Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 88
The Ripple EffectPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Quick story...I was in the elevator coming back from lunch yesterday. A gentleman and myself were the only ones left to go to the 9th floor. We stepped out he was looking around and said "I think I may be in the wrong building". I asked what building he was looking for, he didn't know, only had the name of a firm. I told him there was probably a directory downstairs then realized I didn't know where it was. I told him, follow me and I'll see if they're in our building. He followed me to my office and waited in the hall. I got on white pages and looked up the name of the firm, got the phone number. Grabbed a pen and paper, wrote down the address, on the same street, in telling me where it was, the lady on the other end said...she didn't know the "name" of the building, but they were in between the bridal shop and the...*ahem* strip club. She started to giggle, we both laughed out loud. (where I work is in a very high-end business section of town...still TOO ironic). I jotted down the phone no. and walked out to give him directions. Third building down, same side of the street, next building past the bridal shop. He asked me a few questions about our firm...and said you've been so kind, so wonderful what is your name. He handed me his business card...(wouldn't you know...we're in the same profession) and wishes for a great day and many thanks.

Honestly, I didn't even think about it, it was a few minutes. I know when I've been lost, car broken down (in the rain with a silk suit...yeah) there has always been someone there to see to it I'm on my way. When I saw the movie "Pay It Forward"...chills...I have so many stories. Well I had been having a really good day, other things just "happened" and it ended with a phone call (unexpected but most welcome) from a long time forum friend.

I was thinking driving home about the ripple effect. I do think about that, now I have a name for it...thanks RC!! And it does affect me, makes me so much more aware (still VERY human....and forgive myself at times for being so) but just the awareness of dropping a tiny pebble in a huge pond and being aware of the ripples (positive and negative) that may happen, may affect someone else. I'm thankful, grateful and have been more than extremely blessed to be more aware.
 WeAre1
Msg: 90
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 6/20/2008 10:51:41 PM
I guess, part of the gift of the forums (sometimes) is they allow us to relate our lessons by speaking of our life experience, rather than staying with theory so much.....and many don't post personal things on the threads, but this thread, for some reason, almost gave a safe space where there would not be any bashing (hopefully)....and the posts have been so humbling and so moving and reminding of how human we really all are here.....

So I'm sorry I misunderstood.
 WeAre1
Msg: 94
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:21:08 PM
ahhh....just sending a hug to this thread, for it's still one of my favorites and it's so lovely to see it resurrected again....

like the ripples in water moving out endlessly, may the ripples in our lives move us all towards a peaceful and loving humanity.

10of6
Msg: 96
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:40:26 PM
So...with 6.6 billion people on the planet, I'd think that many ripplers would cause abject havoc through chaos.

How about all the ripples caused by forces beyond our control? Each day, ton upon ton of space debris falls into or intersects earth's orbit. If one of those pieces of debris makes it through the atmosphere and hits the earth with a mass of 1/2 ton, much less than a car, the energy released would indeed cause a ripple.

Here's the energy without computing for impact force: Ripple = 0.5 x 186,000 squared, or roughly 93 kilotons. Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs weren't even close to that. (No physicist, I don't know how to factor in velocity, but it would magnify the force considerably).
 gentleplus
Msg: 97
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:46:39 PM
I totally see the ripples in my life even the awkward ones will teach me lessons of hope and joy...
 WeAre1
Msg: 98
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:50:00 PM
re: message 109......just goes to show how little stability there really is here......

I always thought energy ripples, whether we are aware of it or not......conscious or unconsciously, on many levels or realms, visible and invisible, in this time period and others concurrently (some say).....

And so to me the idea of the ripple (or butterfly) effect is far more unknown than known.

There's another thought - some say the universe is always working towards the highest good of all (even when that seems to be the opposite of what's going on)......so there is an idea that all ripples are absolutely meant to be, or they would not occur.
 webweebil
Msg: 100
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:57:17 PM
The ancients used mandalas to describe our energies interacting with each other. Some philosophers and sages have challenged people to examine "their" thoughts. Some argue that most of the thoughts we hold are not even ours. To understand what our effect upon the world is, one would have to understand their true nature. What if all of the patterns of this holographic Universe are already in place - some Grand Design held in the eye of Brahma? Our individual, separate selves as actors on a stage are all illusion and our actions all pre-determined, or as one Terrance McKenna said, mirrors catching the reflections of the great disco ball that shoots off glints of light that are emanating from the great Escaton at the end of Time?
 10of6
Msg: 102
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:00:12 PM
Post 111: Yes, there is "rippling" going on every moment throughout the universe. So whether a person ripples right, or ripples left, or doesn't ripple a breath at all, with trillions of trillions of celestial matter vibrating to some frequency or another, the amount of inertia to overcome by one's little ripples is too vast to calculate.

So...does this begin to address the subject of "Fate?" When it does, wake me, please. The realm of the metaphysical, though convenient to our current culture of "feeling = knowledge," may be the only thing in the universe that occupies no space and has no mass.
 prettywitty54
Msg: 104
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/17/2008 4:58:08 PM
I've felt your Ripple all the way down through these brave women, all the way down to the last post of one most beautiful human being, Bullielover. She is an inspiration to me!
 10of6
Msg: 106
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:39:13 PM
There's another thought - some say the universe is always working towards the highest good of all
Well...since you brought it up...

Out there in the great beyond there is no concept of good and evil...just is, or isn't...or even "becoming" when considering transitional protons or some subatomic particles. What every piece of matter ultimately faces is entropy, then decay, but who's to say if it's for the good of the order? Spiritualists and religionists would tell you something similar to what you offered.

Anybody can cause destruction. Its not a gift.
Here's one to stumble on: if God caused the Universe via The Big Bang, considering the energy released, wasn't that an act of destruction? Or at best, de-construction?

I learned quickly that to be able to see many more possibilities, a person needs to work to take off the "values" and "morals" filters from our eyes, ears and mouths.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 112
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 3:49:38 PM
But where will Myth put the batteries?

LOL... Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post Myth! I haven't spent as much time around here lately, but I always get drawn back to catch a "wisdom hit" from my fav's. Thanks to all of you and hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving (even if it is at the wrong time of the year *wink*)
 WeAre1
Msg: 116
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:22:13 PM
gosh, i've been hanging out writing poetry for the last three months...but it's wonderful to stop by here and see you all....perfect time of the year to say so many thanks for the stepping stones - many stepping stones i've touched on here in the forums.....

and yes, how can she fit moose or reindeer in her oven??? a bit like my trying to fit a turkey in my toaster oven actually.....so, no, ms flis...editing to add, no innuendo from me this time for I really must figure this out before Thursday! :)

hugs to all.....and if don't get a chance, have a wonderful holiday season and start to the new eternity also....whatever that may be, let it be one where the ripples are like glistening sunshine rising and setting on the ocean of our lives.
 A_wild _rose
Msg: 119
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 10:17:05 PM
To be honest it is hard to put into words what this thread has done for me. Thanks for starting this thread. This thread'sripple effect on me; It has made me stop and think about some my actions how they have impacted others. It has made me change directions and be more kind, caring, compassionate and forgiving to others. It has inspired me to forgive myself for my mistakes. So again I thanks all who have posted to this thread. take care!
 A_wild _rose
Msg: 123
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/22/2008 2:29:39 PM
Your are welcome . Yes Red Cassandra it is very hard to forgive yourself... But I learned so much about myself in doing so and reflecting on what ripples I have caused both good and bad. I have changed and I think for the better, I more at peace too. I can truly say that nothing has made me think more than these posting have. So whatever it is worth to you and others who have posted here you have left me far better than I was before I read them. It is amazing how wisdom and life epiphanies find us in the strangest places.
So again I thank you all for this amazing thread.
IN trying to create only such efects that I would wish for myself, I can only hope that I will leave someone hopefully better than I found them. In doing so I will be paying forward what you all have given to me. Be blessed all of you as you have blessed me!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 125
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 10:00:10 AM

As I am reeling from that experience... as I am gasping for air... just trying to keep my head above the water... it's hard not to say to myself "how stupid were you not to realize what was going on?"... it's hard to forgive myself for doing nothing wrong but trusting someone who should not have been trusted.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to relate to that fully.

The worst person in the world to be angry/upset/disappointed with is yourself.

I remember a talk I had with my son after a girl broke his heart and he was beating himself up over it.

He is a generous, loving, caring soul. At times people take advantage and exploit that, but that is a reflection on their character - NOT his. The fallout from experiences like these is heart/gut/soul wrenching, but the fault or blame should not lie on the person who loved "too much", trusted "too much" or gave "too much". It's only too much in hindsight, at the time it was something the person did with joy and out of the purest of intentions. The warmth of their soul to do something to make someone they care for happy. One of the deepest blessings of life.

What I told my son is the tragedy would be if he tried to change that sweet, gentle, loving part of himself because it wasn't met with generosity, caring and giving in return. We have no control over how someone will respond, and we don't do it for that reason......although it would be inhuman to say that it doesn't hurt to be exploited.

It is a requirement of human relationships to exercise some degree of trust, to what extent and over what aspects will vary. We simply cannot live and interact without having to trust someone, sometime for something. As we get to know people better, and see that words and actions consistently align, then we feel comfortable trusting them a little more and deeper. Sometimes we encounter one situation where the trust in that aspect is broken, we hit that spot where their character is inconsistent.

All that can be done in the aftermath is to learn what we can, forgive ourselves, the other person and file it away with our other experiences and move on in our lives. Also to acknowledge and express in some fashion our emotions and feelings, give them a voice and an outlet, the first step in healing IMO.

We are not prophets, seers or can predict someone's future behavior all the time. I fully and totally do not believe it is a flaw to hope for or encourage the best behavior from someone else. To believe and trust in someone and have them let us down is not something we did wrong or could have known. We may not realize because we want to think better of the person. It is discouraging when it's thrown back in our faces and we're on the floor, rug totally pulled out from under us, wondering what happened or....who IS this person.

The hurts will heal, we will get back to where we were before, better and stronger for the experience (in time) if and when we have the faith in ourselves to not abandon that special part of our hearts and souls that is giving, loving, caring. To vow not to allow any person or experience to diminish our joy in life with others and ourselves, to change our character and nature to embittered and angry.

It hurts because we care, on the face it may seem ironic. We care because that's WHO we are, a part of ourselves we cherish and that others do appreciate, encourage and nurture.

Red, I've been there, I relate. I also know you as that loving, caring, giving soul and I love you so much for that sweet woman that you are. I know of others here who do, too. So dear friend, be encouraged and know we're all here for you and we care.
Don't you DARE ever change!
 catkin2007
Msg: 126
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 11:34:52 AM
Red, thanks for the thought provoking post.

Funny, but I never thought of myself as a forums person before; but one day I was reading one and the person was getting really good advice on a situation about abusive relationships. I stayed in and out of the forum for a couple of days watching the responses. What I learned that day was that no matter who we are here, we all have different challenges and things to face, we all have similar challenges and things to face, yet we all look to complete strangers to help us find the calm after the storms.

I've come to look forward to certain posters because I know that no matter what they may say, they say it with a touch of life, a dash of wit, a pinch of reality, and for the good of the person they are posting to.

Sometimes, just being in the forums can make you laugh your head off, and other times it brings you back to earth and you realize that life has a way of causing ripples in our ponds. Either way, its nice to have people here to help you when the ripples are surrounding you.
 aprilwhyapril
Msg: 129
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 4:08:26 PM
Some old guy who lived in the floor below me taught me to "take off my thumb", I went on to learn it quite well even though I was only 6. I have since taught probably 1000+ other kids and adults. Who was that guy? It turned out he was an alcoholic, died many years later but even a person such as that had redeeming qualities and can have tremendous positive impacts on the lives of others. Never discount anyone that crosses your path, even those troubled by their demons can touch your life and those whose lives your life crosses. I will always remember him in my heart, innocent as it was then but more knowing now. His contribution to my life was sincere, it allows me to remain a kid and help others stay in touch with their inner child...

bucsgirl
Msg: 131
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 4:41:57 PM

As much as we sometimes try to do something good and righteous, it truly takes two people for the ripples to have an impact. The one reaching out and the one allowing the ripples to effect change and thereby respond to the first...

As long as we bring something positive from the experience... it hasn't been wasted.

I'm enriched by the lives of others... very much so...

Very well spoken from someone who's been a personal enricher.
 zangie
Msg: 132
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 7:21:24 PM
What's so cool about this thread is that it is about real people and real feelings, and the struggles we all face..the forums run hot and cold for me...I struggle to stop responding to my triggers...I lament the sometimes lack of real discussions ( of which this one does not not qualify)...I often long to talk about the real things in our lives, and to not have to defend myself or others from unnecessary meanness..and most of all, I wish more posts were less about what is wrong with the OP, or other posters and more about how we all struggle to be the best we can be, with what we have. Or to exchange differences in opinions without hate or rancor...to learn, instead of feed the anguish?

I know I am probably the worst kind of idealist, but, I truly believe there is good in almost everyone, and I hope that I make a difference of some kind in other lives, even those who seem less good..because they need it the most.

Red: I, too, struggle with the issue of "how could I not see that coming?". It has been often said on here, that if you are smart and well adjusted, bad things should never happen to you...ironically, I find that to be way too idealistic...even the smartest, brightest, savviest of us will not be infallible...and I truly wish to not give up trusting because of fear that I may be wrong...as hurts pile up...large and small...I want to believe that they were still worth the risk..and the ripples have meaning...and one should not be punished or looked down upon for believing?

I think, generally , that women are far harder on themselves than men...which I could envy their ability to more easily accept themselves, flaws and all.

The ripples of this thread are far reaching and supplied by many..and have brought me hope about people in general, and the forums as a rule...maybe all is not as lost as it seems...for both...

My latest mantra ( which is on my profile ) is: Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect, just that you learned to look beyond the perfections...author unknown...I am truly trying to practice this..and hope it inspires others as well...
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 133
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 7:42:53 PM
LOL! They only "Ripple Effect" I know about is the pounding headache you used to get after drinking that cheap crap!!! LOL! Didn't anyone else immediately think about that cheap wine we drank in the 60s??? It was right up there in a class with Boone's Farm and Mogan David!!! LOL!
 ItsMargo
Msg: 135
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/24/2008 10:48:36 PM

Red: I, too, struggle with the issue of "how could I not see that coming?".

Yep, sign me up for some of that. (hi zangie... I think I owe you a note).

The times where the ol' freight train came down the tracks and ran *PHOOM* straight through me and I just didn't see it coming. I'm a bit of a first class personal beater-upper. (anyone else here in that particular club? ~ thought so)

And I know we all know it's just nuts - but it IS hard to learn how to stop. I think of it as developing some compassion for myself... and learning to expect no more of myself than being human. I cultivate compassion for other people... I try to be fair with others, sometimes even a li'l excessively fair. But to myself? Nah, that's different. I kind of expect myself to be better/smarter/wiser/ somehow MORE than that... a superhuman.

Some things from two wise men who cast some pretty huge ripples in my life ...

One said "It's ego y'know... why are you being so dam egotistical that you think you can be more than human?"

And the other said something along the lines of ... "Forget what you know now, cuz you're looking at it with hindsight. Accept that in the moment you did the best you could, with the information and insight you had... in that moment. And know that you did do you best... your best might have been better if you had been less tired/more aware/whatever... regardless, it was what you had to work with, and you did what you could... so knock it off already."
 WeAre1
Msg: 136
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/25/2008 5:48:07 AM
Gathering all my poetic writings in one place, just found this one in the poetry forum of six lines or less.....

By the way, just wish to say, I love seeing this thread doing its magic again....
Upon reading margo's last offerings, I remember I saw a skit once and the main punchline through it all was....'Give your Self a break."

Have a thankful Thanksgiving, everyone.

written 10/14/2008.....

angels busy sending love
to all who are open to receive
and willing to give it unconditionally
for those with the greatest need and believe
the ripple effect travels far and wide
touching all from deep earth through the vast sky
 clasact
Msg: 145
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/30/2008 12:31:07 PM

Ripples spread in circles.... in all different directions.
I was kinda hoping that they would eventuallly take on a horizontal or verticle movement at some point after the "splash" hits and creates the ripples. Because being in the middle of one of these "circles" I can have trouble locating the exit when I need to.

Ok, it's time to see what goes on in my fireplace...
You just say this to piss me off, don'tcha? What did I say? ~tilts head~ You do not have proper, adult supervision. *mutters to herself.....she is stubborn and sometimes does not put on her listening ears* *snorts*

If I am not back soon, someone please inform the authorities
Jax FD is on speed dial.
 10of6
Msg: 146
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:23:51 PM
Okay, now I feel like a stooge. Here I thought it was an open discussion on energy rippling throughout the universe; what it ends up being is a karma-fest. My bad.
 Major_canadian
Msg: 147
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:40:56 PM
anyone hear of Tony Robbins? he's an infomercial dude from the 80's, aside from the imfomercials, i think he is a really brilliant guy, he says "know that it is your decisions, not your conditions, that control your life", enough said?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >