Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 110
view profile
History
should the US apologize for slaveryPage 15 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

Am I personally sorry about slavery? Absolutely

Why? Slavery ended over 140 years ago. They're no longer alive today and you weren't a slave owner/trader. What do you have to be sorry for? All races and religions have suffered over the years. Whats in the past is in the past. I'm not going to be sorry for something that happened atleast 6 generations ago. Just like I don't expect someone to feel sorry for me because I've got a little Irish in me and the Irish were looked down upon as being worse than blacks.
 geeleebee
Msg: 111
should the US apologize for slavery
Posted: 4/2/2009 1:09:26 PM

Why? Slavery ended over 140 years ago. They're no longer alive today and you weren't a slave owner/trader. What do you have to be sorry for? All races and religions have suffered over the years. Whats in the past is in the past. I'm not going to be sorry for something that happened atleast 6 generations ago. Just like I don't expect someone to feel sorry for me because I've got a little Irish in me and the Irish were looked down upon as being worse than blacks.

For the same reason that I am sorry about the Japanese Americans who lost their homes and businesses during WWII--and for the outrages committed by the HUAC during the Red Scare--I have a long list of things I feel badly about.

You don't have to feel anything--I'm certainly not asking you to be any different than who you are right now. I am speaking only for myself.
 Revilors
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/2/2009 2:00:08 PM

You people do know that the civil war wasn't over slavery right?

Oh...really....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_the_American_Civil_War

The main explanation for the origins of the American Civil War is slavery, especially the issue of the expansion of slavery into the territories. States' rights and the tariff issue became entangled in the slavery issue, and were intensified by it.[1] Other important factors were party politics, expansionism, sectionalism, economics and modernization in the Antebellum Period.

For the same reason that I am sorry about the Japanese Americans who lost their homes and businesses during WWII--and for the outrages committed by the HUAC during the Red Scare--I have a long list of things I feel badly about.

You don't have to feel anything--I'm certainly not asking you to be any different than who you are right now. I am speaking only for myself.

This thread is NOT about how we FEEL about the terrible things that have gone one in our history or those that are going on now. It's about a formal apology for slavery. For what purpose and to what end. And...if there was such apology...how many other reces/groups would we need to do the same.

Who are we going to apologize to. Obviously, those in the North...at the time had objection to it or they would not have fought for it. Perhaps we will need to apologise to anyone North of the Mason Dixon line...or had ancestors that lived there at one time.

So I guess that means I deserve an apology too.
 geeleebee
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/2/2009 3:04:53 PM
Uh...AGAIN, you don't have to feel the same way I feel--I'm not asking you to apologize for anything.
Taking issue with how I feel is a waste of your time.

What I SAID was that I feel badly about many things.
As I am an American citizen, I get to feel that way.
'K?

And, actually, slavery was an issue only because the Southern states wanted to count their slaves when it came to more representation, not because they (the slaves) were considered anything more than, well...slaves.

Thread Closed -
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >