Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What's really stopping you from having a successful relationship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 afashionlady
Msg: 69
What's really stopping you from having a successful relationship?Page 4 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

So, what's stopping you? And then what's really stopping you?

Hmmm...time (work too much). Distance...many of the men I think are interesting or could be don't live close enough and LDRs are hard to do.

What's REALLY stopping me? Fear of success...not fear of failure. I've already failed at relationships (otherwise I wouldn't be still single and here right?) and so now it's the fear of what if it really does work?? Having never lived with a man before, my expectations are probably different...actually I don't have that many. My baggage, as it were, may be different than a guy who's been married and divorced or divorced for a long time. And for many men, they're not into chunky girls...which is their right. I see men here would I'd be compatible with and have even messaged...but either my color or my size doesn't work for them, so they don't answer. (shrugs)

Good question...I've read this one for awhile and didn't respond before...but you know what? It's a good, honest question that deserved a good, honest answer.

Thanks...
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 70
view profile
History
What's really stopping you from having a successful relationship?
Posted: 6/13/2008 10:43:46 PM
What's really stopping me from having a successful relationship?

Hmmm...because I won't just "settle" for whatever comes along. I know what I want and what I do not want thanks to past relationships. IF I meet a man who compliments my life as I would his, provides a little intelectual mystery, and excepts me for who I am faults and all (as I would him) THEN I'll have a successful relationship.

Brat
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:33:06 AM
I've found that I can meet a man at a party or a pub, and he'll spend the evening chatting me up ... then I invite him to go to church with me. It's amazing how fast they disappear!

Saves me a lot of time and energy, I guess, to weed out the non-keepers with a simple invite.
 TravelingHomebody
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:38:01 AM

REALLY STOPPING ME:
- money. I’ve been self employed doing the same thing for 35 years.

Maybe you're dating the wrong woman. I find a guy who is willing to do what he loves, even when he's not getting rich doing it, far more attractive than a guy who makes a lot of money but does something that does nothing to contribute to the world.

When I see commercials sometimes (Like for those new Ritz crackers that have a pretzel on the other side) I will think that it's really, really sad that somebody spends his life coming up with snack food gimmicks, and somebody else spends his life coming up with ways to sell snack food gimmicks. I'd not really want to date either of them, however much money they're making, unless I found out that they were spending all that money sponsoring Mercy Ships volunteers or something. I'd rather have a poor guy with integrity than a rich guy who is materialistic.
 WeAre1
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 3:32:03 PM
After 'battling', I mean discussing in great detail the issue of are US men being taken for granted these last several weeks, and reaching a sort of impasse now - I have clarified something I didn't really realize before....

Another thing that is stopping me is I am fearing men do not really love women anymore.....it really sounds like from so many forums here that many men have had more pain than pleasure in and after their relationships and do not really like women anymore.

And yet, I still do believe in love......deep down I still have faith love enters one's life when it is meant to....and how it is mean to.....

So, I'm also feeling sometimes it is not completely in one's control when a relationship will enter your life......so I'd also answer my own question here with life itself is stopping me from having a 'successful' relationship when there are other things I must be working on - like myself, my work, my children, my studies, etc.....
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 74
Posted: 6/17/2008 4:36:14 PM
Another thing that is stopping me is I am fearing men do not really love women anymore.....it really sounds like from so many forums here that many men have had more pain than pleasure in and after their relationships and do not really like women anymore.

I can sure relate to that.... I have gotten the distinct impression that many women don't like men anymore.

I was jaded when I discovered the fora, but I'm pretty sure I'm more jaded after hanging out here for a while.

zangie
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 4:42:01 PM

I was jaded when I discovered the fora, but I'm pretty sure I'm more jaded after hanging out here for a while.

Yes...and are we silly for keeping around when it has this effect on us? Like weareone..I am also really terrified that men just don't like us anymore..and I never felt this at all till the forums..

Maybe the forums are keeping me from a successful relationship?...lol..
 WeAre1
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 6:36:45 PM

"....All this .......... illusion ..... that is what is stopping people from having a sucessful relationship....."

indeed, OMO, thank you for reminding us it's all illusion here.....although it's real people posting, I think (and I refuse to agree - it's not just the deadbeat leftovers here...lol!)

but zangie - I totally agree the forums themselves are stopping us - for sure - for all the time they take when I get stuck in them! (so addictive at times!!)....and for all the energy they take....and for all the thinking in my head and typing with my fingers and sitting on my ass they take!!!!

and then, just like in 'real' life, someone comes along and says something that truly inspires me, or makes me think about something I hadn't before, and then I'm grateful......for those moments the veil of illusion lifts and I can see we're all just people sharing our views.

arlo? (yes weare1)....i totally agree - not settling is a good thing....and ....yes, if only there was something on the horizon to not settle for!

EDIT to add: sorry, dear OMO .....of course, solemnly corrects her post - we are the left -behinds, not the left -overs. But, really, OMO, I don't feel that at all. I choose to be single now. I was the one that literally left my last and most recent relationship......and I was the one that ended my last significant 6 year relationship also - - hmmm, that's right, my long relationships were before an online dating site came into my focus and since then, the few men I've gotten romantically involved with for the last several years have only lasted months, not years.....

ok, gotta go now and think why that is.....'fraid to admit could i also suffer like others here complaining that there is too much choice? hmmm, no, i don't feel there's that much choice....much more so, it 's what i started this post with - finding someone I am attracted to and compatible with (who feels attracted and compatible with me too) and now I know - they have to actually like me too!! Um, finding someone I won't settle for is very challenging.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/17/2008 7:23:16 PM
I like this post...very interesting read...thank you, WeAre1 for posting such! :O)

Some of the things that have stopped me:

Many moons ago, it was having four young children & finding a GOOD man who had the gonads to stick around for such. As my children grew...I was more able to empathize with the whole "fear of children" thing because now, I do not want involvement with someone with younger children or who, God forbids, still wants children. (I am not going to be responsible for keeping someone from being a parent if that is their desire!)

I also have learned so much about what I will NOT accept or settle for...that I have a tendency of losing touch with the good qualities, while paranoia kicks in searching for the bad ones. In other words...I psychoanalyze to a point where I make myself crazy! (I am only half exaggerating here!)

When I am in something good...& I have stopped searching for those ^^above mentioned faults or character flaws...I love...& I love hard. I am a very giving person...& it is my natural tendency to be such. This can be in reference to emotionally, physically, mentally, every-ally! ;O) Sometimes a guy can feel overwhelmed by such...but most often, he feels guilty for not "giving as much" to the relationship, & instead of trying to do such, he bolts. Perhaps this is why so many men I become involved with, tend to miss what they gave up, after the fact? Which would lead in to another one of my things stopping me...I do not give second chances.

So what's realllly stopping me?

I have been truly in love, two times. Two great loves in my life of nearly 42 years, and neither was the man I married. Both share a lot of the same character/personality traits, as well as the same flaws, which were acceptable ones, to me. Because these men were so alike in so many ways, I find I can click with someone new on a bevy of different levels...sexual, mental, intellectual, humor, attraction, chemical, goals, values, etc...but NONE of them possess all of those traits, like they did. I'm sort of spoiled on what I had?!

So I guess I won't be happy until I find someone that is like them...and this does not mean I am "hung up on" or "not ready" to move on...it just means that once you have had the most incredible love that there is, you ARE sub-consciously comparing. You ARE sub-consciously seeking their clone, to some degree. It's really no different than being widowed from a perfectly satisfying marriage...seeking out someone similar to what...worked. ;o)
 bellazingara
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 8:08:13 PM
Finding someone who I'm crazy about who is crazy about me. Someone who I'm on the same page with. Not everyone in my age range is in the same life stage and/or wants similar things. I'm not going to compromise the things that are important to me in order to be in a relationship.
 Fifi47
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/18/2008 1:31:55 AM
Middle aged men seem really into appearance as being the most important thing. I know attraction is important, but I cannot relate since I find so many men attractive and if he is shorter than I might want or larger or smaller or whatever those are not deal breakers usually and men just toss so many women aside since we are not 5'5'' -5'8'' and weigh 120 pounds with a proportioned body and all of their interests. These men are sad to me, they wonder why women are not clamoring to be with them when they seem so shallow, and they didn't seem to learn from previous marriages that it takes more than a certain appearance to make or break a relationship.
 Fifi47
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:00:53 AM
Who says women are unattractive? We aren't , we are just not beauty queen models and the men need to realize that they are not going to find some gorgeous woman when they are not all that and a bag of chips themselves. Call it what you like, I call it unrealistic, immature and shallow.
 WeAre1
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:40:33 AM
Ahhh, capitano -

me:
you:
I can sure relate to that.... I have gotten the distinct impression that many women don't like men anymore.

I was afraid when I wrote my fears that it would be reciprocated with men feeling the same about women.....that we don't like you anymore either....
And the feeling of being even more jaded hanging out here - yes....although obviously those who express their views here are the more outspoken and I'm hoping do not really convey the whole spectrum of humanity that is on this site and in real life! And, thankfully, there are several outspoken ones who also speak of their wonderful relationships and they are truly inspiring to me.
Many complain, yes, but deep down, as I tried to find out on that other thread, is everyone really giving up and believing the genders just don't admire or like or, ultimately, can't love each other any more?
Hmmmm......I pray that is not the case, or it seems there is little hope for any of us to be here on this site or any other, or in real life also thinking we might meet someone who might become a special person in our hearts and lives...... unless of course we are only here to spout words, but not actually apply our 'theories'.
I feel that love is still possible, absolutely, between the sexes.
I believe that in order for us to find love, we must be loving and lovable.
I also think in order to be respected, we must respect others and also ourselves.
Perhaps, too, it's not so much who or how we pursue, but sometimes that someone finds you.
Someone asked on another thread not so long ago, are we afraid to love?
And to extend that idea - are we afraid to do the work it takes to keep loving another? And to help the other keep loving us?
I know I've given up before and chosen to start again instead of hang in there till the end.....gosh, what an assumption to make to think there would be another one day to start again with....
Well, as I've said before, I also do believe we are in relationship when we are meant to be, and not in relationship also when we are meant to - when we are working on other things or on ourselves to help us become more loving and lovable, and understanding and empathetic, and more respectful in the deepest and truest sense.
I do think we might all be stopping ourselves from having successful relationships - that somewhere in all of us who are not, that we made a choice not to be.....even if it means going back the the beginning and choosing relationships and partners that would not be 'successful' - or long lasting, or ultimately fulfilling, or whatever definition you think of for 'success'....
and yet there is absolute purpose to all we go through - i really believe the purpose is to experience whatever they were/are meant to teach us....so, in fact, I do feel all our relationships, even the most painful ones, are huge teachers for us....all guiding us on our path of love...with ourselves and each other......so when the next one does appear, (hopefully), we might be really ready for it finally.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:50:10 AM
Brown Eyed Woman....

That is very wonderfully said..and I could not agree more! Add what SHE said to my post and I think I have "figgered" myself out! ;)
 sriannaailyim
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:21:03 AM
What is stopping me is what I am seeking- I have that dilemma-
Those you want, don't want you and those you don't want are EVERYWHERE!
 WeAre1
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:04:39 AM
ahhh ^^...thank you for your honesty. it has moved me so and i can relate...most can, i think. we can't go back, and still being back there in the present is keeping us from moving into the future - without bringing the past with us.
it is a dilemma for sure.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/18/2008 10:51:15 AM

There's the fact that I don't put on a shiny veneer during the courting phase. It's not like I'm bellowing farts during noon tea time, but I refuse to pretend to be something that I'm not.

HCL...but that is EXACTLY what most women WANT. Is to not have the bogus facade in the beginning...only to see their true colors popping out later. What you see, is what you get...from the get-go!

I have seen men (and I am pretty certain women-folk do it too...but I don't date them!) present themselves to be everything they THINK we want...and maybe it IS...but if it is not who they truly are, then what's the freakin' use? So obvious it is like, DER OH...but yet, it still happens.

Karikinetic...yours was one of the most brutally honest posts I have skimmed through! And applies to what HCL said, as well since you are trying to be someone who you think is adequate. YOU might think you are inadequate...but I know there is someone who thinks you are da' bomb! ;O)

WeAre1...bringing the past with us is not always a bad thing, in moderation. :O) I mean, when we experience something negative in relationships...we learn...we recognize that it is unacceptable...so why can't we also learn from the positives of the past as well? I had this...I will NOT accept anything less.
 WeAre1
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 11:27:25 AM
life of l: you say:
You know what's really annoying about this thread? The presumption that if you're not having "a successful relationship" (whatever that is) that there's something, some invisible malevolent force, actively "stopping you". I find this entire framework highly questionable, and of limited utility besides. Especially seeing as how only certain answers are deemed acceptable.

I'm sorry you are finding this thread really annoying. It was not the intention. It was just something obvious (to me only) as a question that has had me thinking and really reflecting, that's all. If it resonates as something in you, fine...if not, fine. No one is making you respond.

Ok - I guess, now I've said that, maybe I should add what I meant by the question. I have many many times already said what my ideas of the word 'successful' mean and many times I have said that is up to the poster to interpret however they wish....what ever you believe it might mean for you - something along the lines of positive, is what i had in mind...very positive, even.....really wonderful is really what i had in mind when i used that word. :)

I did not think of any malevolent force when I've been writing my ideas. If I say there is a time for something to happen and a time for it not to - or what's meant to be, or not, does not mean to me I am not responsible for my own choices - ultimately.
Do I believe in destiny? Is that what you are trying to say or suggest? I'm not sure at all, actually about that. I think we create our reality and if there is some malevolent force guiding us - well, so be it. It does not seem to do a whole lot that is apparent to me and much more so I feel I HAVE to take responsibility for my choices and my life, because if it's not mine, who's is it?

Regarding your last point 'only certain answers are deemed acceptable' - again, i'm sorry you feel that way, if it appears like that. I have not had the time to respond to every single post and it seemed like I was trying to in the beginning, but it was not necessary at all, like in any thread. What happened was I ended up responding to ones that I felt I wanted to respond to - like every forum poster and their choices of when to say what they do, or who to. Truly, I am not that close minded or hearted to decide only some anwers are acceptable. (And your thinking that of me is a bit disturbing actually, but that is your choice, of course.)

So, I started this thread simply with the hope that perhaps it might help each one who chose to respond (or not), a chance to do some self reflection and see if there was anything that clarified for them....like harleykat - her response was great and so fulfilled what i was hoping for anyone here, or out there.

It does not mean that I view any response more or less valid than any other, even if some resonate more with my own experience or views, that's all. I totally feel they are all valid.
And the other poster talking about my refererence to the past? Oh, I see my whole life as my treasure of learning - especially the pain - I have worked many years to be really grateful for it - it was just my heart went out to that poster that was saying his past love was really preventing him from finding love in the present - and i could relate for I have past love that is not with me too....but I do not have regret, as he said - i have gratitude because, again, I believe it all is as it is meant to be - my past love(s) taught me so much - they taught me how to love and to be loved. And that was the gift. Nothing is forever....they taught me that too.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:43:52 PM

The men I meet say they want one...but as soon as you voice a different opinion or something equally silly they run for the hills...they claim it's a red flag.

Having silly opinions about things IS a red flag.

Communication!!!

I find it hard to meet men who really know what a relationship is.

Ah, yes, the obligatory blame the guy for some deficiency.

I always love the communication deficiency. Women tend to think that incessant talk is communication. What I've found is that women are nowhere NEARLY the great communicators they think they are.

But, you are correct that communication IS something that makes connecting difficult. Rather than assuming that men's way is flawed, perhaps more women ought to look to their OWN means and ways of communicating.

WeAre1
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 7:40:07 AM
^^
"....But, you are correct that communication IS something that makes connecting difficult. Rather than assuming that men's way is flawed, perhaps more women ought to look to their OWN means and ways of communicating."

I agree, Capitano, and I believe that advice can be used whenever we find fault in another - that first we ought to check within as honestly as we can, if we also suffer from that same fault - for sometimes, unknowningly or unconsciously, we might project something of ourselves onto the other - positive or negative - and then it's hard to tell who actually has 'the issue' more.....

I am thinking, perhaps this human tendency to project onto others and not see our own faults, or distortions, or areas that need work in our selves (popularly termed 'denial'), can be a great challenge in communication and, ultimately, part of the breakdown of some relationships.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/15/2009 6:42:41 PM
Honestly? (nooo...tell me some lies!)

Comparing any new prospects to my ex-BF. I had what I felt was THE perfect thing and now I subconsciously compare those characteristics and qualities to every man I date. And no one matches up or even comes remotely close to that...perfection. (Not HIM being perfection...but what we shared together.) And I refuse to settle for less.
 nobrumski
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:18:46 PM
I am stopping me.

I have too many issues and I wouldn't date me. When I used to date, it was only because the girl wanted to go out with me and she was fun and attractive enough. After my last relationship ended, I realized this was what I was doing so I stopped dating.
 kpooks
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2009 9:55:32 PM
What stopped us? Both of us not wanting to make US a priority.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/18/2009 3:23:31 PM

What stops me is the fact that I keep dating girls who try to force me to give up my hobbies, interest, and personal space.

Exactly. I am stopped from having a successful relationship by men who refuse to accomodate another person in his life, without compromise.
"THIS is how I am, accept it." Uh, no. It doesn't work that way in the long-term.
 WeAre1
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 3:03:57 AM
What a surprise to see this thread arise again....glad to see some are using it to do some introspecting.....not so sure about those who are preaching to others and telling them what's acceptable and what is not.....re: the beating a subject to death point....for it is just as much an imbalance to not wish to talk about things as it is to talk about them too much.....but more on that below.....

I think there are vital basic issues that seem to be common factors in much of what people are saying....

Compatibility - it seems unless we are paying extra close attention to who the other person really is, and not just seeing them for who we wish them to be - sometimes we might choose not to see who they really are and not honor there are signs that show incompatibility before you fall in love......so perhaps an attachment to wanting a relationship might over-ride reality that the other person is not really compatible with you....or you with them.

Communication - so vital, but you don't learn good communication, it seems, until you learn what not to do....or so it seems to me. I know I had terrible role models in my parents on how to communicate effectively, especially when there are disagreements or painful and emotional issues.

I would wish we all had communication skills as part of our school curriculum....I think this would help all relationships and the chances of relationships continuing to be loving and fulfilling for all involved....includng relationships with children/parents/siblings/co-workers/bosses/employees, etc.....

Expectations - It seems to me we all do this, and it's a lesson for us all - we must see when we are expecting from another what we are not capable of offering or being ourselves. So, an example would be the beating the subject to death issue - just as you want the other to honor your wishes and not continue to talk about something because you seriously need a break to reflect within yourself, it is equally understandable that the one who needs to understand things on a deeper level because they really can't let go so easily needs to discuss the matter further. Both people need to find a way that allows for each other's needs to be honored.....somehow find a way so both feel heard and respected...

Guess it comes down to communication again....and compatibility....and something one wise woman on these forums wrote last year and it still is with me....

Sometimes we just must make the choice to not be 'right' for the sake of the other person's needs......when you can see that if you continue to discuss something and the other person obviously has had enough, or is asking you to give it a break - then to honor their wishes is your choice - but it also might be they are offering a space for both to do some introspection....to clarify....a breather to reflect....

Perhaps it is wise to remember we all are teachers (and students) of each other.....

Other random thoughts on what might help relationships -

Honor the needs of the relationship and the other person equally with your own needs.

Learn some self-observation so one can see where our ego's can be quite determined and quite destructive to ourselves and each other and our relationships. That point of wanting to be 'right'.

My prayer is we find in and out of our relationships that they are an incredible tool for growth - they speed up the process of learning, but they are not easy.....

I pray we can all find the blessings in relationships that are there for us. And the blessings when we are not in relationship.....for quite often, I have found, not being in a romantic relationship is when I've been in a successful relationship....one with my Self.

Balance - that is the other really vital part of all relationships, in my opinion - balancing all the needs of each person and all people the relationship effects. Much easier said than done, but is essential, for anything unstable and unbalanced will eventually fall over.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What's really stopping you from having a successful relationship?