Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 itechman63
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Taking Back America - Can A Republican President Do It?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
No.

The Democrats won Congress when the Republicans had 100% control of all three branches of government. Then the Democratic majority hasn't even tried to slow down the descent into the abyss during their time.

If you look for solutions in the current two-party system, then America will never exist again as what we studied in our history books in school. It hasn't for a long time.
 oldkid
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Taking Back America - Can A Republican President Do It?
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:55:20 AM
Yes, a Republican President can take back America; so can a Democrat. What it really takes is someone who is more interested in solving our problems than playing politics; someone with an open mind who is willing to listen to people with opposing views and find the common ground.

I think the key is electing a President that is closer to the political center than either the right or left; that is where the majority of Americans are politically!! Now if we could only figure out how to eliminate the members of congress that are stuck out on the left or right fringes.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:32:10 AM
Yes, a republican president could take back America, but definitely not John McCain. His negatives far outweigh his positives.

First of all, I've known both McCain and Perot for over 20 years each. They don't like each other and never have. There are a lot of personal reasons why, reasons that aren't written about in the press. The fact that Perot doesn't like him is hardly a reason not to vote for McCain. Obviously as a businessman Perot isn't going to be thrilled that anyone supports CAFTA/NAFTA, that is not the overwhelming reason for the feud.

Perot's real problem with McCain is that he believes the senator hushed up evidence that live POWs were left behind in Vietnam and even transferred to the Soviet Union for human experimentation, a charge Perot says he heard from a senior Vietnamese official in the 1980s.

I can tell you that isn't true, and in any event Humint was looking at China, not Russia. However, no POWs were ever found. I just can't tell you how I know that. Humint was actually worth something in the 1970s before we stupidly decided that drones and satellites could do what a human infilltrating a terror cell could do.

As far as the rest of the issues you mentioned, these have been problems for some time and they're going to continue to be problems. Not only have H-1B visas made a dent in the jobs for Americans in the high tech industry, foreign long distance tech support has done the same thing. The question is, do you want cheap goods? If you do, our companies will be manufacturing goods overseas and using cheaper labor. That hurts jobs in this country.

If you keep the jobs and don't use foreign labor and manufacturing, you bring the jobs back and also $2500 lap tops. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sure you can find people to pick lettuce for $50 an hour, but can you find someone to pick it for $4 or $2 an hour? That's the rub. Farmers pay illegals under the table, and the illegals can't say anything about the pay. They take it or leave it. Even if they all made minimum wage, it would be hard to find an American to pick lettuce for that amount of money. After all, they could just as easily work in a 7-11, in a gas station, a Burger King or another similar establishment because they can prove they have a legal right to be here. That's a lot easier than picking lettuce in the broiling sun all day.

I'm sure you could find people to pick lettuce for a lot less than $50 an hour, but even if you gave workers $10 an hour to pick lettuce the price of a head would double. Fuel costs food prices are rising as it is and increasing the cost of food. Add increased labor costs into the mix, and pretty soon American's won't be able to afford to eat. Food banks are already hurting because people aren't donating like they used to.

So I'll repeat, you can't' have it both ways.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/2/2008 10:39:57 AM
Why don't the Citizens of the USA simply vote out of office the Congress who vote for raises for themselves, pork filled bills, etc.

There lies the rub.

We've spent decades voting on candidates who in effect say, "trust me, I'll take care of everything with YOUR best interest in mind." We trust, we vote, we are disappointed. Time after time. Yet we blame them when we should have been blaming ourselves because we failed to monitor their actions.

We citizens don't pay close enough attention to what's going on to have any idea of who is doing what and when.

We have the technology at our fingertips and if we were diligent on a local, state AND federal level to read the bills that are being introduced firsthand on the government websites we could rein them in. We're responsible for being too busy, too uninterested, too dependent on mass media to have a clear understanding--if any understanding at all--of what's going on and who's doing it.

If we took as much interest to discuss individual bills point by point that are going through Congress as we do arguing about who's right and who's wrong on forums based on our perceptions it would be a giant step in the right direction.

It would in fact be a good thing because we'd still have the interaction of a good debate but also bring awareness to what's going on in our government -- which would be a more realistic way to bring change through "we the people."

If there are any webmasters out there I just gave you the next million dollar idea on a website.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/2/2008 12:57:37 PM
In theory it sounds good MG. Here's why I'm not thrilled with the idea.

Rather than point the finger at exposing "special interest group, Federal Contracts, Tax Breaks and Earmarks." Isn't that what we've already entrusted the people in Washington to do by paying their salary? I'd liken it to leaving the fox to guard the chicken coop with this new revolation Obama offers.

We're ALREADY PAYING THEM to do this on OUR behalf.

The system is set up now for citizens to go to a website and view all legislation. Adding yet another website only serves to distract citizens from all the issues that the original website offers.

Not to mention adding yet another tier of government. We're trying to get away from that, right? (well. us. not you)

To review ALL legislation rather than turn a blind eye to one set of legislation while focusing on another set of legislation is setting us up for what the media is currently feeding us. They pick and choose what they feel is important for us to know. Are we really that stupid as a society that we need government to now select specific bills that we need to look at through their discretion? Are we not a thinking people anymore that we can't go through each bill and decide for ourselves what is important, worthwhile or a waste of our tax dollars?

"We the people" are tired of government politics and want straight talk. The current websites that offer the bills in their entirety without any outside influence on how to "interpret" the information would be nice if we'd just utilize them.

I say we utilize the current sites by discussing them through a forum setting and keep the government from trying to manipulate us further.

And if it were MY website? I'd put a limit on keystrokes for the longwinded, ban cutNpaste entries and limit how many times a person can contribute to any given subject on a daily basis.
 MedicineRifle
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:57:07 PM
Newt or Fred Thompson could have done it but McCain's gonna go more to the left than he already is - he's the best choice over HC or BO but we're all doomed no matter what happens

I'm giving up on Republicans and gonna become a Libertarian or maybe I'll just become an Anarchist - that feels better right now
 itechman63
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:17:59 PM

He's not qualified to lead this country.

Let's see... he's 35 years old or older and a natural born citizen of the US and has been a resident for 14 years. Yep... he's qualified.

As far as his capability, that's mere conjecture although we're all entitled to our opinions.

If being qualified means continuing Empirical Theocracy with tremendous deficit spending on foreign intervention while retaining the face of global arrogance, continued erosion of the Constitution and civil liberties, continued pandering to lobbyists and PACs, and destruction of the dollar then thank God someone's running who isn't "qualified".

Actually, little is offered by any of the three main candidates or the current system. I believe we've reached a point where the cyclic boom and bust is unlikely and we won't see a future recovery of significance until alternatives to the two-party system are realized.

The US is not immune to collapse as was seen by past historical powers or Empires especially as we are now full into emulating those that have collapsed before. We are closer than people want to believe to realizing their fates.
 OneBlend
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:35:12 PM

If being qualified means continuing Empirical Theocracy with tremendous deficit spending on foreign intervention while retaining the face of global arrogance, continued erosion of the Constitution and civil liberties, continued pandering to lobbyists and PACs, and destruction of the dollar then thank God someone's running who isn't "qualified".

The three muskateers are all full of shit - selling out this country doesn't seem to discriminate between parties. Even the unqualified guy, sadly, is all about foreign entaglements. Looks like a no win situation. We can look forward to more "continued erosion of the Constitution and civil liberties" but damn our military and law enforcement will be strong, aye?
 itechman63
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:03:11 PM

It has been proven what happens when we try to 'talk' after being attacked on our soil.

I don't know what this means.

FWIW, Neocons herald Reagan as their hero. ( I loved Reagan too). But he talked to "enemy" states regularly and did not openly show disrespect on the global stage.
 itechman63
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:51:05 PM

It takes capability.

And all anyone has to gauge that is assumption.
 flyguy51
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:57:36 PM
If McCain had a tagline, it would not be "Taking Back America" so much as it would be "We Got a Good Thing Goin'."
 OneBlend
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:10:50 PM

I have a REAL fear.... for America if a Democrat President is elected. I fear that the terrorists will test again...somehow on our soil... and we won't do anything except 'talk' with them...then, it will happen again and again.

Yes, she bought into the fear. So much so I'd like to ask Jedi if she's willing to sacrifice her liberties for security .. what's wrong with turning into a policed state, disarmed and being under camera 24/7 like Britain. Lets not forget tagged ID, like a c_o_c_k_e_r spaniel. Ruff! Ruff! Yes, master.
 RDtoo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:14:42 AM
Sure a Republican President could turn this country around. Unfortunately Mike Huckabee, who wanted to get rid of NAFTA, wasn't the Partys choice.

It really dosen't matter which Party wins. We will get the candidate the Tri-lateral Commission wants in there, so we are going to be screwed either way.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:14:37 AM
So much so I'd like to ask Jedi if she's willing to sacrifice her liberties for security .. what's wrong with turning into a policed state, disarmed and being under camera 24/7 like Britain.

You remember Tony Blair don't you? Ten year PM (until 2007) and member of the Labor Party (i.e., the LIBERAL PARTY). His successor is Gordon Brown, also Labor Party.

And your point is exactly what?
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/4/2008 5:25:48 AM

I direct you to the Liberal Democrats. The true liberal party of the UK. The labour party is in fact centrist.

Actually left of center; much like our Democratic party. I'll leave it to you to find the Wikipedia link that says the same.
 OneBlend
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:10:10 PM

And your point is what?

Flies On the Wall usually get swatted. That's my point.
They all are CFR members. They all support the Trilateral comission. They are one in the same.
It's not going to make a difference whether you vote for McCain or Obama ... None.
<div class="quote"> What a question to ask when you think about the fact that it was a Republican President who gave it away in the first place. War crimes, loss of civil liberties, economic catastrophy, do we want more of the same or real change?
You can't just blame this one on Republicans .. You still believe in these great divides between the political parties when it is the people who buy into the divide as if it were a game between opposing football teams. THAT shows them how gullible people are. We should all be fighting for a common cause - to protect our liberties, protect our economy, protect our sovereignty. But somehow people got caught up in this political dog and pony show / faux elections staged by controlled media and planned by those wonderful people who control our monetary system.
They don't have to work hard at keeping people divided. They've succeeded fooling you and will manage to get your votes without answering a damn thing about what they propose to do to save the future of this country and the future of your children. The great political hoax.

Hey, New World Order has no political divide.. ain't that something?
Obama, Bush, Clinton, Cheney .. Americans ... How gullible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdxI0zClV_Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6OIgeGBC4&feature=related
 A_s_s_hole
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:40:26 PM
The fear is not actually fear, only perceived. It's a fact that what the world is up against is going to take war or a facsimilie thereof to squash it. The republicans do not want war, nobody wants war. War happens. I would say that, that is precisely what the leftist politicians want is war, just by wanting to talk to and with current leaders of the threat to the world and not recognizing the threat, is begging for war. That's not to say that the left side of the constituancy is begging for it. I truely believe they don't want war. But that's what they are getting while supporting there political leaders. Republican citizens don't want war, that's just silly. America to the rescue as always. For now anyway. I feel only a republican, McCain specifically, can bring peace by squashing the very threat to it. Not to hard to see. Just takes sacrafice and courage to face the fact. Wishfull, peace loving sounds nice but it just isn't gonna get done what needs to be done. Sad but true.
 flyguy51
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:47:04 PM

nobody wants war

I used to believe that, until I did research on the "rationale" leading to our invasion of Iraq. War is a failure of diplomacy, and usually begins and ends with diplomacy. Sometimes, it is even possible to cut out the middleman (war). It's just less profitable for the military industrial complex that Eisenhower wisely warned us about.

You should watch the documentary "Why We Fight."
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:01:58 PM

Flies On the Wall usually get swatted. That's my point.

Ah, I get it. You had no point. Personal comments aren't welcome, or allowed. So cut it out.

Yet I say ~~ it maked a big difference who is our president! Big difference ~ It matters! who sits in that big chair ~ it's the difference between hope or hopeless!

Why do you say that? The president has no control unless Congress supports him, and the difference of who sits in the chair is less than you think.

They( all of them) have no problem voting themselfs a nice raise, on the 12 hour of the 12 day ~ just before reccessing and going home. ~ While the private sector struggles with increased demands and dimished buying power and not had a pay increase, in years.

Members of Congress voting themselves a raise? So what? The people who serve in Congress make less than they would in the private sector, and they have to pay for a house in their district plus a house in the DC metro area -- not a cheap thing to do.

As far as the private sector goes, many have had pay increases much greater than those in Congress. It depends what you're doing in the private sector. If you're flipping burgers, probably not so much. That should give you incentive to get better training and education.
 NwMke
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:02:03 AM

WE.. no matter our political affiliation should unite and take back our own country from the Politicians who are so disconnected from us.

I did agree with him and fellow Repubs and Dems that Saddam needed to be dealt with and that Iraq desperately needed to be a Democratic State.

Do you see the contradiction here?

There is nothing in our constitution that authorizes this country to determine the fate and direction of any other sovereign country in the world.

You cant have it both ways. Either you are for unlawful American hegemony and imperialism or you are for the rule of law.

The forced occupation of iraq is unlawfull. You do know that right?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:22:49 AM

Iraq desperately needed to be a Democratic State.

Really? And is it now?
 itechman63
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:59:44 AM
Who are we to say what the Iraqis needed or didn't need? I don't think we need to be confused with what WE need the Iraqis to be with what they wanted to be. I also question the concept of those leaders who don't seem to understand Democracy imposing it on someone else.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:10:18 AM

Can A Republican President Do It?

I seriously doubt it considering that since 1946, Democratic presidents increased the national debt an average of only 3.2% per year while the Republican presidents are at an average of 9.7% per year. Quite a difference if you ask me. Furthermore, with the present Republican candidate's views, I truly cant see any improvements whatsoever.

Therefore, even though Democrats clearly showed that they are better at controlling debt, I believe the only way a President can take the country back is with his undying love for it. He will have to place country before his own agendas/profits. Once/if such a person is ever in office, America's repution will change drastically and countries will once more back it up as a true world leader.

Keep the millionaires and the religious nut jobs out of the office and the country just might have a chance to get back on his feet.

Millionaires do have a reputation of taking care of themselves first.
 OneBlend
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:18:56 PM

I get it, you had no point

No offense intended. The point is that there is no difference between McCain and Obama. They're both steering this country into the same direction once you get past the rhetoric and really start examining who they are, their affiliations and organizations they belong to.
Both are hyper-pro Israel, pro expansion of the military industrial complex, pro Security and Prosperity Partnership (which is only an extension of Nafta and precursor to open borders between US, Canada and Mexico, both pledge to protect Israel's interests (with your children and your tax dollars, both pledge to globalization and international law under the UN, both ignore the Constitution and the Bill of Rights by doing so, both have a plan for healthcare which nobody really knows what the hell it is, both avoid answering questions on these issues .... the only difference is McCain doesn't get the glory of being related to Bush and Cheney and Obama has speech writers. Neither have spoken of repealing Nafta or the unconstitutionsl Patriot Act or getting rid of all the unnecessay government organizations that were given birth under the Bush regime. Neither have addressed why we have a need for over 800 FEMA internment camps (hmmm .. ) in this country or why we needed an agreement with Canada to allow there troops over here to assist with what???? I mean really. Neither have addressed why marines are allowed to conduct "Urban Warfare" among the cities in the US when they could get all the practical training for terrorism among "terrorist" countries. Neither have addressed the ACLU concerns or court cases against the violations of US citizen's civil liberties and privacy. Neither have spoken on proposed mandated vaccinations for your children which we NOW know have not been proven safe and are linked to autism and cancers. I could go on and on. Don't take MY word. The research is out there and I encourage everyone to do some serious reading.

Who are we to say what the Iraqis needed or didn't need? I don't think we need to be confused with what WE need the Iraqis to be with what they wanted to be. I also question the concept of those leaders who don't seem to understand Democracy imposing it on someone else.

Bravo! In the end, we'll pay dearly for the consequences resulting from those who don't stop to think for theirselves and question what's going on. We are no more than the tyrants theirselves when we impose our faux democracy on others. Ya ain't seen nothin yet.

Recent News.
Urban Warfare:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008305290003
Mandatory Vaccinations:
http://www.wellness.com/blogs/Jinny/728/mandatory-vaccination-protect-your-rights/jinny

How foolish we are to not question the Patriot Act?

This is democracy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=colcD8UVr90
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >