Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrinityJ
Msg: 81
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
agreed. Classic in my opinion is anything prior to 1967, the year of the great tragedy in Hollywood.
 Rainie59
Msg: 85
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?
Posted: 10/20/2008 5:13:15 PM
Aliens, all of them; House of a Thousand Corpses - poor Karen Black - she just cant get out of those B movies at all. There were so many really good scary movies back in the 70s and 80s. Now it's all blood and gore but that's sometimes not a bad thing either. Jeepers Creepers and Punkin Head - ooooooohhhhhhhh scary
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/12/2009 10:03:00 AM
I have to say I *love* John Carpenter's "The Thing"

Yes, it's very graphic (but they still hold up quite well, today).

But it's also intensely psychological. There's no horror cliches or monsters jumping out of cabinets. There's no teen sex scene where you know they're going to die.

The scene in The Thing, where he is drawing everyone's blood for the "test" is probably one of the most tense and well done scenes I've seen in a horror film in a while.

People say that the original one from the 30s was better. I disagree because the one made in the 30s was so different than the short story it's based off of, whereas John Carpenter's version follows the story much more.
 jed456
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 12:22:51 PM

The scene in The Thing, where he is drawing everyone's blood for the "test" is probably one of the most tense and well done scenes I've seen in a horror film in a while.

I agree I jumped the first time I saw that I also like the part where the dog keeper first discovers the thing and says to Kurt Russell 'I don't know what the hell's in there,but its weird and pissed off!

People say that the original one from the 30s was better. I disagree because the one made in the 30s was so different than the short story it's based off of, whereas John Carpenter's version follows the story much more.

I liked both but it was actually made in the fifties and james arness plays the thing.
 jed456
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 12:26:05 PM

Another good film is Audition,

That's one of the few films in the last few years I saw that was actually disturbing!And while not exactly "horror"Sympathy for Mr.vengeance was pretty extreme too.

Always nice too see fellow horror buffs.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/12/2009 12:46:32 PM
The Audition........ Definitely starts out slow but the last 15 minutes are well worth it.
Ju-on (The grudge). I have the Japanese versions of this one. Much better than the American remakes.

Cabin Fever, The mist, House of Wax, and Shutter are some of my recent favs.

Amityville horror is also good. It something I wouldn't touch as a kid.
 ripley65
Msg: 96
Posted: 1/12/2009 2:18:34 PM
My very first memory of watching horror, was when my dad took my family to the drive-in to see The Night of the Living Dead, i was 4 yrs old. Aboslutely loved it and from then on i was hooked. Takes a whole helluva lot to scare me and quite honestly, i havent seen a movie yet that actually 'scared' me, but my all time classic fav is The Exorcist (both the original and the added footage). I havent read thru the whole thread so no doubt there are gonna be repeats, but im gonna list mine anyway. lol

The Exorcist
The Night of the Living Dead (original, although the 90's version wasnt too bad tho the zombies looked WAY too fake, the ending rocked tho)
Rosemarys Baby
When A Stranger Calls
Silence of the Lambs
The Omen (1&2)
HellRaiser (as more parts came out, the story lines only got dumber but the Cenobites were still cool)
Amityville Horror (part 1 and original only)
The Texas Chainsaw Massecre (original only and the thing i liked best about this was the actors were great, meaning, they truely looked scared, not fake scared lol)
Saw (all of them ~(the ways ppl got hurt or died was very well thought of!)
Motel Hell ~ (cheesy, but the people buried in the ground with just their heads above ground with their vocal cords cut out and the noises they made ~ ew! lol)
The Shining ~ (awesome!)
Aliens ~ (hence,, where my nicname came from lol)
The Sentinel
The Hills Have Eyes (original only)

Seen one not too long ago but not quite sure of the name,,coulda been Gagged? Kind of a mindf*ck movie, cheaply made tho but the gore factor was pretty good.

There was another movie from i believe the 70's but cant remember that name either but i think it took place in a mental instituion near some woods i think. Only seen it way back then, but i remember i liked it. lol Only really remember a young nurse who was new there, and a male patient who had red frizzy hair. lol Anyone have any clue what that movie was???
 briargate
Msg: 97
Posted: 1/12/2009 6:27:30 PM
"Frankenstein: The True Story" from 1973 is a very excellent telling of the story. James Mason is in it.

I'm glad someone mentioned "Ghost Story" as that has been one of my favorites over the years with the lovely Alice Krige.

No one mentioned "The Others" but that is truly a great ghost story. Nicole Kidman is in it. More psychological than your standard horror fare, and very creepy.

"The Sixth Sense" is another good ghost story along those lines.

"Jaws" is still a very effective creep show. Robert Shaws tale of the fate of the Indianapolis is riveting.

"Alien" the first one alone. Man!
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2009 7:28:10 PM
80's films are more fun. They weren't really meant to be scary, and frequently employed ridiculous amounts of fake blood (kool aid or catsup, syrup was a favorite). In one scene, a man had his head cut off, and, for one moment, the audience laughs as he reaches around his neck to see what became of his head--before he falls to the ground. Jason's victims were almost always made out to be jerks right before they bought it.

That type of "horror" film is stylistic, but more entertaining than modern films which seem to desensitize.
 _Icon_
Msg: 103
Posted: 1/20/2009 12:09:26 PM
What about Vincent Price in the 60's? The Tomb of Ligeia stands out in my mind.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/20/2009 12:57:53 PM
I might have missed but i didnt see mentioned

Phantasm
Serpent and the Rainbow

I'm not sure why but Jon Carpenters Vampires is one of my favorite. It was kind of a different approach to me. Anyway basically any John Carpenter flick.Prince of Darkness scares the crap out of me.

Newer ,i'm not sure if it is considered horror but "the others" with nocole kidman has everything i want in a film,including nicole kidman :)
 torgo70
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 9:56:24 AM
1.) Avoid any films that are "remakes" or "re-imaginings" or "re-visitings" (or whatever silly stupid names directors are using nowadays, as if we are too stupid to figure out a re-make when we see one). The originals are always better.

I have to disagree with this as there are some excellent remakes/re-imaginings out there-
John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 is an excellent modern day remake of Rio Bravo.
John Carpenter's The Thing I think is a far better film than the original.
David Cronenberg's The Fly was excellent, as was the 70's version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Herzog's 70's remake of Nosferatu.
The Omega Man was an excellent retelling of The Last Man on Earth.
Wes Craven's Last House On The Left was an excellent modern update of The Virgin Spring.
And I enjoyed the remake of Dawn of the Dead.

One of the scariest? Stephen King's "It." Tim Curry as Pennywise still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

To each their own, but I thought It was a weak adaptation of King's novel, pretty much everything that made the book what it was was left out, and for anyone that hadn't read the book they were given the impression that the character of It was nothing more than a clown that turned into a giant cheesy spider.
 torgo70
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 10:08:44 AM

For old farts like myself, classics are still in black and white.

Black & White doesn't automatically mean classic....I have zero problems calling films like The Birds, Jaws, The Exorcist, Dawn of the Dead, Martin, Rosemary's Baby, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Wicker Man, and Carrie classics.

Not sure what age has to do with anything, I know people twice my age(I'm in my late 30's)who enjoy horror films from all decades.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 10:34:20 AM
The three best horror films of all time are:
The Shining
The Exorcist
Nosferatu(Silent film)
 torgo70
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:33:19 AM

Indeed and you find horror fans in the strangest places. I attended a VIP dinner where a doctor and I got into a horror book and movie discussion. I gave him all sorts of titles he could investigate lol.

Definitely, I've met quite a few people who didn't look like they would be horror fans that turned out to be. I've also met teens who have as much appreciation for the "black and white classics" as us "old farts".

However Tim Curry did do a good job on the clown.

Yep, he was the best part of the film.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:05:49 PM
I would go with the 70s. The stuff they showed as the Saturday afternoon movie on TV is better than lots of what is out there today.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow, anyone?

Crowhaven Farm?
 torgo70
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:16:45 PM
lykos79:

but every horror story, or at least most, recently, all seem to have a few factors in common. Special effects, at least ONE sex scene, and they all seem to be speaking more towards the younger generation. You don't seem to have to think anymore about it, just blood and sex, heh.

This isn't a new thing- that's exactly what slasher films from the 70's and 80's were- special effects, sex, and they definitely spoke to the younger generation. The drive-in flicks of the 50's through the 70's were especially aimed at the younger crowd- horror flicks like I Was A Teenage Werewolf, and I Was A Teenage Frankenstein(both films relating to teen anxiety) to later flicks like I Drink Your Blood and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
The 80's were far more 'effects' driven than today with the likes of Savini, Baker, and Bottin- and on the lower-budget end Ed French, Screaming Mad George, and Steve Johnson becoming as big of stars to horror fans as the actors and directors, I can't think of very many effects artists today who have the same sort of fame.

nuttykitten:

i like some of the modern ones too....but u know i think modern ones are just about how many gallons of fake blood they can possibly use.

Again this is not a new thing, and I have yet to see very many modern horror films come even close to the blood-spill of horror films like- Bad Taste, Dead Alive(Braindead), Evil Dead 1 and 2, Evil Ed, Redneck Zombies, Day of the Dead to name a few.
And in the case of Dead End(1985) it would be how much 'real blood' they could possible use since they got theirs from the local slaughterhouse.

MattChrisF:

The stigma of horror seems to get worse as horror filmmakers these days focus more on violence and splatter instead of a good story.

And yet again this isn't new- there were plenty of horror filmmakers going back decades whose careers were based on violence and splatter- HG Lewis, Frank Henenlotter, Tim Ritter, Andreas Schnaas, Lloyd Kaufman, Lucio Fulci, and Ruggero Deodato.

Personally I think the violence, splatter, and bloodshed of today are very tame when compared to films like Cannibal Holocaust(or any other Italian cannibal film from the 70's and 80's), Bloodsucking Freaks, Maniac.......
 jed456
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:55:13 PM
[Rec] and the remake quarantine was not too bad at all IMHO.
 torgo70
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:49:51 PM

The correlation between sex and horror is obvious.....

For example, did you ever find a partner who liked to be bitten during sex? It may be something you're uncomfortable with, because it's too close to losing control of the rational mind. But you might eventually like it, anyway. That is the final aspect of the sex-horror connection...finding out things about yourself that you really didn't want to know.

Sex and horror have always gone hand-in-hand, even Bram Stoker dealt with this in Dracula. And though done more innocently than the last few decades- the early horror films dealt with sex and horror- like Cat People('42)

It is rare for a virgin to be killed in a horror film.

Yes, and even the heroines of the classics were seen as 'virginal'- King Kong, Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc...

Of course if you do 'bad things' like Janet Leigh in Psycho.....

Nicotterro doesn't do a bad job with the gore either.

I just watched From Dusk till Dawn the other night, Savini and his crotch gun LOL.

(And I apologize if I misunderstood what you meant)I wasn't saying there aren't any good effects teams from the 00's or 90's, but in the 80's they were seen far more as celebritys than the ones of today. Maybe I should have worded it better, and I consider Nicotero of the same ilk as Savini, Baker and the others that became prominent in the 80's. After all, that is where he got his start. But from what I remember even in Fangoria magazine some issues from the 80's focused more on the effects teams than they do today, and horror conventions that I attended in the late 80's the effects guys had just as big of lines for autographs as the other celebs in attendance, the few I've been to in more recent years, the lines are still long for those guys from the 80's making their appearance, but not so much for the 'newer ones'.
 torgo70
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:58:05 PM

and the two keystone cops.

I agree, Last House could have done without the 'silly cops', many horror films are guilty of this- The Town That Dreaded Sundown, and Halloween 5(the silly cops in this even had silly sound effects to back them up) were the same way. You also had the 'stereotyped Southern sheriff' type characters in films like Final Exam and the first Friday the 13th, who seemed like they would have been more at home on the Dukes of Hazzard.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:21:13 PM
In case anyone is interested, Turner Classic Movies just happens to be showing NOSFERATU at this very moment(Sunday night midnight)!!
 torgo70
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:10:55 AM

Remakes take the fun out of my movie watching expirience and should be banished to the realms of Hells firey domain.

I don't like to close myself off from remakes, otherwise you miss out on excellent horror films like John Carpenter's The Thing(which is one of the best horror films of the 80's)
 torgo70
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:14:33 AM

I am very sad to see that they are remaking so many of the great one and even not so great ones.

But, remakes can bring good things- the originals will get new DVD releases to go along with the remake's release. The original My Bloody Valentine got a better DVD release because of its remake. Same with the Friday the 13th films.
 torgo70
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:57:01 AM
Luna Winchester , maybe I shouldn't have said all remakes, but many films indeed have gotten released or re released to coincide with remakes( Why not? It's a chance for them to make more money)- Last House On The Left did indeed get a DVD re release because of the remake(I have it sitting on my shelf). And there were quite a few fans of the Friday the 13th films, and My Bloody Valentine that were happy to see uncut re releases of these films(how can this be a bad thing if there are people who want it?)....And there will be people happy if House on Sorority Row gets a DVD re release when the remake comes out- sure beats paying the $75 that the 'out of print' one is going for.
 torgo70
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 10:26:10 AM

Hate to tell you but it's just a scheme to get you to spend more money. And I don't know where you shop for dvds but I got my House On Sorority Row for like 7 bucks.

Ok, well, it obviously worked since you own 3 copies of Evil Dead on dvd

When did you buy House on Sorority Row? If you bought it when it was new, then yes you got it cheap(I got mine from DeepdiscountDVD.com for $4.89), but now it is out of print, meaning Elite doesn't make anymore new copies(which is why Amazon carries it for $75)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >