the bars as they don't fall in line with my dietary preferences- grain, gluten, and sugar free wherever possible.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2012 7:51:42 PM

Flax Squares.

They might be bars, but they're not that high in protein.
 Belle Requin

Posted: 7/17/2012 3:18:32 PM
why do you want high protein and low sugar/fat? Protein isn't really used efficiently for exercise- either you're a fat burner or a carb burner. If you just want a 'protein boost' add more protein to a shake or add an extra shake, or just eat a little more meat.

The purpose of bars is carry and go and some shelf life- the kind of thing you keep when life throws you something unexpected. I'd agree with those who say there's no need for them.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 25 (view)

You know my name, not my story. So don't judge me.
Posted: 7/16/2012 5:40:39 PM
Judge your actions or your worth? They're two different things. People are absolutely entitled to judge your actions. If you want to live your life as a victim as opposed to a survivor, then people are entitled to judge you for it.

Now, I tend to live my life under the belief 'There but for the grace of God go I'. I don't for a moment think I have my career or life because I worked so much harder than everyone else, or that I'm so much better than everyone else. My parents set me on a great track in life, and if they'd been drunken junkie abusers like many of my clients' parents, I would not be where I am in my life. I'm grateful I was not born an aboriginal woman in Oxford House MB or Shamattawa MB.

I advocate for my clients when they're arrested. I plead for mercy because of the lives they've lived. But I still judge them. They still did wrong. Actions do not define worth in my world.

People are allowed to make judgments. It's just a question of how harshly they will judge. And it's a question of how much you care how they judge. AND- if you're not willing to advocate for yourself when you do care about their judgment, then that's on you.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 24 (view)

Amazing Black Bean Brownies!
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:53:07 PM
I normally hate beans, but I have made a chocolate bean cake, and I got to admit, it was pretty darn good.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 38 (view)

Brownies.. Low Carb, High Protein, Low Gluten, Low Cal... Delicious
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:49:04 PM
75% less carby?? What in the world are you talking about? 1 oz agave nectar tends to have 21g sugar, 1 oz honey tends to have 23g. Agave is considered to have a lower glycemic index because it's more fructose than glucose, so it's processed by the liver, instead of via insulin in the blood. The insulin response is less, but there's lot of research suggesting that in fact excess fructose consumption leads to insulin resistance. Some make the argument that enzymatically raw agave nectar is better and different than HFCS, but the fact is, they are both high fructose sweeteners, with none of the fiber common with natural fructose intake.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1892841,00.html
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/5/
 Belle Requin

Best one and why
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:37:19 PM
I do love Shaun of the dead- but I also loved Fido. Zombieland also quite great. I admit to preferring the mainstream as opposed to independent zombie movies. And I do love Walking Dead. Wasn't a big fan of The Crazies, even if I love Olyphant.
 Belle Requin

Cheese Cake - scratch made
Posted: 7/3/2012 6:24:52 PM
My no-bake cheesecake doesn't use cool-whip; it uses whipped cream and gelatin. I don't think it's any sweeter than a baked- especially as I use the same amount of sugar in either. It's fluffy and whipped, but not ultra-light.

And I certainly consider it a real cheesecake, as the ingredients are pretty close to what a baked cheesecake has. The only think I add is the gelatin.

Hmmm... maybe I should make a chocolate no bake one tonight...
 Belle Requin

Health risks in men over 40.
Posted: 7/3/2012 6:12:22 PM
I really don't think it applies to just the previous generations.

Men may take more care in their appearance, but I don't necessarily think they take more care about their health. They assume if they 'look' healthy, then they are. I'm one of those people who think that food quality is inherently less than what it used to be, and I don't know a lot of men who cook from scratch. Some do- but most of the guys who I've known who like cooking, still don't cook from scratch.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 60 (view)

Face-eating zombies!!
Posted: 6/27/2012 7:10:25 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/medical-examiner-only-marijuana-found-in-system-of-florida-man-in-face-chewing-attack-160587195.html Seems the only xenobiotics found in his system was marijuana.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 22 (view)

Collections
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:27:41 PM
I have a shoe collection. But I have less than 100 pair, wear them to work, and unlike many women, don't have 6 pairs of the almost same black shoes... Though I might have 6 different shades of red... I love them, so they definitely make me happy. And they've made some of the guys I've dated happy, but that's a whole different story...
 Belle Requin

HOT DOGS, CONEYS, FOOTLONGS AND SAUSAGES
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:22:59 PM
I liked the cheap generic wieners with ketchup and mustard, with a white bun- toasted or not. Can't eat either now (wheat and corn allergy). But- that's what my dad made us when we went home for lunch in elementary school- so it always brings me back to that happy place. Once in a while now I just grill Schnieder's Country Natural weiners, eat them with a fork, and dip them in a mustard/ketchup combo. Making low carb gluten free hot dog buns is just so much work...
 Belle Requin
Msg: 9 (view)

What no deviled eggs thread?
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:16:59 PM
I don't like devilled eggs!! Which I've always found a little odd, as I love hard boiled eggs, and I love mayo- but I cannot stomach them together as well. Nor have I ever had an egg salad that I've enjoyed.
 Belle Requin

Grimm
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:51:45 PM
Fringe was great, but I haven't bothered finishing this season because it was so lame.

I want Munroe to officially be a thing with the chick running the store. That's so adorable. I actually think Munroe is one of the best characters, and Silas one of the best actors on the show.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not really missing it.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 26 (view)

Carbohydrates and Protiens Dieting
Posted: 6/18/2012 2:13:11 PM

When meat is the cause of 78% of the deaths in america. I mean it is a great way to gain some fat and muscle quick but its not healthy at all. Im allergic to dairy, glutton, and dyes in meat.
And you lose all credibility with such an absurd suggestions that meat causes 78% of the deaths in America.

Allergic to glutton?? Who can possibly be allergic to a glutton? Unless you mean gluten. If you can't even spell it properly, I can't imagine you avoiding it. You said you eat Sunchips. Sunchips aren't gluten free. And *only* the original brand are dairy free.

I have no problem gaining muscle or fat.
But apparently you have a big problem keeping your facts straight.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 35 (view)

Work rant about rich cheapskates.....
Posted: 6/17/2012 10:13:17 AM
They get a credit for bringing in a bag, so yes, they are entitled to that 10 cents for bringing in their bag. That is the store policy, right?

I agree with the others who have said they'd rather donate to charities of their choosing. There's many many charities out there that do not support what I want to support. Even if it's only 10 cents, I'm not going to support them. And if I brought my own bag into the store so that I can get 10 cents, then that arguably frees up the 10 cents in my wallet for me to give to the charity of my choosing.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 17 (view)

Posted: 6/17/2012 9:49:25 AM
Eating fat does not make you fat.
 Belle Requin

WHO ELSE loves their Gerorge Foreman grill ... ??
Posted: 6/15/2012 4:19:20 PM

I did a time-check TONITE ....doing a ribeye steak ... 4 minutes 20 seconds ..
Are you saying it took 4:20 to cook the steak or heat the grill? In 4:20, my really big bbq gets to be 480 degrees. Up to 500 degrees in less than 5 min.

And the taste of an electric grill will never compare to the taste of a grill with fire.
 Belle Requin

WHO ELSE loves their Gerorge Foreman grill ... ??
Posted: 6/13/2012 7:04:22 PM
Nope, I use my bbq way more. Easier to clean. As it's propane, it takes as much time to heat as a foreman grill. And I've always considered it better flavour on the bbq too.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 23 (view)

An inductive exercise...
Posted: 6/9/2012 1:21:51 PM

Premise 5: Pictures convey only physical information.
Not true. When all five pics of a guy involve him holding a beer, that's a clear message either his lifestyle or intelligence aren't for me. (It's not that beer drinkers are dumb- but if you don't think that all 5 pics holding a beer might send the wrong message, your forethought capabilities are less than what I desire).

Profiles convey a lot of meaning. It should be your effort to put forth a good first impression. But, many people don't bother- somehow thinking they won't be judged on their profile, and that people will take the time to get to know them first. Does my profile kinda suggest I might be a b*tch? Probably- but I think it's important for a guy to know up front I'm not some docile lovey dovey darling.

And I don't think a disinterest in dating 90% of the population makes you a sociopath. It could just mean that you a) have a strong sense of self awareness, b) think 'love' ins't enough and are looking for true compatibility, and c) make judgments based upon the information people put on their profiles- both in text and picture. Seems quite rational to me.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 144 (view)

How do you define Athletic?
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:05:34 AM
That is what people are arguing about, but not what the thread was supposed to be about.

The question was how does one define 'athletic' *in relation to the body selection options on POF profiles*.

A person could easily have a body that suggests they are an athlete when they are not at all. And someone can be an athlete, but not have a body that would suggest it. Athleticism is NOT the same, nor a guarantee of having an 'athletic looking' body.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 15 (view)

lets create a menu
Posted: 6/5/2012 4:44:43 PM
Roasted Cauliflower Soup

1 head of cauliflower
3 large shallots
6 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery
1/2 tsp *smoked* paprika
1 cup white wine (I usually use pinot grigio)
1 litre chicken stock
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
2 egg yolks
3/4 c cream
lemon juice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
grape seed oil
2 bay leaves

In stock pot, combine stock and white wine and 2 bay leaves, cayenne, and paprika. Simmer while you work on the rest of the soup.

Cut the cauliflower into small florets. Cut the shallots, celery, and garlic fine. Toss in a bowl with pepper, (to taste), a sprinkling of lemon juice and a little bit of oil. Spread in a parchment lined deep dish and roast in oven at 400 oven, until cauliflower is browned (25-35 min).

put aside two ladelfuls of broth in a bowl. Then put two different ladlefuls of broth in blender with half the veggies. Puree, and dump back in pot. Add the other ladelfuls and the remainder of the veggies to the blender and puree. Dump back in pot.

In the bowl you had the broth in, beat the two eggs with the cream. Add a ladle of soup to it and whisk it. Then add to pot and continue stirring. Then add cheese in batches so it melts.

You can add some ham or some bacon, and or sprinkle paprika over top before serving.
 Belle Requin

Roasted Red Bell Peppers Accompaniment
Posted: 6/3/2012 8:14:40 PM
I make mini-quiche (pour mix into silicone muffin cups and bake) with chicken, roasted red peppers, basil, and parmesan. I also like adding them to pasta salad with asiago and a balsamic vinaigrette. They also mix well with cream cheese, garlic, tarragon and pepper for a veggie dip. You can also blend them with tomatoes for making tomato soup.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 11 (view)

Posted: 6/1/2012 11:19:58 AM
The average human body has no need for dietary carbohydrate. Gluconeogenesis. If you don't know what that is, then you shouldn't be making assertions that are patently false.

Few people advocate an all protein diet. There are 'zero carb' people out there, many of whom do just fine. Most 'low carbers' though still have carbs, they just prefer to get them from low carb veggies- the ones that tend to be the healthiest and offer the most nutritional benefit with the least amount of calories. The ample research that 'high protein diets' cause kidney damage is a diet that is higher than 30% protein, and neither South Beach nor Atkins advocate higher than 30% protein. (Atkins is in fact a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet over all.)

Cutting out carbs and dropping quick weight isn't dangerous. You're simply depleting your glycogen stores, and glycogen and water snuggle up- so you lose glycogen, you lose water weight, and a lot of bloat.

Some people do better with more carbs less animal protein, some do better with more animal, less carb. It is NOT excess fat in the diet or on the body that causes diabetes- it is excess carbohydrate intake causing repeated surges of insulin. If your genetics are predisposed to diabetes (such as mine) a low carb diet is your best bet, and there is NOTHING unhealthy about it if done properly with a variety of vegetables.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 18 (view)

baked cabbage and cheese....[a request from rokei
Posted: 5/28/2012 2:48:45 PM
shredded american cheese? What is that? I've always considered 'american cheese' to refer to the processed fake stuff one finds on a burger- and I can't imagine shredding it.
 Belle Requin

Nissan takes tire Inflation to a whole new level
Posted: 5/26/2012 11:41:23 PM
helped a lady on the side of the road this weekend- her pontiac G6 had a menu that let her check her tire pressure on each tire. Not sure if it warned her about low pressure, but certainly had all the info there.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 26 (view)

What is your Fav tool in the Kichen?
Posted: 5/24/2012 5:21:18 PM
I've got to agree with dishwasher. Every time I cook, there seems to be a big mess when I'm done...

Show ALL Forums