Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 12
Surely she didn'tPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
i'm with jedi girl - i can't believe with all that is important when it comes to the nomination process, that the media focuses on such stupid points. from the context of which she spoke, she was obviously indicating the "game isn't over til' it's over" and cited 2 examples where 2 nominees went right to june in their campaign for the nomination.

i understand scrutinizing each nominee and what they say but this one is ridiculous. hillary and obama say lots of stupid things that are much more telling about how they plan to run the country. those are the things americans should be focused on. (oh, and i'm not saying mccain hasn't said plenty of stupid things as well...)
 itechman63
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 7:35:25 AM
If her explanations of her "misstatements" are true, she has proven herself to be someone that does not think before she speaks. The number of times she's had to explain "misstatements" should be alarming when considering this is a person that would be speaking to foreign leaders and diplomats regarding sensitive issues.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 22
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 9:03:32 AM
"It was simply a time-reference point."

Suth'nBoy,

What kind of time-reference point? Something like: Do you remember when we didn't have problems like this? or maybe: Those were the days when people took care of business right away!

I sincerely hope that it wasn't the case with Hillary, but now I have a serious doubt, not much different from the doubt that I have regarding the "joke" by Huckabee.

I have said it before in another post: if politicians or talking heads keep on bringing this up, for whatever reason, they are playing a very dangerous game. They are laying the grounds for fanatics or lunatics desperate for their 15 minutes of attention. Once the enemies of democracy find their trigger man, the rest would be a movie that we have already seen.
 itechman63
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 9:49:27 AM

You are the guy who posted those Obama quotes out of context, right. But it's not something you'd ever do, eh. Keep up the good work.

Oh, SNAP!
 gentalltheway
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 10:05:00 AM
Now Bill is pushing for a new job for Hillary...Vice-President. Scary thought...
 Simlasa
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 10:41:49 AM
It was a stupid thing to say... and kind of shines light on her craven thought processes...
Other than that it's not much but more of the same.
 Simlasa
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 11:25:55 AM
What response was that?
The only one I've seen is this:

"Senator Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

How is that 'pathetic'?

Hillary's camp whines that everthing that doesn't go her way is 'sexist'... how does that make her so much tougher than Obama is?
 itechman63
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:04:49 PM

So, on a side note, what happened to your and itech's shoot-em-up video games? Usually on Saturday we don't have to put up with you two, thanks to Xbox!

You don't have to be an A-hole Suth.

It's okay, I forgive you because I too was once like you. I believed the Boogey man lived under my bed until I realized the real Boogey men were the people feeding me the knowledge they wanted me to believe that I helped elect to go to Washington.
 Simlasa
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:06:45 PM
Suth'nBoy,
I didn't say Hillary personally claimed sexism (though I believe I've seen her allude to it)... I said 'Hillary's camp'... much as you said 'the Obama campaign'...
I haven't seen Obama personally crying that attacks against him were 'racist'... but a lot of his followers have... just as many of Hillary's followers have cried about sexist attacks against her.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 49
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 5:09:52 AM
I've said the same thing four times in discussions about when/if she should concede and let Obama go nose to nose with McCain.
I can easily give her the benefit of the doubt because I said it as (only) an example of when a Democratic nomination campaign went into June.

Much ado about nothing, in my view.

That said, while I'd love to see a woman in the Whitehouse, if the ado helps break the weird Bush/Clinton dynasty thing y'all've got yourselves into, I'm okay with that.

And hoping they can keep Obama safe.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 51
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 5:46:41 AM
How is it a misstep to mention the fact that there is a history of these contests running into June?
The press looks for controversy where there is none, and will interpret soundbites for their own purposes regardless of what a candidate says - it sells.
Her opponents do the same to turn eyes away from themselves and their own failed/failing policies.

You'll perhaps notice she didn't say "I'm a better candidate than Obama, because he's more likely to be assassinated than I am, and if I just wait until June, maybe someone will get him."
 itechman63
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:22:01 AM

You'll perhaps notice she didn't say "I'm a better candidate than Obama, because he's more likely to be assassinated than I am, and if I just wait until June, maybe someone will get him."

No, the pundits have been saying that. What a personal physical and emotional toll this campaign has had to have been for her. When I first heard the statement the word 'assassinated' didn't even stand out to me I guess because I understood the historical reference. Whenever the RFK incident is brought up it has always been noted that it was after a significant primary win during a highly competitive and in doubt nominating campaign late into the season. I got it.

As for the gamesmanship of the Obama campaign, they had months to learn the game well from being on the other side.
 Kaos86
Msg: 54
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:40:18 AM
As much as I dislike ole Hill/Bill I don't believe for a second that she was suggesting Obama would be assassinated.
I just think it was an awkward way of suggesting that it is not unusual for Dem races to go into June.
 designingwoman
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:59:07 AM
Just as I've often warned about the dangers of a McCain presidency with his nasty temper, Shrillary's inability to think before she speaks makes her potentially dangerous as a president. Obama is the only one of the three with a rational mind and ability to think logically. Obama/Spock 2008
 Kaos86
Msg: 61
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 9:08:33 AM

Just as I've often warned about the dangers of a McCain presidency with his nasty temper

What a joke.
Bill Clinton was infamous for his berating of his underlings.

Get ready for McCain I.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 62
She didn't mean it that way...
Posted: 5/25/2008 9:21:31 AM

what is the First thing most people remember when they hear the name JFK?

I don't know about most, but I think of him inspiring a nation to put a man on the moon, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", "Ich bin ein Berliner" and Marilyn singing Happy Birthday...and only then do I think of how your nation and the world was robbed by his death.

OT: I'd love to see a woman president, but if something like this brings an end to the Bush/Clinton dynasty ... I'm okay with that.
 CountIbli
Msg: 71
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:51:34 PM
Sen. Hillary Clinton referred Friday to the assassination of Robert Kennedy in 1968 Democratic campaign as a reason she should continue to campaign despite increasingly long odds.

As much as I hate Hitlery, I watched her make this comment and can see nothing wrong in what she said. RFK has been dead for 3 decades and anyone still traumatized over his death needs to learn how to move on.
 designingwoman
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:25:37 PM
John McCain isn't fit to be president. I would love to see Bill Weld run against Shrillary and get her out of politics altogether. Bill Weld is of the old school, like Eisenhower. When he was governor of Mass., I liked his socially liberal, fiscally conservative (his fiscal conservatism was aimed at Joe Average rather than the rich--he cut tolls on the Turnpike, for example rather than giving the rich any kind of "special break".) Weld is now a lawyer based in NY. He considered running for governor at one time. The Republicans would be smart to put him up against Shrillary--he has cross party appeal. Unfortunately the right-wing dingbats won't let a good guy like him run. So NY probably will be stuck with Shrillary for a long time. My friends in NY feel that she has done little for the people there. I have friends from west to east, and none are impressed with her.

With her latest foray into assassinationspeak, I'd say it's GAME OVER. She should give it up!
 Kaos86
Msg: 97
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:37:48 PM
If John McCain ;

U.S. Senator John McCain has a long career of public service.
He is currently the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services. He also serves on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, and the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs.

McCain graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1958 and became a naval aviator, flying attack aircraft from carriers. During the Vietnam War, he nearly lost his life in the 1967 USS Forrestal fire. Later that year while on a bombing mission over North Vietnam, he was shot down, badly injured, and captured as a prisoner of war by the North Vietnamese. He spent five and a half years as a prisoner of war, experiencing episodes of torture.
McCain retired from the Navy in 1981 and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Arizona in 1982. After serving two terms, he was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1986, winning reelection in 1992, 1998, and 2004.

Senator McCain has seven children and four grandchildren. He and his wife, Cindy, reside in Phoenix.

If this man isn't fit to be President then who is?
 Kaos86
Msg: 99
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/26/2008 6:06:44 PM
Not quite up to McCain's resume but all politics aside ... they are both fit to be President.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 100
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/26/2008 8:55:33 PM
That being the case, I will choose Obama. He will work for the people of our country.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 102
Surely she didn't
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:58:47 PM
Hi Bob,

At least you have a choice. Choosing between an honest candidate and another who you can't trust seems to me like a clear choice. There are a lot of people out there spreading mis-information about the candidates. I wish you the best when the time comes for you to make a decision. I know that everyday I have to be alert to the news and take in the information in order to have a balanced opinion.
I support Barack Obama, and I hope that you will give him a chance to bring our country back to the place that it should occupy in the civilized world.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >