Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 22
view profile
History
The true state of Iraqi security forces todayPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I draw a disability pension for life because of my injuries sustained during combat and one friendly fire incident. I was not in a combat unit, however, I was in combat. This makes me a combat veteran.

Wouldn't that also make a toddler injured by a stray round during a firefight a "combat veteran"? A non-combatant is a non-combatant whether or not they are injured during action between combatants. A disability claim simply reflects injure "on the job", being the job is a part of the military.
Since y'all keep bringing it up.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 25
view profile
History
The true state of Iraqi security forces today
Posted: 6/7/2008 9:44:56 AM
Actually that is NOT what I said. Either you are willfully blind on this or just choosing a battle where there is none.
I stated that to the best of my knowledge that US military still bars women from any active combat roles with the possible exception of pilots or naval service, and actually I had asked if that was still the case. I also am well aware that some countries do infact have women in actual combat roles, that doesn't mean your country is one of them. So an airforce fighter or bomber pilot that goes on combat mission (male or female it make not a bit of difference) IS a combat veteran, while a cook or a mechanic that takes a round or two is not a combat veteran just by virtue of being shot anymore than the examples in my previous post would be a combat veteran.
This has nothing to do with anything anti-woman, and everything to do with your use of "combat veteran" status to claim your "feelings" or "views" hold more weight than those of others, while the others provide verifiable facts to back up their opinion(which we can check and debate further if we wish). So in opposition to your view and your assertion that you know better than anyone else I simply called you on that statement, to which you admitted having never actually been part of any combat group.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2008 5:48:41 PM

Have you served in the military? I have. I'll take her words over yours any day of the week. As will most of her brothers and sisters in the US Armed Forces. I don't expect you to understand, but that's the way it is. I'm not sure what you mean by "false crutch", care to expound on that?

Actually I have military experience, not that it has any bearing on the topic at hand. Ask your brothers or sisters in the US military what they thought of Canadian sniper spotter teams and their performance in Afghanistan, hell ask them how many non-combatants those teams have taken out.

If you are to call an Iraqi fighting an occupying force a terrorist, you must also call all American revolutionaries terrorists aswell. Most were just common citizens, not in any uniform unhappy with what they felt was a government which did not represent their wishes. Are any of you trying to imply that the US actually represents the wishes of your average Iraqi rather than strictly American interests in the region or the interests of corporate America?
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2008 3:33:25 AM
Touchdown since you say they are never seem on the battlefield, perhaps you should question your sources for reliability.

The kill, one of more than 20 unofficially accredited to Canadian snipers during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley, beat the 35-year-old record of 2,500 yards, or 2,250 metres, set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock in Duc Pho, South Vietnam.

from www.snipercountry.com/articles/killingshot_2430metres.asp
And notice how many civilians they hit. Unlike the sniper in the next story.

updated 9:22 p.m. ET, Fri., June. 6, 2008
SAN DIEGO - A Marine sniper has been charged with two counts of voluntary manslaughter in the shooting deaths of two civilians in Iraq.

Sgt. John Winnick II also has been charged with aggravated assault against two other civilians and failing to adhere to the military's rules of engagement.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25011867/
So really I'd suggest that living under Saddams rule was quite realistically safer, as there was only one wingnut to be concerned about. Medical aid could be had, water, electricity could be had, and sectarian violence was not the issue it is now right under the noses of British and American forces. Also I might point out that in a country such as this it is unlikely that Iraqs own security forces will be very equitable in dealing with sectarian issues, check-points have been known to display logos/slogans supporting one side or the other.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2008 9:18:35 AM
Not to be picky but did everyone overlook this big red flag.

"We have to rebuild a national Iraqi army, not built on sects, but the same way they built up the Anbar police," he said. "They must be well-armed, so they will be able to protect the country and all the American interests in the area.

Why would ANY Iraqi care about "American interests in the area". I can't see many in say Mobile, Jacksonville, Buffalo, or Sacramento giving much thought to "protecting German interests in the area", or French, or Canadian..... It is your country and within your borders should YOUR interests not be first and foremost?
Just saying I smell a puppet, same as Saddam was for decades before.
 show me please
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:38:11 AM
we are winning in iraq!

there is less violence, conditions there improve everyday for everyone there!

lets salute president bush for this EXCELLENT turnaround!

maybe the biggest turnaround since the CIVIL WAR!
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 10:12:03 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion on how to get out of there...I say we have two choices - 1, get the women and kids out, go full-scale and flat out take over. Then SLOWLY give bits and pieces back as they handle things peacefully and get things working. That should take about a 100 yrs or so, give or take.... I don't think the rest of the middle east will go for that plan either.

So kill everyone with a penis.... How enlightened of you. Not to mention stupid because some little girl will learn to fly a plane to kill as many of those b4stards that killed her father and older brother as she can. Besides you know the full scale assault model uses zero targeting and kills many women and children (who must be innocent because of age and gender).

The other choice is find the strongest tribe (at this point I'm thinkin' Sunni but they've both been horrible at different time in history) and let them take over, give a 30 day time out to let people take cover, then get out.

This sort of idiotic meddling in the middle east by fools without any real understanding of it is why we are where we are today.
Name one single despot propped up by America that hasn't caused alot of trouble down the road....... Ho Chin Minh, General Noriega, Saddam Hussien, and yes the evil Taliban..... Do you see a pattern yet?

The thing is, we're trying to force a democracy on a people who live under a tribal system. The only time that's worked in history is when the invading country took over and wiped out the culture of the tribes. (think Ireland, Scotland vs. England - Rome vs. everyone else - Europeans vs Native Americans). Do we really want to try to westernize their speech, clothing, food, etc. etc. etc.? Does anyone think that would work?

Iran a country which has not invaded another country in 3 centuries had a democratically elected government...... which the US toppled to prevent them from nationalizing their oil fields.

They must be willing to stay in their homes and take a stand. Decide that anyone (even from their family) who conducts torture or murder is 'the bad guy' and turn them in.

Thin ice there, your perfect apple-pie troops are verified as committing torture. So is your CIA, atleast the FBI knew enough to walk away when they couldn't change the practice although they should have started a sh1t-storm by taking it to the media instead of objecting in silence. Physical evidence of torture at Guantanimo Bay and Abu Gharib has come to light after all.

As for your comments regarding Nona.... I haven't caught up fully on this thread yet but last I saw she side-stepped actually stating what exactly her role there was.
 oddandy
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/27/2008 11:57:27 AM

It's quite plain that it serves somebodies self interest to stir the pot, to keep the killing and anarchy going. However the Iraqis are now deciding it's in their interests to stop the anarchy.

I'd just like to point out that there is no anarchy in Iraq. Anarchy being the absence of rulers.

Thank you for your support
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >