Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SirRobert
Msg: 3
Remember when dating was simple!Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Dating was simple??? I need to move THERE... :)
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 6
Remember when dating was simple!
Posted: 6/14/2008 8:53:08 PM

why is dating these days so complicated??

Has anyone noticed...everything is complicated these days! Everything is changing and moving so FAST!

I am guilty of the "kid in a candy store" syndrome when I first started dating on internet sites. It took me a while to realize that I might have threw a few good ones back in the pond too soon but at least I never strung anyone along...but that's not my style anyway.

Now I am choosier about who I connect with and meet. It has slowed me down considerably. I think I've met two guys in the past six months and neither of them made it to a third date.

Sometimes though it takes a little longer. I dated a guy from a site for a few months. Nothing really serious but he was nice. After a while, I realized that he had a gambling problem and I decided to break things off. I just don't believe in casually dating people. Maybe some people do and that's fine but if I don't see the potential for something more to develop, I don't see the point in sticking around.

I think people are complicated and dating is complicated and it doesn't matter where or how you meet. The most important thing is to be honest with yourself and the people you date...honesty can at least simplify things a little.
 artzytype
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 2:19:18 PM
It appears everything that is done in the modern world is through some technological "via". I think we've begun to loose some of our ability to relate person to person. Hell, just the other day I saw a young woman having an argument with her boyfriend via text messenging! Maybe we should all go back to church on Sundays

"Hey I couldn't help noticing you checking me out between psalms earlier..."
 shortstuffpj07
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/16/2008 5:46:17 AM
I remember when it was simple! Oh the good ol' days.
I wonder if dating would be any easier if people would just remember that simple communication is key. People keeping in mind honesty is the best policy, taking people at their word, and people keeping their word as well. Not to mention, giving people the benefit of the doubt, and not judging right off the bat in the first thirty seconds of an encounter.
Remember how easy it was to flirt with someone? How great it would feel, even if nothing ever came of it? Or even better when something DID come of it??
Maybe it's just me, but now a days it's hard to remember the simple yet effective art of flirting to meet someone. I may need to take a refresher course, in order to resimplify this dating idea.
If anyone has the dates and times of the class......could you let me know?
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 9:19:25 PM
Dating was simple?

Granted back in high school ya'll had your group of friends who'd tell someone from another group of friends that you thought someone in their group was cute and thus if feelings were shared you'd be "dating" and then "going steady" and so on...

Sure doesn't work like that here with on-line dating. You actually have to make the first move and contact someone who captures your interest. Or else you sit back and wait for someone to contact you. Basically you're either passive or aggressive.

I think dating becomes more difficult as you age. You learn more about values with each life experience and more about who you are as a person. Basically are you willing to compromise your values for a relationship for the sake of being with someone.

Maybe the OP should have entitled the post Remeber the old days when dating was done the old fashioned way and computers didn't make finding a date so cold and impersonal...lol...

Brat
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 11:54:59 PM
At least ya'll are gettin replies to your ads. I live just outside of a town of about 18,000 and yes, it's a college town but I'm not THAT young...lol...
Still, computers are wonderful but when it comes to finding a date, and this is just my opinion so please don't bash me for saying this, I think the jury is still out...

But I'm still here and gonna keep on tryin

Brat
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/11/2008 8:05:29 AM
I never thought dating wasn't simple or fun...when I was a kid, yeah sure I got emotionally involved faster than I should have but that was just a young stupid thing. I grew up.

I think it's awesome and fun to date IF you're not taking it too seriously, expecting too much or taking it too personal.

A lot of people seem to frustrate themselves with expectation and what they think they deserve when they should just be living in the moment and enjoying meeting new people.

*Shrug*
 kissmeyoufrog
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/26/2008 7:52:08 PM
I so remember dating be much easier when I was young. I have not figured out why it is so harder now that I am older. I know that after being single for 10 years, and not being a serial dater, that I find it harder and harder to even want to go out out on a date.

I so agree that there are 90% of the people who do not put what they are looking for on here. I think that there has to be some chemistry there, I do not believe that it is created over time... Though I must say I am not giving up but I am not going to lower what I am looking for to settle....

So Firesign68....here is a lady that totally agrees with you! Like you I am trying not to lose thjavascript:smilie('')
javascript:smilie('')e faith.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2008 6:32:14 PM
The rules haven't changed. AT least in my opinion. I follow only one rule: the golden rule.

You can still do all that stuff you mentioned; the old fashioned way. It'll probably make you stand out if you do.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/3/2008 4:12:12 AM
Life of Leisure:How do you know what someone is really or really not looking for by reading profiles? At least not the percentages you give, unless you are searching for Romper Room style profiles. This sounds like an assumption...if you ask me. Unless you are getting that many responses back from women saying they are lying or change their words when they write back. Your profile is pretty long like mine, does that mean you are "blabbering?"As for me, I just say it how it is. Like it or not, that is the way it is.
As far as the OP, I think things have become a bit more complicated, because things are different now than they were when we were 20 and such. Parenting has changed, schools have changed, movies, television, & critics have made this world very different over the years. I see younger parents now than I did before and they dress and raise thier kids to be mini thugs and such(not everyone but is out there a lot more than we care to admit.). The world has changed. It just means it is that much harder to find someone we are compatible with.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >