Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?
 Reveal1K
Msg: 88 (view)

If there truly is a God, why is he so cruel to mankind?
Posted: 10/11/2012 10:52:31 PM

The reality of God is in the creation that is all around you. If you can't look at an automobile and say it created itself, or look at a house and say it drove its own nails, yet you can look at the creation around you that is infinitely more ingeniously created, and say nothing exploded and created everything, then your reality is a self-deluded lala land.
People are responsible for what we see around us. Buildings, cars, cities, human populations even; everything we see around us has a natural explanation. If you think that some invisible man just "poofed" everything into existence, then YOUR reality is a self-deluded lala land. I've seen people make buildings, I've seen painters make paintings, I've seen people and machines build automobiles. But you know what I've never seen? A god just poofing something into existence.

Either there is no God, which would answer the question about cruelty to mankind, or there is a God, a Spinoza God, which simply does not care about what has formed on a piece of rock called Earth in the far edge of the Milky Way Galaxy. There is no bearded man in the clouds answering prayers and punishing sinners.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 3 (view)

Am I not doing this online dating thing right?
Posted: 9/8/2012 2:10:25 AM
POF can be rough, but the more you put into it, the easier success will be IMO.

With that in mind, let's first take a look at your pics. Did you just find some pics of you and slap them on to POF? Your pictures do more than show the people checking you out what you look like. Pictures can do something that your profile might not be able to do: it shows a sense of who you are as a person. Don't simply slap a picture on POF just so someone knows what you look like. Think about what that picture is saying about you. One thing you can do is take a whole bunch of pictures of yourself. Out of the bunch, choose the best couple of pictures that make you look your best. If you are a funny, laid back guy, your pictures should give that vibe! Your profile as a whole needs to do this as well, by the way.

As for your actual profile, I just skimmed over it, but I did not notice anything that might make your profile stand out. Think about what YOU like to read in someones profile, and then apply that to your own profile. In other words, you don't want to read a long profile where a girl talks about herself in a resume type format. A profile is more attractive or appealing if you can get a vibe of that persons personality.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 212 (view)

Creationism in schools
Posted: 9/2/2012 11:27:41 PM

Guess what? We don't know!

Despite my own personal feelings regarding your need to judge those who disagree with you, as evidenced by the tone of your post.... no one is saying that children should be taught that "God did it". Please reread, and if need be, remove your blinders first.
But that is exactly what I.D. or creation is.

Just as Demigod said already, we already have an understanding of how the world created and how life came to be as we know it on this earth. There isn't even a reason to teach kids creationism or ID. What would that teach them? That it's ok to say "Well, I don't know, so God did it!"?

I understand that your position is to teach children other methods of figuring things out. But creationism is exactly not that. You can't study God, you can't see God, you don't even know if there IS a god, and there isn't a way to see if he exists, let alone assert that he does exist and he's the reason why things the way they are.
 reveal1k
Msg: 208 (view)

Creationism in schools
Posted: 9/2/2012 5:49:07 PM
Since when was school about "not being bored?"

Teaching children that "God did it" is an acceptable answer is not science, and it does not teach children anything. It might teach them to be satisfied with such a lazy answer, but that is about it. That's all the "God did it" answer is, anyway; just a gift wrapped version of "I don't know."
 Reveal1K
Msg: 201 (view)

Creationism in schools
Posted: 8/31/2012 11:25:36 PM
"God did it" is not education, nor is it even in the realm of reality. Life reaching earth via meteor, alien seeding, or life forming in some kind of soup is all within the realm of reality.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 197 (view)

Creationism in schools
Posted: 8/29/2012 4:57:52 PM
"God wiggled his nose for 5 days to create everything. He sneezed, and from that came Adam on the 6th day. God said, "SHAZAM" and created Eve out of Adams rib. Alright, now that that is out of the way, let's get into the real science."

That's what would happen if creationism eventually pushed its way into schools.
 reveal1k
Msg: 36 (view)

Should Religious Believers Be Forced To Pay For Private Schools While Non-Believers Get It For Free
Posted: 8/26/2012 2:39:52 PM
It would be better if you could point out the reasons why my arguments are wrong rather than getting your knickers all in a twist and shouting troll .
We would love to, but you haven't given any arguments. "Evolution is just a fairy tale" is not an argument.

Now, I would like your opinion on this.
In 1971, biologists moved a certain type of lizard, Podarcis sicula, from their original home on Pod Kopiste to the neighboring island of Pod Mrcaru. These lizards ate mostly insects on their original home, but their diet went to mostly plant food on the neighboring island. In only 36 years or so, these lizards evolved. The head shape changed. The head size increased, bite force increased, even their digestive tract changed from the original Pod Kopiste lizards, all because they went from a mostly insect diet to mostly plant diet. Scientists can tell that these lizards are the same lizards as the lizards on Pod Mrcaru thanks to DNA analysis.

Now that is evolution. It is a fact that evolution happened. If evolution is only a myth, then how do you explain the change in these lizards?

Which 'religious maniacs posing as scientists' are you talking about?
He's saying that Evolution itself is a religion.
 reveal1k
Msg: 33 (view)

Should Religious Believers Be Forced To Pay For Private Schools While Non-Believers Get It For Free
Posted: 8/26/2012 1:37:44 PM
Definitely agree on evolution being a fact. The thing is that he has never given a reason as to why it is false. He just says it is. Never fails.

I wonder where we would be in medication if evolution was only a myth?

As for the thread topic, public schools teach the facts and teach kids to learn. I think that if you want your kids to learn that God and religion is true, well, you are not the majority but the minority.
 reveal1k
Msg: 218 (view)

Coming out as an atheist
Posted: 8/18/2012 3:24:42 AM
I want to take this one step further and say atheism IS a religion--of course, atheists will balk at this but their denial is yet another instance of their own inherent circular reasoning.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism is NONE of those. All atheism is is the lack of belief in a god or deity. That's it. Atheism says nothing about what a person does believe, or what a person does practice. If atheism is a religion, then NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 86 (view)

Making 'god' unfalsifiable..
Posted: 8/14/2012 4:59:56 PM
I'm as certain that God doesn't exist as I am as certain that fairies don't exist.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 9 (view)

25yrs? 50yrs? 100 yrs? How long from now until 95% + will be atheist/agnostic/non-religious?
Posted: 8/13/2012 10:24:44 PM
If you look back in history, you will also find that they were no-where near us in terms of science and technology.

People with questions can get online and do a little research and find answers. Something people were not able to do in the past.

It might take awhile, but I don't think that it will "never" happen.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 69 (view)

Making 'god' unfalsifiable..
Posted: 8/11/2012 10:46:43 AM

Again, you cannot prove He does not exist

If a buddy of yours told you that he was abducted by aliens, would it be his job to prove that it happened, or would it be your job to prove that it didn't?
 Reveal1K
Msg: 1203 (view)

Evolution vs Creationism/Intelligent Design
Posted: 8/3/2012 6:58:41 PM
message 1213 You haven't proved anything. You have NO proof there is no ID and you have NO proof there is no God. That may be what you believe....but that's as far as it goes. It's pretty obvious that neither "side" has the complete truth....for everthing one side "claims" the other can counter. Keep believing what you will.....it's ok....we all don't need to believe the same thing.
Wouldn't evolution prove that there is no intelligent design? No intelligent design in the sense that God didn't just create man, as well as the sense that even through evolution, it still would not be intelligent design, since our 'design' isn't that intelligent. We have proof of evolution. We don't have proof of ID.

Sigh*
if after everything i've posted, you're going to attach to the bible, then i'm going to start ignoring your comments, and simply not respond to you. fair enough?
Weren't you the one who mentioned that there was a flood? I thought we were having a discussion about the flood.
 reveal1k
Msg: 1192 (view)

Posted: 8/3/2012 10:45:48 AM
he pretty much summed it up, thanks demi ;) and if your saying there wasn't a first man, or woman,... mind you i'm a firm believer in evolution, then are we all just conscious beings in an imaginary realm? we did procreate, and become human at some point, i'm pretty sure this happened, because i know i exist for a fact. saying there was not a first man, and woman is pretty odd,... do you think we popped into existence as a multitude?
By flood, I was referring to the flood in the Bible. A flood so massive that the only way to save any species from extinction would be to grab 2 of every species and put them on a boat that certainly would not be able to hold such a large amount of weight, or even have enough room. Were there floods? Sure. But none that were as devastating to the planet as the Bible mentions.

There was no first man and woman in the sense that you would not be able to pick them out and say "Look! The first man and woman," if you were able to go back in time. Trying to pinpoint the first man and woman would be like trying to pinpoint the exact age when someone turns into an adult. You just can't. So you agree that we evolved into what we are today. That is why you would not be able to pick out "the first man and woman"; it is a gradual process. You would see subtle difference if you were to look all the way back to our ancestors, but you wouldn't be able to pinpoint the first human out of the group.
 reveal1k
Msg: 1177 (view)

Posted: 8/2/2012 10:46:23 PM
awwwww... isn't that cute,... you saw a show. i've seen shows too! :D
if there wasn't a first man, and woman to mate, you wouldn't be typing in this forum now would you... so there obviously was a first man, and woman. this is something religion, and science agree on, they just disagree on the how. we also know, and have proof that flooding did occur in the times of early man, and there's even a show on that! the bible actually has a lot of things inside of it that can be proven, just not the things ppl would actually like the answers too. and yes, i do agree that the world isn't 6000 years old, that would just be silly!
Uhmmm... no.
You'd understand how there would not be a "first man and first woman" if you understood evolution just a little bit. But you'd have to stop believing in fairy tales first. Like the flood, for example.
 reveal1k
Msg: 1158 (view)

Posted: 8/2/2012 11:32:06 AM
I saw a show a few nights ago about theories other than the Big Bang. They mentioned that the Big Bang theory is itself losing ground. The other theories proposed were pretty interesting.

Secondly, even the big bang theory itself doesn't say 'something came from nothing.' At least not what I've seen. They explained it as a tiny point that expanded.

Anyway, I'm not sure why people are still clinging to the bible and saying that it explains the big bang. We already know the Bible is false about just about everything else and is not reliable. No flood, no Adam and Eve, the world being 6 thousand years old, etc.
 reveal1k
Msg: 1045 (view)

Posted: 7/30/2012 10:49:03 PM

As Richard Carrier said, the human brain is so large that it killed almost a quarter of women who gave birth without modern medicine to help them. By any standard, human or otherwise, this is a bad design (would you buy a car that failed a quarter of the time?).

So knowing that it was a major issue to give birth when our ancestors became bipedal and had the narrower hips, why didn't THEY go instinct? I would imagine that not only would they suffer losses through giving birth itself, but predators would also be a major issue.
 reveal1k
Msg: 987 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2012 2:27:55 PM

wrong, the argument does not assume the existance of a designer, the argument POVES the existance of a designer just like the existence of a watch proves the existance of a watchmaker. And the same would be true even if you can´t study the watchmaker.

in science an expanation can be valid, even if you don´t have an expanation for the expanation

So, what if evolution was false? Let's pretend that we have no evidence for evolution. What proof do you have of ID? How did it happen?
So, what proof do you have? Evolution is false, wrong, and isn't real. prove your point. Explain ID. How did it happen? What's the evidence?
 reveal1k
Msg: 972 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2012 10:00:07 AM

wrong, the argument does not assume the existance of a designer, the argument POVES the existance of a designer just like the existence of a watch proves the existance of a watchmaker. And the same would be true even if you can´t study the watchmaker.

in science an expanation can be valid, even if you don´t have an expanation for the expanation
You can yell "wrong" all you'd like. But your argument fails to prove anything. Others have pointed out in a much better way than I have been able to point it out, so why don't you address them?

Your analogy of a watchmaker is also wrong. Go read The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins. Or even watch the video. It's on youtube. For someone who is trying to be scientific, I don't think you really know the facts.
 reveal1k
Msg: 963 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2012 7:51:30 AM
You can't argue for intelligent design when you can't even prove or study the designer.

In order to argue for ID, you have to assume that a designer exists for your arguments to get their foot in the door.

So, what if evolution was false? Let's pretend that we have no evidence for evolution. What proof do you have of ID? How did it happen?
 reveal1k
Msg: 955 (view)

Posted: 7/27/2012 11:36:15 PM
1), the argument is independent form the bible, if the bible is proven wrong, the argument would still be as sound as it is....I dare you tu provide a falsifiable argument for evolution that is stronger than the argument from desing.

2) No, the argument does not assume anything, the argument is based on two premises, each of them being objective, and falsifiable.

3) the argument is independent from the origin of God, one can say that God create life even if there is not an explanation for the origin of God. Asking ´´If God created life, then who created God´´ is as stupid as asking, ´´if the egiptians created the pyramids then who created the egyptians?´´ my point is that it is valid to conclude design even if you can´t explain where the designer came from.

The argument would be as sound as it is, and that is not sound at all. There is already mountains of evidence in favor of evolution. You can observe and test evolution. Not only is there no evidence for the ID idea, but it isn't even anything that you can test.

The ID idea assumes that God exists to have created us through evolution or ID. First, you have to prove that an intelligent designer exists before you can argue that He is responsible for our "intelligent design." People arguing for ID ignore the fact that they have not proven God (which you can't disprove, anyway) This is assuming the thing they are trying to prove.

That's not a stupid question. That is what you get for answering a mystery with another mystery. That is a perfectly logical question to the idea that 'evidence' of intelligent design requires a designer. By your own argument of something needing an intelligent designer, then the intelligent designer itself needs a designer. It may be stupid, but that's your issue, not mine.

You could disprove evolution by finding a fossil in the wrong place. Or if you could show the world that mutations do not occur.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 952 (view)

Posted: 7/27/2012 7:59:29 PM
Inteligent design is science, it is based on objective and falsifiable aguments, for example the argument from design states:

Premise 1 specified complexity can only come from an inteligen mind
premise 2 life and biological systems are specified and complex
therefore, life came from an inteligent mind

the argument is falsifiable, all you have to do is prove that any of the premises is false

the same argument is used in different sciences such as archeology and forencic science.
btw in this context:
complexity = unlikelly
specified = organiced = independent pattern

No, it's not science. First, there is no evidence to back up this claim. The 'evidence' comes from the Bible. There is tons of evidence for evolution which has been tested by observation. There is none for the idea of creationism. Secondly, the argument just assume the very thing it is trying to prove. The bottom line of this argument is that God exists. You can't disprove God (the supposed designer), so you can't disprove the idea of intelligent design. Thirdly, if you were to go with an intelligent designer, then the designer itself needs an even more intelligent designer. Creationism doesn't solve or answer anything at all. It just answers a question with another question.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 12 (view)

Anyone else sick of Broken Heart Memes on Facebook?
Posted: 7/27/2012 1:18:11 AM
Yeah, most of the women I work with are constantly posting stuff like that. CONSTANTLY!
 Reveal1K
Msg: 21 (view)

Waking her up with sex
Posted: 7/27/2012 1:13:01 AM

I used to wake up my ex with oral. No complaints from either of us.
Funny thing is, if she was in a deep state of sleep, she'd have a squirting orgasm as she awoke.
as much as I would love to try that, I don't think my head or neck is up for getting caught in a scissor hold. :(
 Reveal1K
Msg: 940 (view)

Evolution vs ID/creation
Posted: 7/25/2012 9:22:23 PM

Frankly, no matter which "side" you're on, I fail to see any harm in presenting alternate theories of the origins of man. After all, isn't education all about teaching one to think?
It's about teaching kids the facts so that they can come to their own conclusion. Or teaching them the conclusion all together. If anyone put the "theory" of creation to the same standard as science, you'd find that creationism would be dismissed before it could even get its foot in the door. And that is why it should stay out of schools. No proof of it, and no evidence. It just teaches kids to be satisfied with not knowing. "I don't know the answer. God did it." No thanks. I'll pass on that.
 reveal1k
Msg: 4 (view)

Waking her up with sex
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:14:29 PM
Do it regardless. It's sex that they didn't know they wanted!
 reveal1k
Msg: 79 (view)

For the guys: Do girls message you first?
Posted: 7/25/2012 8:13:09 PM
I've actually received more messages from women after I had changed it to say that I am married. lol
All of them were just congratulating me, though.

I think I've only had 2 women send me the first message the whole time that I have been searching on POF, though.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 157 (view)

Coming out as an atheist
Posted: 7/21/2012 1:33:42 AM
Believe all you want.
But like Xane mentioned already: when these beliefs start creeping in to other peoples lives who want nothing to do with your beliefs and starts affecting other people, than it is a problem and is NOT a good thing.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 911 (view)

Posted: 7/20/2012 10:29:41 AM

The Bible says "god" made man. That contradicts evolution right there. Hope that cleared the bible up for ya.
Twilight says that vampires and shapeshifters exist, specifically in Forks. By your logic, vampires and shapeshifters exist.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 14 (view)

One Step Closer to God (Higgs Boson God Particle)
Posted: 7/20/2012 10:22:39 AM
I know that it has been explained multiple times to the same people who don't know what it is on this forum. They don't want to know. They like living in ignorance. It's nothing to get frustrated over.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 10 (view)

Faith
Posted: 7/18/2012 11:31:02 AM
You've got cancer. You can choose only one of the 2 options:

You can go to your local doctor and have him do his thing, and you can pray as much as you'd like.

OR, you can go to a specialist, someone who knows more about cancer and treating cancer because that is what he specializes in. You can go to him, but you can't pray at all.

Which would you choose?

People say, "You gotta have faith!" Like that's a good attribute to have. lol
 Reveal1K
Msg: 888 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2012 10:36:43 AM
He knows what he is denying. That very thing threatens his belief of an afterlife and his god. Poor fella.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 885 (view)

Posted: 7/17/2012 9:35:05 AM
Guys. Dwight is a troll. Stop feeding the troll. He'll go away if you ignore him. He's been saying the same thing in any thread that has to do with religion, evolution, etc.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 8 (view)

Virgin at 24
Posted: 7/16/2012 6:28:36 PM
There are plenty of women who wish they had your problem, instead of spreading their legs for every guy they meet!
 Reveal1K
Msg: 68 (view)

Detecting life on other planets
Posted: 7/16/2012 2:22:18 PM
You can do your own research. Look up wormholes or just google your question. I doubt you'd be able to keep an open mind while reading, though.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 31 (view)

whats the point of being a good man if your not seen
Posted: 7/16/2012 2:15:09 PM
If you are being a good man because you think it will get you women, then you're being 'good' for all the wrong reasons. Besides, your definition of a "good man" is probably different from what many women would consider a good man.

Not cheating on women and not beating women does not give you brownie points. That is expected out of men from the get-go. No women dates a man if she knows she is going to get hurt or beat.

Insecurities, complaining, being needy and clingy, and low self esteem will ruin your chances before you even get your foot in the door.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 65 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2012 9:18:09 PM

What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?
* The Quarterly Review, March, 1825.

Rail travel at high speed is not possible, because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.
* Dr Dionysius Lardner (1793-1859), professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, University College London, 1823.

Well-informed people know that it is impossible to transmit the human voice over wires as may be done with dots and dashes of Morse code, and that, were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.
* Unidentified Boston newspaper, 1865

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
* Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society, 1895.

A rocket will never be able to leave the Earth's atmosphere.
* New York Times, 1936.

There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom.
* Robert Millikan, American physicist and Nobel Prize winner, 1923.

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.
* Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), in a talk given to a 1977 World Future Society meeting in Boston.

To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth - all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances.
* Lee De Forest, American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube, in 1957

There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television, or radio service inside the United States.
* T. Craven, FCC Commissioner (USA), in 1961 (the first commercial communications satellite went into service in 1965).

The phonograph has no commercial value at all.
* Thomas Edison, American inventor, 1880s.

Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.
* Thomas Edison, American inventor, 1889

Very interesting, Whittle, my boy, but it will never work.
* Cambridge Aeronautics Professor, when shown Frank Whittle's plan for the jet engine.

You sound a lot like these people, Plentyofthrowbacks.

I never said that we will be able to go faster than light. But I also won't say that we won't be able to.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 25 (view)

The point of existence
Posted: 7/15/2012 5:36:18 PM
It's whatever you make it out to be.
Nobody is the same.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 63 (view)

Posted: 7/15/2012 5:26:08 PM
I never said that we will be going faster than the speed of light. I said that it is silly for you to say that we know our limitations when we obviously do not know our limits. Quantum physics is an example of this. My point is that this is amazing stuff and it is relatively new. The possibilities that may come from understanding quantum physics will be amazing. I posted the link specifically for you to see just exactly what I am talking about. Scientists were able to teleport light from a distance of 10 miles. And this is just NOW. Who knows what we will be doing with this knowledge years from now.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 32 (view)

Did they really find the Higgs Boson particle?
Posted: 7/6/2012 10:28:17 AM

Seems they've got a humongous white elephant on the the French/Swiss border that urgently needs a coat of paint .
It's OK. If I had an invisible sky daddy, I'd be threatened by science and the facts as well.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 2 (view)

THe Wrath Of God, or not, depending on the interpreter.
Posted: 7/6/2012 10:26:24 AM
No, it's not. God would have to exist first.

Natural disasters happen. It's unfortunate, but they do. To think that it is God's anger or unhappiness is just ignorant.

Even if he existed, to think that he is unhappy with America more so than other countries is also silly. The US is one of the most successful countries in the world. You should actually be asking if God is unhappy with Africa or some other 3rd world country where wars, disease, AIDS, etc. are wide spread.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 27 (view)

Did they really find the Higgs Boson particle?
Posted: 7/6/2012 12:02:50 AM

OK.... excuse my ignorance on this subject
and being too lazy to quickly brush up on it...

. . . but all I'd really like to know is . . . what purpose does it now serve to have found this Higgs Boson particle?

What will we now accomplish by knowing this?
Not that I'm saying we shouldn't know as much as we can.... but is it really going to mean something?

Something other than just filling another page in a physics textbook?
It can tell us how the universe came to be. We can now use this particle to see what happened before the big bang. Before Genesis Ch1. Verse 1. lol

Ego.

You obviously haven't been reading the thread or done any research on it.

It's actually just short for "Goddamn particle."
 Reveal1K
Msg: 775 (view)

Posted: 7/5/2012 10:32:54 PM
So if God exists, then he is the result of a deliberate action. You're saying a design needs a designer. Using your own argument, the being that you are arguing for also needs a designer, which must be even more complex that God.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 82 (view)

Coming out as an atheist
Posted: 7/2/2012 11:21:38 AM
Losing faith isn't a bad thing. It's far more productive, safer, and rewarding to think with a logical, rational mind rather than believing things for which there is no evidence for.

Many Atheists were believers at one point. Why is it assumed that they are always jaded or something bad happened in their lives? Some minds just can't be imprisoned and will eventually break out, no matter how hard family and culture try and pound religion into peoples heads. That's all there is to it. Eventually, some people will not be satisfied with "Believing." They'll want to know why they believe what they believe and will find the truth.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 53 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2012 11:45:29 PM

reveal1k ,

You make sense.

The size of your ignorance matches your ego.

Man will never travel faster than light.

End of story.
You don't get out much, do you?
 Reveal1K
Msg: 12 (view)

Overpopulation Alarmism - Which Daughter should live?
Posted: 7/1/2012 5:45:14 PM
Not much to say on the topic, but you handled that extremely well. I wish I could have seen her reaction to it.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 756 (view)

Posted: 7/1/2012 4:32:34 PM
That's nothing. Wait until genetic engineering gains a little bit of ground. May be possible to create your own child the same way they made that model. While that may be going a little too far, it would also be possible to have children without any problem genes. No more cancer, no more birth defects.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 931 (view)

Can culture advance without religion?
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:25:54 PM
I think religion has already played it's role in history. It was our first attempt to make sense of things, and the world we live in. Given the technology that we have now though, I think it is time to move on. Religion now holds back advances in our society. Gay rights, women's rights, and stem cell research, for example.

Also, I think MOST threads/posts on POF are just about verbal masturbation.
 reveal1k
Msg: 49 (view)

Posted: 6/30/2012 3:00:10 AM
Our ancestors didn't know the Laws of Physics could get them there like we do now.

We also know that you can't travel faster than the speed of light.

We know a lot now.
We know our limitations.
We just fantasize scientifically about surpassing our limitations into space.
It will never happen. . . . and I'm a Star Trek fan.
Just saw a show tonight where they were working on some kind of new engine for space travel, much better, much more powerful and efficient than the rockets we're using today. One of the guys said that he was a Star Trek fan and he never thought thought he would see something Star Trek like (this particular engine) in his life time.

And also, with the experimentation of quantum physics, quantum mechanics, and all of that stuff, who knows what kind of doors will be open to us once we crack it. Humans have made astounding discoveries and upgrades within JUST the last 100 years. Think of what humans will be capable of in another 100 years if we continue at the rate we've been going.

Speaking of Star Trek and teleportation: http://www.livescience.com/7647-teleportation-milestone-achieved.html

"for the first time, information has been teleported between two separate atoms across a distance of a meter — about a yard." And you were saying something about knowing our limits!
 reveal1k
Msg: 72 (view)

Coming out as an atheist
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:51:52 AM
Well, it is possible to believe in a spirit, right? No God but believe in a spirit. I'm not sure what that would mean exactly, to just have a spirit that doesn't go to heaven or hell. That's what I always thought being 'spiritual' meant, though.

Show ALL Forums