Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Let's party like it's 1999! in Chattanooga Jan 28 8pm
 Feally
Msg: 22 (view)

Let's party like it's 1999! in Chattanooga Jan 28 8pm
Posted: 1/25/2012 4:32:36 PM
I may show up with at least 2 other friends. I am trying to get others to come as well, but sometimes people have been known to change their mind at the last possible second (myself included :-)
 Feally
Msg: 15 (view)

I told my Ex that I missed him and he kept replying with text me - what does this mean?
Posted: 1/15/2012 5:20:30 PM

Never get into a serious relationship before age 25. You're just wasting time and making life too dramatic. You don't need that nonsense.

I agree with this completely. Part of it is that most people's brains are not fully developed until their late twenties, so they are not capable of dealing with a lot of issues that relationships bring.

With that being said, there are many who get married before the age 25. I have seen it work, but it is extremely rare and I only know of 2 families in all my friends' circles that have done this. Most are single or in some sort of relationship.
 Feally
Msg: 162 (view)

Is hair style a package deal on a woman?
Posted: 1/15/2012 5:12:23 PM
A woman's hair is a tricky subject and I would be very careful what words I would choose when answering a question such as "How does my hair look?". If you are really unhappy with her hairstyle, you can say something like "I think it looks great but it can look even better if you tried ". And just leave it at that. If you she is into you, it is likely that she will make some changes the next time you two meet. The point is to let her decide and not to be demanding that she changes her hairstyle.
 Feally
Msg: 65 (view)

Tarnished women
Posted: 1/15/2012 4:21:29 PM
I think women can be tarnished in the same was as man can be, although I would say that their bodies react in a different way to it. Women in general are more protective of their feelings, and may put up additional walls, because they have a natural sense of protection that is part of being the sex that happens to carry an offspring. Once women open their gates to someone and for whatever reason things do not work out, it triggers self defense mechanisms that are even tougher for the next guy that attempts to pursue her. But I think that is a good thing, since it is more likely for her to get together with a quality guy in the long run, one who is willing to do more work/compromise/sacrifice and not just leave her at the slightest bump in their relationship.
 Feally
Msg: 8 (view)

friend or lover
Posted: 1/14/2012 7:42:46 PM

Take it slow and spend some time, good grief!!!!

Slow and steady wins the race? At least, that is what the turtle did!
 Feally
Msg: 25 (view)

How would you react if you were on a date, he picked you up and then took you somewhere and left you
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:49:35 PM

Old school dating meant you always had enough cab fare for a ride home.
Just in case.
Old old school dating meant you didn't go out with strangers. They had to be someone who knew someone you knew. Or you went out in a group.

Old old old school dating meant you clubbed the woman over the head and dragged her to your cave. Then you went out and killed a mammoth, cooked it in a giant pot and served it to her as breakfast in the morning. If she chose to eat it, she was yours forever. Or at least until another man clubbed you over the head, and dragged her to his cave...

Sorry, I was in a good mood and felt like making a joke :-)
 Feally
Msg: 14 (view)

One way conversations?
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:41:13 PM
When I read the title, I thought of something very different, which actually happened to me.

I was sent a message by a women about a week ago, and as it was around New Years, I was not online to check, much less respond to any PoF messages. Then I received another message from her, which quoted the original message (complete with RE:), and then actually had an answer to her questions. The answers were not in the style that I would have responded to, which puzzled me for a bit, since I am sure I never responded, yet here she was responding to something I never wrote.

So I sent her a message, explaining her that, and she said she did not write that herself, but when I pointed out that I could not have sent it due to holidays, I have no record of a response and that it was not my style, she immediately changed her photo to nothing.

A few days later she had a new photo.

I thought that it was a clever way to get someone to respond, by pretending to have a one way conversation with them, literally!
 Feally
Msg: 11 (view)

Is it time to hang up the fishing rod??
Posted: 1/11/2012 4:33:03 PM
Well, I would say that you should use PoF as a complement to your regular dating. That way, you do not really have to focus entirely here and be disappointed if things do not work out.

To be honest with you, of the 10 or so women I was interested in, 8 turned out to be inactive (at least I have never seen them log on) and the other 2 never responded to me.

However, I enjoy coming here to the forums, so I do that most of the time and do not even worry about trying to actually "catch any fish". Then once in a while I do a search but it is usually just more of the same.

I also used match.com and had a similar issue, where the women I was most interested in were not even active.
 Feally
Msg: 59 (view)

Please help me better myself....
Posted: 1/9/2012 3:23:10 PM

I'm so glad I joined POF ... not for the dating (which I'm losing faith in myself, real world and online .... a long boring story) but for the science/philosophy forum.

It is funny that you should mention that because I easily spend just about all my time on the forums. After I discovered that the women I messaged are inactive (except for 2 who did not respond), I do not need more than 5 minutes a week to scan for new members that may be interesting. So I might as well hit the forums and have a little fun :-)

Anyways, if you care about bettering yourself, I would say hanging out at bookstores may be effective, not because of the literature there but because of conversations you may have with strangers who are there for the same reason you are.
 Feally
Msg: 5 (view)

Why so serious ?
Posted: 1/9/2012 3:05:41 PM

If anything, I found dating got easier as I got older.

Yep, I would agree with you there. I think you are better able to communicate, verbally and through body language, as you get older. That really helps with flirting since it is someone that happens at the initial stages of any relationship. In addition, small things that may have bothered you when you were younger are something that do not even stay in your mind for more than few seconds as you get older. You are able to let go of trifles and focus on the larger picture.
 Feally
Msg: 18 (view)

Would like some feedback on this...........
Posted: 1/9/2012 2:38:59 PM
Can anyone tell me what might have brought this conversation on?

I would say that this was the reason:
so we went to a nearby bar
coupled with this
He had a couple of beers. And this is where it started getting weird.

Bars are places where people often let themselves loose, especially after some alcohol is in their system. People say things they would not normally say. But it can also be an effective strategy for a first date, since you can get a good impression of someone based on how they behaved in that bar.

If he had only had 1 or 2 beers, and gotten tipsy but not too much over then it would show you he has a certain level of self control. It would show you that he is also experienced enough to know the effect the alcohol has on people and not allow himself to be in a position where he is acting like a under sexed high school student. A first date is no place to get drunk to the point of talking about sex openly as if you have been dating someone for months.

And should I just forget dating him or give him another chance?
Only if you really really like him and see a future with him should you give him a 2nd chance.
 Feally
Msg: 326 (view)

judging a book by its cover
Posted: 1/8/2012 6:03:50 PM
Well, your eyes convey the most information, as they are our strongest sensory organ. As others have said, touch, smell and sound are secondary, but also useful in the selection of a mate. Ironically, despite what people mark down as personality preferences, if you look at couples that have been successfully married for a while, you will find that most of them have similar appearance and behavior, they are more alike than not. Sure, there are some exceptions, but for the most part, people enjoy spending the rest of their lives with others similar to them.

So to answer your original question, since you do not know much about a total stranger at first, you have to rely on your visual senses to get accurate information at first. Others can tell you what they might be like, but in the end, you make that decision based on information you have gathered using your eyes, nose, ears and hands. And since I mentioned that our strongest sensor is the eye, then your appearance matters the most, at least initially.

Men especially are quite acute at making choices based on appearances, as from a genetic perspective, they wish to select a mate who has the highest chance of passing their genes through generations. Usually, the prettier the woman, the higher quality genes she will be carrying, so there will be a higher chance for a successful reproduction (assuming that is the end goal of a relationship).

Now, keep in mind that this viewpoint is from a biological perspective and one that promotes evolution and considers how it has been developing over centuries of human mate selection.

Those are my thoughts on it anyways, based on various discussions I have had with friends, books I have read and direct observations of couples.
 Feally
Msg: 61 (view)

No drink=No chance
Posted: 1/8/2012 5:36:32 PM
Being a graduate student should present to you a lot of opportunities to meet all types of women. At least that was the case with me and some of my best relationships stemmed out of those years. Unfortunately, I was too selective and did not pursue any of the opportunities.

Anyways, I am a social drinker, which is a good thing since it allows you to relax and enjoy in other people's company. So if you think you are at a disadvantage, I would say hang out more with other people and it will naturally turn you into a social drinker little by little.

It is one of those things you grow into so I wouldn't push it but just let it take its natural course. I do not think that being a non drinker is holding you back, but I think you will have more options if you start having a few drinks once in a while.
 Feally

Go ahead; I'm bullet proof
Posted: 1/7/2012 3:04:48 PM
The restaurant photo is a good one, so I think you should use that instead of the one with you on a boat looking mysterious. I had to look twice because honestly, with that hat and from that angle, you could pass as a female with a funky hair style.
 Feally
Msg: 21 (view)

Why don't girls talk to you after you hang out with them?
Posted: 1/7/2012 8:11:02 AM
It could also be a starting low interest level. You do not need much interest in someone to talk to them via online messages. But once you meet in person, the stakes become a little higher. Then you realize you are not really into that person and so naturally, you do not bother trying to contact them again. What little interest you had in them faded away completely...

That is my take on the situation at least :-)
 Feally
Msg: 20 (view)

Just Me...Or are men becoming more Passive?
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:51:59 AM
Does the good author state if it matters who's carrying this masucline and feminine "energy"????

Would be good to know what specific book of David Deida she was referring to before we could analyze that further. I did not interpret it as someone carrying it, but more that it has to exist in some from on either side. Perhaps the more the male/female energies balance each other, the healthier and more fulfilling the relationship would be? Sounds similar to a lot of enlightenment teachings.
 Feally

Date ideas for second date?
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:39:59 AM
If I were you, I would read over his profile again and see what his interests are. Then I would try to plan something around one of them, the one where you feel most comfortable at least!
 Feally
Msg: 105 (view)

Cop Issues Speeding Ticket, Asks Driver for a Date and She Sues Him
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:35:27 AM
Regarding the database use, could they not just check the logs that are created automatically when he would have logged into the system and done a search? Usually, things like that are easily tracked and you can get time stamps for when he actually searched (assuming he did) and what he searched for.

That part to me would seem easy to prove in court at least, since we are talking about a police database that it usually well monitored, updated and secured, as well as holding credibility in a court of law.
 Feally
Msg: 181 (view)

Is there really UNCONDITIONAL love?
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:27:52 AM
Unconditional love?

Did anyone mention the arguably unconditional love a mother has towards her child (edit: I noticed YpsiJoe did)?

And the word love itself actually has many definitions. In fact the Greeks had several words that all described love, but were substantially different.
 Feally

Just Me...Or are men becoming more Passive?
Posted: 1/7/2012 6:22:40 AM
Some great points out there worth reading through!

I would like to add that passivity is relative to the two people involved. If you have a super shy person for example, even the slightest of actions could be considered too aggressive. On the other hand, if you have someone who is semi aggressive themselves, then it would take a guy who is very aggressive to register on their radar. A guy who is actually normal in his actions would appear to be passive, since he is being judged by a person expecting more.

With that being said, I am far more comfortable being the pursuer in a relationship and in fact often can be over aggressive at times. I seem to cross the line from persistent to pushy sometimes, even if not by much. It is one thin line for sure!

I do not mean to be over aggressive, but it just happens. My intentions were definitely good but they came off the wrong way at perhaps the wrong time as well. But either way, if I am interested in someone truly, I will definitely show it somehow and it will hardly register as passive with just about anyone.

But since this balance point varies from person to person, getting it just right is not easy. I will get it right someday :-)
 Feally

Review please
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:32:27 PM
You should add more details about yourself, as it appears that you have a lot to offer but are perhaps holding it back. That should increase the odds of someone being curious and sending you a message with questions.

Other than that, it looks like a solid profile.
 Feally
Msg: 27 (view)

A man looking for a womans opinion...guys you can respond too.
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:21:09 PM
Your main profile still starts out with a block of text, which as someone mentioned earlier could discourage readers. I would say if you can not condense it, just break it up into paragraphs. Around 4-6 sentences each could be a good size for a paragraph. Just avoid the blob of text at all costs!
 Feally
Msg: 3 (view)

Give it to me strait
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:14:58 PM
I would fix the grammar mistakes and perhaps break it up into paragraphs. A lot of people might be discouraged from reading your entire profile because it feels like a block of text.
 Feally
Msg: 40 (view)

Do you get nervous on your first dates?
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:01:41 PM
I could be a little nervous, but it really depends on my initial interest level. I am usually nervous around women I really like. I also tend to over-worry about making a good impression. However, there is a part of me that is used to being a little nervous, since that is a sign that I truly like that particular woman If I did not feel that at all, then I probably would not make an effort to get to know her better.

Long story short: A little nervousness is perfectly fine if you are interested in the person.
 Feally
Msg: 32 (view)

3 days? How about 24hrs???
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:56:00 PM
Well, I prefer to follow the instant attraction rule.

If you do not instantly message me after I have tried to contact you, I will block you from all my contacts and assume you are not interested :-)

All right, jokes aside, I think that having a three day rule is really unnecessary, but at the same time, expecting a response within a reasonable amount of time, say a week or two is more reasonable.

Sometimes, life can get pretty hectic and people can get overloaded with events. Three days is simply too short of a time span to allow you to judge the interest level if a guy or gal that you fancy. Plus, if someone has feelings for you or a connection has been formed, 3 days should not make it fade away. If they do, then it was not a connection worth having and building upon in the first place.
 Feally
Msg: 9 (view)

going to the bathroom three times on a meet
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:43:48 PM
I would not think much of it, considering it is 3 times during a 2 and a half hour period. There may have been another reason but only the guy will know for sure as to what that reason was. You can ask him politely about it, if you really desire to know. There is no guarantee that he will answer but if he is a great guy, he will find the words to let you know about what were his thoughts about the meeting.
 Feally
Msg: 25 (view)

Lack of commitment
Posted: 1/5/2012 6:29:59 PM
Speaking of flowers, here is a nice website that lists what each color means: http://www.teleflora.com/flowercolors.asp
 Feally
Msg: 74 (view)

First Message -Original, or Cut & Paste?
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:30:04 PM

So, if I don't put as much effort into it, I won't be as disappointed when I don't get responses. So you can go ahead and tell me to grow a thicker skin if you want. Everything I've read on the site says to keep trying and don't get bent out of shape about rejection, but the fact is that the more effort you put into something, the more it is going to hurt when that effort fails.

You are right about it hurting more when you try harder. But each time you are hurt, you develop a tolerance for it, so the next one should not hurt as much. And if you think about it, your rejection is really in the form of no response at all. That should not even daze you one bit.

If it was face to face, in front of a lot of people, then I could see it as truly hurtful.
 Feally
Msg: 71 (view)

Horrible experience!
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:17:55 PM

Too bad there's not a rating system for people, eh?

They should add that in. I think it will be a welcomed and very useful feature.
 Feally
Msg: 52 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2012 5:13:24 PM

For the record, the legal definition of stalking is: "A person who intentionally and repeatedly follows or harasses another person and who makes a credible threat, either expressed or implied, with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm is guilty of the crime of stalking."

I am glad you mentioned the definition of stalking because apparently, I did not know that it included a portion about harm. In my mind, stalking was merely following someone, without their knowledge or approval, but not necessarily intending to harm them physically or otherwise.

I guess you learn something new everyday :-)
 Feally
Msg: 13 (view)

Is it guilt- or what???
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:55:49 PM

It depends on the context. If he's having a conversation with a mutual friend and your name comes up, it's reasonable to ask how you are, whether he really cares how you are--or not.

Yes, this is what has happened to me IRL Her name came up during a conversation and I naturally inquired how she was doing. I asked nothing more, it was just that simple.

I did not intend for it to be anything more than just an innocent question, since it naturally flowed into the conversation. It is possible that the guy in question acted in the same manner.
 Feally
Msg: 21 (view)

Lack of commitment
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:40:03 PM
Yes, I agree with the general consensus that perhaps you threaded too quickly, by sending the flowers to her.

It's sort of a balancing act between showing interest and showing you're your own man, with other fish to fry. The hard part for a guy is knowing where that balance point is, because it's never the same for each girl he meets. And you can always warm up the interest for a while, but then pull back a little.

Very well stated and worth quoting. I am still working on this myself and it is not an easy thing to master.
 Feally
Msg: 72 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2012 4:23:15 PM

Most of the women on POF do not post in the forums and are in turn very different from those that do. Therefore, this is not necessarily true.

To be fair, she did say:

So far, all that's been determined in this thread is that the vast majority of women on here

on here -> implying that she meant women that posted in this very thread.

But otherwise, you would be correct if she meant it as all women on POF in general, which I do not think she did.
 Feally
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2012 4:19:51 PM

Obviously none of you “if he was cute she’d be having dinner with him” folks have ever been stalked by an attractive man. It’s just as, if not more scary when he is attractive because nobody believes that 1. he’d do it or “need” to do it, and 2. that you would mind if he stalked you. (sound familiar?)

I'd like to add another option:

3. An attractive stalker may stir feelings of sexual tension in addition to feelings of fear, which would make the woman even more confused/petrified than if the guy was just an average Joe...

This case makes me wonder what the situation may have been if the roles were reversed, and it was a female police officer that sent the note to the guy asking him out...
 Feally
Msg: 24 (view)

E-mail versus IM
Posted: 1/5/2012 3:21:46 PM
If I was interested in someone, I would communicate in whichever way I could. If she had a preference for a specific form of communication, I would focus on using that more often.

In today's age, with smart phones that have direct internet access and messengers, there is just no reason not to be as flexible as possible.

With that being said, I do think e-mails are a little more formal than IMs, which seem to me more like casual chats. Both can be used effectively to communicate but it could be that I am comfortable with them because I have been using them for a really long time.
 Feally
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 1/5/2012 3:12:39 PM
It seems that police officer was really infatuated with her, if he was to search through the database and find her living address. I think that is the issue here, this woman was startled that a total stranger would leave a note on her car and ask her out.

The issue seems to be quite typical actually, even if the situation occurred over a speeding ticket, and involved a police officer.

Guy likes girl and makes the only effort he can to ask her out. His emotions get in the way of his reasoning and what is proper or not. Girl is frightened by the guy's sudden attention and his rather forward invitation to dinner. Girl acts as defensively as possible as she is afraid of the actions of a total stranger.

I just wish that he would have told his friends about his "plan" so that they would discourage him from going through with it, but it is too late for that :-)
 Feally
Msg: 9 (view)

The dreaded WHYYYYYY question
Posted: 1/5/2012 2:53:04 PM
This topic reminds me of a cartoon I saw some time ago, that posed the same question:

Person A: "Why won't you go out with me?"
Person B: "Because you are... you."
 Feally
Msg: 31 (view)

online dating: pay sites vs free sites
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:11:00 PM
Igorfrankensteen : So-called Real Life is no different. If you seek a mate in bars, you'll find a higher than otherwise percentage of people who like to drink for entertainment. Look in vacation spots, and you'll find a higher number of scam artists and gold-diggers. Look in expensive nightclubs, and find more people for whom money is more important than character.

That is certainly well said and true. However, another perspective is that if you go to places where you generally enjoy going, you have a higher chance of meeting someone who is like minded. For example, if you go to vacation spots, you may enjoy the beach and warm weather, so it is more likely for you to meet someone who is the same way.

But in general I agree with you - it is extremely difficult to find the right partner. Now when I hear a couple say "We were lucky to meet each other...", I know exactly what they mean :-)
 Feally
Msg: 80 (view)

Says you're attractive, but doesn't want to sleep with you
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:52:17 PM

Great. So if a guy tries to sleep with a woman on date 1, he's a pig and she's sometimes so traumatized she gives up on online dating after that (as we've probably all read or heard about). Now it seems, if you don't try to screw her, she's insulted because she thinks you aren't into her. Nice.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

This made me smile. Well said :-)
 Feally
Msg: 98 (view)

Got Stood Up Tonight!
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:25:24 PM
Sorry to hear about you being stood up. That was definitely not a pleasant experience for you, regardless of what really happened.

I couple of things came to my mind, as I was reading through the responses.

The first one is that you responded to a guy, who was showing off with several women and a "clever" caption. If I were to reverse the situation, and see a photo of a woman with 3 guys and a caption that read "This is not average, Gents!", I would definitely not get a good impression from that woman and would most likely not try to communicate with her. Especially if the women had large assets as you mentioned, that is not something a gentleman would emphasize.

Secondly, as people pointed out earlier, why didn't you call him on the cell phone? Or did you call but nobody answered? If that was the case, then it may be that he simply either arrived, saw you and decided to bail or never was there in the first place. He should have remembered your date hour (again, that is what gentlemen do) and would have apologized if there was any mistakes on his part.

That is assuming he was interested in you, but it is also possible that he may have led you on the entire time. He should contact you again if he truly was interested and offer an explanation of some sort. If you do not hear from him or it seems like a generic excuse, then you can just let it go and move forward.

As the web site kindly reminds you, there are plenty of fish :-)
 Feally
Msg: 62 (view)

Posted: 1/4/2012 3:05:16 PM
I am new at online dating, but have sent a few messages over the course of a week. Those were sent to women that I am not just interested in from their photos but also if they have a well written profile. As a result, my messages usually end with a question about something in their profile or asking them to explain a specific photo.

In fact, I remember a few occasions where I liked her profile photo but her profile was very uninspired and it appeared as if she took a few minutes to just "put something up".

So to answer your question, I would say original as it shows that you took the effort to read their profile and gives you a chance to show a little of your personality via the writing style of that message.
 Feally
Msg: 13 (view)

Standards in schooling
Posted: 1/4/2012 2:22:50 AM
Well, I think a lot of it depends on how much people value education. Some may think it is a necessary part of someone's life, where they need to be well educated in order to achieve happiness. Others, may feel that it is wasted time and that you could be better off doing something else with your life during that time.

I happen to be part of the group of people who think that it is important, which is why I have pursued and obtained the degrees that I have.

With regarding to dating, I would say that in general, most people would look for others who are on the same education level as themselves. This may allow for a higher chance of two people getting along well and being able to communicate without too much tension or confusion. It also shows that they were able to go through the program, and deal with opinions which they did not agree with, but were able to understand why the other person reasoned as they did. I feel that the best part of pursuing higher education is not just the degree that you get, but the various interactions and connections with people that you make during your journey.

It does not really have to deal with knowledge directly either but more with critical thinking, analysis, empathy, compromise and other qualities which can be refined within an educational system.
 Feally
Msg: 124 (view)

Serial texters
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:02 AM
I prefer phone conversation to a text anyday of the week. With that being said, there maybe times where texting is permissible, but that usually comes later in the relationship.

Now that I think about it, one reason why I would prefer phone talk early on is so I can hear her voice, which can tell me a lot about her just by the sound of it.

I suppose the way that I imagine online dating to work effectively would be that you exchange a few texts at the beginning of the relationship, and then you exchange phone numbers if there is mutual interest still after those texts. Then you continue to communicate via the phone and arrange a meeting/date, again if the interest continues for both sides.

Is that reasonable or am I over structuring things? :-)

Show ALL Forums