Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
The three best horror films of all time are:
The Shining
The Exorcist
Nosferatu(Silent film)
 torgo70
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Horror movies, which are the best, ones from the 80's or modern ones?
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:33:19 AM

Indeed and you find horror fans in the strangest places. I attended a VIP dinner where a doctor and I got into a horror book and movie discussion. I gave him all sorts of titles he could investigate lol.

Definitely, I've met quite a few people who didn't look like they would be horror fans that turned out to be. I've also met teens who have as much appreciation for the "black and white classics" as us "old farts".

However Tim Curry did do a good job on the clown.

Yep, he was the best part of the film.
 YearoftheCat
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:05:49 PM
I would go with the 70s. The stuff they showed as the Saturday afternoon movie on TV is better than lots of what is out there today.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow, anyone?

Crowhaven Farm?
 torgo70
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:16:45 PM
lykos79:

but every horror story, or at least most, recently, all seem to have a few factors in common. Special effects, at least ONE sex scene, and they all seem to be speaking more towards the younger generation. You don't seem to have to think anymore about it, just blood and sex, heh.

This isn't a new thing- that's exactly what slasher films from the 70's and 80's were- special effects, sex, and they definitely spoke to the younger generation. The drive-in flicks of the 50's through the 70's were especially aimed at the younger crowd- horror flicks like I Was A Teenage Werewolf, and I Was A Teenage Frankenstein(both films relating to teen anxiety) to later flicks like I Drink Your Blood and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
The 80's were far more 'effects' driven than today with the likes of Savini, Baker, and Bottin- and on the lower-budget end Ed French, Screaming Mad George, and Steve Johnson becoming as big of stars to horror fans as the actors and directors, I can't think of very many effects artists today who have the same sort of fame.

nuttykitten:

i like some of the modern ones too....but u know i think modern ones are just about how many gallons of fake blood they can possibly use.

Again this is not a new thing, and I have yet to see very many modern horror films come even close to the blood-spill of horror films like- Bad Taste, Dead Alive(Braindead), Evil Dead 1 and 2, Evil Ed, Redneck Zombies, Day of the Dead to name a few.
And in the case of Dead End(1985) it would be how much 'real blood' they could possible use since they got theirs from the local slaughterhouse.

MattChrisF:

The stigma of horror seems to get worse as horror filmmakers these days focus more on violence and splatter instead of a good story.

And yet again this isn't new- there were plenty of horror filmmakers going back decades whose careers were based on violence and splatter- HG Lewis, Frank Henenlotter, Tim Ritter, Andreas Schnaas, Lloyd Kaufman, Lucio Fulci, and Ruggero Deodato.

Personally I think the violence, splatter, and bloodshed of today are very tame when compared to films like Cannibal Holocaust(or any other Italian cannibal film from the 70's and 80's), Bloodsucking Freaks, Maniac.......
 jed456
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:55:13 PM
[Rec] and the remake quarantine was not too bad at all IMHO.
 torgo70
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:49:51 PM

The correlation between sex and horror is obvious.....

For example, did you ever find a partner who liked to be bitten during sex? It may be something you're uncomfortable with, because it's too close to losing control of the rational mind. But you might eventually like it, anyway. That is the final aspect of the sex-horror connection...finding out things about yourself that you really didn't want to know.

Sex and horror have always gone hand-in-hand, even Bram Stoker dealt with this in Dracula. And though done more innocently than the last few decades- the early horror films dealt with sex and horror- like Cat People('42)

It is rare for a virgin to be killed in a horror film.

Yes, and even the heroines of the classics were seen as 'virginal'- King Kong, Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc...

Of course if you do 'bad things' like Janet Leigh in Psycho.....

Nicotterro doesn't do a bad job with the gore either.

I just watched From Dusk till Dawn the other night, Savini and his crotch gun LOL.

(And I apologize if I misunderstood what you meant)I wasn't saying there aren't any good effects teams from the 00's or 90's, but in the 80's they were seen far more as celebritys than the ones of today. Maybe I should have worded it better, and I consider Nicotero of the same ilk as Savini, Baker and the others that became prominent in the 80's. After all, that is where he got his start. But from what I remember even in Fangoria magazine some issues from the 80's focused more on the effects teams than they do today, and horror conventions that I attended in the late 80's the effects guys had just as big of lines for autographs as the other celebs in attendance, the few I've been to in more recent years, the lines are still long for those guys from the 80's making their appearance, but not so much for the 'newer ones'.
 torgo70
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 1:58:05 PM

and the two keystone cops.

I agree, Last House could have done without the 'silly cops', many horror films are guilty of this- The Town That Dreaded Sundown, and Halloween 5(the silly cops in this even had silly sound effects to back them up) were the same way. You also had the 'stereotyped Southern sheriff' type characters in films like Final Exam and the first Friday the 13th, who seemed like they would have been more at home on the Dukes of Hazzard.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2009 9:21:13 PM
In case anyone is interested, Turner Classic Movies just happens to be showing NOSFERATU at this very moment(Sunday night midnight)!!
 torgo70
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:10:55 AM

Remakes take the fun out of my movie watching expirience and should be banished to the realms of Hells firey domain.

I don't like to close myself off from remakes, otherwise you miss out on excellent horror films like John Carpenter's The Thing(which is one of the best horror films of the 80's)
 torgo70
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 6:14:33 AM

I am very sad to see that they are remaking so many of the great one and even not so great ones.

But, remakes can bring good things- the originals will get new DVD releases to go along with the remake's release. The original My Bloody Valentine got a better DVD release because of its remake. Same with the Friday the 13th films.
 torgo70
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 9:57:01 AM
Luna Winchester , maybe I shouldn't have said all remakes, but many films indeed have gotten released or re released to coincide with remakes( Why not? It's a chance for them to make more money)- Last House On The Left did indeed get a DVD re release because of the remake(I have it sitting on my shelf). And there were quite a few fans of the Friday the 13th films, and My Bloody Valentine that were happy to see uncut re releases of these films(how can this be a bad thing if there are people who want it?)....And there will be people happy if House on Sorority Row gets a DVD re release when the remake comes out- sure beats paying the $75 that the 'out of print' one is going for.
 torgo70
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2009 10:26:10 AM

Hate to tell you but it's just a scheme to get you to spend more money. And I don't know where you shop for dvds but I got my House On Sorority Row for like 7 bucks.

Ok, well, it obviously worked since you own 3 copies of Evil Dead on dvd

When did you buy House on Sorority Row? If you bought it when it was new, then yes you got it cheap(I got mine from DeepdiscountDVD.com for $4.89), but now it is out of print, meaning Elite doesn't make anymore new copies(which is why Amazon carries it for $75)
 Kaos86
Msg: 131
Posted: 3/19/2009 10:37:15 AM
C.H.U.D.
Cannabolistic
Humanoid
Underground
Dwellers

A great cast. early in there careers.
John Goodman, Daniel Stern and John Heard, Jay Thomas.
 english lass
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/24/2009 5:50:35 AM
i'm more into the suspense genre than the outright slasher horror type... so i prefer newer movies like "sixth sense" and "the others", or older ones like those directed by Hitchcock ("rear window", "marnie", etc.) and "gaslight", "wait until dark" etc.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/15/2009 8:44:18 PM
Not truly a horror but i just watched The exorcism of Emily Rose and it scared the crap out of me. But i torture myself to watching them alone in my old house lights off and the surround sound up.
 barbee1970
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/15/2009 10:15:32 PM
The Shining, anything with zombies, Nightmare on Elm Street. I like the zombie ones. Those are scary.
 ilovese469
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/22/2009 11:54:09 AM
some of the best movies are from the 80's including some of my favorites which are pet semetary,night of the creeps,killer klowns from outer space,the tv show tales from the crypt,the howling,halloween,poltergeist,and child's play.now some of the movies that they made in the 90's aren't all that bad by one of my favorites is the night flyer by the great stephen king.
 HeyJenny
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/17/2009 5:57:23 PM
Here is one movie to watch that no one has mentioned. It's called "The Other" not to be confused with "The Others" with Nicole Kidman. This movie is about twin brothers directed by Robert Mulligan and released in 1972. Disturbing but well made, it's a must see if you want to be disturbed, permanently.
 torgo70
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2009 12:20:21 PM
HeyJenny,

The Other freaked me out when I was a kid. If you haven't yet you should read the book it's based on The Other by Tom Tryon(who also wrote the screenplay)

Tom Tryon also wrote another disturbing book about children in the 1930's- Night of the Moonbow, about a really bad summer at a Bible camp.
 HeyJenny
Msg: 151
Posted: 7/18/2009 2:53:01 PM
Hi torgo70,

I'm glad there is at least one other person who can relate to that movie.
Not long after I saw it my parents dragged me to this rural farmhouse with a red barn just like in the movie it had a loft and the kids were jumping off into the hay below. There was no jumping off the loft for me that day

I think I'll pass on the book thank-you. I have enough nightmares already :)
 Blondetini
Msg: 153
Posted: 6/12/2011 3:07:15 PM
i liked freddy cruger. now i like saw, priest.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 154
Posted: 6/12/2011 3:51:33 PM
Horrifying as a kid was Night Of The Hunter and The Birds.
Now ..I enjoy them

I can't watch Salems Lot or The Exorcist EVER again...........to much satanic or blood crap makes me have heart palpitations.

Books are the worst.I don't bother any more.My imagination is worse than any directors.

Later

I did enjoy House On Haunted Hill, The Grudge, The Ring, Predator, Alien..many times.
I think there was one a while back called Silent Hill.

JAWS!!! Classic 4rth of July movie..Maybe not "Horror" but that head coming up at the drive in made us all scream because the guys screamed

Every year..have to watch that one.
 viper1j
Msg: 155
Posted: 6/13/2011 12:50:59 AM
I just went through seven pages, and NOBODY mention Phantasm. I'm telling the Tall Man on all of you! Don Coscarelli is Stephen King on LSD.

Silent Hill. wasn't too bad for a video game conversion, but then I'll watch almost anything with Radha Mitchell in it.

If you want good horror, don't look for titles, look at the directors.

After Sir Alfred, there's John Carpenter (Halloween, The Fog , The Thing, Christine, Village of the Damned, Vampires.) William Friedkin, (The Exorcist, The Guardian, (The nude scene with Jenny Seagrove is worth the price of admission.) ) Rob Zombie ( Brainscan, House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil's Rejects etc.. )

Have fun!
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/13/2011 5:10:41 AM
OMG!!^^^^^^^^^
The original Village Of The Dammed was fantastic!!
Tick toc tick toc..brick wall.

Ron Zombie had a good one where a girl was kidnapped and he was some crazy guy with gals in cages.

Odd horror/comedies are great.
The Bad Seed......child sociopath murderer
Freeway...You will die laughing at this serial killer verses little "trailer trash" girl.
Bubba Ho Tep....Setting a nursing home.

Thrillers , edge of the seat ones are my fav and Alfred Hitchcock.

Slashers not so much.
 Casper66
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2011 10:31:38 PM
There are 2 movies I watch almost every year, Night of the Living Dead black and white edition at Halloween and Black Christmas at Christmas time. Anything with Vincent Price in it, loved his movies(House of wax and House on haunted hill). Hunger, High tension and Fido are good too.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >