Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 202
Your Pet or YourRelationship?Page 4 of 35    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35)

What the hell kind of psychotic person does this kind of thing!?!? Yep, a man did it.

WTF ... what difference does it make if it was a man or a woman. Not all men are like that. I would never in a million years think of tossing a bag full of cats into traffic! And you lady have some serious man-hating issues to just throw that out there that all men are like that. You sicken me almost more then the person who threw the cats in the road, and that is a sick, sick thing to do.

Just for your information, do you happen to remember a woman down in Sacramento, California in the mid 80's who killed old people and buried them in her back yard so that she could cash in their social security checks? Not all men are evil, and not all women are serial killers, but with your logic we are!
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 205
Your Pet or YourRelationship?
Posted: 6/19/2008 10:13:25 PM

it my choice to call you sick for liking pets over humans/many of you have clearly stated that in your posts, enjoy you pets

You know what I'm just gonna toss my cat on the keyboard and let him walk around on the keyboard just to see if anything comes up, cause he just looked at your post with disdain and cattish aloofness and gave me a look like he had something to say.

er, ummm, crap .. he's heavy. Gotta put him on a diet. Ok!

"I fart in your general direction!"

WOW, I guess that just about says it all! Thanks Mr. Cloud the kitty. He has such a way with words. Guess I shouldn't leave Monty Python on all day when I am at work!
 sbnt
Msg: 210
Posted: 6/20/2008 8:32:05 AM
I wouldn't give up my cat, but at the same time, I have chosen to not get involved in a relationship with someone who was allergic.

Most people who are allergic to pets would generally choose not to involve themselves with those who have pets, or are not an animal person, and would just expect the person to give up their pet.
 wahya
Msg: 212
Posted: 6/20/2008 4:19:28 PM
I give up my wolf for no one, if he isn't accepted, neither am I. There is a unique relationship that has been time tested, why give that up for something unknown?
 wahya
Msg: 217
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:18:14 PM
Pets, pot smokers...let me insert children. If you have children, and meet someone and fall in love, but they dislike children, do you get rid of your children?
 cty
Msg: 218
Posted: 6/21/2008 4:46:28 AM
It is heart warming to read that so many realize that pets are not disposal items like furniture. Give up my dogs for a man, not thinking so!!!!. Asking me to do that means that they have no idea what I am about, no respect for my values and generally don't care about my feelings as it would break my heart, so why would I want to be with a man like that.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 220
Your Pet or Your Relationship?
Posted: 6/21/2008 10:00:55 AM

Give up the dogs?
For a woman?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good one OP.
You had me going there for a minute.

Thanks for the laugh ... good times.
That's some funny sh*t.
Again.

If she didn't like dogs, she wouldn't get a first date. And if she did get a first date, the dogs would be there - and you can ascertain a lot about a person by how they handle themselves around animals.

Dogs are an integral part of my lifestyle. They aren't accessories, decoration or a passing fancy. More than simply pets - we work and learn and play together. They earn their keep and contribute considerably to the quality of my life.

A couple key things about close human relationships that makes them successful, in my few, are common interests and values. I would never date a woman who didn't own a pair of sensible shoes, but had thirty pairs of heels. I wouldn't date a couch potato, a princess, a bar star or a gym bunny either - because our values and interests are so divergent.

The same holds true for someone who wasn't into, or was allergic to, animals. A non-starter. I'd rather date someone who only listened to rap ... or Yanni ... but I wouldn't do that either, because it'd never last.
 Nancy54534
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 9:33:24 AM
Well as I point out in my profile I run a senior/special needs dog rescue so better like some dog hair. Is it a question of the jealousy aspect of the attention going elsewhere instead of all of it being directed at the respective person and their ego? Would be curious that idea. Thanks
 Padawan61
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 10:09:48 AM
Many pet-owners choose their animals over human relationships because (for the most part) their pets has been around a lot longer than any potential mate. Relationships with a partner seem to come and go in greater numbers these days so it's not surprising that pet-owners feel the way they do. However, I don't believe that a pet-owner would regard their pets as above family relationships with mother and father. They do see that love of a pet is a different kind of love than the love of a parent or partner. Non-pet owners who become enamoured with someone who has pets must realize that they cannot ask for their partners to give up their pets. Such a request would bring about sadness and resentment. True love does not seek ultimatums ... only some compromises from both partners ... and compromising doesn't mean surrendering either. So before judging/bashing anyone on here for choosing their pets over a human, ask for their whole story first.

Why ask for the whole story? if you want compassion/help etc, ask for it

Without knowing their whole story, you're simply attacking mere words that have been said on the forums. Those words can be harsh coming from a pet-owner because they feel they must defend themselves from posters such as yourself. I don't think pet-owners are on here seeking your compassion or help ... no??

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
 Nancy54534
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 10:23:15 AM
Well put and thoughtful. Thanks for a rational and good logic in this reply.
 _Red_
Msg: 237
Posted: 6/22/2008 9:23:44 PM
I gave up my cat for my child due to allergies but I would never in a million years give up my lab for a guy no matter how into him I might be. I can't even begin to imagine how much I'd resent him for it later if I did it.
 Cynderella
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:58:20 AM
Can I give up someone or something I love for an other...?

Compromise, someway, somehow, so the answer would be no until all avenues are exhausted.
 Princess Taffy Apple
Msg: 247
Your Pet or your relationship...
Posted: 6/24/2008 5:11:33 PM
When I decided to include a dog in my life, I thought about it in a very constructive way. How it may affect my life, such as my work hours, my social life and finances.

It was a decision arrived by logic and love together....to assume the responsibilty of being a guardian to another being; for life.

Any person that I date would share that same vision of responsibilty and compassion, there could be no alternative.
 sunnychic78
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 7:56:40 AM
There are a lot of ways to deal with allergies... Benedryl, allergy shots...

Growing up my sister was allergic to everything but we still had all sorts of pets and with allergy shots, she rarely had a problem. So I know they work for the worst of allergies....

If the relationship is worth it, the allergic person should give it a shot... (pun intended)
 ManeRider
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 9:01:20 PM

Again...IMHO...if you have to decide between an animal (or animals) and another human being in a relationship...you are NOT ready for a relationship

The undertone here is, "I dont' have a pet, perhaps, I can't take care of a pet, therefore, anyone who would not date someone who didn't accpet or tolerate a persons pets isn't ready for a relationship";
I'm not sure who's not ready for a relationship. In case this is news to 'some of' you, several disciplines of rehab for people on serious drug use, is to take in/adopt a plant or animal. If they're (the plant or animal) alive one year later, they're probably ready for a relationship. The nucleus of that discipline is that if one can care for a plant or animal, they can, therefore, consider others before themselves, and therefore, be ready for a relationship.
Sorry, but.... some things just need to be said. Me thinks the preceeding priorities are skewed.
 Green Sangha
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 8:27:40 AM
When you adopt an animal it should be for their lifespan. It is a commitment that shouldn't be taken lightly. It is selfish and immature to get a pet and only commit as long as it is convenient for you. That is why we have such a problem with overcrowded shelters. I'm with the folks who say that you tell the person right away if you have allergies to their pet and that you end the relationship before it even starts if allergy meds aren't going to fix the problem or if you looking for a long-term partner. Sorry folks, but I just don't think animals should be "thrown away" when we are bored or inconvenienced by them. If you think so...get a houseplant instead. Just my opinion.
 doesitmattertou
Msg: 265
Posted: 7/6/2008 9:47:56 PM
I'm sorry but I would never give up my pets for a relationship. I have horses and dogs and I feel I am indebted to them until they pass away. Besideds I do love my pets.
I imagine there is a man out there that can take me and my animals. Other wise, I just won't be his.
I feel it is very controlling to ask a person to get rid of their pet. I also just dont date men who tell me they are allergic or hate dogs...that is a red flag to me.
Im loyal and faithful. so I can only be that way with my pets. Sorry, gentlemen, I just can't get rid of my pets for you.
 doesitmattertou
Msg: 266
Posted: 7/6/2008 9:52:16 PM
Sorry, you should not be dating people with pets because it is SELFISH of you to ask them to get rid of their pets for you.
I would laugh at you and ask you to leave if you asked me to get rid of my pets. YOU can go but not my pets.
 dcamnc
Msg: 271
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:58:56 PM
If a woman tried to get me to get rid of my cat, my guitar stuff, or my transformer collection (yes, toys), she would be given the boot swiftly.
 naguchi
Msg: 277
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:50:00 AM
I could never give up my cat,he's family.That would be a sign to me that the relationship was not to be.
 clubkid66
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:59:25 AM
Pet, relationships come and go.
 lovebeingmom
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:20:49 PM
I wouldnt. because I would not be very happy having no animals. For a short time, say if one passes away, but I could not be happy with no animals permanently
 anyoneoutthier
Msg: 286
Posted: 7/9/2008 6:12:08 AM
I have had pets but i had my wife for 35 years and i would give up all my pets just to have my wife back with me, hopefully you people that think your pet is the most important aniaml in your life will find the one person that you really derserve.
 oddandy
Msg: 289
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:31:18 AM
My cat and I are a package deal, just like single parents and their kids. He's my baby and I'm never giving him up. If someone can't deal with my "child," that person is obviously not someone I'm meant to be with, anyway.
 doesitmattertou
Msg: 290
Posted: 7/10/2008 5:04:13 PM
Like I said in a previous post, I do feel it selfish to ask someone to get rid of their pet. I love my pets. They are no disposable. They have rights.
I met a man I was crazy about but he wanted me to move to the city which meant I would not be able to keep the horses and secondly, he wanted dogs outside at all times. Well, I will miss him! LOL.
I have this lifestyle already and I enjoy myself. Im not going to let a man bully me into getting rid of pets or moving to the city. I'd rather be alone than that.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >