Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: The Empty Nest Syndrome
 Scottsmom
Msg: 38 (view)

The Empty Nest Syndrome
Posted: 11/10/2008 4:30:00 PM
Scott called today to say he was moving to a different apartment in Florida., one a bit closer to work and school. He is doing well in college, and seems to have a grip on life, at least, for today.

I am still a bit lonely, but have decided going back to school for a couple of classes was a good idea.

I see kids all day long that remind me of Scott. But, have met a lot of women back to college the second time around who are my age and experiencing the same things.

It is painful at times, though.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 34 (view)

The Empty Nest Syndrome
Posted: 9/14/2008 9:44:58 AM
LMAO, Deacon. Of course, Iowa is a state. Colorado is the best state, though. I will agree with that.

Actually, I live on the border of Nebraska, South Dakota and Iowa. I can get to all three states in five minutes.

Scott is still sweating his buns off in Florida, and things are cooling off here now.
We still talk often, a couple of times a week. I am looking forward to him coming here for Christmas. I am sure the snow will shock him at first, but he's a Nebraska native, and will just have to toughen up for a few weeks. We've been away from it for almost 6 yrs., though.

Keep on writing, everyone!

GO BIG RED!

P.S. Ponytail, I'd love to have a margarita with you! Or a shot of jaager. Or both. Yikes!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 30 (view)

The Empty Nest Syndrome
Posted: 8/19/2008 1:20:43 PM
Eight months have passed since I last posted, and recently several people have written me personal e-mails to check and see how I am doing. And, I thought that was really very nice of all of you!

Scott is doing well going to college in Daytona Beach. He is also working as a valet, and has gotten up off the couch and started to appreciate money and education,,,somehow he grew up and is pretty much self-supporting, with acception to an occasional "emergency". LOL.
So, we have since resorted to talking on the phone. A LOT. Sometimes every day if things are dramatic. Like today, there is a tropical storm rolling over him. So as I sit in Iowa watching the "Eye of Fay", I call him all during the storm for updates. LOL

I decided to go back to college and moved back to where Scott and I are originally from. Iowa and Nebraska. Go Big Red!

I am happier now because I got out of the house and stopped crying. I left Florida and came home to my best friends and family,,,and let's face it,,he's doing fine.
I have made some new friends and don't miss him as bad any more! How is everyone else doing with the empty nest syndrome? Don't be a cry-baby.
Get out of the house,
And let your light shine.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 31 (view)

How often do you date?
Posted: 4/13/2008 10:33:11 AM
Anyone want to meet a REALLY AVAILABLE FIREMAN?
You could be his 28th date in 2 months.
Wouldn't that be special?
 Scottsmom
Msg: 29 (view)

How often do you date?
Posted: 4/13/2008 6:03:09 AM
Well, I have had 6 dates in 2 yrs. I think that's normal,,,,,compared to the fireman I met on here who had been on 27 dates in 2 months. He asked me out for Thursday,,,and I said "oh,,,you mean I am honored enough to be number 28? Dont think so."
lol.
Better to be selective, I think.
 Scottsmom

Any mothers whose children don't live with them fulltime?
Posted: 4/13/2008 5:10:34 AM
Daisymoon, don't feel bad about your son living with his Grandparents. Just thank God they are there for him. My son went to live with his Grandparents when he was
15,,,,because I went to rehab. A year and a half of sobriety later, and we moved back in together.

I too, am a single parent mom,,,and the male role model my father set as an example for him was that of pride, integrity and responsibility. Something he wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Grandparents are angels.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 87 (view)

Biting my Tongue to avoid conflict.
Posted: 4/11/2008 11:20:54 AM
Biker Guy reminds me of myself. Good ole midwestern values and respect.

'The "kill em with kindness" approach.

This exactly what I am trying to do,,,take the high road.

Well, I hate to beat a dead horse,,,so think I'll move on to other forums,,,,unless something REAL interesting happens,,,,,,I think I will end my own thread.

Thanks for the memories!!!!

Scottsmom
Msg: 76 (view)

Posted: 4/10/2008 9:07:26 AM
Thirteen days you have been reading this, bullielover? Maybe if you're so bored with it, you should "Get on", and stop reading it.

I just realized that I am a "cop-lover",,and you're a "bullielover",,,so no wonder we don't get along. Wanna' meet Richard and Cynthia? I am sure you would "love" them.

To the rest of you, who have read this thread for fourteen days now, thanks for all of your feedback,,,and I have given notice, and I am moving by the first.

Hey, C Deacon! I am coming back closer to you! Time to get my siberian huskies back!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 72 (view)

Posted: 4/9/2008 5:13:58 PM
OK,,so I talked with a neighbor girl tonight, who needed to borrow my phone, and she says that Richard and Cynthia have never said anything "bad" about me to her.

Do you think I was over -reacting?

Humm,,,,don't think so,,,last night I saw more refrigerators and scrap metal being toted upstairs.

And, I am STILL being sneered at. No ugly words as of late, though. I will keep you all posted.

Scottsmom
Msg: 40 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 4/9/2008 5:09:29 PM
LOL, Christopher,,,No, I can't imagine him minding and caring for a dog. But he sent me a photo pic of the pit-bull
( I knew it would be,,,it's a guy thing, I think,,,,) on my cell phone.

But thats all the text message said was "Dog"

,,,so for three days I couldn't figure out how to open the pic,,,
(sorry to say,,,,don't text message much),,,and when I opened it up,,finally,,,,
Guess what? It was a pit-bull! No kidding!

Wonder how long he will enjoy cleaning up puppy-poop?!

This icon is a dancing piece of poop. For Scott. LOL
 Scottsmom

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 4/5/2008 9:17:40 AM
He hasn't called me in weeks. I got one text message, and all it said was "dog".
So, my guess is Scott got a dog, but can't afford the minutes on his phone. LOL
 Scottsmom
Msg: 68 (view)

Posted: 4/5/2008 9:14:43 AM
You know, strangebunny, you're right,,,my physical and mental health has gone down hill quickly. I have been staying in, with the curtains drawn, and sleeping a lot. That's not like me. Got some more new neighbors last night. Bad news is,,,I noticed Richard and Cynthia helped them move their stuff up the stairs. Great.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 62 (view)

Posted: 4/2/2008 3:26:41 PM
Ominius,,,,,The first racial remark came out of HER mouth. She called me a cracker. The reason I told you the statistics is because I think there could be a pretty bad fight between races if this continues, and I wanted to provide the forum readers with some perspective.

I am letting the apartment complex manager handle it and continuing to ignore them. The manager told them one slip-up and they will be gone.

Sure hope they "slip" soon.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 57 (view)

Posted: 4/2/2008 8:31:02 AM
Quicksilver, you sure have a lot of ideas about how I can protect myself. Throat punches and knee kicks. LOL. I am trying to avoid violence, though.

I don't think the couple upstairs are drug dealers,,,I think they're thieves. They're always hauling furniture, etc. up the stairs,,,,and bicycles show up stashed out back. He rummages around and picks up scrap metal and sells it to the salvage yard. Picks up beer cans to return and dumpster dives every day trying to find something of "value" he can pawn.

They also fight alot, amongst themselves, and have had some domestic violence problems in the past.

So,,,,I'm still laying low!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 44 (view)

Posted: 4/1/2008 4:27:21 PM
I told the apartment manager I was moving, and she begged me not to, offered me an apartment in another building on the same property. She said she has had more complaints than just mine,,,so maybe Richard and his loud-mouth girlfriend won't be here much longer.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 101 (view)

Best Hangover Remedy..
Posted: 3/29/2008 7:41:08 AM
Drink pepsi, take three aspirin. Sleep, then wake and bake.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 79 (view)

What if you find an Ex date on here who is a true sociopath??
Posted: 3/29/2008 7:32:27 AM
Isn't that what "Don't Date Him, Girl.com" is for?

I met a guy on pof who turned out to be married,,,,and I thought about warning others that he is a schmuck,,,,but decided vengeance wasn't my style.

Let the poor **stard stumble onto the next victim. Hopefully she has brains enough to know that people aren't always what they seem behind the internet. Duh.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 40 (view)

Posted: 3/29/2008 5:53:36 AM
ibechuck asks why I introduced Richard,,,,It was a matter of being polite. Maybe Richard isn't used to people with manners.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 3/28/2008 7:27:18 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 20 (view)

Posted: 3/28/2008 11:20:40 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. I really appreciate the feedback.

"I'm not in Nebraska any more". So true,,,maybe I can click my heels and go back.

Or, better yet, maybe I should open up a can of Nebraska Whoop Ass and tell her off!

It's 85 degrees and sunny here today,,,and I don't even want to go to the pool.
I am a wuss.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 3/28/2008 10:16:29 AM
"They don't play in the same park I do". LOL. No, this place is not the ghetto,,,they just had a really good move in special and we attracted a lot of people. It's actually a pretty nice place, and I enjoyed it here before these allegations arose.

A group of Mexicans have gone" to bat "for me, in trying to combat the gossip. People I have cooked dinners for, or loaned them a telephone, or anything else neighborly. They said "Hey,,,why are people calling you a cop lover and a cracker?" And if anyone disses me,,,,they say.

"No, no,,,,Senora Scottsmom is very nice lady". Nice to have some support, but it's still VERY uncomfortable here.

Right now that woman is ranting and raving up and down the hallways. Not sure who she's mad at on the phone right now,,,but I think I will stay in my apartment and lay low.

I was going to go down to the pool, but I am afraid I'll run right into her. I am a prisoner in my own home.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 3/28/2008 10:01:40 AM
I DO plan to move, Funny Girl. Am going back to college in May. It's still going to be an awfully long month, though.

How do you reason with people like this?

OMG, right now she is ranting and raving on the cell phone up and down the hallways and outside my bedroom window yelling some crap into the phone.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 1 (view)

"Biting my Tongue" to avoid conflict.
Posted: 3/28/2008 9:54:48 AM
I need some advice about my relationship with my neighbors.

I moved into an apartment complex, four months ago, which is about 50% Spanish, 30% Black, and 20% White. Come to find out, there is a lot of crime here. As I quickly became victim to a purse-snatching. (Someone came into my apartment and grabbed it).

The apartment complex manager reported it to the Neighborhood Crime Watch Officers, and they took a report. Later, my purse showed back up thrown out by the dumpster. Money gone, but got the rest of my belongings back.

So, to make a long story short, one day the cops were near my apartment investigating another crime, and I introduced my neighbor, Richard, to the female cop whom I know from the purse investigation.

Later, after the action calmed down, Richard came over and said "What the f---
did you tell them my name for? Don't ever tell anyone ANYTHING about me."

Now, his girlfriend, keeps getting in my face and calling me a cop lover and a cracker. (she wasn't even there, by the way).

I've tried to explain to them that I am not a "narc",,,but she has a big, bossy mouth and won't listen.

Consequently, they have made my life miserable, by telling all the black people I am a narc, and to stay away from her. And, they continually taunt me.

They're making me feel awful, and I don't wanna call the cops, because then I really would be a "cop lover and a cracker".

And since when did this become a racial issue anyway? Help. I am not fighting back. Just biting my tongue and laying low.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 80 (view)

I'm Dyin Here...
Posted: 3/24/2008 10:48:48 AM
That is SO TRUE, Ken,,,,,what fun it would have been to be a little mouse in the corner watching the whole scene transpire!
Sounds like a sit com!

(No offense, Bunny, but it is sort of funny!)
 Scottsmom
Msg: 69 (view)

I'm Dyin Here...
Posted: 3/24/2008 8:48:30 AM
I dunno, I knew a man who was "half-way" through his journey of becoming a woman, and we used to hang out a lot. His name was Ricky, but he became Vicky, and she was shunned by everyone in town, except for a handful of us who looked beyond that and into her personality. She actually was a blast. Never came onto me, just was my friend.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 66 (view)

Teenage Wasteland
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:30:09 PM
Great song!

Thank God for that song!

Scottsmom
Msg: 139 (view)

I told my son (9) I pay his child support
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:28:04 PM
Yeah, Guy,,,,,what is the deal there? LOL.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 36 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/21/2008 10:07:53 PM
Hi, Alley.

Thanks for your feedback. Funny you should mention scrapbooking, because I was gifted many different logos, etc. for Christmas.

Someone must have thought that I REALLY needed, and maybe even want , to get involved with that, and organize my old, broken down picture albums.

But, I cannot find the motivation. I have about $300 dollars worth of really nice decals, tape, etc...still fresh and new.. I can't believe I haven't gotten it out.

Maybe that will help.

***********BIG HELLO out to BELLE! How are you tonight, Sweetie? Hope all is good in Ireland!*****************

Thank you.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 30 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/18/2008 7:08:31 PM
Hey, Ron, thanks for the feedback. Scott was very involved in school too,,,Basketball, extra-curricular activities, friends with all the cheerleaders, etc. He was very popular, as your son was, and I have had a constant stream of kids through my house for years. It is soooooooooo quiet now. It's oppressive.

You say what you miss most is being involved in all that he did, and you said you were even sitting there now with a tear in your eye thinking about him. That is so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 27 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/18/2008 7:16:42 AM
So, I got this idea that since it is Easter on Sunday, I would send him an Easter basket full of candy in the mail.

He's never too old for jelly beans, is he?
 Scottsmom
Msg: 137 (view)

Posted: 3/18/2008 6:00:55 AM
WTF? $3,685 in child support!? Either you have a very good job, or a whole lot of kids!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 131 (view)

Posted: 3/17/2008 5:49:48 AM
In Nebraska, where I was divorced, child support was based on how much money we were each individually making at the time. And at that time, I was making more,,,maybe about 55%. And my ex-husband was bringing in about 45% of our annual income.

When he got a better paying job, I could have taken him back and had it adjusted, but never did.

If" child support is designed to cover all expenses other than toys and treats"............. it falls VERY short, in most cases.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 128 (view)

Posted: 3/16/2008 9:19:24 AM
Yeah, my ex-husband's child support was a "measley" $227 a month, and he couldn't even keep up with that. Was constantly changing jobs so the courts couldn't find him and garnish it.

$227 a month? OMG. That didn't even cover child care costs.

In fact, he is still delinquent, and Scott is 21.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 23 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/16/2008 9:16:04 AM
Thank you.

That was very inspirational.

You should be a writer, Belle, if you aren't already!

Scottsmom
Msg: 20 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/15/2008 4:00:42 PM
OK, So now I am REALLY weird.

I ran out of my Secret Deodorant Stick. So,,I used Scott's Mennen Speedstick Ultra Blue #4 that he had left behind when he moved out.

I don't normally stink,,,but, anyway, I used it,,,and that reminded me of him and made me cry AGAIN! (will it ever stop?)

Now, every time I smell my armpits,,,I am reminded of his ever-so-lovely presence.

Hey, I remember the fragrance "Chancellor" choked me up for five years or more. Something my ex boyfriend used to wear.

Scottsmom
Msg: 18 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/15/2008 7:29:02 AM
This is a quote my mother passed onto me, after I told her how much I miss him.

"Ships are safe in the harbor..................but that's not why ships are built!"
 Scottsmom
Msg: 123 (view)

Posted: 3/14/2008 2:23:28 PM
I think it is important that children know where the child support money should go, and how it should be spent.

Tell me? Does your 9 yr old still believe in Santa?

Because that is what my ex would play.
"Santa".
Deadbeat the rest of the year.

My ex would send lots of gifts from "Dad, and Santa". For temporary father relief., I guess. It was a facsade.

Too bad I didn't have the money to buy the scooter, or skateboard,,,but I had to pay THE ELECTRIC BILL this month. Because someone fell behind on child support again. It was Santa Claus AGAIN.

(OK, Scottsmom,,,calm down...., He's 21 now. GET OVER IT! Take a chill pill!)

Scottsmom
Msg: 14 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/14/2008 9:39:27 AM
Browneyedbelle, you made me cry.

That was absolutely beautiful what you said. "Instead of seeing the end of "Scottsmom" and the beginning of "Nobody's Mom" find "Mom of Scott".
The mom of a well mannered, cared for young man who is now going to help him into and through his adulthood as well as you did with his childhood.

So right! And nice to hear from you again, Packagedeal! I like your ideas like dance lessons, and even sponsoring another child in some aspect. I was giving Big Brother/Big Sister some thought yesterday.

Thanks to all who keep writing.

And you're right,,,,it's much better to be alone than with the wrong man.

P.S. Wanderbaby, I used to change the furniture around every time my first husband and I argued,,,pretty soon, I was rearranging every day, and realized it was time for a divorce! (that's why your suggestion struck me as funny).
But it is a good one too!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 7 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/12/2008 4:30:57 PM
Change the house around and paint the walls. LMAO.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 5 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/11/2008 4:36:30 PM
He always got the girls.

Don't know how he did it.

It WASN"T by mowing the lawn.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 3 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/11/2008 4:26:45 PM
Hey, Doc. .....Thanks for your response.

I love these words you wrote about your daughter leaving for the summers. You miss her a lot and wonder what she is doing.

You said: "I get lonely, and the silence seems oppressive".

That's EXACTLY what IT IS.

Oppressive.

IT IS TOO QUIET AROUND HERE! We need some excitement.
How about a rock band?

How about a hamburger or two for you and your friends....or better yet,,,how about a cheerleader try-out, or a basketball game?

Damn.

I MISS MY KID.

Thanks for your feedback. I feel better now.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 1 (view)

I MISS MY KID.
Posted: 3/11/2008 3:55:51 PM
I am thinking of changing my screenname to "Nobody's Mom". tonight, so I thought I would talk to you all about it.

This could very well be rated as an "Empty Nest Syndrome" forum. Which would be redundant in the Moderator's eyes. But,,,I haven't instigated a forum for a long, long time, maybe 2 yrs. And I am hoping for some positive feedback from both former, and new POF people.

So,,,here it goes.

Scott went away to college and found a girlfriend, who I absolutely ADORE.
But, my house feels a little lonesome................NO, A LOT lonesome. It is too quiet here. I know, I may be on a pity-pot,,,but Damnit,.,,,it's my turn! LOL

I MISS MY KID.

E-mail and phone is great,,,,however, it's not the same. And I wonder if I am sane, because sometimes I talk to him, as if he is sitting on the couch. (His natural position, as a teenager, anyway). Sometimes I wish he was playing videogames and laying around, so I could tell him NOT to. I wish I could tell him to mow the lawn, and answer the phone, and take the dog for a walk.

I MISS MY KID!

I can do anything I want to do,,,,right? I am finally single and free, and, no more kiddo,,,,,,,,,,BUT

Nope, I'm sulking. Life is OVER at 47. RIP, Scottsmom.

"Get a dog" is usually what people say. LOL No. Especially NOT a PUPPY.
Puppy-poopy is not on the adgenda. That would be an entirely different thread.

Hey, guys and gals! Is it NORMAL to talk to someone on your couch who isn't REALLY THERE?

Help.

Love,
"Nobody's Mom"
 Scottsmom
Msg: 99 (view)

Women: Would you continue to date him if...
Posted: 2/1/2008 11:56:19 AM
I, personally, don't like dating more than one guy at any given time. Too gross swapping spit.

However, I think date 4 is plenty to know whether or not this guy is even interested in exclusivity. Good luck!
 Scottsmom
Msg: 26 (view)

Sex with a full bladder
Posted: 2/1/2008 11:50:59 AM
Sex on a full bladder does not give you a better orgasm.

It will only give you a urinary tract infection.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 180 (view)

What to do when a guy says it's between you and someone else?
Posted: 1/29/2008 3:39:53 PM
I say, "Choose, already!"
 Scottsmom
Msg: 158 (view)

Posted: 1/24/2008 8:41:10 PM
Exclusivity.

Ranks right up there with the other word that starts with an "L".

Or at least a step closer to it.

Try getting a guy to mumble either word! Good luck.

Scottsmom
Msg: 18 (view)

Is the Internet a breeding ground and magnet for the mentally ill?
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:06:17 PM
You really think the range is for every ten you will find three

Three posters who come out of the woodwork to agree with that person and wonder about the future of mankind?

30% is pretty optimistic, I think. I feel it is much lower,,,maybe 10%

And how about that ghost date, Sunny? Would you go?
 Scottsmom
Msg: 37 (view)

Overly Suspicious Because of Inet Dating Experiences?
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:01:37 PM
Thanks for the inspiring words, Estrada. Always better to look at the brighter, more positive side of life. I'm sure there are good guys out there.
 Scottsmom
Msg: 17 (view)

Is the Internet a breeding ground and magnet for the mentally ill?
Posted: 1/24/2008 5:56:19 PM
You guys are hilarious. I love hearing this chit-chat.

Anyone hunted any ghosts lately? A guy wants to take me on a date there. Says he's been doing it for over ten years. I would LOVE it!

That would be a scarey first date! LITERALLY

So,,, what does one wear to such an affair?" Have to think about that one. Something black,,,,no, white definately better if you're hunting ghosts,,,,,oh,,,,maybe black.

I'd be like,,,"Oh, excuse me , honey, I thought I heard my dead father say hello,,,so I snorted his ashes,,,and I know he wouldn't have minded, cuz he was cool. (Keith Richards).

No, we're ALL Normal on this thing!

"A Breeding Ground for the Mentally Ill. "

LMAO
 Scottsmom
Msg: 156 (view)

Posted: 1/24/2008 5:44:13 PM
LMAO,,,he actually says to you..................."Well, it's between you and someone else......we'll get back to you", like we're on some friggin' JOB INTERVIEW here?

"Oh well,,,,thank you for your interest,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll just be going now"

Met a guy or two like him, myself. Gives you a "List" of his priorities.

I'm saying "Hey, I got my own list,,,,!" "Wanna' see it?"

I'm 47. Too old for that crap.

Good luck with that one.

Show ALL Forums