Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Debisue64
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Menopause, Slow Metabolism and Weight lossPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Ps.. i have decided to raise chickens.. and have organic eggs...... I use coconut oil every chance i get.

Its all about nourishing YOU.. all about making it work. Working on buying BETTER beef. grass fed beef.

once I totally clean up my diet.. yes the word DIET is good.. I will do better..

I lose weight every summer as i am self conscious o f my body in a swim suit.. This summer.. i am focusing on feeling healthy.. and screw whether or not i fit anyone elses criteria. I am almost 50.. I must only please ME

Fast food is like crack cocaine.. feels good in the moment.. but does great harm in the big picture
 Shirley1215
Msg: 36
Menopause, Slow Metabolism and Weight loss
Posted: 7/25/2014 7:50:40 AM
Peppermint_Petunias
It happens to a lot of us, but you can change it. Mine hit me about 13/14 years ago.
Got fat. Not pleasingly plump. FAT.

This is me. Only the weight started at about 53 yrs. I was in a relationship, and each year I added about 7 lbs. It just seemed really, really hard to stay the same weight. The relationship totally went in the crapper, and I thought. "Screw it, what does it matter? I don't ever want to see another man in my life!" From the time I met him, until now, I gained 35 lbs. HOLY SH*T.

This past March, my daughter got married. Finding a dress was a nightmare. I feel like a silk purse on a sow's ear. Not kidding. That is exactly how I felt. I realized there was not a single dress or thing I could do about myself to feel attractive. I see the pictures and cringe!!!!! I am so embarrassed. So, Man or no, this is just not OK. I was never, ever fat in my life until the last 7 years or so, and I HATE it. I don't know what came over me, just glad its gone.

I am so glad to be reading about you ladies around my age, that have found a way to lose it and maintain it. I took notes.

I cleared out my cup boards, started walking about 3 miles a day, joined a ZUMBA class 2 nights a week, and am looking to what else I might like that is very "active". NEVER AGAIN. I lost 12 lbs last month, almost 3 lbs a week. I think when you first start, the first month or so its very noticeable, but will slow down. I will try to up my activity every week, as soon as one level get comfortable, I will up the challenge.

Meanwhile, and I don't know if any of ladies or gents have experience this, but I had NO sex drive. NONE. Then out of the blue, 2 months ago, BAM, its back. With a vengeance. I can't walk fast enough....lol.

Oh, and I guess I joined the dating part of the site too soon. I am very tempted to just take that part down. I got an email last week. he wanted to know if he could have pics from when I was a little younger. I wrote back and asked "why"? And he replied "I just wanted to see what you looked like before you let yourself go so bad..." I guess he was accessing my "potential", lol. Men say the darnest things......
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2014 3:05:18 AM

This past March, my daughter got married. Finding a dress was a nightmare. I feel like a silk purse on a sow's ear. Not kidding. That is exactly how I felt. I realized there was not a single dress or thing I could do about myself to feel attractive. I see the pictures and cringe!!!!! I am so embarrassed. So, Man or no, this is just not OK. I was never, ever fat in my life until the last 7 years or so, and I HATE it. I don't know what came over me, just glad its gone.

^^^^^You seem to be doing great and Im happy for you!!

I think we all have had the "OMG thats not my azz is it?" moment in a pic. I sure did.
In zebra print too..I burned it..There is no evidence anywhere in old clothes, or old pics I ever had a weight issue.
( That I am aware of)
I do have a few loose dresses, but not "fat dresses or jeans"Ill make those into purses or extravagant scarves some day..
Every time I lost 10 pounds, out went clothes.I bet I wore used clothes about 6 months as I didn't want to pay for a size I knew I wouldn't be in long.

One thing I know is i IF your mind is not right, your attempts will be futile. That doesn't mean wont have a set back. But your head has to be right. It is like crack ( addictive foods) no doubt.
It's a real issue that everyone needs to face that has a weight issue, female or not.

Thats why I get so frustrated hearing the same people moan year after year about their gut/butt and ask everyone what to do because they aren't committed enough to stick out 2/3 weeks of elimination which is the hardest part.
If you really want it. It will happen.Listen to people who have the type pf body you want that have been through it and kept it off.
You need good information to work with, and while we all are not the same genetically, we are women of a certain age/hormonal challenges and we do have a lot of the same problems.
Usually IR and food sensitivities we are not aware of.
 windchymes
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2014 7:56:48 PM
I hear ya with the mother-of-the bride/groom dresses, what a nightmare, lol! I went through it for the second time last year and am SO glad they're both married off now and I don't have to go through that again! Luckily, I came from a generation where we sewed a lot of our own clothes, so I was able to make my own dresses, and they were okay, but I still felt fat and ugly.

Back on the topic.....I have found that's it's not diet near as much as it is activity. Even walking can work miracles. In the long haul, diets just don't work. We all lose weight quickly and it's great for maybe a year, if we're lucky, but without exercise and activity, the body will find a way to adapt to the diet we're on and will start putting the pounds back on. Some people are swearing by those FitBit's that motivate you to be active. I'm considering getting one.

And a big YEP to the food sensitivities. I dropped about 30 pounds a couple years ago (has it been that long? lol) by greatly reducing or elimiating wheat from my diet. And the weight hasn't come back. I haven't lost any more, either, but at least that 30 didn't come back, lol.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/8/2014 6:21:50 PM
I'm at my set weight now. But 6 years ago I was about 60 pounds heavier and just a bit over 30. For the reason this thread is discussing.....I thought "woah I better get this under control right now! or it's just going to get harder". so i did, complete lifestyle change.
 moisika
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/9/2014 5:07:19 PM
I know everyone is different but on the whole I think this entire issue is made so complicated. So many books, diets, extremes of all kinds.
Drink water when thirsty ( I don't believe one is seriously dehydrated before natural thirst kicks in) eat when hungry, REAL food, not processed stuff, move very day. You don't have to run marathons but we are meant to bend, stretch, walk and move for a good portion of each day. Your body will weigh what it's supposed to. Other than pregnancy, I've weighed within the same 5 pounds since mid teens. So many gimmicks out there ...again just too much complication and we buy into it.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/10/2014 1:13:11 PM
Everyone's body is different, but overall, I'd say low-fat, low-carb, low-sodium, unprocessed foods are the best.

I keep only white meat poulty & fish around (baked or broiled) steamed veggies, fat-free dairy, 1 small fruit per day...bla bla bla...but when my man or myself or either of my 2 sons have a b-day, I have a piece of cake.

I try to stay active & use an exercise bike, & do what I can w/o causing any stress to my joints.

When I was younger I was skinny & could eat whatever.

Now not so much.

I have lost weight over the years, even if I am not the "chart-perfect-weight"...I also avoid people who lke to chow down on crap too often. It's hard to be around that. Don't wanna be an eating buddy!
 activemelaney
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2014 3:33:55 PM
We have a weight chart in our clinic. The ideal weight for the average American woman , (5'3.75") is 124 lbs. that is for age 25....at 55 it is , drum roll, 124 lbs. at 75?... Yup, 124 lbs .

If you were- healthy weight at 25, you should be the same at 55.

Note...we don't use weight ranges because if you tell a woman it is between 110 lbs and 135 lbs...they will assume 135lbs is ok...it's not ideal for 95% of the population. Then they think 140lbs is 'only' a little overweight. It isn't At 140 lbs you most women at that height are an unhealthy 16lbs overweight. And at a risk of diabetes, joint issues, arthritis, etc.

An aside...a comment in this thread states that putting coconut oil in her hair makes it grow faster. Impossible. It might make your hair shinier, feel fuller but stuff put on your scalp cannot increase hair growth. Hair is not plants in a garden needing external nutrients. It grows via internal cell metabolism. Eating a certain diet 'may' increase hair growth marginally but it has to go in your mouth....not on your head. You can't make your external hair 'healthier'...it is dead.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/11/2014 6:59:05 AM

I started putting Coconut Oil in my hair two to three times a week. I just load my hair up with it and put a shower cap on and go to bed. The next day I wash it off in the shower. The result.....rapid hair growth and amazing shine!!

I have a friend who does the same w/ castor oil; she swears by it--she has long smooth, shiny beautiful hair.

I've also seen women record their growth after using various oils & treatments (on youtube) documenting their progress. It makes sense that since your hair is sprouting OUT OF YOUR SCALP, that perhaps caring for your scalp prevents the scalp from inhibiting growth. Seeing is believing!

