Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Rachel Ray a Terrorist?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SAguy_06
Msg: 1
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
OOVO MY GOD...

I was watching cable news the other day when it was reported that Dunkin Doughnuts cancelled a Rachel Ray commercial for Iced coffee because bloggers and other internet geeks commented the the scarf Rachel had around her neck looked like the traditional headress of Palestinians-the Kaffiyeh... thus labeling her as a Palestinian cause sympathizer, and calling her scarf "Jihadi Chic".

Actually, the Kaffiyeh is worn through out the middle east, and comes in many variations. The Saudis use a all white version, Pakastanis use color variations, and the Palestinis use the black on white, like Arafat wore.

Well I dont know Ray politics, but did D D ask her if she was wearing a Kaffiyeh?
Why did D D cave in to bloggers?

The internet is a powerful tool, but even a hammer in the hands of a fool can cause harm.

I think I'm gonna drive past D D and go to Winchell's...
 bizeebee
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/30/2008 5:38:43 PM
Well it never crossed my mind that the scarf made her look like a terrorist. I do think the stylist who chose it should be fired...it was not pretty or flattering, that is the real crime.
BZB
 SAguy_06
Msg: 3
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/30/2008 7:39:38 PM
I didnt wany to give Michelle any play...
 IndigoPanda
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/30/2008 7:55:09 PM
Even though the Kaffiyeh is worn by mostly US Special Forces (SEALs and Green Berets) in Afghanistan, they where it for functional purposes and to blend in with the NATIVES.

However RR wearing it is Jihadi Chic. Just look at some of the advertising out there. Revlon, Target, Kraft, etc... are all coming out with islamic influenced advertising, women with their heads covered, entire bodies covered barely showing their faces, it seems the Liberal Media and Corporate America in some cases are showing their true colors.

See we are nice, do not kill us Mr. Terrorist, we will live by your Sharia law

It is enough to make one sick...

God Bless America!!
 gentalltheway
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/30/2008 8:14:21 PM
DAMN !!! DAMN !!! DAMN !!! It was a perfect plan! What the hell are they going to do with all those arsenic filled jelly doughnuts??? Back to the drawing board!

The stupidity of some is astonishing!

On the plus side, it certainly gives the rest of the world who will see such stupidity a good laugh.
 flyguy51
Msg: 6
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/30/2008 8:21:32 PM
Keith Olbermann pointed this out-- what's funny is that McCain's daughter also seems to like this controversial fashion:

http://gawker.com/5003288/mccain-daughter-dons-islamic-terror-scarf

Michelle Malkin even has one of these photos on her website! She's a bipartisan hater, at least.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 7
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:40:16 AM
Symblolism...

So does this mean I cant wear a bandana on my head when I cut the grass, cuz I might be mistaken for a Cholo from EastLos and get smoked in a ridding mower drive-by...(shout-out to the hommies on Firestone and 90th...F13)

I guess the only thing Rach could have worn around her neck was an American flag, but Im sure the"Conservatively Rebellious Swarm" would have griped about that too.

Lets ask the millons of Middle-Easteners if the cloth they use about their head and shoulders to keep their brains from frying in the baking sun, is a symbol of terror.

I dont know Ray's politics, but I can guess with all the cash she's raking in, she not gonna step on any toes.

Im sad that in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave,(play ball), how we like to lable people. Ray didnt have the Palestinian flag around her neck.

Makes me wonder what people are smoking in their Hookahs these days...
 SAguy_06
Msg: 8
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:48:58 AM
Oh by the way...

When I first started the thread, I knew about both Malkin and Littlegreenfootballs, I just didnt want to given them play.

My thought wasn't if the Kaffiyeh was a symbol, it was that bloggers were calling for a boycott of Dunkin because of scarf Ray had on.

That gives me more terror than any rag.
 69thfathom
Msg: 9
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 5/31/2008 12:30:24 PM
Rachel Ray a terrorist? Well her 'Spicy Chicken' is the bomb. Hmmmm. Now it all makes sense! I'll bet Mario Batalli is her cell leader.

Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:34:12 PM
Krispy Kreme is closer, anyway, it's no sacrifice for me to boycott Dunkin Donuts if it comes to that.
They shouldn't mess with Rachel.
 get_mad_baby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/1/2008 10:02:24 PM
Dunkin Donuts is owned by the Carlyle Group
 SAguy_06
Msg: 13
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:45:26 PM
Lara...

Again...when I posted the RR a terrorist question...I didnt have a problem with anyone protesting. I questioned the reasoning.

When the Nazi party used the Swastika as their party's symbol, how many other moderen societies or Peoples were using Swastika as their national or cultural symbol?
If you can, name me three...None, right.

The Kaffiyeh is used today through out the whole of the Middle East. It is not some archaic symbol.

I dont think we can still look at the world in a black and white manner, truth is differing hues of gray. One man's "Terrorist" is another man's "Freedom Fighter".
Two individials come to mind...Nelson Mandela and Menachen Begin.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:07:14 PM

well, the swastika was around way before hitler highjacked it too. it didn't used to have such an evil conotation. of course, now it does, and noone would ever dream of parading THAT symbol ANYWHERE

Which is a HUGE difference with a kaffiyeh scarf as the scarf is still use all across the Middle east, parts of Asia and Africa as well. But it’s usage is mainly to protect people from the harsh weather...sun, wind and sand. So, your comparison is quite flawed if you ask me.

personally, i could care less about the whole scarf thing.

You couldn’t care less??? YIKES!!! You did fooled me on that one.

but to act like it's no big deal is completely ludicrous

It’s more like...To make a big deal out of it is completely ludicrous.

to acuse those who simply pointed out the fact that this IS making a political statement of being racist, xenophobic, and bigoted...is moronic. it's basically shooting the messager.

Simply pointing out??? Are you kidding me??? The messenger deserves to be shoot! She is a trouble maker!

IT IS PECIEVED AS A PRO-PALESTINIAN-ANTI-ISRAELI SYMBOL IN THE ISLAMIC WORLD

Only to a few right wing who TRULY don’t have anything better to do than to look for problems. The vast majority will perceive it as for what it is. A SCARF!!!

people on the right are too busy going to work, running thier businesses, etc. to have the time to even bother with such bologne....
people on the right rarely protest... we leave that up to the perpetually angry left

Reaaaalllly??? Who again started this bullshit???

Geraldo Rivera said it best.... "Michelle Malkin is the most vile, hateful commentator I've ever met in my life,"

As far as I am concerned, she’s a waste of time!

http://www.crooksandliars.com/category/right-wing-pundits/michelle-malkin/
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:05:36 PM
I bought my cup of coffee at McDonalds this morning.
See there, DD is losing money already.
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 16
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:29:25 AM
Yes we have stop Rachel Ray and stop Santa Clause too. He wears a red suit and if you rearrange the letters in "Santa" you get "Satan"!!!!!!
 The_Fat_Bandit
Msg: 17
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:11:50 AM
Just a note: the swastika is only a symbol of evil in the Western world. In India the swastika is a symbol of I believe correctly hope and prosperity. (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) But it is a good symbol. It comes from the language of Sanskrit. And one of the funniest things I ever saw was on this National Geographic show where they take a upper middle class American family and drop them for 9 days somewhere else in the third world, and well they took this Jewish family and dropped them in India, and in this temple in India the swastika was everywhere. The Indian father of the family there was so proud of the swastika and the hope it brings, he all said people in India believe that the they are the ancestors of the German people, and their two groups are Arryans. So how that for a symbol not being a symbol.

And in most of the world the Red Cross is a symbol of help...but in the Muslim world the Red Cross is a symbol of evil going back to the Crusades. In Muslim countries they don't have Red Cross blood services they have the Red Crescent.

So it is all about perception, and fear, and hate. Anyone can take any symbol and us it for a symbol of evil. I believe the "Golden Arches" and the "Falling Prices Guy" are symbols of evil.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:16:52 PM
Company image is very important, and companies spend a lot of money developing it. If Dunkin Donuts wants to use a specific spokesperson to endorse their product or if they don't want to use a particular person, well ... it's their advertising budget. This whole flap is certainly giving them a lot of publicity, though probably not the kind they wanted.
 chocolatekandi
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:44:57 PM
I have learned to examine the one who points the finger.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:44:50 PM
We're importing most of our oil from Canada, and I, for one, am grateful for that.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:40:50 PM
I think it takes a peculiarly twisted kind of paranoid mindset to imagine RR's paisley scarf as a keffiyeh (which would actually be worn over the head, not around the neck). IMHO it wasn't especially flattering to her, and as penance her fashion consultant should be forced to watch every episode of "Queer Eye."

I've seen most of RR's shows, and I've never heard any thing to suggest she has any leanings at all toward supporting terrorists, and I think that's what the foaming-at-the-mouth right-wingers have missed. Her career and her lifestyle and her history simply don't support the allegations.
 Rythmn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Rachel Ray a Terrorist?
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:44:38 PM
this is absurd. if i were her, i'd put some "extra virgin olive oil" in their coffee!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Rachel Ray a Terrorist?