Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are there any ex Rollerskaters out there,      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 elfwitch
Msg: 24
Are there any ex Rollerskaters out there,Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
There was roller derby at the old forum a couple of weeks ago about 30 of us were hired to be derby skaters on the tv show Psych. Its going to be aired in mid august. Afterwards I went down to the Rollerland building and took pics........to think my mom used to skate there- 50 years ago The Vancouver roller derby league(Terminal City) has been trying to get in there to skate.
If anybody is on facebook- take a look, there's lots of rollerskating groups on there- I started one for old roller rinks.
 keyway
Msg: 25
Are there any ex Rollerskaters out there,
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:12:55 PM
I grew up close to Trout Lake and hung around the ice rink all the time and I played hockey there
when I was a kid and I also skated at Rollerland
 friendly faces
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:51:38 PM
there is another stardust retro rollerskate at north surrey rec
on friday july 10th.
maybe I will see some of you old skaters there.
 PhatFat the WaterRat
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:38:48 PM
oh I remember those good old days in Edmonton...broke my thumb in speed skate avoiding some kid. I miss those days. I can't roller blade but I sure could roller skate.
 Goodbye_Girl
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/5/2009 8:28:21 PM
I still have my roller skates from my "stardust" days. I practically lived there as a teenager growing up in Surrey. When we moved back (in 84) I was fortunate enough to be able to take my sons there before it closed down so they could enjoy it as well.
*Edit* I have googled the event above and there is no scheduled event for July 10th on either the North Surrey Rec Center site or the Stardust site. Friendly, where did you get your info regarding this skate???
 dragonlady45
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:49:54 PM
yes find if there such an event of this skating thing id be interested used to go to rollerland at pne for years ...... i think went to stardust a few times okay this is roller blades or skates event lol
 Phuqd
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/5/2009 11:33:55 PM
All this talk about fruit booting, but no one has mentioned the real reason they wish they could still blade or skate is because they liked wearing the neon pink and green spandex clothing.

But seriously, I don't get roller rinks and ice rinks, etc...
You don't actually go anywhere but in circles, there is a reason roller rinks died out.

I blade the seawalk here daily with my dog, and I find it to be great exercise and more low impact than running. Lots of people do it as great outdoor recreation as there are tons of well paved paths all over the place to explore.
 Goodbye_Girl
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/6/2009 6:45:51 AM

All this talk about fruit booting, but no one has mentioned the real reason they wish they could still blade or skate is because they liked wearing the neon pink and green spandex clothing.

Ok OK, Busted Phud. I still have the Neon Pink laces in my roller skates

But seriously, I don't get roller rinks and ice rinks, etc...
You don't actually go anywhere but in circles, there is a reason roller rinks died out.

Actually the reason they died out was because property values and building rents have increased so much that it was not, and still is not profitable for a roller rink to exist now.

I blade the seawalk here daily with my dog, and I find it to be great exercise and more low impact than running. Lots of people do it as great outdoor recreation as there are tons of well paved paths all over the place to explore.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's (yes, I know I am OLD) in Surrey there were no sidewalks, ( the ones that did exist you would have wrecked your skates on), skateboard parks or seawalls to enjoy skating, Stardust in Surrey and the one in Richmond was the only place you could go to enjoy this. There was always lineups to get in, especially on a Saturday afternoon. It was a wonderful time for teenagers. You could meet your friends, socialize and possibly get asked by a guy to skate the "couples skate". Everyone was there, young and old having birthday parties and just good clean fun.... It was one of the social hubs of the area.
I miss it
 n-r-gizer bunny
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/6/2009 7:30:25 AM
there is another stardust retro rollerskate at north surrey rec
on friday july 10th.

SURREY PARKS & REC will be holding an OLD SCHOOL SKATE on Friday, July 10, 2009 at 7 pm.
Music from the 1980s. Admission fee: adults $5; children $3. Skate Rental: $3. All ages welcome.
North Surrey Rec Centre located at 10275 135 Street.

http://www.rollerskatingbc.com/home.html
 Phuqd
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/6/2009 1:14:50 PM

Actually the reason they died out was because property values and building rents have increased so much that it was not, and still is not profitable for a roller rink to exist now.

The key is that there is not enough profit, because there is not enough interest. Ice rinks have managed to survive, and if there was the demand for roller rinks you can bet that local community centres would be melting ice to make it an option.

Things like roller skates, pogo sticks, and moon shoes were extremely popular fads while they lasted.
 islandgirl_4u
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 1:50:03 PM
Hey thanks for the information, nrgb. You going?
 Mobiledj
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2009 2:59:42 PM

Ice rinks have managed to survive, and if there was the demand for roller rinks you can bet that local community centres would be melting ice to make it an option

They do have dry rink for roller hockey all over the lowermainland. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get floor time to play roller hockey nowdays?

I think there is 3 roller hockey leagues that I know of running, 2 in Richmond and one out of Vancouver and probably more out in Langley that I do not know about.
 Goodbye_Girl
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/6/2009 5:15:16 PM
Ok... look for the woman with Neon pink laces... I am SO there! $5 for an evening of fun (and exercise) sounds good to me!
Postings this short should lace up a pair of roller skates and skate between the legs of the really tall guy gliding around the roller rink
 friendly faces
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 3:13:56 PM
well its now 2010 and there is skating again in surrey at the old stardust location.
sat nights 6 -8 its now called central city arena.
so lace up your skates and maybe I will see you there
 Mona66
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 10:11:05 PM
wow these threads are old! There was roller derby tonight in Langford (Victoria). Very entertaining, I think I might need to try out, it looks like fun, and I love the costumes.
 gitty--UP
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2010 12:33:26 AM
I used to rollerskate, then they invented inline skates and I never looked back.

Last time, 7384 days ago

I am sure there is atleast ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More fun with inline skates guarunteed.
 chinua1
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/26/2010 8:28:24 PM
I've skated on both types of skates; went back to quads
 tulipe le noir
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2010 8:14:01 PM
I used to rollerskate to school...lots of ups and downs in the village in Scotland where I grew up and I have the knee scars to prove it!
 adora71
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/2/2010 12:22:24 AM
I used to love the whatlley stardust. The first time a boy ever asked me for a phone number was at the stardust. Unfortunately, when I leaned over to write it down, my nose started running...
I can still feel my burning shame as I waited in the Stardust bathroom for the skate to finish and the boy to leave. He left, (without the snotty piece of paper) while I hid in the stalls, cursing my allergies and my poor luck (he was very cute, in a gawky adolescent way). By the time I left the bathroom, they were cleaning up the rink.
I can't think of stardust without reliving that moment.
 chinua1
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/5/2010 7:34:22 PM
its now called Central City- and its open for public session on saturdays
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are there any ex Rollerskaters out there,