Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?
 marmite baby
Msg: 80 (view)

High Cholesterol ? Suggestions? Remedies?
Posted: 9/29/2013 5:48:20 PM
Have you had your thyroid checked? Many people are underactive without knowing and this can cause high cholesterol. A blood test is needed to check it.
 marmite baby
Msg: 1 (view)

E cigs to have to meet FDA rules. Tobacco freely available.
Posted: 7/3/2013 4:15:10 PM
www.nhs.uk/news/2013/06June/Pages/e-cigarettes-and-vaping.aspx‎Cached
This will cripple e cig companies financially and make them far more expensive. 4 out of 5 friends now use e cigs instead of tobacco, I was a very heavy smoker for 30 years. After 2 days an e cig convert. Not a non smoker but now about one tobacco cig a week . The availability of e cigs could also be in question. I'm assuming in chemists, if the companies themselves don't get taken over or crash.
Why not just have the cig rules ie age restriction, even public place bans?
The reason is tax ,money lost to drugs companies who provide useless nicotine replacement products and remedies for sick smokers and of course tobacco companies themselves.
 marmite baby
Msg: 13 (view)

Should all school age children be treated the same?
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:07:13 AM
I cannot see why traveler's children should be treated any differently from those of non travellers. At present anyone can deregister their child from a mainstream school by sending a letter to the school. Permission has to be sought from the local authority if the child is registered in a special school.The local authority has a duty of care to check that education, not schooling, is met.From Education Otherwise though (website), there seems to be far less monitoring of what is taught. I am not saying that home schooling is wrong but think it should be monitored carefully, with the child being the central issue as opposed to tax evasion.
My main concern would be children as carers. And I suppose after/ combined with that flaky ideas foisted on children which affect them in the future.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 14 (view)

Do men actually like the chase?
Posted: 2/11/2013 4:30:25 PM
Perhaps its my age, but I don't really think of it as the chase. More mutual disclosure, in the non physically naked sense. This it at the e mail stage. Short messages with can we meet,, phone, really puts me off. Are these men socially incompetent/ playing it cool/ testing you out. I don't know.
 marmite baby
Msg: 60 (view)

Urban Foxes
Posted: 2/11/2013 4:10:07 PM
It would be a wow for me. The only time I've ever seen a fox was in London, in spite of living in a rural area.I was glued to the window " There's a fox!" Just fascinated,they are beautiful animals.My friend moaned aboutthe mess they mke. For me a real privelege to watch .
 marmite baby
Msg: 218 (view)

I want a quick first meet, he wants a leisurely dinner!
Posted: 2/5/2013 5:49:34 PM
Unless you have spent alot of time messaging or on the phone, which wouldn't really be my style, a meal sounds OTT.Do you live far apart? If so then it's different. I would want some messaging, photo exchange plus phone conversations before meeting for coffee, and I'm not interested in guys who live over 20 miles away. I need to feel comfortable.
 marmite baby
Msg: 2 (view)

The Year of Making Love - BBC3
Posted: 2/5/2013 4:27:18 PM
I found it really disappointing as I was interested in the methods behind the match making and whether they worked.There were mentions of eg both scored high on loyalty but nothing in depth, such as whether opposites attract? Pretty boring programme.
 marmite baby
Msg: 31 (view)

Eat to Live by Dr. Mark Fuhrman: Any Opinions?
Posted: 2/3/2013 2:42:37 PM
My friend was muscular toned and slim before he started to lose weight
 marmite baby
Msg: 30 (view)

Posted: 2/3/2013 1:18:42 PM
Full ramble. I'm quite worried about a male friend who has been losing weight. His girlfriend is a pescatarian, and obsessed with healthy eating,in a selective, and very fussy, way. My friend is a labourer, and works all hours, so the girlfriend does the cooking.The doc has run tests because he is not well at all. He's not a babe in arms, but is buying into this very low calorie lifestyle.
 marmite baby
Msg: 29 (view)

Posted: 2/3/2013 12:49:15 PM
I think that the thing missing from healthy eating guides, is suiting them to the consumer. For example my diet, as a largely sedentary middle aged woman, would be totally different to that of a male manual worker. If I were to cook for him, he'd lose weight. He would need more calorie dense food. If he cooked for me, I'd balloon. I just cannot imagine that our diets would be the same. That's not to say that you cannot cook together, but there would be adjustments.
 marmite baby
Msg: 133 (view)

Flue shots are more dangerous than the flu itself!
Posted: 1/27/2013 3:29:41 PM
The prob I had was my own time off. I don't think they cared about any risk to other people.Whether time off would be less since having the shot,I do not know,as I no longer work in a school.The flu shot should not be mandatory.as it could affect worker's rights. I partly had the jab plus pneumo jab to truthfully say I'd done something about my sickness record. I suppose I'm wonderingi f I'd asked the jab before becomng ill- would a load of hassle been averted,would I have become ill?In the real world employers have little sympathy.My reference includes days off sick.,which were higher for the last year.
 marmite baby
Msg: 131 (view)

Posted: 1/27/2013 1:04:46 PM
Health is big money, but for whom? True flu shots were not there when I was young, but neither were vitamin supplements, protein shakes and "healthy options" ready meals. and low cal.low fat options. Many diet foods contain the same calories as home cooked food they just cost more and have additives.Protein shakes the same principle.Only 2 ounces of protein are used as such per day.The rest just adds to calorie bank.In one day. a teenage vegan friend, big fan of the gym, ate eggs for breakfast, full meal, tea, at least 4 protein shakes, 4 eggs as a snack before bed? Wtf?
Anyone with a healthy diet diet , who cooks, does not need supplements. There are forums dedicated to whey protein. Useless food supplements must make their suppliers a fortune.
Flu jabs I agree with. I developed broncho pneumonia after the last bout of flu so had the jab plus the pneumo one. I've had severalj absfor holidays, so thought I'd be OK, which I was. I was v ill so on balance both jabs were a lower risk than pneumonia.
 marmite baby
Msg: 34 (view)

who remembers Roller Skating and Roller Discos
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:53:06 PM
I loved roller skating and discos. As a young teenager a group of us went to a roller disco every week. I've found it more difficult since,but my nephews were a good excuse. We had a games teacher who met us at the Wintergarden skate rink in Yarmouth for games lessons at one point. It was brilliant as we got to do grades, got to grade 3.
I loved the music and the speed. We would form a line from centre outwards (till it was stopped). My only real accident was being on the outside end of such line and being thrown off. Major buzz though.
 marmite baby
Msg: 22 (view)

Tumour/Lump Diagnosis Removal & Results?
Posted: 1/24/2013 11:31:43 AM
Glad to hear that the biopsy was benign. It is worth leaving some lumps and bumps,once biopsied.
 marmite baby
Msg: 116 (view)

Posted: 1/23/2013 5:02:40 AM
Immediately incensed. Pneumonia is far more dangerous, and the flu shot should be encouraged if working with vulnerable adults.Pneumo shot too .
 marmite baby
Msg: 38 (view)

Would you feel insulted?
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:30:19 AM
Prat is not a serious swear word. Unless there is some other reason for breaking up because of it, it is stupid. If someone created because I used that word I'd dump them.
 marmite baby
Msg: 138 (view)

Is there anything about yourself that annoys you?
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:13:59 AM
lol scooby My good looks, and large bank balance just intimidate guys.
 marmite baby
Msg: 8 (view)

would you speak up, or act??
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:52:52 AM
Hmmm if the child was a pain and it was an expensive restaurant Ithink I would have tried to move tables without giving a reason, or if necessary having a quiet word. The Down's sydrome wouldn't register, more the irritation value.
Perhaps the restaurant should think about seating. Eg hen night near a couple would not be ideal either.
 marmite baby
Msg: 136 (view)

Is there anything about yourself that annoys you?
Posted: 1/20/2013 9:35:02 AM
Lack of self discipline.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 66 (view)

Can you be spiritual without being religious?
Posted: 1/16/2013 2:15:35 PM
Yes but I'm not sure what the difference is. And they are different. I suppose because you can be spritual without worshipping a particular God. Spirituality for me is more a code of ethics, aspiration, a comfort when chance takes over.
 marmite baby
Msg: 54 (view)

Have you ever looked at someone and taken an irrational dislike?
Posted: 1/14/2013 6:19:01 PM
Yes and I've been right. Must be some subliminal thing. Should add that the love at first sight worked too. : )
 Marmite baby
Msg: 179 (view)

Wanting Christian Grey.....
Posted: 1/1/2013 9:08:34 AM
Never read the books, but surely he's a sexual fantasy? Might be OK re enacted in the bedroom, but definitely not anywhere else.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 21 (view)

Seven Day NHS?
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:47:50 AM
Totally agree with Doc Viper. Plus surgeons do not have weekends off, they still deal with emergencies. Just stunned by people thinking that doctors do it for the money,or to have weekends off.
 marmite baby
Msg: 80 (view)

Definition Of Independence.
Posted: 1/1/2013 8:07:15 AM
Coping with spiders alone. Graduating to July bugs...
 Marmite baby

Returning gifts
Posted: 1/1/2013 7:44:28 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'm a happy bunny today, the original Argos store exchanged the frame for a gift card. No hassle at all.
 marmite baby
Msg: 2 (view)

Returning gifts
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:57:57 AM
Feel angry that my friend spent her money on something which is obsolete, plus the fact that Argos still sell it,and renege on their refunds policy.
 marmite baby

Returning gifts
Posted: 12/31/2012 9:45:27 AM
Hi.I've just tried to return a digital photo frame to Argos, as my camera memory card, XD, is incompatible. The receipt was enclosed with the present. They refused to take it back or swap it for a compatible frame. They said the reason was fingerprints on the item, but to try the store it was bought from. Would the giver of the gift have more luck? It is still within the 30 day returns policy. Seems a big waste of money, 50 quid and tbh not worth it,no USB port.A lovely gift but very frustrated that in order to use it it I'd have to spend £15 on a multicard reader and SD card. I'll give the frame a wipe and try again tomorrow. It doesn't matter tome who gets the dosh, but I feel that they should honour their 30 day returns policy.
 marmite baby
Msg: 173 (view)

Do some women like being sex slaves?
Posted: 12/30/2012 1:42:31 PM
Just musing, and thinking about play, generally. I suppose my thread should be sex after 50. I have no interest now, but loved sex play. It was mostly me pushing guys out of their comfort zone, but wasn't averse to guys doing it either. The trick is to know your partner well.And enjoy...
 marmite baby
Msg: 12 (view)

Going from 20mg Prozac to 40mg ?
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:44:17 PM
If you work, ask to be signed off.I had broncho pneumonia without realising it after the flu. You can get used to feeling ill, if you feel that you can't stop.
 marmite baby
Msg: 11 (view)

Going from 20mg Prozac to 40mg ?
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:07:34 PM
Have you had a general health check? Ie blood tests? If not you should push for them to rule out diabetes, underactive thyroid etc.The flu could also make you feel more down than usual for several weeks. Personally I had no side effects with Prozac,didn't seem to do much but was easy to come off it There is something about your message setting off alarm bells. Go back to your doctor and tell him of your concerns.You are right to look after your health.
 marmite baby
Msg: 45 (view)

Skin care for women over 40
Posted: 12/28/2012 3:37:55 PM
I've become increasingly sensitive to hair dye.I now use the 10 minute treatments, thinking that it is on your head for a shorter amount of time, but not sure its making much difference.I use an itchy scalp shampoo for a few days afterwards and use vasaline close to the hairline whilst the dye is on. Any advice here would be appreciated!
Moisturisers are trial and error.I usually forget to use use them anyway, but cheap sunscreen, oil of Olay, is fine. Unfortunately the more expensive creams aren't.My eyes in particular react,however hard I try to avoid them,;water wipe, repeat,most probably getting more irritant in them.I've got fairly good skin, but usually just wash with warm water, and use a scrub once a week.
 marmite baby
Msg: 5 (view)

Seven Day NHS?
Posted: 12/20/2012 10:21:38 AM
It sounds good in theory. My only concern would be the experience and well being of surgeons working weekends.I'm waiting for a routine op, which has low risks; these are much higher if the the surgery is performed by an inexperienced surgeon as they need to know what to do if it goes wrong and act quickly. I'm the queen of google, and have read everything including the background of the surgeons .A friend of mine is a doctor, and worked ridiculous hours when training.Scary and inhumane. Having said that you could get a less experienced surgeon during the week, but at least there could be advice on hand.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 14 (view)

One vegetarian for Christmas .
Posted: 12/20/2012 9:32:33 AM
Only one? I'd need to eat at least five...
 marmite baby
Msg: 77 (view)

Conneticut School Shootings
Posted: 12/16/2012 4:56:24 AM
I think whats missing here is the totally egocentric nature of aspergers. There is no compassion, and the children would have been seen as a barrier to his mum. He also would have had control of his mother, to the point that he would have ended up with home schooling.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 74 (view)

Conneticut School Shootings
Posted: 12/16/2012 3:44:21 AM
I don't think that changing gun law will make any difference.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list There is no relationship between gun ownership and homicide caused by shooting.
Wilkipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attacks_related_to_primary_schools.These attacks do not have guns in common, more mental illness. The list is very biased regarding war/ homicide but although the accuracy ie of the site is questionable,it gives some perspective. Dunblane's attacker for example, used a machete.
My own thoughts on this is it is far too PC when it comes to raising concerns, and the authorities acting on them, regarding potentially dangerous people. The other side of this is vulnerable people just left to fend for themselves. No sense of community, or caring.
There were signs before this happened.
Trying to get a gun on the Tuesday before. Refused as he wouldn't give a background check.
Judge ruling for help with parenting when the parents split up.
Disagreement re education on part of the parent led to home schooling. This could well have been manipulated by Lanci.
Testimony of a babysitter and the brother re outbursts, moodiness, personality disorder combined with the egocentrism of aspergers and the possibility of jealousy regarding his mothers time. I can't help but feel that his mother knew how unstable, and possessive he was.
Altercation at the school the day before.
Schools are very hot on safeguarding when it comes to adults, but not when it comes to peers. Volatile children with special needs are given chance after chance, with different strategies put into place in order to avoid outbursts. They attack other children, and are covered under discrimination laws and IEPs., plus lead an existence tailored to just them. They then leave school and are not equipped for the real world. There is no follow up, in spite of knowing that they could be dangerous. Who do you tell?

marmite baby
Msg: 30 (view)

Home Made Cold and Flu Remedies
Posted: 12/8/2012 10:54:16 AM
Pineapple does wonders for a sore throat.PLus fenugreek, nutmeg, mustard and chilli are great for colds, plus a good excuse to eat curry,spag bol and bombay potato.
 marmite baby
Msg: 61 (view)

dating on ant depressants?
Posted: 11/30/2012 8:17:28 AM
Is it you or your prospective partner that you are talking about?Seeing adoc would generally show some desire for improvement?
 marmite baby
Msg: 60 (view)

dating on ant depressants?
Posted: 11/30/2012 7:31:01 AM
It sounds op that you could still be quite depressed. Give it time. There is no shame in anti ds, many people take them, without anyone else realising. In my last place of work, the max was 5. If I hadn't have mentioned it to trusted colleagues, they wouldn't have known or said that they were taking them.They are not addictive, but you really need to talk as well. You are not alone. You could feel worse before you feel better. Why the rush to find a partner? You need friends right now. Your medical history is private,I would not broadcast your anti ds to people unless you trust them, especially men. Talk toyour family , girlfriends, let them help you.
Best of luck.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 34 (view)

Calculator ban in school exams - thoughts?
Posted: 11/11/2012 11:58:49 AM
I think the whole point is whether they are ready. I strongly agree with setting for maths. A lower set age 10 will never get much beyond basic arithmetic,if you're lucky and need alot of practical work and visuals. Some grasp pattern. and calculators there are useful , to reinforce place value.
Brighter kids get the basics quickly,can estimate, understand inverses,commutivityand they have internalised visual arrays. To them calculators are beyond arithmetic. I'm talking 8 year olds. They can double factors to get multiple eg 8 x 7 16 x 7,160x 7 ( place value, can round to the nearest 100 and are starting to estimate with bigger numbers.
Banning calculators would get rid of a teaching tool, plus hold back the most able.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 11/11/2012 11:08:52 AM
Hear hear Jerry PC Pretty good reply for an old fogey! ;)
 Marmite baby
Msg: 32 (view)

HGH is increased by FASTING?????
Posted: 11/11/2012 10:40:06 AM
There was a horizon programme about this, you can watch it on U tube. Google Horizon Eat Fast and Live Longer. Most people call it the 5 2 diet. and it's not fasting , just reduced calorie intake for 2 days a week. It depends on age and activity levels,but roughly 600 cals for men; 400 to 600 for women. I did it for about a month.Didn't lose much weight,about 3 pounds, but it didn't seem to do much harm either. I suspect that eating mostly fruit and veg plus a small amount of protein for two daysa week did me good.
Some people swear by this diet, which is easy to stick to, and very popular in the UK.Google 5 2 diet. The Mums Net site has a thriving forum, as do several other sites.
 marmite baby
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 11/10/2012 2:47:12 AM
Samba lady,I totally agree with you. The calculator paper for key stage 2 SATs is difficult, and just being able to push buttons would not get a pupil a good mark. Mathematical understanding is required. Not using new technology would also not prepare young people for the future.
The other two papers are no calculator and mental arithmetic. Children are taught to use calculators with understanding, and efficiently.Saying that you cannot use a calculator when you know the sum is like banning written methods in favour of mental arithmetic.
 marmite baby
Msg: 4 (view)

Cataract surgery- private or NHS?
Posted: 11/10/2012 12:51:25 AM
Thanks Skyr.
Don't know what'd been rattling your cage import. FYI, I did get myself checked out, but having phoned for an ambulance, expected one to arrive.
Obviously I will be talking to a doctor, but the experiences of other people who've had the op would be helpful. It's called support-look it up in the dictionary.
 Marmite baby

Cataract surgery- private or NHS?
Posted: 11/9/2012 5:47:45 AM
I have a fast developing cataract in my left eye, plus wear varifocals.I'm short sighted and have some astigmatism in both eyes. It seems strange that the cataract is my left eye is so advanced ( I have a sight test every 2 years) but no no sign at all of one in my right eye. Plus I'm 52 and struggled to read the sight test at all with my left eye.I was asked about injuries, and had a fall, plus lost consciousness,about 4 months ago.I got to the phone, I'd hurt my arm.I can't remember how I got to bed.The police then turned up, I just managed I need help.I wasn't examined. Should add that In felt like putting in a complaint. They immediately assumed that it was alcohol related, and were very patronising.I had had a few drinks, hence the empty bottle of wine, but was not drunk after falling asleep on the sofa and then getting up.Which was when the accident occurred. I got checked out by the doc, sprained elbow, plus accompanying bruising. V painful when it happened. I think that people who are drunk still, in a civilised society should get help if they are injured,and there should not be an assumption of enebiation. when they are sober.
This is relevant as I could have jarred my eye, no obviousdamage,or been concussed.
Age related cataracts usually affect both eyes. My question, really is:
Will I get a sedative on the NHS?
Would I be better choosing a better lense implant? (Not available on the NHS)Eg bifocal or adaptive?
What are your experiences of surgery and the lense choice?
 Marmite baby
Msg: 28 (view)

Horrible headaches!!
Posted: 11/9/2012 4:39:37 AM
Have you had a recent sight test? The headaches could be due to eye strain.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 102 (view)

When Will the Job situation improve in the UK?
Posted: 10/21/2012 4:28:42 PM
I just feel lost. My job, a teacher, was never just that. No children,no partner. before that.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 308 (view)

What words should be banned from profiles?
Posted: 10/19/2012 11:51:13 AM
Make me happy Tactile, prob an octopus, queaoush
 Marmite baby
Msg: 25 (view)

bad news on energy prices (again)
Posted: 10/19/2012 10:27:58 AM
Dark Knight,I agree;mortgage is up as well. Food prices are set to rise,but can't say that I've noticed so far. Friends with protein hungry teenagers have. Now that I'm watching what I spend I can't understand the obese because of takeaways,and expensive veg argument. There are offers on veg everywhere, for me its the protein which costs much more. Having a slow cooker and freezer reduces the price though,I'm really enjoying cooking at the mo. Food you havecontrol over,heating/mortgage ,you don't.
 Marmite baby

A history of ukrainian tractors
Posted: 10/19/2012 10:10:40 AM
Thought thiswould be about the book.V good apparently.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 94 (view)

Things Not To Do Or Say On A First Date !!
Posted: 10/16/2012 10:18:53 PM
Leave to throw up in car park.I haven't drank Pernod since. :)

Show ALL Forums