Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Ripple Effect      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 101
The Ripple EffectPage 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
hey red, you should rent a movie called "mind the gap". it's wonderful! (i love the music, too!) this is one of my favorite movies; all about the kinds of things you mentioned in your post.

i don't think i could ever know that i was the catalyst for anything...

i could think of ways in which a ripple affected me...

one of them was actually self-created and the details are too personal to share, but it did show me the value of compassion.
 WeAre1
Msg: 102
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:21:08 PM
ahhh....just sending a hug to this thread, for it's still one of my favorites and it's so lovely to see it resurrected again....

like the ripples in water moving out endlessly, may the ripples in our lives move us all towards a peaceful and loving humanity.

psssst
Msg: 103
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:28:46 PM
What an utterly profound thread… I had read this when it was first posted, but at that time I was a little consumed so didn’t respond… now it’s time to add my experience to this thread…

I know without a doubt that I’ve impacted lives in a huge way… some negative, but more positive. Just as I’m sure some cringe when they think of me, I know without a doubt that many people I admire smile at me… I know I’m loved.

Now for the difficult part of life… the inability to touch someone you truly care about.

I’m a prolific writer; I know what to say in what situation for the most part, and I can express myself in an eloquent manner. I write speeches and letters of recommendation for a variety of purposes; I write nominations for awards; media kits and a plethora of other formal documents. I could go on ad nauseum with my proven ability to articulate… but for the life of me, I don’t have the words to say to touch the life of the one person whose opinion matters to me.

Sometimes in our lives, it’s the still waters that are the most disturbing to our psyche.

Cheers Red… an absolutely fascinating topic as always…
 10of6
Msg: 104
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:40:26 PM
So...with 6.6 billion people on the planet, I'd think that many ripplers would cause abject havoc through chaos.

How about all the ripples caused by forces beyond our control? Each day, ton upon ton of space debris falls into or intersects earth's orbit. If one of those pieces of debris makes it through the atmosphere and hits the earth with a mass of 1/2 ton, much less than a car, the energy released would indeed cause a ripple.

Here's the energy without computing for impact force: Ripple = 0.5 x 186,000 squared, or roughly 93 kilotons. Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs weren't even close to that. (No physicist, I don't know how to factor in velocity, but it would magnify the force considerably).
 gentleplus
Msg: 105
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:46:39 PM
I totally see the ripples in my life even the awkward ones will teach me lessons of hope and joy...
 WeAre1
Msg: 106
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:50:00 PM
re: message 109......just goes to show how little stability there really is here......

I always thought energy ripples, whether we are aware of it or not......conscious or unconsciously, on many levels or realms, visible and invisible, in this time period and others concurrently (some say).....

And so to me the idea of the ripple (or butterfly) effect is far more unknown than known.

There's another thought - some say the universe is always working towards the highest good of all (even when that seems to be the opposite of what's going on)......so there is an idea that all ripples are absolutely meant to be, or they would not occur.
 msflis
Msg: 107
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:57:08 PM
^^^ But try telling that to the person who just got pooped on by a passing pigeon...

--Ms. Flis
 webweebil
Msg: 108
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:57:17 PM
The ancients used mandalas to describe our energies interacting with each other. Some philosophers and sages have challenged people to examine "their" thoughts. Some argue that most of the thoughts we hold are not even ours. To understand what our effect upon the world is, one would have to understand their true nature. What if all of the patterns of this holographic Universe are already in place - some Grand Design held in the eye of Brahma? Our individual, separate selves as actors on a stage are all illusion and our actions all pre-determined, or as one Terrance McKenna said, mirrors catching the reflections of the great disco ball that shoots off glints of light that are emanating from the great Escaton at the end of Time?
 seattlerain11
Msg: 109
The Soul Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:58:09 PM
In my spiritual beliefs I see the 'ripple effect' as our Soul, and it truly can and does live on long after our deaths.

Someone earlier feared Karmic retribution for all the poor minnows crushed by the boulders (s)he had thrown into the pond and the waves they have caused. Boulders aren't always bad, sometimes waves are vital and without waves and ripples the life in a pond would die from a lack of oxygen.

And all those "big waves" are often short-lived, while some of the small pebbles (as you see them) actually reach far into the future... further than you'd ever imagine.

Simply waving and and giving a drivers' wave to the man who cut you off can start a ripple that lasts for days... even if you don't know it.

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth
 10of6
Msg: 110
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:00:12 PM
Post 111: Yes, there is "rippling" going on every moment throughout the universe. So whether a person ripples right, or ripples left, or doesn't ripple a breath at all, with trillions of trillions of celestial matter vibrating to some frequency or another, the amount of inertia to overcome by one's little ripples is too vast to calculate.

So...does this begin to address the subject of "Fate?" When it does, wake me, please. The realm of the metaphysical, though convenient to our current culture of "feeling = knowledge," may be the only thing in the universe that occupies no space and has no mass.
 ~PumpKyn~
Msg: 111
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:20:44 PM

So...with 6.6 billion people on the planet, I'd think that many ripplers would cause abject havoc through chaos.
How about all the ripples caused by forces beyond our control?

This reminds of the villain from The Fifth Element; Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg
Love that movie.

He deliberately pushes an item off the table to create havoc...for his pleasure...
...something to do...evil and a manipulator.

Forces beyond our control are the day to day of life and difficult enough for most people to deal with let alone creating havoc due to lack of control, the pleasure or amusement or for the sake of other people's distress.
We all have moments of great grief or happiness disposed on us by the universe and life as it is.

People who are predisposed to creating those situations whether it be for pleasure or through ignorance or simply because they can without thinking of the consequences...the ripples....
...are people we should do our best to avoid as they will eventually earn in eternity what they do in life.

Make your motivations pure based on love, compassion, empathy and giving, not on what you want or what you can take...because if you begin something on anything less...it will eventually be a chapter in your life.

Just because you can do something...doesnt mean you should.
Do the best that you can do and think of others before yourself.

Which is not to say we should self sacrifice completely or become a martyr with our own giving...just try to draw a balance.

Let those ripples be ripples...and not waves of destruction.

Anybody can cause destruction. Its not a gift.

mellao4
Msg: 112
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 3:57:45 PM
OP

POF has been a ripple for me in itself.

Its amazing how some kind words that help reinforce your own views can help how one feels and react in certain situations.

I origianlly joined POF to hopefully make some friends and hoping it would eventuate into dating someone. But what I have found is far greater then dating. And for me to be saying that is amazing.

I have been in only two relationships in my life. I could not see myself being happy alone. I hated being alone. I believed that I couldnt survive without the love and affection of a man. I felt that I had to be the only one out there that felt the way I did as all of my friends and family said I was asking to much out of a relationship and told me I would always be alone. I believed this because on the dating part of POF no-one ever sent me a message or replied to them.

It has been in the forums that I have seen other peoples similar stories, opinions and it has reinfroced to me that my views, even though they are different to my freinds and family, are ok to have, because they are my own.

I feel I have found myself again and there is no greater feeling in the world.

I have a four year old daughter who I am the sole provider and career for, and I feel happy now to know that I can raise her so that she knows she is beautiful, she can do what ever she wants in life, and she can be whoever she wants and feel happy about herself. I can feel happy to know that I am going to be a positive ripple in her life.

I know that I would have always ended up on the path I belong on, but POF forums have help me get there so much quicker and I really appreciate that. Some of you know who you are, and some of you dont. So I would just like to thank you all.
 prettywitty54
Msg: 113
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/17/2008 4:58:08 PM
I've felt your Ripple all the way down through these brave women, all the way down to the last post of one most beautiful human being, Bullielover. She is an inspiration to me!
 BryWithAYFromCA
Msg: 114
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/17/2008 5:00:07 PM
Fine, I'll think about it . . . while skipping rocks into the lake.

Don't be paralyzed by fear. Go for it and adjust to the changes as they come, regardless of the source. Whoo hooo!!!!

Bry
 10of6
Msg: 115
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:39:13 PM
There's another thought - some say the universe is always working towards the highest good of all
Well...since you brought it up...

Out there in the great beyond there is no concept of good and evil...just is, or isn't...or even "becoming" when considering transitional protons or some subatomic particles. What every piece of matter ultimately faces is entropy, then decay, but who's to say if it's for the good of the order? Spiritualists and religionists would tell you something similar to what you offered.

Anybody can cause destruction. Its not a gift.
Here's one to stumble on: if God caused the Universe via The Big Bang, considering the energy released, wasn't that an act of destruction? Or at best, de-construction?

I learned quickly that to be able to see many more possibilities, a person needs to work to take off the "values" and "morals" filters from our eyes, ears and mouths.
 bullielover62
Msg: 116
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/19/2008 7:54:33 PM
Sending a hug to one of my sister girlfriends above me .... PrettyWitty54.

I've been thinking about this thread lately... and how many of us are completely clueless
as to the power of our own being... whether that being is quiet and as gentle as the morning
dew, or brash and strong as a tidal wave....

We all have a lot of shit going on in our lives.... not all bad, but for the most part, life is tuff...
and as we trod on and do our best to deal and cope, how often do we look next to us or behind
us to see what our neighbor or the stranger sitting a few rows back is doing?

Our pain, our struggles, our challenges are all relative. Some are huge and the burden seems
insurmountable and some are mere speed bumps laid down just to keep us honorable....

And some are devastating. Some are breaking spirits as we sit here and read, thinking of our
next witty, dry repartee to impart to the masses here.... cutting up with sarcasm and humor
to drown whatever is going on in our own lives. Some are barely able to type a cognitive
sentence because their own pain is numbing them and they can't seem to find the strength to
get out of bed or leave their homes or look in the mirror for fear of what might stare back at them....

This thread has given so much hope to so many. You only need to read the pain and the
ultimate courage in the words written to know that ripples are only there to smooth over
the shit that we're dealt with daily.

The ripples are there to polish us and make us more beautiful, stronger and wiser than we
were prior to being hit with that wave, that pulsating ripple that never seems to stop....

We get choices with each one that comes.... stand strong against it... bracing for the inevitable,
refusing to budge and ultimately getting mired in the muck and debris.....
Or roll with it this time.... allowing it to wash over us with a cleansing rush of life....

Because life doesn't stop. And the ripples and waves continue.... and are hitting those of
us right now and are ya noticing??

Are you seeing the ripples or are you standing with your back against it... bracing with all
your *might*, thinking you won't be affected??

And if you are watching... noticing and seeing it coming.... are you also noticing the pebbles
nearby... and are ya asking yourself if they might need your presence so they don't get the
full force of the next blow....

And do you allow your ripple to move closer so that you can be there for them when their
ripple hits them.....
 Theodocius
Msg: 117
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/19/2008 10:15:56 PM
Ughh I painfully learned about that ripple effect lately, a small altercation became something huge, just one text message to change everything, but such is life lol
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 118
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:22:17 PM

She is an inspiration to me!

She and a host of others[guys & gals] here ;who talk the talk and walk the walk.

The 'forum diva's' rock as they been there,done that and there ripple does take hold

for those who what to know that Mars and Venus are not that really far apart in

common good, for all...
 ~Myth~
Msg: 119
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 2:11:33 PM
Red . . .with Thanksgiving around the corner . . . I want to share my “Thanks” for this year . . .and me thinks that your thread is the ideal place to say “Thank you to yalllll!!.”

Many of my friends/family (especially Men from this site) are baffled as to why I’m a forum junkie . . . they can’t grasp the impact that individuals as yourself, Red, have had on my life . . . and I’m sure they have their reservations about me cuz I do enjoy reading the forums and stalking (in a loving way of course) my “favorites” . . . but I feel like a child in Disneyland . . . overwhelmed and at awe with the wealth of insight/wisdom, etc., etc., etc. in these aguas.

You see, I was married at the very ripe age of 14 y/o . . . so I lived a very sheltered life all my life. I was verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry naive to say the least . . . (I know hard to believe with “Me?? NAÏVE???” - hehehhee) . . . But very true!!! I honestly believed that alllllllllll human beings were kind and good hearted . . . and there was NO MALICE in this world. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuch sweeet days . . .but not healthy at allllll.

Then 7 years ago (divorce), I was tossed in to the real world and thus began my REAL journey.

Thanks to the last 2 years of being in the forums . . . (although I spent most of the early days in “Ban Camp” . . . I call them the rebellious years! – LMAO!!!) . . I’ve grown and can accept the world with it’s bad . . . and it’s good. I know that the forums have been my catharsis . . . [Nooooo, Red that type of catharsis – LMFAO!!!!] . . . but mainly I’ve shared my personal experiences with the hope that I might spare at least one human-being the pain/grief that I’ve inflected upon myself due to my bad choices.

So I have to thank those who have shared . . . . and those that don’t even know that their grief/pain/experience or lack of experience or adversity - unjust or self-inflected . . . have spared me the pain by learning from their sharing . . . and have help become who I am . . . [*a REAL “Sheeeee-devil” - j/k about the sheee-devil!*]

I truly believe had it not been for the profound RIPPLE effect of these stories . . . I would not be where I am now . . . at peace with reality. . . . at peace with self . . . I can say that I have grown up and have managed to keep my heart intact despite the cruelty and malice that does exist in this world . . . I am verrrry THANKFUL for the outcome.

I know that someday I will no longer surf the forums for answers . . . but the everlasting, RIPPLE effect has been soooooooo profound in sculpturing me . . . molding me . . . that without a doubt . . . the “RIPPLE” will forever be the core of my existence. . . .

This was thinking of you Red . . . .
A wannabe butterfly hoping to leave if not a meaningful . . . at least a pleasant ripple effect in life . . .[~Myth~]

[*turning to look both ways . . . . shhhhhhhh . . .whispering: “Ya know I’ll fly to the moon and back for ya batttttter . . .shhhhh . . .offer is still open!”. . . wink-wink*]

Thank yal . . . wishing and hoping yal take delight in the little things life has to offer on Thanksgiving Day . . . [Damn!!! . . . where is the Turkey Icon? . . . ooooh well!]

~Myth~
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 120
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 3:38:03 PM

Thank yal . . . wishing and hoping yal take delight in the little things life has to offer on Thanksgiving Day . . . [Damn!!! . . . where is the Turkey Icon? . . . ooooh well!]

What a beautiful post Myth!

I loved the way you exercised your options by substituting the moose for the turkey but I have just one question.... Isn't that moose gonna be hard to stuff in your oven???

ItsMargo
Msg: 121
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 3:49:38 PM
But where will Myth put the batteries?

LOL... Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post Myth! I haven't spent as much time around here lately, but I always get drawn back to catch a "wisdom hit" from my fav's. Thanks to all of you and hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving (even if it is at the wrong time of the year *wink*)
 msflis
Msg: 122
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:10:35 PM

Isn't that moose gonna be hard to stuff in your oven???

That's a moose? I thought it was a reindeer!

--Ms. Flis
 CompletelyDone
Msg: 123
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:15:40 PM

That's a moose? I thought it was a reindeer!

I came... I saw... I squinted.... squinted again...

Yup... that's a reindeer...

But... the question remains... How is she gonna get that sucker in her oven???

msflis
Msg: 124
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:18:38 PM
Ms. Flis waits for the innuendo-loaded answers to come flooding in...
 WeAre1
Msg: 125
view profile
History
The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/21/2008 4:22:13 PM
gosh, i've been hanging out writing poetry for the last three months...but it's wonderful to stop by here and see you all....perfect time of the year to say so many thanks for the stepping stones - many stepping stones i've touched on here in the forums.....

and yes, how can she fit moose or reindeer in her oven??? a bit like my trying to fit a turkey in my toaster oven actually.....so, no, ms flis...editing to add, no innuendo from me this time for I really must figure this out before Thursday! :)

hugs to all.....and if don't get a chance, have a wonderful holiday season and start to the new eternity also....whatever that may be, let it be one where the ripples are like glistening sunshine rising and setting on the ocean of our lives.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The Ripple Effect