An aside...a comment in this thread states that putting coconut oil in her hair makes it grow faster. Impossible. It might make your hair shinier, feel fuller but stuff put on your scalp cannot increase hair growth. Hair is not plants in a garden needing external nutrients. It grows via internal cell metabolism. Eating a certain diet 'may' increase hair growth marginally but it has to go in your mouth....not on your head. You can't make your external hair 'healthier'...it is dead.

I disagree---whether the oil or massage is nourishing a dry scalp, her hair is looking better & in her opinion growing out faster. There's a mind/body correlation...Maybe if a person beleives what they are doing is helping, the body follows & indeed that particular function improves.

let's face it, certain products, use of heat, chemicals, etc. does affect the look & feel of our "dead" hair--look at bleached hair VS virgin hair.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2014 7:26:42 AM

The ideal weight for the average American woman , (5'3.75") is 124 lbs.

^^^^^^^ If she is "fit" that is a very reasonable weight.

Depends on muscle/fat/ bone and even age somewhat after a certain age even when being "gauged" they factor in age.
At over 5'6 .5 tipping 5'7 by almost 1/2 inch ,my physician says my weight and fitness level is great for ANY age at 116-119 depending on what Im wearing that day or ate before being weighed.
I get my BMI listed at the bottom of my receipt every Dr. visit and its 19.1 to 19.6 when it varies.

I dont like charts to gauge fitness, just pinch yourself and measure your waist.
We as Americans like numbers it seems.
Weight, height, BMI, size etc etc.
You know if you need to lose body fat.

Note...we don't use weight ranges because if you tell a woman it is between 110 lbs and 135 lbs...they will assume 135lbs is ok.

^^^^^^^^So true
I personally would be fatty-ish ( certainly flabby) at 135 and fat as heck at 153 but the chart says BMI for 5'7 is 121-153.
They dont list *in between* heights, muscle mass and such on charts most people see.

Funny thing with charts too, they will say for exp. healthy weight 121-153 then jumps to moderate over weight at 159-185.
OK what the hell is 149-158..a kinda sorta healthy/moderately over weight?

You can reset your metabolism at any age no matter how long you have fought the battle of ups/down or sudden weight gain with the right tools.
You need information.
If you take medication, you need to know if that could play a role in insulin resistance /other factors that would cause weight gain.

The *proper* blood work and testing things like your thyroid with a reverse t3 blood test.
Check for candida over growth.
You should not have to stop hanging out with people that want pie if you can't have pie.
Just don't keep pie in the house.
We can get our addictions under control for a few hours if we want to go hang out with pie eaters. It doesnt mean we can never ever have pie again either.

.a comment in this thread states that putting coconut oil in her hair makes it grow faster. Impossible

^^^^^^^^^
Ditto.

The most you can hope for is less splitting/dryness of the hair or maybe if you are massaging the scalp really well and getting blood circulated a stimulation in growth over a long period of time might occur but it's the massage and not the oil that would do that.
Like the old wives tale about putting raw eggs on your hair to get protein in your hair.
EAT THE EGG.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/11/2014 7:28:22 AM

I've also seen women record their growth after using various oils & treatments (on youtube) documenting their progress. It makes sense that since your hair is sprouting OUT OF YOUR SCALP, that perhaps caring for your scalp prevents the scalp from inhibiting growth.

It only makes sense when you do not actually understand how the body works.

Seeing is believing!

Well if seeing is believing why do you not share those links? Unless of course you are just making sh*t up.
 activemelaney
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2014 12:25:11 PM
Hair is Keratin...like your nails. Dead. Nothing you put on you hair..massage in, etc. impacts growth one iota. It can only impact the external condition of your hair. Keratin is produced, like everything, via internal metabolism of nutrients. As stated, don't put anything on top of your head for healthy hair, eat it.

Even then, most of us have more than sufficient nutrients for the maximum growth of our hair. Natural rate of hair growth may be slowed by starvation but it is not increased by consuming more of anything. It may be shinier and stronger but not grow faster.

Amongst genetically identical people, Healthier people tend to be able have longer hair not because it grows faster but because it is usually marginally fuller, not as brittle and doesn't shed as quickly. The same as the keratin in the nails. If you are in our clinic I will look at your nails.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/11/2014 6:57:35 PM

Well if seeing is believing why do you not share those links? Unless of course you are just making sh*t up.
look it up yourself on you tube
I think the only made-up sh!t on here is the sock puppets & their posts...
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2014 11:16:50 PM
Click on YouTube and find evidence for alien abductions with anal probes. Sasquatch mating rituals. Elvis sightings. Hair isn't alive. Can't bring something to life that's not alive by putting stuff on it unless you believe in the Jesus magic. You mention socks. Sewing buttons on a sock for eyes and attaching a piece of felt for a mouth doesn't 't really make it grow either.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:14:47 AM
I think the only made-up sh!t on here is the sock puppets & their posts...

Would that be the same as people who wear wigs and put fake ages in their profiles?

Oh by the way I did look it up and it is total horsesh*t as a 10-year-old could see that it is completely and total derp.
 CharminC
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/12/2014 8:33:05 AM
Re: hair

It's the massage action when putting anything in the hair that promotes growth. The product itself promotes shine which gives the appearance of health.
Health... genetics and the old staple, 'you are what you eat'.

*flips hair*
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2014 4:07:23 AM

It's the massage action when putting anything in the hair that promotes growth. The product itself promotes shine which gives the appearance of health.
Health... genetics and the old staple, 'you are what you eat'.

*flips hair*

^^^^^^^^^
Lets flip and swish while pivoting on toes to turn .
Some people are * ahem* not adequately informed .

Protein, sulfur and biotin are great for both hair and nails, but you have to EAT it.
You need blood flow which is where massage comes in as others have said.
Put goat poop massaged into your scalp, butter, hamburger, potato..whatever you want to.

They say avocado is great too and you can google putting avocado/baby food/ bananas etc on your hair/head, but Ill stick to guac going on my eggs, then in the mouth and down to the tummy and so on, not my head.
What a waste of good food that will also help you keep full and thus lose weight if you leave out junk and get on a program.

After *menopause* some loose a bit of hair and that needs to be checked out with blood work and could be a lot of reasons( esp lack of nutrients).nt to do.
Just walk on the beach a day and bo-ing!!!, here comes that extra body..or in some cases FRIZZ

Shampoo, then its gone. Nothing changed inside my hair to make it stay that way.

Sewing buttons on a sock for eyes and attaching a piece of felt for a mouth doesn't 't really make it grow either.

^^^^^^
OMG my mind went to many places on that one.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/13/2014 8:35:20 AM
Is omega 3 good for your hair? I read that it can be, but I don't know.
I take it for my skin...I saw the amazing things it did for my moms about 8 years back and thought "woah i gotta get on that stuff".
If it helps the hair, and maybe my nails, that's cool.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2014 5:14:58 PM
^^^^^^^^YUP

Omega 3's are beneficial to everything> skin /hair/ nails/ heart /cancer prevention/ arthritis..good gosh..preventing Alzheimers/ ADHD/ anxiety/ brain fog/ fights inflammation..you cant afford not to take it, so find a way to get a lot in your diet.

Study on omega 3's and hair loss
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509882/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Make sure the ratio of 3 to 6's are in line.
Check whats online from Haaaaaaaaavad if you don't have any good sources to read
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/omega-3

Omega 3 in the form of flax oil is a big component to the anti cancer diet Nobel prize winner Johanna Budwig came up with. Her book is absolutely fascinating

http://www.budwigcenter.com/the-budwig-diet/#.VGVUIGfhcUQ
Brain health
Cornell
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2004/11/omega-3-fatty-acids-good-heart-and-maybe-good-brain.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/13/2014 7:27:49 PM
I usually just buy jamison brand Omega select. But I've gotten the 3-6-9 before too. I read the sides, compare, but we both know i have no clue what the numbers mean. lol. It would do me good to read those.
What's your opinion on which type i should get?
I'd post the jamison link but jeopardy tournament of champs is on in a couple mins and i gotta go.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2014 2:37:52 AM
^^^
Almost no one needs to supplement omega 6 unless they are in some starving nation.
They are found primarily in nut/seeds and veg oils, esp salad dressings pre made, crackers processed foods.
Its in so many things and you dont want much ( they are inflammatory) but you need some.
Soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, have a good deal of omega 6' Plants seeds and nuts

I would go with bottled Barleans flax oil if you want both, not the higher cost one but the reg bottle ( less omega 6), keep refrigerated.
Also get in a deep water salmon oil or green lipped sea mussel or krill oil.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK specifically to get omega 3's , its doubtful you need additional omega 6's ( most dont)

From Andrew Weil
Omega-3 and omega-6 are types of essential fatty acids - meaning we cannot make them on our own and have to obtain them from our diet. Both are polyunsaturated fatty acids that differ from each other in their chemical structure. In modern diets, there are few sources of omega-3 fatty acids, mainly the fat of cold water fish such as salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, black cod, and bluefish. There are two critical omega-3 fatty acids, (eicosapentaenoic acid, called EPA and docosahexaenoic or DHA), that the body needs. Vegetarian sources, such as walnuts and flaxseeds contain a precursor omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid called ALA) that the body must convert to EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are the building blocks for hormones that control immune function, blood clotting, and cell growth as well as components of cell membranes.

By contrast, sources of omega-6 fatty acids are numerous in modern diets. They are found in seeds and nuts, and the oils extracted from them. Refined vegetable oils, such as soy oil, are used in most of the snack foods, cookies, crackers, and sweets in the American diet as well as in fast food. Soybean oil alone is now so ubiquitous in fast foods and processed foods that an astounding 20 percent of the calories in the American diet are estimated to come from this single source.

The body also constructs hormones from omega 6 fatty acids. In general, hormones derived from the two classes of essential fatty acids have opposite effects. Those from omega-6 fatty acids tend to increase inflammation (an important component of the immune response), blood clotting, and cell proliferation, while those from omega-3 fatty acids decrease those functions. Both families of hormones must be in balance to maintain optimum health.

Many nutrition experts believe that before we relied so heavily on processed foods, humans consumed omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in roughly equal amounts. But to our great detriment, most North Americans and Europeans now get far too much of the omega-6s and not enough of the omega-3s. This dietary imbalance may explain the rise of such diseases as asthma, coronary heart disease, many forms of cancer, autoimmunity and neurodegenerative diseases, all of which are believed to stem from inflammation in the body. The imbalance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may also contribute to obesity, depression, dyslexia, hyperactivity and even a tendency toward violence.

Bringing fats into proper proportion may actually relieve those conditions, according to Joseph Hibbeln, M.D., a psychiatrist at the National Institutes of Health, and perhaps the world's leading authority on the relationship between fat consumption and mental health. At the 2006 Nutrition and Health Conference sponsored by the University of Arizona's College of Medicine and Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr. Hibbeln cited a study showing that violence in a British prison dropped by 37 percent after omega-3 oils and vitamins were added to the prisoners' diets.

If you follow an anti-inflammatory diet, you should get a healthy ratio of these fatty acids. In general, however, you can cut down on omega-6 levels by reducing consumption of processed and fast foods and polyunsaturated vegetable oils (corn, sunflower, safflower, soy, and cottonseed, for example). At home, use extra virgin olive oil for cooking and in salad dressings. Eat more oily fish or take fish oil supplements, walnuts, flax seeds, and omega-3 fortified eggs.

Don't buy 3/6/9/ type products
9's are not considered essential

Again from Weil
Omega-9 fats are described as "non-essential," because our bodies can synthesize them from other things we eat, and we don't have to depend on direct dietary sources to obtain them. The main omega-9 is oleic acid, found in olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil and sunflower oil.

Your body and mind will thank you.

Remember you need fat to burn fat and be your healthiest.
Really helps belly fat.I had a hard time believing that at first myself but its true.
You body wants fat so badly for health and preservation it holds on to your stored fat if you do not get enough in your diet.
Dont forget MTC's like coconut oil

(Omega 6 oils) I run from if I can and although love m@ries blue cheese at times, it is full of soybean oil.
I try and make my own dressings with flax and ex virgin olive oil.
Get a list from a reliable source and print out what omegas are in what foods and amounts/ratios.

You'll know pretty soon what not to buy by memory
Crackers and prepared things are usually loaded with inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids.

Enjoy eggs, dont fall for added omega 3's on an egg carton, those aren't the type you absorb. Just buy organic when possible or at least antibiotic and hormone free.
Dont over cook yolk and kill the benefits( also do not heat any omega 3 or or light oils.)
Use oils that are made to withstand high temps or add after cooking.

Major Fatty Acids .

While not a complete list, the following identifies some of the major fatty acids and their food sources.
Omega 3s are polyunsaturated fats found in high concentration in flax, hemp, chia and pumpkin seeds as well as the oil of cold water fish, and dark green leafy vegetables;
Omega 6s are polyunsaturated fats found in, among other sources, pumpkin, sunflower, safflower, sesame, soybean and canola oil;
Monounsaturated fats (including Omega 7 and Omega 9) are found in, among other foods, olive oil;
Saturated fats are found in large proportion in animal products including meat and dairy, unless removed as with skim products. Saturated fat is found in high proportion in palm and coconut oil but coconut oil is a MCT so its not like animal fat, doesnt affectmetabolism the same way. Saturated fat isn't "bad ".

"BAD fat"
Trans fats occur widely in processed foods including baked goods and margarines. Trans fats are mostly in the form of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, a solid fat produced by heating polyunsaturated vegetable oil. Small concentrations of trans fats occur naturally in dairy and meat.

30% of your diet should be healthy fats (ideally) esp as we age *ideally* with as many omega 3's as possible.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/14/2014 9:18:18 AM
I eat plenty of the other stuff, but my thing is I'm not going to touch fish. Any seafood. I can out-stubborn a 5 year old with a piece of broccoli.
 Aprilikesrosasblancas
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/4/2016 12:43:20 PM

I'm just wondering if there are any Ladies out there that have overcome the slower metabolism that comes with Menopause? I've put on about 20 lbs and have tried what seems like everything: Weight Watchers, The Ab Diet, and just plain ol eating healthy. I do my cardio and strength training and have only accomplished to "maintain" my present weight. My doctor says I will probably NOT lose anything. Any menopausal women have any great weight loss tips they're willing to share?

Hmmm, lower metabolism and weight gain......
There is only one case in which you can blame your metabolism for that : IS if you are sick with hypothyroidism. In everything else, the explanation is that you don't move enough.!

The only rule that exists is, If you change your habits, your body will change.!!

I am 51, have no problems with weight, but I can't sleep because I have those extremes hot flashes, I wake up sweaty and desperate.
I feel sleepy during the day,Those hot flashes /menopause symptoms are killing me...:-(
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/4/2016 5:41:02 PM
Peppermint Petunia is spot on as always. I'm 5'4" and I'm WAY heavier than 124 pounds, but I wear a size 4 (four) in pants and I'm told I look great in a bikini. My abs are flat and toned, but I do have hips, butt and breasts, which most men seem to like. All this obessing over weight and BMI is ridiculous. As a nurse, I weight people all day long and can say with absolute conviction that just the number on the scale does not tell the whole story at all. There are lots of women (younger than me) who weight much less, but they are skinny fat, not toned, flabby, pooch belly. I might weight quite a bit more, but I have muscle mass that gives me curves.
 wineaboutit
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/11/2016 11:53:23 AM
I made diet changes because of a high A1C, while I am not officially diabetic, my father who was not overweight developed diabetes in his 50's and I am almost 52. I cheat a bit on the weekends I will have a burger or pizza but otherwise I stick mainly to a diabetic style diet. I rarely eat dessert, white bread, pasta. My place of work has a nice cafeteria so I either eat salad and some kind of protein or bring something and get salad. I keep it simple mostly chicken or fish. I go to the gym and I do a heavy work out and make sure my cardio gets my heart rate up. I drink a glass of wine or two on the weekend no****ails ( they usually have too much sugar ) the occassional beer.

I bet if you tweaked your work out routine you might see results. People make the mistake of doing the same thing all the time in cardio and weights. I will go through a cycle of six or eight weeks of free weights, then add and subtract things on a regular basis. I do different cardio all the time a run/walk one day, a longer walk at a heavy incline another, bike another day. Have you had labs drawn to make sure you don't have other issues? Have you considered a short term investment in a personal trainer?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >