Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abelian
Msg: 68
Does intelligence turn you on?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
It's definitley a turn on as long as the guy doesn't shove it in my face or be 'matter of fact' 24/7. One can be too intelligent, and then it goes from being hot to being annoying.

So basically, intelligence is not a turn on. What is a turn on is someone who is of approximately the same intelligence. What I get from reading the majority of the replies in this thread is that everyone wants to think of jim/herself as intelligent so he/she claim to be attracted to intelligent people and at the same time reject people who are ``too'' intelligent by characterizing it negatively as arrogance.
 lucilou
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Does intelligence turn you on?
Posted: 6/15/2008 5:34:01 AM
It's a major turn for me.
Brain + great personality= big major turn on
Body fitness + good looks= big major turn on
Good heart + good attitudes = big major turn on
Faithfulness + honesty= big major turn on
Passion + romantic = execellent love making lol
Money + all the above = are what we all been looking for in a realtionship.
 Fifi47
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/15/2008 7:03:58 AM
I agree, the know it alls quickly get on my nerves. I love your name, since Breakfast At Tiffany's is one of my favorite movies.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/15/2008 10:11:44 AM
I am incredibly attracted to intelligent men. It's a weakness for me.
 abelian
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/16/2008 4:13:11 PM

Signs of intelligence are complex and yet unique to each individual. Basically, an intelligent person is mostly honest, knowledgeable, confident, thinks and says the right things at the right times and places... it speaks loud about perception and sharp senses.

Actually, the part about being confident is not true. A research article in the APA journal a few years ago showed that the people who were the most confident in their abilities were those who were too stupid to realize they weren't very good at something. The smartest people in the group (a large number of university students) consistently rated their abilities as average. In other words, smarter people understand thier limits better, know when they don't know something which is usually seen as a laclk of confidence.
 Beminetonight
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2008 4:59:43 PM
"I wouldn't know, never met a woman smarter than me !"

Maybe you did, but she was gone before you knew it.

It's interesting to see that everyone posting in this thread is using capital letters properly. People on their best behavior?
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/16/2008 5:08:19 PM
Intellect is my numero uno desire in a mate! :O)

And I do not neccesarily mean he has to have a PhD...life smarts, street smarts, book smarts, people smarts....all are very stimulating in the right dosage!

Now my mother's husband is a perfect example of how intellect goes wrong...very wrong! LOL He is a Physicist and dude cannot have a normal conversation without droning on and on about something that puts you to sleep! I mean, the simplest conversation turns into a drawn out explanation...and this sort usually have no sense of humor!
 fancynanci
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2008 5:21:45 PM
Intelligence is a HUGE turn-on for me....but you have to see the whole picture - and be compatible with every part of someone, not just their brain.
 abelian
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/17/2008 8:21:06 AM

Now my mother's husband is a perfect example of how intellect goes wrong...very wrong! LOL He is a Physicist and dude cannot have a normal conversation without droning on and on about something that puts you to sleep! I mean, the simplest conversation turns into a drawn out explanation...and this sort usually have no sense of humor!

As a member of the class of offenders you mentioned, let me suggest that what he does for a living has bo connection with him being boring or lacking a sense of humor (if those are in fact, true.) Read some of Richard Feynman's books. On the other hand, I have found that out here in the ``real world''' (as opposed to academic land) there are lots and lots of people who have no interest in anything, so it's often not possible to talk about anything but the weather without being tedious.
 Boricua Papi
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/17/2008 11:16:31 AM
jerseygirl2008

i'm very inteligent, educated and smart. i love to have intelugnet conversations with women, i am your type of man? , please say yes!
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 1:01:33 PM
Yes intelligence is a big turn on!
 orchidtigress
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/8/2008 5:53:11 PM
Absolutely- intelligence turns me on! I love when a guy can teach me things and challenge me. Don't be intimidated-We all have something to learn from each other as everyone is a student/teacher.
 lateef7842
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:40:06 PM

I dated this really intelligent girl ... felt a bit intimidated. I know it is kind of old school but I did not want to date her again ... frequency mismatch I suppose. Was it foolish of me?

Two words; Man up.

Lateef
 lateef7842
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2008 11:27:41 AM
A smart, capable woman is very sexy too me. However, smart doesn't always mean educated. I love educated women. But if she doesn't have common sense, then thats a turn off.

Lateef
 mthomjmark
Msg: 120
Posted: 7/13/2008 3:09:19 PM
wow; you should never feel that way; there are some brilliant female minds and I love them. Its fun to talk to someone and even be humbled at times due to their intelligence.

What most women want is respect and honesty and to be loved. It takes a very secure man to be able to have someone that smart and if you are secure, you will have no problems with it. Dumbing someone because they are smart, is dumb!;)
 Vannili
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:00:27 PM
Intelligence turns me on, but it defends ,if a person is flauting his knowledge on spaceship etc.. his schools,his career non stop and I have to listen to it that I can't participate on talking ,I 'll be intimidated too. No it was not foolish of you to be intimidated. And it is too bad for that girl ,if she use her emotional intelligence to have a good vibes with you ,she'd find her happiness in you. I don't blame you if you don't want to go out with her again. But don't get discourage,there are a lot of girls out there. Good Luck. Vannili
 Vannili
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:08:28 PM
Hi L.D. Dating is a social matter,having a nice friendly conversation to know each other, if you want a woman who wants to outsmart you in conversation and make you like a dumb azz you should date a feminist.......... Vannili
 itsjustme328
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/13/2008 4:08:48 PM
is it normal for a guy to get intimidated by the intelligence of a girl?

I thought men outgrew this nonsense by age 22 or so.

Personally, I love intelligent men and I'm not intimidated at all when I meet a man who's more intelligent than I am. They're easy to spot as they stand out among those who think like the OP.

(I know.....I'm not being nice, but how do you expect me to respond to this?)
 Rythmn
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2008 10:26:44 PM
i may have answered this a while back, but it called to me again and the answer for today is "YES". well, it may not draw me in, but it is necessary to sustain me. by this, i don't mean degrees or lots of facts--i guess i am just hoping to me someone "wise". to me, that is a guarantee for emotional security and spiritual connection-- and, that kind of "clicking" opens doors to many different aspects of both physical and mental expression and offers infinite possibilities. dare i to dream?
 flyingiguana
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 8:09:50 PM
intelligence makes a girl 10x more attractive. something thats hard to tell online tho
 Dynamic0003
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:48:39 PM
Intelligence is a wonderful aspect in any relationship. Inspiration or appreciation

of a project or conversation is always another dimension to a conversation.

Don't mean to be talking in rhyme, it is 12:45 a.m. and am getting sleepy, however,

this is a great topic. Neither man or woman should overdo their intelligence, I

feel the perfect combination is having intelligence with knowing you can be humble

as well, and not make the other partner feel inferior. It is wonderful to learn from

each other!
 Fifi47
Msg: 131
Posted: 8/16/2008 5:40:20 AM
Intelligence is a major turn on to me. I prefer to date career men, which encompasses many types of professions. I just do not do well with men who have had a multiple of low paying jobs and who have no retirement, am not going to take care of him in his old age since I have tried to plan for my future.
 Dynamic0003
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:22:48 AM
Couldn't agree with you more, not looking for a man to support, and vice- versa,
as I've also worked hard to be independent.
Intelligence makes the world go around, especially a sharp wit, a great sence
of humour! is a great gift! What a combination!
 1frantastic
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2008 10:57:52 AM
Intelligence can be further broken down to "street smarts"..."book smarts"...and "common sense".....and of course "emotional intelligence" which without causes MANY relationships of all kinds to fail...
But..."general..overall intelligence" is VERY SEXY"! The largest sex organ of all is THE BRAIN...some just don't know how to use it....
 RLC89
Msg: 137
Posted: 6/1/2009 6:10:00 PM
Yes it does!

I think the problem with me though is, I want an intelligent man (as I believe I am pretty darn intelligent myself), but I don't want someone who expects to sit around and talk on a subject (politics, religion, abortion, astronomy, etc) for hours at a time. I know about the stuff...but I absolutely HATE getting into these long, drawn-out conversations. It's fine once in a while...but every single day?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >