Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Páñ†hérrrrr64²°°¹™
Msg: 19
ADHD children anyone?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
GARF: Agree with you,.. IF your children like them, FEED them bananas! Check into your children's diets,. it makes a world of difference ( what we all affectionately call food allergies aren't really true allergies they are sensitivities and can build up in the body causing the problems,....and may also be outgrown YEAH!!)
My son after many years of misdiagnoses has Tourette's. Finally we can make sense of all the OTHER labels tossed incorrectly at him. He's a wonderful mix of HYPERactivity, tics, and OCD. This came across as rudeness, fidgits and boredom in school not a child who actually needed more to do. ( He is an honour student and very musically inclined,... keep those fingers busy) HE needed to find an outlet that encompassed all his characteristics,... engines were our answer. Precise, mathematical, PUZZLING ,( to me anyhow hahaha) , challenging and pride and satisfaction upon making them work and run properly.
Interestingly enough though I wonder how many other children are labeled as ADHD when they may have mild Tourette's ( which is the center circle of ADHD, tics, learning disorders and OCD) and are going "nuts" because they are being fed a stimulant instead of the opposite. Hormones kicking in aren't usually a catalyst for more problems but the settling of many. Best wishes to all of your children,... hang in there with them and NEVER stop questioning health professionals. ( I know I am one)
 Páñ†hérrrrr64²°°¹™
Msg: 20
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 8/27/2005 2:15:06 PM
Just an addendum to my thoughts,... only because I plea for people to make sure that ADHD/ADD/OCD aren't the only issues their children are struggling with and that it isn't just a 'factor" .
More than half of the children who have Tourette's Syndrome also have a pattern of inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness (suddenly doing things without thinking about the consequences or dangers). If severe, this is the same pattern that is called ADHD in other children. It is quite likely that it has the same basis as ordinary ADHD but it doesn't mean that ADHD is the 'real' diagnosis. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder too, as is Tourette's Syndrome and it is common for an individual to have more than one neurodevelopmental condition.

As in ADHD, inattention in children with Tourette's Syndrome means that they appear not to have heard what has been said to them, do not finish what they start, hate doing things that require concentration, and are easily distracted. Typically they are restless, fidgety and do not stay in their seat when they should. They do stupid or dangerous things without thought for the consequences, cannot wait patiently and interrupt conversations.

The treatment of ADHD, whether it exists on its own or with Tourette's, is psychological in the first place. The aim is to help parents, teachers and the child manage life and learning. Medication is not always needed for ADHD but IF it is required it is very effective. Unfortunately, the most powerful medication, so-called stimulant drugs such as methylphenidate and dexamphetamine, usually makes tics worse. Low-dose Clonidine (Dixarit) is actually helpful for both tics and ADHD symptoms. Ask your pediatrician. Look into it , it saved my sons sanity. ( ok mine, the teachers and general publics too!)
 SevenOfNine_1
Msg: 22
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:16:24 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Frrosty! My son is quite a handful & he is extremely intelligent & magnificent! He hasn't been diagnosed yet, we don't see the pediatrician until Dec. 6th. I was wondering if I could get any pointers, especially wit school starting up again? He's starting a new school & I just got custody. Help!
 Izzy2
Msg: 23
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:13:34 PM
I am the mom of a 12 year old that has been diagnosed with ADHD since he was seven. Its important to first recognize that in young children, this is a difficult illness to diagnose. Sleep disorders, dyslexia and many other conditions may share behaviors actually associated with ADHD and lead to innappropriate diagnosis. Always have young children checked for sleep disorders and vision problems before giving in to teachers or family members who think ADHD is the only condition that causes hyperactivity. Full blood panels should also be done to rule out endocrinology disorders.
My son is brilliantly intelligent, absolutely loving, and Denis the menace x 100! His energy and
personality are what make my little man irresistible. Yes he drives me up walls and around bends, but he is the life of every place he visits, he'll always make u laugh. Its important with children who have such a hard time of it, to be constantly reminded of how wonderful they are, to always hear them when it is time to make decisions about meds, or any treatment. Help them by giving them some control, and remind them that this isn't their fault, no more than if the child had diabetes or any other medical condition. They require absolutes in their lives, discipline must be consistent so the child always knows what to expect. There isn't any use in yelling, it helps no one, but when you can say to a child..."did you know the consequence of this behavior would be this" and the child says yes, then there is nothing to argue about! And consequences are more easily accepted and behaviours change because the child wants them to change too!
My son had no friends until he started on meds, he was physically overwhelming to other children his age. Meds became an option the minute my child said to me, "no one wants to play with me cuz they're scared i'll hurt them". When a childs life is so interupted, what parent wouldn't try everything to help them. You wouldn't withold medication if the diagnosis were diabetes or seizures, why would you because its ADHD! Certainly all avenues should be trialed, but meds changed my son's life. He no longer has physical behaviours because his meds gave him the time to learn appropriate behavior...he has lots of friends now who see him much as I do! A bright light who will always try to make u laugh especially if your sad! Give your child a chance to shine with whatever treatment they need to get them through the day! And love them every second they are in your life...especially when they're driving you bonkers!
 Páñ†hérrrrr64²°°¹™
Msg: 24
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 9/1/2005 5:32:36 PM
Thanks for mentioning it AGAIN beamer,... I made this exact statement a couple pages back about MY son. People please DO NOT let your Pediatrician's rule out or pass over the complete picture which MAY be TOURETTE'S. Never stop questioning and remember that stimulants are the Tourette's child's worst enemy.
 SevenOfNine_1
Msg: 25
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 12/4/2005 1:31:34 PM
OMG that sounds horrible!! Well, I just decided to check in on 'my forums' today lol, as I still am new to these lol. I have a few updates since I last posted on this particular thread....

After the hottest summer in history for my city, we attempted to have my son start to live with me again...and enroll in a city school here. He lasted all but two weeks omg! He managed to get himself suspended for the rest of the day on the 5th day of school, and on my way to pick him up, he earned himself another day! I was exhausted beyond exhaustion & I tried so hard :( ....

After two weeks of school in sudbury, my dad (with whom I have joint custody of my son) came to town and I informed him of what had been happening. Apparently my boy had been disruptive and/or distracting in class from day 1 omg!!! The school was not quite prepared for him & the old school on the island still had not sent any files...It was my dad's idea to just have him live back with him again since he seemed to be improving somewhat there since they got him a 'helper' in class...

I packed his bags & tried my best not to cry & show my pain...my son assured me that we would still see each other on a regular basis; but my heart still ached & inside I felt like I had failed him somehow...:(

Well, in two days' time he sees the pediatrician here in sudbury; it will be his 1st visit & hopefully it will mark the beginning of finding out exactly what is my baby's needs at this point in time. But I am really set against ritalin for many reasons...I have heard too many horror stories about it!!! So, now I am happy that we are closer to finding some answers; whatever it is I know that my boy is the greatest kid in the entire universe & I would not trade him or my experiences with him for anything in the world!!!

I also want to thank everyone for their very useful pointers after I posted my original post here on this particular thread...ur support has warmed my heart...And if any of u are of the praying sort; please remember my boy & I as his natural father left us before my boy was even born :(

I do plan on having him live with me again, hopefully I will be more prepared next time....

SevenOfNine_1
Msg: 26
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:32:33 PM
Hmmmm...thank you mlady for that food for thought. Actually along with my 'parent guilt' I started thinking about my own childhood & how I had learned to calm myself down in school....

How does an adult find out if they have it and/or if they have managed it?

seven
 SevenOfNine_1
Msg: 29
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 12/7/2005 2:30:56 PM
Thank you so much everyone for all of ur positive feedback, now I feel so much support here ...and especially blueflame11; when I read ur list of positives I almost cried...thank you. I do know how wonderful my not-so-little sonshine is and I thank you for reminding me of the good stuff because I do feel the pressure from his school and stuff but I also feel his pain...

He does try to calm himself down & I will have to remember to tell him about the counting to 10 thing, I somehow learned that subconsciously on my own but seeing it here in writing helps me realize that I could help him with utilizing some of my coping mechanisms as well..thank you again.

And about the signs in adults, I have had them all! Omg! But I am happy to say that finally, now that I am 35 I am somehow managing this on my own...(I do take effexor and a sleeping aid sometimes lol). Hopefully i can better equip my son so that he doesn't have to have all the struggles I did; or at least better tools than I had. I do overdo it on the coffee & I have 3 years clean from drug and alcohol abuse, so the signs were all there, and I did have several counsellors but mostly due to other 'problems' - we never even imagined that it could be add or adhd omg! My counselling was mostly due to depression and other things because I have been probably more 'sensitive' than other people most of my life; and getting myself into situations that now I see could have been caused by not fully realizing the consequences beforehand, and/or not believing that they could actually happen to me...

My son's 1st pediatrician's app't was yesterday. She wanted to throw drugs at him, and that is not going to happen at this point. He is 8 years old and seems to be thriving or at least beginnning to thrive at my dad's place on the island. I am still settling this fact within myself that he is better off there than in this city with me; my dad lives on a reserve and I live in the city, we have joint custody as my son's biological father left me before josh was born. The pediatrician did not even want to test him for anything omg!!! She quickly sized him up and the little bit of info my dad had managed to get from the school...and then got on this ritalin talk! Omg! No ritalin to say the least! She denied hearing anything negative about ritalin, although my dad knows firsthand the bad effects of it; he told her about another boy he was taking care of who is mentally slower than other kids his age. He reminded her that he had brought this boy to her in the past. The ritalin did more harm than good. I also told her what other people with firsthand knowledge had informed me about concerning ritalin.

Well, she almost refused to even write up an order for a liver test on my son just to see if he could handle any drug to begin with omg! At the end of it, seeing that neither my dad or I could reach her, She seemed determined that he did not need any testing at all! We finally just accepted the medication she ended up throwing at us, saying that after he gets his liver tested, and after the x-mas holidays we may try this 'new' medication! It's apparently only 2years in testing too! It is called Strattera...has anyone heard about this drug at all?
 SevenOfNine_1
Msg: 30
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 12/12/2005 4:33:57 PM
WOW!!! Thank you everyone for all the wonderful input regarding this extremely hot topic. Especially as my father & I (joint custody of my boy) have strong opinions against drugging children. I definitely have more research ahead of me, but my boy will NOT BE DRUGGED that is for sure...
If the school continues to give us grief over this, we will be standing our ground & seeking the alternative routes I have read here. Thank you all so much again, and certainly at least a 2nd and/or 3rd, etc opinion(s) are very much in order; at least until we find a pediatrician who does not simply sit back & dispense drugs to children under 10!!!

no_1_bby
Msg: 32
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 6/21/2006 5:31:03 AM
I have a nearly 9 yo son with ADHD, anxiety, early OCD, and his ped has just added Asperger's to the dx. I swear he is borderline ODD as well, but that's not been officially established. He also has an LD that was dx last year through yet another round of psycho-educational testing. Just your basic *alphabet soup* kid.

We have done all kinds of testing to determine what was going on with him over the last 5 yrs and all kinds of alternative medical treatments to avoid the conventional drug therapies... chiropractic, herbal/homeopathic (the homeopath said he was vaccine damaged by his MMR vaccine, the drs don't feel this is the case as symptoms would have shown up sooner), naturopath, done the diet elimination (no dairy, wheat, eggs), metabolic testing (showed the anemia and protein issues), supplementation out the wazoo, behaviour modification, etc... I think I have a list of people who have seen or treated/tested him that is up to 2 letter sized pages long, two columns wide...

Not all children who are dx with ADD/ADHD have allergies tho. Mine was tested when he was 4 or 5 yo and has no known food allergies. He has very mild environmental allergies tho, not enough to take anything for.

Did you know parasites can produce the same symptoms of ADD/ADHD???

What I have found thru much of what we have gone thru in the last 5+ yrs is that many kids with ADD/ADHD have low iron and low protein. Mine is chronically anemic and doesn't respond to iron therapy. He's also been tested and found to be protein malnourished... and we don't know if he's not getting enough protein (most likely) or not absorbing the protein is is getting (this would have shown up much earlier in his life). Unfortunatly the protein supplements and prescription that he was given was not helping him increase his protein levels, but was making giant holes in my wallet. I push protein every change I get... he's a picky eater but is learning to eat better.

The other thing I have found out is that kids with ADHD/Aspgerger's tend to metabolize things very rapidly so the long acting forms of most meds don't work for him. He's better off taking smaller doses of the short acting meds more frequently thru the day.

Sleep is a HUGE issue as well. His ped has told me he need 10-11 hrs of sleep at his age, and I'm kind of strict on this. Bedtime is 7-730 thru the week during school since we are up at 610 am every day.

Foods that are heavily colored or foods with preservatives are also triggers for some. Mine can't have the food coloring so things like those fruit roll-ups or fruit gummy snacks are out. I buy orange juice with no color added (5 Alive concentrate) and no preservatives. Popsicles are no coloring, or natural juice if possible. He CAN have things with coloring in them with no problems, but I don't allow him to have them for more then 1 or 2 days in a row. It makes my life miserable otherwise.

Routine, routine, routine, structure, structure, structure, consistancy, consistancy, consistancy... and woe to those that disrupt the routine!!

We have tried just about every med on the market for ADD/ADHD, some with good results, some with not so good results, and some with no results at all. Right now he's currently on a regimine of 30 mg of Dexedrine over the course of the day (he gets 10 mg in the morning, 7.5 at 10 am, 7.5 mg at 1 pm, and 5 mg at 4 pm) as well as 25 mg of Trazodone (for the anxiety and to help him sleep) about 30 min before bed.

There are things that work tho..
Transitional warnings
Planning ahead
1-2-3 Magic
Problem solving skills

But the best thing is routine, structure and consistancy. I'm getting better at being consistant with discipline, I mean, you'd think after all these years of me doing it I would have it down by now!! LOL!!
 robbie87
Msg: 33
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 6/22/2006 10:58:06 PM
the medication is gud
 Jonathan85
Msg: 36
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 5/11/2007 11:34:42 AM
I come from a large family of ADHD people (I was officially diagnosed when I was 7, but we knew when my older sister was diagnosed 2 years before that) I can tell you that the best way to manage it is through acceptance (I have cousins with parents that don't accept it and the difference between my family and theirs is like night and day).

Being ADHD (when it is managed) is quite possibly the best thing in the world. I used to think I drew the short straw, but now I feel like I won the genetic lottery. Yes the medication can be expensive, but it is just so good.

1. Medication. ADHD is a neurological disorder (and the brain is just a complex chemical super computer) believed to caused by Low Dopamine Production or low Dopamine receptor site count and/or efficiency. Or some combination of those things.

Some medications (like Ritalin, which I've used since I was 7 except for a small break when I tried Dexatrin) act as reuptake blockers. The medication binds to the dopamine reuptake spots on the nerves (but not all of them) so that the neurostimulant has second, third, fourth (etc) chances to get its message across the synapse to the next nerve in the path. Think of it as playing skiball, but instead of having the "oops I missed and get Zero points" trap, the ball rolls back to you to try again.

1b. Medication will help stop the NEED for stimulant seeking behavior, but behavior turns to habit. So even with medication, some bad habits need to be unlearned.

2. Depending on how early it is diagnosed, therapy may or may not be called for. Therapy is much more necessary for those diagnosed later in life because every ADHD person self-medicates somehow. Forms of self-medication are: medication (prescription or other stimulants like caffine or nicotine) or stimulant seeking behavior.

Stimulant Seeking Behavior could be learning, day dreaming, arguing, running around (adrenalin is a stimulant), picking fights, working self into a rage. Whatever.

3. People who are ADHD tend to have very fast intellectually and have high IQ's (seriously, I scored a 148 on an IQ test before I started reading) because when they are stimulated and interested in something, they learn it fast. Medication can help stimulate the "interest"/"focus" part of the brain.

So make sure there are LOTS of new things for your child to learn. Do whatever it takes to get your child into reading. I started reading because I discovered Dungeons & Dragons when I was 10 (real "learn to read" programs were boring and annoying to me). Now (12 years later) I read like crazy.

4. Hyperfocus and Obsessiveness. Read up on it because your child will do it. Hyperfocusing is also called "In the zone." People that are ADHD are able to hyperfocus on anything they find interesting (it is a full-time job to drag an ADHD person from something they are into).

5. Master and Abandon. As part of the fast learning and mastery is that things get boring after they are mastered. The challenge goes away. So this goes back to Point #3, make sure the next part is always ready.

6. ADHD isn't bad. Unmanaged ADHD is bad.

7. Go out and get a book on it. Find one written by someone with a PhD.

-GG

P.S.: ADD and ADHD are the same thing. The name of the disorder is based on the readily identifiable (i.e. bad) symptoms of the disorder. Hyperfocusing is a major symptom, but when a child hyperfocuses on reading or math, no one thinks of it as bad.
 sphnx
Msg: 40
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 7/1/2009 7:19:05 PM
Welcome to the club!
My son was finally diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, and PDD this last year after six years of struggling for a diagnosis. My advise for you is to do what you can for the child ... therapy and doc visits, activities etc. But make sure you take care of yourself too!!! Lack of diagnosis stressed me out beyond belief. Join a support group if you can and get a good friend to be a "life line" to call when YOU need a time out. Finding the right meds will take time too, but so worth it... my son couldn't interact at all with other children till we got him on the right dosage and now he's one of the most popular kids in the neighborhood. It's a rough ride but can only get better and the results are worth it.
 OutMind
Msg: 42
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 2/4/2011 3:07:06 PM
My boy is Dyslexic, ADHD and Alsburger Sydrome and my girl is ADD. He is 6, she is 7. We have given them prescriptions and have monitored their behavior for a while. Several times when his behavior improved, we took him off the medication only to fall back into problems the moment the medication wore off his system.

My girl is a very smart and her biggest problem is getting bored with what they teach in school. The boy is a bigger issue. He would throw temper tantrums in the morning if you simply told him to put his sox on, before what was the routine. We thought he was just being difficult but after reading about Alsburger we realize that we needed to keep a very structured set of routines.

That also includes what happens after school, doing homework and so forth. What has worked for me the best is what I call the Points system. They follow their routines, do good in school, behave, and they get points. They break the rules, misbehave, get reprimanded in school, they have points taken away. They understand that their actions have consequences. If they do something bad, unintentionally they do not get reprimanded but, they get the talk about what they did, and they know from then on that will not be accepted. Also, they need a lot of positive reinforcement, and a ton of activities with them so they burn all that energy. Also if they have a lot of questions, do not tell them to stop. The more they question, the more they focus their minds, even pushing their ideas further, the better that they do.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 43
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 2/5/2011 11:18:44 PM
Ironic how when I was a child, there was no such thing as ADHD, etc...

they were know as ""bad kids"" and were beaten accordingly.

somehow that was the worst thing in the world.

now we dope 'em to cloud 9...

can't we find a nice middle ground?
 reboot1010
Msg: 44
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 2/9/2011 8:53:24 AM
Some good advice for the most part (trolls will be trolls).

Be careful with pharmaceutical solutions. You might be setting the child up for other issues down the road. Weather the storm if you can manage it. I know there are some kids out there that cannot function without meds but if yours is borderline and not full blown I would try battening down the hatches and ride it out.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 45
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 2/12/2011 8:07:04 PM

can't we find a nice middle ground?

Yup ... educating the parents to make the best decisions available for their children.

Understanding what the issues are, and resolving them via diet, exercise, cognitive behavioural therapy, medication ... or all of the above.

I've raised 3 children, one ADD, one ADHD and one NT (neuro typical)
Along with 2 husbands, one ADD and one ADHD.
Kept the kids, but got rid of the husbands as they were too far gone ... untrainable.

As stated above, there is an amazing online magazine called ADDitude magazine at www.additudemag.com
which will provide you with tons of information on, organization skills, time management, hyper-focus, relationship difficulties, and more. Also they have their OWN forum which can supply you with the information you are looking for.

It is up to us parents, to help our children find the coping skills that they need to function in our day to day environment.
 wishing_upon_a _star
Msg: 46
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/11/2011 2:12:52 PM
Let me tell you my experience with all of this, my son was diagnosed 13 years ago with ADHD since the teachers thought he was too fidgety. what kid at 5 years old is not fidgety...well to complicate matters, we was put on all these meds which made him a zombie. In the meantime he has has a speech impediment. Alot of my friends were saying that he didn't have it but the meds were helping him stay focus. I fought the school district for so many years and finally won and found out that not only did he not have adhd, but it was called a communication disorder as well as a learning disability on top of it. He is 18 now and off all meds since middle school and he a more of personality now then he did back then. You have the right as a parent to have him re-evaluated with the 3 year period if you have an IEP and don't take any crap from them. I hope this helps...we are our children advocates
 mrcs84
Msg: 47
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:30:57 PM

adhd is just an excuse for yr kids to be naughty

Ya know, sometimes I feel it's more like the need to pin the kid with some kind of disorder instead of catering to the fact that s/he wants to be doing something active. I mean the classroom setting revolves highly around children sitting still, being quiet, and listening to the teacher. Many children struggle with that learning structure.

I'm no expert though.
 mrcs84
Msg: 48
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/15/2011 11:30:57 PM
Not all kids with ADD/ADHD are hyperactive. Only those who are ADHD.

Well, this thread is called "ADHD children anyone?" So although the two disorders overlap, I just assume talk about the one.

In any case, I do that significantly less children would be diagnosed with this if parents/educators/babysitters/whatever did more activities with the kids.

So yeah, i would say that it -is- an excuse...an excuse for the adults in these kids lives to not give them the learning environment that they need to flourish.
 mrcs84
Msg: 49
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/17/2011 9:37:51 AM
Well, looks like Chidda is trying to hijack the thread. I guess that's what happens when you're passionate about something and you have "expertise."
 ohwhynot46
Msg: 50
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/17/2011 7:56:44 PM
Interesting thread. Please keep in mind that a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in a child is very difficult, and currently limited to 1% of the population. Be careful, as this is a serious disorder, often dangerous, and treatment can have serious side effects. Although I don't doubt that it, as well as other, perhaps related, disorders (such as ADD or ADHD) exist, I do believe that we have come to feel the need to have a "diagnosis" for each deviation from what is simple to deal with. Many are simply exhibiting the loss of ability or desire to parent. Be very careful, and please, do not become lazy when it comes to parenting. Just sayin'.
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 51
view profile
History
ADHD children anyone?
Posted: 3/19/2011 9:58:56 AM
My 21 yr old son does not live with me but he is very oppositional about everything He tends to bully me even when I tell him that I love him. I find that consistency, love, and structure seem to help but nothing cracks his hard "bully shell". It does not help to be around family that undermines what you say either. Structure, consistency in love and consequences may help. I even write letters to my son. Pray, be consistent and love but don't enable bad behavior seem to help the most.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >