Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many people have actually went on a date using this site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 QtrOfCentury
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How many people have actually went on a date using this site?Page 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
women on this site should start being honest in the profile. here are some examples.

I went out with one girl who said she was "outgoing" and doesnt like "lame boring people" in her profile, she was reserved and shy, and was like pulling teeth to find something interesting to talk about.

One girl stated she was "an independent woman i dont need a man but i wouldnt mind one" yada yada, later i found out she feels a man should pay on the first date! Go women's lib! (I personally feel whoever asks who out should pay)

Then you have the classic girl who will go on a dating website and then say "shes not looking for any type of relationship im just here for friends" and then wonder why no one takes her profile seriously. Hehe.

oh wait what was this thread about again, oops
 QtrOfCentury
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How many people have actually went on a date using this site?
Posted: 6/11/2008 10:36:57 PM
Yeah i'm pretty much with you on that one. I've gone out with 3 girls so far from this site in less than a month but with each date, i chose to go out thinking "They're fun, let's see if they are in person too" and each time i was a bit disappointed. Actually there's one girl on here, beautiful girl, a model, she was really cool but didn't seem to have much connection with me. I wanted to go out a second time and she made plans with me to go to a show. The day of the show I was getting ready to call her to let her know when I was coming to pick her up, and she text messaged me saying that she was going to south beach instead because I did not call her. Umm Hello??? The show was going to be at 11:59 PM and i was calling you at 6:00 Pm to let you know when im coming. So i didnt even reply to her when she canceled on me. A week later she texts me saying she wants to go out again. Umm you stood me up and i blew 60 bucks on tickets and plus dinner and drinks and activities. Sure i'll go out again but you owe me 60 bucks and i'm not buying you dinner. Oh i forgot i live in South Florida, the "orange county" of the south. I should not have expected more right? I'm rolling dutch if anything on my next date. I might even solicit for gas money after the dates i've had.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/19/2008 9:33:47 PM
LOL...well, five years of being here, mostly on, but sometimes off...

I have had two serious relationships...met several at POF functions who I ended up dating...met a few others who ended up joining, that I dated...and most importantly, met some really phenomenal women who have become my bestest friends! ;O) Plus the platonic guys...priceless! (No wonder POF is free! They could not attach a fair price tag to it! ;O)) Oh...and one marriage proposal!

I prefer to converse with someone for a while before actually dating...really depends on how in-depth our emails get...if we progress to the phone, etc.

As far as sending gifts...umm...it would scare me if you should NOT have my address, and you otherwise do! ;O) But no...sending a lot of emails is not something I would be turned off, by!

The only thing that really scares me here...are the ones who send an intial email asking you out for coffee or dinner or whatever...and you glance at a profile to actually see...NOTHING THERE. I mean, how can one base a decision on little or no information? I think some people just don't "get it" that a site such as this is so that you can get to know someone well enough, prior to asking them out on a date!
 miraclgal
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/20/2008 6:02:55 AM
The last "man" to ask me out from this site was a hoot. He called and asked if I wanted to go listen to a band. This was at a country western bar connected to a truckstop.He then proceded to tell me WE could go if I Helped him out with gas..... Maybe $15.00.LOL
I said then if thats what I wanted to do,then why wouldn't I put gas in my car,and go by myself.....WOW
 Dceeeee
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/22/2008 1:27:03 PM
Well, I'm very selective about who I date. If there is no interest, I won't waste my time or OUR money....I'd rather be alone. I have been on a couple of meets, and only dated one who ended up being an LTR that I moved from CA to PA to be with. We lived together for 8 months. It was good while it lasted, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I've seen enough successes in my friends, so I definitely believe that it works!!!

~DC~
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/22/2008 6:34:29 PM

Personally, a lot of those pof' gift things would also be a turn off, just fyi. One is a sweet, cheerful gesture, but sending them over and over just makes me wonder why you're overcompensating. Besides--they're pixels on a screen.

Are THOSE the gifts that the OP was referring to?! I feel doofus now! LMAO I thought he meant actual gifts, not the virtual sort!!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:03:17 AM
Boo!

Yes...the women here are awesome...you fellas need to get off your booties and ask them out! ;)

Vinny! I am the sort who prefers some getting to know one another before an actual date...but whereas you don't hear from them after a week or two, I find too many men do not want to invest time in communicating and they are the ones who stop contact. I don't like fast food or speed dating!

But really...I rarely get asked out...unless it is a first contact sort of thing..."let's have drinks sometime?" FIRST contact!!...and when that happens, their profiles usually consist of 2 lines that don't tell me jack sh1t about them...so they are banking on the physical traits, only. Yuck. Even more so Yuck when they do not even have a photo of themselves!
 Dceeeee
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/27/2008 12:47:56 PM
I prefer to get to know something about the man I'm going to meet. It's not paranoia....it's more the fact that I don't know if I'm INTERESTED in meeting until I know alittle SOMETHING about them.

Some guys will send emails and every one of them says not much more than, "Hi. How was your day?" and tells me nothing. I'll answer in some detail and make sure there is a question that he can answer....same thing....and no answer to my question. After 5 or 6 of these emails, he thinks I should be ready to meet! I still don't know anymore about him than I did with the first email! It's not about the quantity of emails....it's about the quality. Some men just don't get it.

Then, there are the ones who want to meet right away but refuse to send a pic. I said, "How will I know you when I find you? Geez!" No thanks....that's a big red flag to me.

....and about the virtual gifts...they are nice after an interest has been established, but when it is overdone at the very beginning, it seems awfully desperate. JMO

~DC~
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/27/2008 1:04:17 PM
I agree, DC! I mean, I thought the whole point of internet dating, was to bypass the deadzone dates one can run into...by getting to know the person before the date?! (That is what it has been for me!) If it's just another method of meeting...blah.

Yeah...those emails, "Hey...how ya' doin'? spark nada of interest in me. I mean, if you are trying to get to know someone...have some substance, already! ;)

The funniest thing about those virtual gifts...when someone sends an "I love you" bear or whatever...on the first contact! Argh!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/27/2008 2:23:53 PM

Save some things for later conversations.

No offense...lol...but this just cracks me up! I mean, if you have to worry about running out of things to say as early as the first few dates...what's going to happen in a year or so?! LOL I could talk to someone for months prior to meeting, and still have things to say/discover. ;)
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/27/2008 5:26:24 PM
^^^^^

~OT~ I've met two people via POF. Both were nice guys. Much more attractive in person than pics. Both honest about their lives, etc. Overall ~ I'd say I was lucky to have met them both even though neither were my Mr. Right For Me. I learned a little from one of them, a lot from the other. And so I feel pretty fortunate. (Too bad that averages to one man every two years here.....sigh.)
 Javan2
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/30/2008 3:39:43 PM
My first two weeks on this site and I was dating. The woman was ok, but the problem I had was that she would call me and then would have nothing to say. I loved her natural scent, but it really bothered me to have her call me and then not talk. If you have nothing to say, "Leave me alone until you do, please, Ladies."
 fetish4u
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2008 6:59:58 PM
I met my last girlfriend online.Not here but another dating site about 18 months ago.She asked me out and I said ok.We ended up dating for 6 months.We had about 4 e-mails and a phone conversation.We just found we weren't ment for each other.We parted on good terms though.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/13/2008 8:12:35 PM
Met quite a few men from online. Don't know where else to go: most of the activities I'm involved in seem to be women-dominated. Mostly good experiences even if I didn't want a second date. Was stood up once which is a really rude thing to do to anyone.

Met the last guy I dated here. Did not end on good terms. I felt he was the man for me, but he couldn't hold up his end. Very disappointing!

Nutt
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/15/2008 8:31:45 PM
Oh yes, unless I am completely uninterested, I will meet someone after one message. What's the point in waiting after all. So long as you meet someone in a safe, populated setting and don't give out your home address and phone number, etc, you shouldn't have a problem.

In actuality, for a period of time, I met every person who expressed interest. I decided that maybe I was not meeting someone special because I was hung up on a certain type.

lol That didn't work either. :-p

Nutt
 jillsh
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2008 10:23:09 PM
Good question , went to coffee three times with a bloke ,seemed nice told him i wasn't into one night stands , never seen him again . had a fella arrange a time and didn't turn up
. track record pretty damn sad and i am no dragon so i really can't say i have had a proper date lol
 richcreamyhot
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/15/2008 10:27:27 PM
I HAVE, BUT MOST OF THEM SUCKS.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/16/2008 10:37:53 AM
Met one a year ago, dated "long distance", relocated to find out within hours of moving to another state he was a 99% fake. Odly enough, he turned it around and said I should have never moved there ( he knew damn well I moved because of him..shame shame on me). Met someone AFTER #1, thought he was normal, to find out, he can not be alone. He was e mialing anyone and everyone, even out of the country, to find "love". Only way I found out #2's drama, was he e mailed one of the "out of country women", and sent it to me instead. (LMFAO) DUH!!!!!!!! So, needless to say, so far I have not met a decent man. But it happens in person to people as well, not just on line. Hey, if I meet someone, great. If not, no biggie.
 scarter78
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2008 8:17:34 AM
I had a few dates. Exchange numereous emails before meeting. I don't think I would feel comfortable meeting someone after 1 or 2 emails. All of my experiences have been good. Haven't had any hell dates. Well, not yet. lol.
 FloridaMusicMan
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/18/2008 10:43:25 AM
So far I have met one person,had a few dates and enjoyed every one.When I email a Lady,I try to be open and talk about the things we may have in common and ask her if she is interested to drop me a note.I would encourage anybody dating from any website to email,phone and make sure you see a picture that is current(less than 6 months old).Cam's are awsome for insuring your seeing that person.Not all dates work out,I have been fortunate so far and met a couple wonderful Ladies from other sites.
 nocalsingledad
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2008 3:31:10 PM
"Who has been on a date?"

MEMEMEME!

" How many emails, phone calls, im's, or whatever before you went on the date?"

Maybe one or two. I'm not all that interested in dating an IM window or email client or building up a bunch of imaginary notions of what the person might be. I would rather go out and chat face to face or take a walk or have a beer or dinner or something. I am also not interested in people who are phobic about actually meeting real people face to face. It's fine if they are and that's their thing, I am just not really interested in dealing with it. If a person can't bring themselves to go someplace in public and have a sandwich and something to drink, then I am not the right person for them.
 BRANDnooMEE
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/18/2008 4:04:09 PM
Funny I should come across this Forum today. I met a very nice gentleman from this site just last night. I had a very wonderful time (no sex or even sexual inuendoes). But my question here is, if he doesn't call again, does one just assume he didn't enjoy himself as much as you did, or is he shy and is waiting for the green light from you or what? This one I didn't want to get away. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you all know......

There was one phone call and less than ten e-mails exchanged before we met.

I enjoy receiveing a response of interest that may or may not include a"virtual gift,"
but one that does state what in my profile attracted him. How did my profile stand out from all the rest.
 kelowna local
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/29/2008 12:49:51 AM
I signed up here only 2-3 weeks ago, and have gone on 5 "meet ups". I figured What the hell, lets save time and meet up right away, sometimes after just a few emails(I hate the IM thing). The first guy looked absolutely nothing like his picture, and it seemed obvious(to me anyways) that we had nothing in common, I actually think he didn't even read my profile after speaking to him. The next, I went in cynical, but it turned out to be a great time, we're actually going out again this week.
Had 2 meet ups that was obvious there wasn't going to be any connection, but still had fun and am glad we met, and then I met Mr Creepo that made me hide my profile. He wasn't my "type" at all, but I figured just dating my type obviously hasn't gotten me too far, so why not try something new. We met for a walk, and I thought we were off to a good start, as he looked exactly like his picture. Walked for about an hour, seemed like an all right guy, I told him I would be going out to a local pub that evening, and he said he might show up, and I invited him to say hi if he saw me there....everything seemed all good. Then when I checked my email when I got home he had left a weird message asking what I "really wanted", apparently he thought we were meeting for a random hook up, and then he implied I was a prude and should be more open minded..but using insults. Anyways, a friend of mine was on this site 3 years ago,and when I started telling the story, she finished it for me,same name ,story and attitude,lol and then he just disappears.
Could have been way worse, but made me want to take a break for a bit. My suggestion would be to send a few emails, and get the dealbreaker questions out of the way before meeting.
 Vannili
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2008 10:18:03 AM
I am new on this site, I met a nice guy here but it does not mean that we are meant for each other yet, to go for intimacy and relationship, it takes time to know a person personally.
 kelowna local
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/29/2008 12:56:33 PM
lol Thank you, thats what I think too...I also had at the bottom for anyone looking for intimate encounters to not respond. If I go back on again I think I'll put looking to hang out...but then will that imply I want it all to hang out?lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How many people have actually went on a date using this site?