Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: sleepover but no sex
 LathaMath
Msg: 39 (view)

sleepover but no sex
Posted: 3/27/2012 4:10:11 PM
Ignore all the speculation and go with the evidence. He got a free meal and a place to sleep.

Until you wrote that bit about you telling him you were a virgin. That changes the analysis. Do us a big favour and call and ask him what he has against virgins. Then get back to us.
 LathaMath
Msg: 26 (view)

Post Meopause: Vaginal Atrophy & Hormone Replacement Therapy [HRT]
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:59:04 PM
When I was a student I had an affair with an older woman who took something extracted from pregnant mare's urine to keep up. Seemed to work. She was hot. Just one of the many weird, mysterious things women do, bless 'em.
 LathaMath
Msg: 32 (view)

What is proper online dating etiquette
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:51:59 PM
There is no proper online dating etiquette (Thanks for spelling that correctly. There is also no PoF spell checker. Seems about right.). Online dating is still pretty new. Miss Online Manners hasn't written the book yet. It would be difficult to enforce as the participants are anonymous with no recurse for bad behaviour. You do your thing and don't worry about anybody else. Quality, as they say, will always out. Good breeding shows and should attract interest from the kind of people you wish to meet. Works for me.
 LathaMath
Msg: 17 (view)

Trying to get men off the couch.
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:40:42 PM
You might want to start with your local, state, and national government agencies. They've been trying to do this for years to reduce health care costs. They have pamphlets and brochures full of sure fire ideas which don't, apparently, work. They are very well funded from your tax dollars. You think you can do better? Go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Perhaps the best way to get them off the couch is to appear buck naked on local TV. Every time the local bicycle crowd do their annual naked ride for cancer they draw a crowd and get lots of media coverage. Couch potatoes are sure to see you and you might stimulate them enough to come out to that or a wet T-shirt contest or something. Once you got them off the couch you have to have something to follow up with. Get creative. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 89 (view)

Getting hit on by married men
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:23:35 PM
From your profile ..

I can be witty and charming and talk to just about anyone, but that's not really who I am. That is just the side of me that has learned to get along with people and play the part of a good host and functional member of society.

Relax, they're not hitting on the real you. I used to get this from a GF. She would come home and boast that some guys at a construction site whistled at her. It's *your* act, darlin'.
 LathaMath
Msg: 13 (view)

Is it common for a man on a first date to come to the woman's home?
Posted: 3/27/2012 3:06:27 PM
"Your place or mine?"

For some men it's common. Free meal and drinks with extras. Best to meet in public.

For those who invite you to their place they're sure to have a friend or family member present to chaperone.
 LathaMath
Msg: 22 (view)

Anyone else have random preferences that became requirements?
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:37:16 PM
When I was a student I had a full beard and was "shacked up" with a lady friend, ie we shared room and board and bed. I shaved off the beard and she, in the heat of passion, opened her eyes and screamed. She didn't recognize me without the beard. It only took her a moment to realize her error but I couldn't stop laughing. Enjoy the beards, mountaingirl, but keep your wits about you. And I can't fathom from your profile why you have not landed your man fish yet. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 46 (view)

Becoming extremely discouraged!
Posted: 3/26/2012 5:21:54 PM
You seem to be going 'round in circles. You need to manage your dating. Have a game plan and stick to it. Start by sitting down and putting in writing what you want and what you can do to get it. There are books at the libarary on meeting men and dating. Study them. Work at improving yourself mentally and physically. Stop eating. Spend less time on hair and makeup and more time being active and having a heterosexual social life. People have suggested you are in a slump as if you don't need to change anything. You need to change your approach. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 68 (view)

Speed dating - a confidence booster or a self-esteem destroyer?
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:41:34 PM
Women can make up their minds in 5 minutes? Really? Since when?

I'm still waiting as only 4 out of 15 have updated.
I don't get it. You get 5 min exposure and how long to make up your mind? Looks like some aren't playing by the rules and keeping up their part of the bargain?

Not my cup of tea. It usually takes me more than 5 min. to work around to starting a conversation. Pretty awkward at one of those things.
 LathaMath
Msg: 45 (view)

Cancellation dates.....no shows.....
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:23:30 PM
You need to plan your dates better. You guys knew about the traffic risk. Next time don't take chances like that. Pick a place and time you won't have trouble getting to. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 6 (view)

Too old-fashioned?
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:12:07 PM
If you want to be old fashioned you think up clever ways to get a guy to ask you out on a date. If you're a strong, independent woman that sort of thing comes easy.

You don't need to write in your profile that you will not participate in certain things, because, like as not, with the right guy, you will. Men know this. Writing it in your profile does no good at all. Ignore it. If asked to participate just say "no". It's all part of getting to know someone.
 LathaMath

Shy...
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:01:25 PM
No, it's not common. Why would you think that? Does it happen often on your dates?
His excuse of shyness is inconsitent with the behaviour you describe on your date. Nervous maybe and insecure, but not shy. If he doesn't date women much then it's probably what he's used to doing, hanging out with his mates. He may have seen his mates bring their girlfriends along. I hope you tell him what you found wrong with his behaviour so he can behave more respectfully on his next date with someone.
 LathaMath
Msg: 19 (view)

I want to know if I should continue with this
Posted: 3/26/2012 9:55:47 AM
I have to disagree with the general opinion that having sex with friends leads nowhere but heartache. It's not impossible that your current liason will eventually change as you age and your situations change, however I do think your chances of "more" whatever and wherever that may be on the "relationship" continuum would be greater if you looked for it with someone who also wants the same "more" as you. Since the current squeeze does not mind you sleeping around I suggest you keep looking. If you want to be devious you could tell him you met someone and see what his reaction is. He may suddenly become possesive and want "more" from you too.
 LathaMath
Msg: 18 (view)

Posted: 3/26/2012 9:53:18 AM
I have to disagree with the general opinion that having sex with friends leads nowhere but heartache. It's not impossible that your current liason will eventually change as you age and your situations change, however I do think your chances of "more" whatever and wherever that may be on the "relationship" continuum would be greater if you looked for it with someone who also wants the same "more" as you. Since the current squeeze does not mind you sleeping around I suggest you keep looking. If you want to be devious you could tell him you met someone and see what his reaction is. He may suddenly become possesive and want "more" from you too.
 LathaMath

Posted: 3/26/2012 9:52:59 AM
 LathaMath
Msg: 48 (view)

Are paid online dating sites any different?
Posted: 3/25/2012 4:35:00 PM

I say the only way to find out, is to actually try one out and see for yourself.

Misses the point. We're here because we don't want to pay. Not because we're cheap. Because we're spiritual. That's why the question was posted here. To avoid paying to find out. We'll take less than ideal information and draw a less than perfect conclusion to save having to pay. 80% right is okay here. for partial truth.
 LathaMath
Msg: 31 (view)

Common ground
Posted: 3/25/2012 4:10:07 PM
Common ground? Yeah, right. Just like politics and economics and sharing the road, and sharing the load, and music, and noise levels, and who our daughters should be dating, and when and what jobs our sons should be doing,...

Good luck with all that. And BTW with the sex thing too.
 LathaMath
Msg: 22 (view)

Casual sex linked to depression
Posted: 3/25/2012 3:55:04 PM
Whatever else it does, it sells books.

Depression can be psychiatric (chemical) or psychological (attitude). The argument here is that it's chemical, caused by an elevation of Oxytocin. However sexual activity also releases Dopamine, the pleasure hormone, what cocaine releases. Because humans are not very fertile Mother Nature keeps the level of dopamine in the body high for about 90 days after intial sexual congress to keep the pair doing it again and again to improve chances of conception. That's what puts the twinkle in the eyes and the bounce in the step. After the 3 month honeymoon hormone levels drop and partners tend to split up. The drop in nice feeling hormones probably causes temporay reduction in mood.

OTOH women with low self esteme can be an easy lay. Unloved girls will look for love in lovers. These conditions can also be depressing, not caused by sexual activity.

I recall reading about studies which showed bipolar disorder most frequently starts in young adulthood, just when people are at univeristy studying. It's an age thing, nothing to do with sexual activity.

You pays your money and you takes your pick.

I would not be one to rush to blame depression on sex. If anything the opposite. I have seen the mood of young women elevate noticably when they meet someone special. The very exsitence of this site leads me to think that is the case. Hope springs eternal. Depression is the absence of hope.
 LathaMath
Msg: 10 (view)

K Genetlemen How do you feel if we ask you to meet us?
Posted: 3/25/2012 3:19:43 PM
How would I feel? Anxious and panicky. I might have to perform.

Technically "silence is consent" although it doesn't help much in this case as you need more information, like where and when. Optimistically the lack of reply is not a show of lack of interest. He's just keeping his options open.

We can take it honest...
Speak for yourself. Evidence in the forums contradicts you plenty. However, a simple "no thanks" is 'way better than stating reasons. See previous sentence.
 LathaMath
Msg: 86 (view)

Life without love/Relationships
Posted: 3/25/2012 8:55:18 AM
Where is this girl market you speak of?
The simple answer is life is the girl market. It's essential to the survival of the species. When's the last time you've smiled and raised your eyebrows at a cute chick just to check out her reaction? What's the last time you said "Nice hair" when you passed a babe on the street to see if she looks around? I hope you're getting the drift here. Stay positive. Have fun. Watch for the signs.

PS. Gold is for insurance. I've kept a couple years worth of living expenses in coin and gold mutual funds since the 70's. So far the nation's currency has held up and I haven't had to spend any. Stocks are for growth and income. Like girls they are interesting and fun. Stay positive. Watch for the signs.
 LathaMath
Msg: 213 (view)

So, she had a kid, have I done enough?
Posted: 3/24/2012 5:07:23 PM
Isn't Mother Nature a ****? As for those who feel sorry for the child, why is that? **stards can grow up to do amazing things. Royal **stards have become kings. War **stards become surgeons, teachers, whatever. Don't give up on **stards. Feel bad for children badly raised by their own natural parents.
 LathaMath
Msg: 89 (view)

Will putting our best pics get the best match over 45?
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:43:50 PM
photos are important but what you think are your worst photos could be your best. For example, formal studio photos don't do it for me. I like a natural, slightly dishevelld look. You may think those are your worst photos. I notice a lot of women have travel photos. To me they are contrived and don't show the person in her natural setting. You may think they are your best photos. Not for me.
 LathaMath
Msg: 79 (view)

'Younger' older women. Why?
Posted: 3/24/2012 4:38:14 PM
I hang out with bicycle enthusiasts who are for the most part active which seems to keep them looking young and flexible. They certainly aren't over weight. I think the blood flow feeds the body cells and keeps them healthy. The cyclists I know are not athletes by any means, but cycling for every day transportation keeps them fit. Life is hard but it's simple. To keep fit keep moving. To lose weight stop eating. To build savings stop spending. All that is required is self-dicipline.
 LathaMath
Msg: 65 (view)

Is taking things slow really necessary after the age of 45???
Posted: 3/24/2012 3:59:46 PM
Ah yes, the thrill of the chase, going through the motions, slowly cricling the quarry, savouring the dance,...

"necessary"? acording to a female acquaintance who organized singles dances in the 90's is isn't even normal. She was disgusted by the speed at which recently disengaged middle aged adults would regularly rush into a new liason and begin cohabiting in some form or another. I think you are imagining things. Pure fantasy on your part. The majority of humans are terribly superficial, not at all introspective. Seventy-five percent of North Amercians are flaming extroverts. If you are an introvert given to sticking your nose into books and lurking on websites for entertainment, you are in the minority.
 LathaMath
Msg: 8 (view)

Do men ever date women who collect social security Disability?
Posted: 3/24/2012 3:41:00 PM
Many women on social assistance have boyfriends but they have to get them out of the house when the lady from the welfare office comes to visit. Like the previous posters wrote, I would not blame any lack of interest on being on welfare or on long term disability.
 LathaMath
Msg: 81 (view)

Life without love/Relationships
Posted: 3/24/2012 12:35:23 PM
I've looked at your profile and seen nothing wrong, maybe more smiley photos. Overall I tend to agree that you are obsessing over your situation and attmepting to rationalize which has introduced quite a bit of negativity. My adivce would be to loosen up and work more fun into your life. Hard work is a good thing but must be balanced by play time. As they say "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and girls don't like dull boys very much. Girls want to feel good. Learn how to make girls feel good. If you want to get rich you learn about the stock market. If you want to get laid you learn about the girl market. Getting a wife or girlfriend means getting into the girl market. Good luck.
 LathaMath

Is it time for me to move on?
Posted: 3/24/2012 12:08:47 PM
You were FWB for 4 yrs. Then at age 28 you started to fall in love with him. You need to ask yourself why you did that. My guess is you heard your biological clock ticking and grew anxious that if you did not marry soon you would be too old. It's common among women your age. I dated a few. If that's the case you should probably move on. As has been pointed out so far, given the little information we have about him, this fellow is not likely to marry. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 105 (view)

If I do not respond to your message.....
Posted: 3/24/2012 11:53:36 AM
It would not discourage me. There are more important things to look for in a profile. From reading the forums, email on this site runs the gamut from polite personal correspondence to junk mail. The sensitivty of people sending mail is also all over the map. It seems reasonable to ignore all mail addressed to "occupant" and to send polite rejections to polite first messges.
 LathaMath

should i stick to my principles
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:48:15 AM
Assuming you mispelled "principals", I'd say probably "yes". Having invested time in your principal dating partners you should now be enjoying the interest. I would stick to them and not expend extra energy on new principal dating partners until the old ones stop yielding benefits.

If you did, indeed, mean "principles" then I'd tend not to unstick from them. However you have to decide how much such messages reveal about the people sending them. You seem to be hoping they are not what they seem. Sadly most things are just what they seem, except for advertising and sales pitches which tend to be much worse than they seem. Since this site if full of people peddling their charms and companionship, such as they are, I'd be extra wary. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 19 (view)

Strange response to email re: relationship
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:56:21 PM
You don't say what you wrote in your email so we don't know to what he was responding, so people are just speculating. He may not want to enter into a long term realtionship with someone a few years older for practical reasons. We don't know what they are. If you are really curious you could write back and ask about them. We certainly can't tell you. You need not be insulted. You see a personal preference as a judgement on your worth as a person. Try to get over that. We are who we are. His preference or limitation is not a statement about you. It is a statement about him or his situation. Maybe he could put an age restriction on whomever can message him or mention in his profile that he is looking for someone younger than himself.
 LathaMath
Msg: 52 (view)

Are you ever tempted to look for FWBs - instead ?
Posted: 3/23/2012 5:39:28 PM
"instead" ? No. Preferred? Yes, definitley. I've always preferred to avoid the complications of women who think they are in love and love to play the role.

People get together for all sorts of reasons, eg loneliness, social climbing, peer pressure, family pressure, economic pressure, and on and on. Being friends and enjoying the pleasures of sex seemed like pretty good ones to me. But there are other benefits, like maybe sharing the rent, maybe getting the lower shared occupancy rate on vacations, maybe having the oil changed in your car, usually having a ready date for social functions, or others as the case may be. Yes, friendship is a relationship. True friends may not be "in love" but they are trustworthy and I prefer that.

Obviously people have all sorts of ideas of what "friends with benefits" means. You'll all call it as you see it depending on whether you like the idea of anything other than a relationship, marriage, casual sex, or whatever. Whatever it takes to rationalize and justify your personal preference. Dream on and enjoy, if you actually are enjoying, your preference. Evidence from the forums suggests generally not.
 LathaMath
Msg: 42 (view)

Is it normal to come to POF?
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:54:18 PM
Ahh yes, those who have already found someone and just want to "educate the people" .. what would we do without them???

Weeell, for one thing you assume dating is about finding someone, and here I assume you mean that "special" someone who fills some deep seated need in your (collective, not singular) psyche. Like the one you (singular) would like to find or you wouldn't still be registered on the site?

Or, perhaps, who have dated successfully, as they see it, and like yourself (as stated in your profile) are content being on their own to explore or enjoy life without encumberances, or, indeed have found that special someone. Either way.

These forums are full of people asking questions and seeking help. Considering the low level of comfort and competence with online dating, as evidenced by the number of questions, complaints, rants, and pleas, yes where would they (you can include yourself here or not as you please) be without people who are willing to share the benefit of their knowledge and experience, modest amounts being quite sufficient to the purpose? Will they listen? Will they learn? Do they (same "they" as before) ever?
 LathaMath

Do I tell him I like him ?
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:26:11 PM
I agree you could tell him but not all serious and soppy so he's afraid of hurting your feelings and losing your friendship and everything. Just ask him lightheartedly if he thinks you'll ever end up in bed together. If he asks why just say the thought occured to you from time to time, as it has probably occured to him, and you wonder what the thinks about it. If that leads to an awkward pause quickly change the subject and don't ever mention it again.
 LathaMath

Only see each other weekends with no time alone
Posted: 3/23/2012 4:18:40 PM
If he's in an isolated workplace with no mobile 'phone service he's unlikely to be seeing anyone else or you either. It sounds like an unfortunate arrangement, like he's working on a construction site. For this to work out I think one of you is going to have to relocate. Whether or not you keep up with it would depend on whether your jobs are temporay or permanent. Nowadays guys who work in isolated jobs usually get long periods off to visit their families and girlfriends. Make that "or" girlfriends.
 LathaMath
Msg: 73 (view)

Does it hurt more if they are young and beautiful?
Posted: 3/22/2012 3:44:45 PM
No, actually, it feels spretty nice when they are young and beautiful. All of them.

Oh, you mean the breakup. Well, no. A breakup is a breakup and there are lots more young and beautiful fish in the sea. I like the way Brazilian industrialst put it while watching the young guys around his young and beautiful wife at a party, "As a businessman I know that 20% of a good thing is better than 100% of nothing."

I have this plan for avoiding death taxes. I marry a beautiful 20-something and name her the beneficiary of my tax-deffered savings account so when I go it's rolled over into hers tax free. When she's in her 70's she marries a young and beautiful 20-something and names him the beneficiary of her tax-deferred account she got from me, and on, and on, ad infinitim. Due to the power of tax-free compounding the account will eventually be the largest pool of capital on the planet. That's my romantic fantasy.
 LathaMath
Msg: 3 (view)

Do guys understand when women reach the point they won't have more kids?
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:43:34 PM
I don't understand your problem. I never wanted kids and my understanding is most guys feel the same and are seriously pissed off when told the girlfriend forgot to take her pill. However, having done the deed it's good to have someone to share the workload and expense of raising the little darlings. Bless you for not wanting more kids. Have you got the tubes tied yet?
 LathaMath
Msg: 10 (view)

Friends with Benefits
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:09:50 PM
When I was 19 I started what turned out to be a 12 year on-again, off-again, um, "relationship" with a 39 yr old divorced woman. At 19 I was broke trying to get through school and did not want to risk getting a young girl pregnant and ending up pumping gas for the rest of my life, what we used to do when MacDonalds was in it's infancy. Girls my age were pretty silly, obesssed with their looks and clothes and full of anticipation of marriage. We had our ups and downs and later there were others but we were friends up until she died. She saved me from a fate worse than death.
 LathaMath
Msg: 41 (view)

dating is just too complicated !
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:55:29 PM
If you live in a small town and have your own business dating can be impossible. Your business depends on your reputation. Walking on glass. Still, in small towns where everybody knows everybody else's secrets, people can be more forgiving. Gossip is for entertainment, not judging.
 LathaMath
Msg: 20 (view)

Two dates in one day and both good.
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:46:14 PM
Yeah, I've had two dates in one day, lunch and dinner at their places, on a work day, and both ended in sex. Both were good. Does that count?
 LathaMath
Msg: 12 (view)

For men- Man talking about his marriage
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:36:44 PM
"My spouse doesn't understand me" is one of the oldest lines in the book. Watch your step. Suggest he seek marriage counselling and leave it at that.
 LathaMath

Advice on first meet
Posted: 3/19/2012 5:32:38 PM
You can't judge people by what they say (or write). You can only judge them by what they do. If you are interested and if he wants to see you again agree on an appropriate place and activity beforehand. Then it doesn't matter what you call it.
 LathaMath
Msg: 15 (view)

Guys in Rural Areas, ideas where to meet people
Posted: 3/19/2012 11:37:57 AM
In the rual village where my mother was born women would leave to find husbands. Girls would get domestic posititions with distant relatives or family friends helping run the home and look after the kids. My mother and her sister got waitressing jobs in a mining town. That's where she met my father. Since you list your job as clerical it would be no loss to find something else in a larger town. How about North Dakota where all the oil drilling is going on?

Other than that you are stuck with church, the annual agricultural fair, and the travelling circus which you claim not to like.

Every time there was a new school teacher in the village the single men would all check her out. More than one married a local guy and stayed.
 LathaMath

Am I wrong to not get physical on first date?
Posted: 3/19/2012 11:21:04 AM
Boundaries are fine but you seem to have diffculty communicating. Try not to be so mysterious. Assume guys know when you are hiding something. Most do. Good luck.
 LathaMath
Msg: 53 (view)

the cat, the bathroom and the final frontier of intimacy
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:49:18 PM
The cat isn't carrying around over three millenia of religious and cultural baggage. The cat comes in. The SO stays out. Why? It's not up to you. It's up to them.
 LathaMath

when do you just walk away?
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:37:41 PM
You had an opportunity to text the bare boob lady and passed on it. Now you'll never know what she was doing or why. Shame. This could all have been cleared up one way or another and saved yourself the time and aggrivation. Better luck next time.
 LathaMath
Msg: 75 (view)

So, she had a kid, have I done enough?
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:26:12 PM
If the mother wants to know who the father is it's up to her to request both men get tested. A cheap blood test will tell if he is not the father. It won't tell if he is the father, for that it takes a DNA test. He is under no obligation to get a test on his own. Speaking of "protection" he can protect himself by sending her a witnessed registered letter offering to be tested at her request and include a deadline for the test. She has to provide a sample from the child. If a woman does not want to conceive there are any number of ways to prevent it. This is not the middle ages. Her womb is her responsibity. Ask any femminist. She was obviously irresponsible in more ways than one. She made her bed, now she has to lie in it. Her silence speaks volumes.
 LathaMath
Msg: 157 (view)

Way Too Much
Posted: 3/18/2012 5:06:59 PM
What did you mean by "we could talk over the 'phone"? Could be a simple misunderstanding about what that means. It's been my experience that women love to talk on the telephone. It's probably also been his experience. I've not met him as you have so I don't know but I think you owe it to him to clear up any misunderstanding before labelling him as some kind of nut.

^^^^ I see you've resolved your problem on your own without 7 pages of uneeded help from the foum for which you didn't have time anyway?
 LathaMath

I need help with my 'boyfriend'
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:54:45 PM
There is a phenominum where people who don't know each other begin communicating by computer and open up to each other, telling all kinds of personal things they would never reveal in person. It began years ago with email and I imagine it is now done by text and telephone as well. After the outpouring the well dries up so to speak and they drift apart. Looks like that is what happened to you. There never was anything substantial there, no shared experience, just words. You've never seen him? You don't really know what he is like or what his situation is. Just what he told you. Before thinking of someone as a boyfriend you need confirmation of your impressions, real sensory information, not just words.
 LathaMath
Msg: 16 (view)

A question for you men.....
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:37:27 PM
She who flew the coop struck me as being defensive about "being single for so long" in her post. Otherwise why would the fellow's question have upset her so much? Sounds like she resented the question.
 LathaMath

Question for Men
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:29:20 PM
You probably just wear them out. Keep going and you will eventually find one who can keep up. Good luck.

Show ALL Forums