Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AbbieF
Msg: 5
view profile
History
How Many Take The Time To Say Hi??Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Used to work in retail so if the person greets me I always say hi and ask how they are..... Little old ladies or gents in the supermarket love a smile and hello.
I smile at everyone - makes them wonder what youve been up to
Though my Uncle used to say 'keep smiling the boss loves idiots'

Courtesy is FREE and so are smiles, also contageous according to a poem I read
 curiousaboutu77
Msg: 8
view profile
History
How Many Take The Time To Say Hi??
Posted: 5/25/2008 6:33:55 AM
im a creature of habit so i know the people in shops quite well so it is always about saying hello and having a bit of a chat......im really good at having chats with me neighbours and some people i walk past who i just say hi too but i dont really hold conversations that much in general, i just tend to do tasks and go home rather then take my time. But i think a lot can be said about greeting people with a smile and a hi because it makes people more comfortable
 GimmeaBr8K
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:12:09 AM
Always. I always chat to people in the service industry. You often find they are nice, and their's more to them than their job. Wow - go figure...lol. Also means they won't spit in your food...lol
 ado1972
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:29:21 AM
Well i just think it is just the right thing to do, say thankyou , please . Not sure that is much to ask is it... My thoughts
 gjay1
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/25/2008 3:25:56 PM
lol i talk to everyone and their dog!! even talk to the guys holding the roadworks sign that tells me im may be stopped for 15 minutes....after all what else am i going to do for 15 minutes????
 Kate_87
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/25/2008 5:14:36 PM
Well, I've found that city people are much ruder than those country. I was brought up in the parramatta/bankstown area then moved to Orange about 6-7 years ago, and now work at Bunnings as a register chick.

I'm 'required' by my job to say 'hello' and 'hi' to the customer. I'm not required to carry a conversation or acknowledge them any further... but I do anyway cause... well, I like talking and seeing how people's days are. And it also crushes the bordem of an 8hr shift where we're not allowed to walk further than the 1st few Isles or further than our tea room. But I do love my job, it's the 1st I've ever had, but it's the best start cause you meet the trade people and bosses who come in to purchase their stock.

Truthfully, I ignore the snobs, they mean nothing other than they're paying my wage. So either way, they're losing money while it goes in my pocket.
 virgogidget
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 12:00:28 AM
I say Hi to everyone even with a smile :)
It can cheer a persons day:
 Mainey
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:01:19 AM
Geeeez WG you clarified that you were joking!!! You usually say your thing, usually starting with a joke and carry on from there. Leaving the newbys to try to work you out.
Yes I try to say hi to anybody who serves me. I get really annoyed when they say nothing and do not even look at you, I will often say "Oh I'm fine thanks and how about you?"
 photoman001
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/3/2008 8:09:10 AM
I moved area about 2 yrs ago from a place where I knew most people in the town. I couldn't believe in my new area what a bunch of sad faces the store people and check-out chicks were. That automated "How are you today" without making eye contact and I bet 10 seconds later they couldn't pick me out of a line-up.

So I made it my mission to break the ice. I never know just when I'll be home for dinner so I shop almost daily. I have a damn good memory and each time I maybe pick up one new fact about the check out girls. Who is going to Uni and what they are doing, who has kids, which footy team they follow. That means the next time we get a 2 minute conversation on something of interest to them. I'm pleased to say that after a few months as I walk down the line of checkouts I generally get a few waves, a couple of smiles and even a couple know my name. Now if they smile at the next customer and ask how they are, damn this might even catch on!

I teach people in retail stores how to sell our company products. I tell them that making a friend first is the easiest way to make a sale. When I taught hospitality in a large complex my crew generally made 4 times the tips that the other crews made and were much happier. Being nice can pay too!
 missmilly1970
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 5:08:05 AM
Having had many crappy jobs, I always say the first "hi".

I know in supermarkets they're meant to say "Hello"

I always try to get in first & " Hi. How's things? I take a genuine interest.

It works. I know "Lisa" my local checkout gal is doing a degree in nursing.

Even if she wasn't............... having been there, people are rude!

We all have crappy days at work. Lawyer (not me!) or checkout gal if someone is rude it can make or break your day!

Having done a multitude of jobs I always try to smile & sympathise.

You may make someone's day! Smiling, having manners, and just being respectful goes a long way! It doesn't take anything out of your day!
 robbo1857
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 2:31:00 AM
Hi all. Its a good question Aussie chic 01.You know now that I have been single for a while and have noticed that it does pay to just smile and say hi. Specially in supermarkets when I see someone looking down a smile costs nothing means a lot. Have been were some people are just downright abusive and very nasty.Why?Because there day aint good make others suffer ,,hmmm how do we teach the right thing?
 missmilly1970
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 5:09:08 AM
Okay.................... that's a lot OTT!!!!

I got a Christmas card from my postie! I get a lot of stuff from O/S. It's not always addressed correctly. It always gets to me though!!! I sent a compliment through the Australia Post web site saying thanks in October last year. At Christmas I got a card from my postie (Dylan) saying thanks for recognising him.

Sometimes a little bit goes a long way!!!

Somedays your job bites, but someone saying "thank you" may make your day!

I figure if you get good service, it takes two minutes out of your day to ring up/email and say thanks.
 InSydney
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:14:56 AM
I don't want to sound like I'm bragging (not that there's anything wrong with bragging) but I not only say 'Hi', 'Hello' or 'How are you?' to people that serve me as a customer but I make it a point to say something like 'How's your day going so far?'. I also very rarely leave without saying something like 'Enjoy your day'. It doesn't cost me anything to be nice and I've ended up being friends with some of those who have remembered me from a previous visit. Some have even given me a gift just out of the blue simply because they thought I was nice to them. Most people who spend their whole day serving customers for a living don't get acknowledged for the work they do by the people they serve.
 sensiszeroto100
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2008 11:20:11 PM
I'm a pretty chatty person.
So I always say hi and smile.
I have always worked in the public eye from retail, hospitality, tourism, and aquatics.
I have also performed in front of ppl, so you need to have good people skills.
I think everyone needs to practice ppl skills if only on how to be polite!
 danny2814170
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/23/2010 7:19:16 PM
gday Aussie_Chic_01

hey can you contact me on me on my page please.
 Ahron123
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/26/2010 4:45:08 AM
I say hi to everyone cause I'm friendly, but this whole "you should say hi to them because they serve you" is a bad attitude. You should say hi to them because saying hi to people makes the world a plesant place.

They are not serving you either, they are working for money, and effectivly serving themselves.
 Ahron123
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/26/2010 5:24:19 AM

of course work=money.... that's why people do it for the most part... why should we made their day any harder by not being polite?...

I didn't say we should. I said the opposite. The thing is, the reasons for being polite need to be real (it genuinely does make the world a better place, and that in itself is a good reason).

I'm not big on formalities, and sometimes it's the less friendly staff that I feel most comfortable talking to. I HATE fakeness. I have made quite a lot of small talk with people at check outs who are complaining about how boring their job is, or implying that it is boring by stating that they "only have 2 hours and 56 minutes left". I don't have a problem with it. I would go as far as to say that people being friendly and acting happy when I can tell that they are actually not, really irritates me.

Having said that, sometimes friendliness is very genuine and that's fantastic. It makes me think: should staff be told to act happy and friendly, or instead, should employers create an environment in which staff actually ARE happy and friendly? I think the importance of the latter is sometimes under estimated.

Anyway, back on topic, friendliness over rated. Genuine-ness is under rated. Say hi if you feel like it, and can do it for the right reasons.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >