Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kietho
Msg: 127
view profile
History
I was told I am a bad mother because I smoke marijuana.Page 3 of 24    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)
"Did anyone on here besides me actually read her post?????????" "Did you not read that she has her daughter six times a month."

Hey Icey....perhaps smoke got in your eyes as you were reading her post.....Dustie clearly states she has her child 6 times a week....she uses pot > 3 times a week.....do the math.

Now re-read the post and get your facts straight.

"I cannot get over the way people assume this gal is high around her kid. For crying out loud. Give your head a shake read the post. "

Do you still think she is not stoned around her child? Would you leave your child in the care of a person knowing they were high? I'm shaking my head alright, trying to understand your logic.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 129
I was told I am a bad mother because I smoke marijuana.
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:47:32 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and sound like a prude...but here are some ~FACTS~ that I have learned in my 25 years as a parent. Add to those, the experimentation years of my teens....and I feel I can give an accurate account. :O)

Smoking pot can and does lead to other drug use. And if you are a pot smoker who it has not happened with...yippee yippee yah yah! It DOES happen.

Very first drug is usually a little weed. Then suddenly the weed is being laced with a little "extra something" and THAT is where the psychosis can come in, that some ER nurse poster person said she has NEVER seen in her xx-amount of years on the job. (I find that hard to believe! Maybe you are going by a urinalysis that only tells what the drug IS...and not that it was laced into...MARIJUANA?!)

Maybe it is just my community/area, which I seriously doubt...but having four kids exposed me to a lot of other children and their parents. Being active in the Girl Scout council, multiplied this. The kids who had the parents who smoked with them (and I realize the OP is not smoking with her daughter....yet.) are the same kids who did not graduate high school, were in constant trouble when they were there, one died from a heroin overdose, one is in jail for a life sentence after killing his GFs child while on heroin, countless resulted in young mothers on the welfare system, yada, yada, yada. You get my point. MAYBE this cannot all be contributed to MARIJUANA per se...but it did not HELP them in any way...and kids have it hard enough as it is!!!! Why, when it comes to raising a child, would you even risk it?!

So...OP...you are most likely NOT a bad mother. But you DID question it enough to ask about it in a public forum. But you could be a BETTER mother.
 ndblue
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/18/2008 6:49:07 AM
you are her parent...she looks up to you...

you are her everything...teacher...friend...her everything...

early on she will watch every little thing you do...you cant hide anything from children... she is witnessing her loving mother whom she loves and trusts to provide her with trustworthy and safe life practices...

then...when she begins to make her own life choices...chances are she will follow the lifestyle you have taught her or she will rebel never claiming you as her own...

its up to you...can you take a chance on a once innocent tiny mind?
 abelian
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:01:53 AM
What your were told is like telling youi, ``You're a bad driver because you play cards.'' The two things have no logical relationship, a priori. You're only a bad mother if you're a bad mother. You're friend merely has some unique personal idea of what bad means.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 133
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:07:38 AM

alcohol is worse than weed so don't ever say shes wrong...weed ain't even a drug so grow the f**k up ppl and get over it not everyone is gonna give up herbal cause ur uptight bout it

Well it certainly hasn't impaired your ability communicate rationally?

What do you classify as a drug then, because you say on your profile you don't take drugs, but then go on to say you would like to meet a bloke who uses weed, hash and magic mushrooms?

wtf!!! i'm gonna have to get out of this discussion cause some ppl are making idiotic statements based of research!!! if u ppl believe what those health nuts n ppl who are against weed then u got issues n need to grow up a lot

People can do what they please, but don't for a second think it makes you an interesting person to be around when you're smoking that stuff.

Heaven forbid we listen to research and health nuts.
 somekalamazooguy
Msg: 134
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:11:56 AM
exactly dallas flier! one of the ways that we stoners think is because I "don't see any difference" betw alcohol & pot its ok to use. what about the judges with the laws behind them & the men with guns in front of them? the skinny is, should you ever get busted, you've now just invited the whole freakin system into your personal life. you are no longer "behind closed doors". issue: if the bb daddy decides, the courts will likely back him up removing your daughter from your custody. you may want to think about removing this post! not stoner paranoia here, but experience talkin.

tc
 Sharzi
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:29:27 AM
Dustie,

While I don't think smoking pot is really any different than drinking (I grew up back in the day when just about everyone smoked it), BUT, with that said, it is an illegal substance, and if you got arrested, how would that effect your child? Also, just as with drinking, what if you were high/drunk, home alone with your child and there was an emergency? Would you be able to respond to that emergency? Imagine if you couldn't... how would it feel spending the rest of your life with that regret?

Also, you mentioned, "I'm against antibiotics and processed/pasteurized foods." So you won't put anything into your body that you feel could harm you, but you smoke pot? Smoking anything could potentially lead to lung cancer. If you're smoking at home with her in the house with you, you are subjecting her to second hand smoke. You are smoking something unfiltered with God only knows what it's been sprayed with. So, your arguement about how consciencious you are doesn't really wash as it applies to smoking pot.

If you said that you enjoyed partaking every now and then.... never in the house with your daughter... I'd still think about the possibility of getting arrested and humiliating not only your daughter, but your whole family, losing your job, etc. Until it is legalized (and not sure that will ever happen), I'd put your daughter first in every single way that matters. You have rules for her to follow, and the only way to truly teach her is by example. Breaking the law isn't exactly the way to do it.

Sharzi
 Ferruginous
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:40:03 AM
I am wondering:
if the OP has her 6 year old daughter, 6 days per week
&
she smokes marijuana, at least 3 times a week
but
claims she never smokes around her daughter:
Who is minding her child, when she's getting stoned at least 3 days a week.

I don't know if having a pro-marijuana stance makes someone a bad parent?
But
I'm pretty certain that neglecting a 6 year old, to sneak off and get stoned, doesn't make you a good parent.
 dogs rule
Msg: 139
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:24:08 AM

And by the way since there's all this legal talk, although I've definitley been caught up more than a few times and let go with a simple lecture because most cops won't waste their time with the paper work, but to be on the safe side...just got a medical card I'm sure you know how easy it is :)

And yet you are to afraid to put on your profile that you do drugs!

Okay... Just to clear things up a bit more... I don't even smoke cigarettes in the house and no, I would never smoke around my daughter... I'm a criminal justice student and unlike some of you seem to think, I'm not a stupid person. I do think our government is stepping its bounds with certain things .
I stand up for what I think is right and speak out against what I feel is wrong.

Your a criminal justice student and you think its ok to break the law just because you don't agree with it. So if some guy says, I don't agree that the government can't tell me I can't murder someone, he should go out and do it and think its ok? Where is your commonsence woman? I think you need to start paying attention in school.
 carolann0308
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:46:51 AM
I would mention your drug use in your profile and not worry about those that think its wrong. They won't contact you anyway.
 dogs rule
Msg: 141
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:47:31 AM
Crumplepie says:

Because they're fighting for your rights against mindless oppressive laws? you should be thanking her.

Fighting for my rights? How is not allowing people to do dangerous drugs mindless oppressive laws? Don't tell me pot isn't dangerous, just the tar it leaves behind is proof enough of what it does to your lungs not to mention your brain.
I don't need these people fighting for me, I fully support the laws of not allowing people to smoke inside that some states have. I wish smoking cigarettes cigars and pipes were illegal but thats not what this thread is about

Crumplepie says:

Also, saying you'll hold onto an ignorant point of view regardless of anything shown to you, does absolutely nothing for your credibility, im afraid.

Its only ignorant in your point of view because you don't want to see the straight facts. People like you and the OP that complain about our government should move to another country where they are free to do the things they want. We have many soldiers dieing for you to be able to complain, so complain all you want but I still think you should move to a different country and smoke all the crap you want to
 jeri247
Msg: 144
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:59:01 AM
dustie, i wouldnt be to concerned with what that jerk had to say.. a guy from here asked me out and after having one conversation with him i knew i didnt want to.. so being polite i told him that i didnt want to waste his time and that im not interested well after that i became "stuck on myself" and shallow all because i was trying to be mature and not lead him on.. go figure.. hes just upset b/c you turned him down. doesnt sound like ur a bad mother and im sure u know that.. who cares what he thinks but i do hope you dont smoke around her
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:00:41 AM
Hm...no idea, BUT

"Possession of less than eight ounces of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $500. For subsequent offenses, the penalties increase to 1 - 5 years in jail and a fine of $1,000 - $10,000. Possession of eight ounces or more is considered possession with intent to sell and is charged as trafficking."

The above is for Kentucky. Since you can get busted, and one day may, you need to think about what will happen to your child.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 146
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:03:27 AM
One thing I've learned from POF forums is don't seek advice on topics such as this. People are too divided on the issue. You will get very biased opinions. There are two opposing factors that I feel are the only thing that matters.

1/ It is illegal.

2/ You believe its an infringement on your human right to choose what is right and wrong for you.

According to the law its wrong and in doing so labels you a menace to society.
According to your personal beliefs its an infringement on your personal right to decide what is good and bad for you. I side with the latter.

Anything else regarding the terms 'gateway', 'makes you dumb and lame', 'unhealthy for you' well those are just biased and hypocritical items that have no relevance in the matter. After all the illegality of the matter is purely political and FDA driven. An example of this is the approval of MIND ALTERING DRUGS FOR CHILDREN for ADD. Approved by the FDA.

The prescription of stimulant drugs for ADHD and ADD is an increasingly controversial area of treatment. Stimulants are worrisome alternative for many reasons.

the following is an excerpt from a study I found, not exactly updated but Im sure the numbers have increased since then.. ill look for some more...

Since 1991 prescriptions for all drugs to treat ADHD have quintupled. This year about six million children, roughly one child out of every eight, will take Ritalin or other forms of methylphenidate. The number of stimulants prescribed for children 2 to 4 has increased 200% to 300% between 1991 and 1995. Studies show that stimulants cause especially severe reactions in young children. Since there are no good studies, no one knows what it does to the development of the very young child's brain.

First it is important to realize that all of the stimulant drugs prescribed for ADHD/ADD are closely related to some illegal street drugs. These include dextroamphetamine (dexedrine) (street name: "dexies"), methamphetamine (street name: "crystal meth"), and, of course, cocaine. We imprison people for making drugs very similar to the drugs we prescribe to our ADHD children.

A research report in the Archives of General Psychiatry states, "Cocaine, which is one of the most reinforcing and addicting of the abused drugs, has pharmacological actions that are very similar to those of methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta), which is now the most commonly prescribed psychotropic medicine for children in the U.S."

The long term outcome for children is another story that has often been overlooked.

Hmmmmm.. interesting right?
 dogs rule
Msg: 147
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:03:52 AM

I don't have to tell you it isn't dangerous, people should be allowed to make choices in their own lives whether they be dangerous or safe, the government isn't a babysitter, anyone who wants to turn the government into a babysitter can come live at my house and get a job, clean my yard, wash my floors and listen to everything i tell them to do. There will b no violence in my house, and everything that's allowed will be 100% safe for the residence. I'll babysit as many people as you can find, i have no problem with that.

Ok fine allow people to make their own decisions and waste their lives away on drugs. But then why are my tax dollars paying for these people to live and get treatments and yet they are still out there stealing to buy more drugs. Should they also be able to decide to kill people, why should our government tell them they can't?
 feeltobefree
Msg: 149
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:25:37 AM
Oh what is bad indeed.. as long as its approved by the FDA its good..

baa..baa..

. dont mean to spin off topic but people are sheep and really need to do the thinking themselves and determine what is good and bad for them and hence get laws changed

* Based on a 2002 survey, 46% of Americans use at least one prescription drug daily.
* Total number of prescriptions filled in 2001: 3.1 billion
* Total cost of prescriptions in 2001: $132 billion
* Projected cost of prescriptions in 2014: $414 billion
* Percentage of incoming undergraduates using psychotropic, mind-altering drugs: 40%

* From 1992 - 2003, the abuse of psychotropic drugs grew at twice the rate of marijuana abuse; five times that of cocaine abuse; & 60 times that of heroin abuse. WOW!

* 20% of recently approved prescription drugs have serious, life threatening side effects. WOW!

* 90% of authors of clinical practice guidelines received research funding from, or acted as consultants to drug companies.
* Medical doctors, psychiatrists, & all those licensed by the government who can "legally" prescribe drugs are paid huge monetary incentives by the pharmaceutical industry to write prescriptions of their drugs. Those doctors & other professionals who choose financial incentives over a patients well being & health should be defined as "legal drug pushers" contributing to the overmedicating of America for profit.
* Percentage increase from 1985 - 1999 in stimulant psychotropic drugs prescribed to children: 327%

* Percentage increase from 1991 - 2000 in stimulant psychotropic drugs prescribed to preschoolers between 2 & 4 years of age: 50% WOW! WOW!

* The number of antidepressants prescribed annually for children under 19: 11 million
* The number of children diagnosed with "ADD/ADHD" & drugged in 1985: 500,000

* The number of children diagnosed with "ADD/ADHD" & drugged today: approximately 6 million WOW!

* CHADD (Children and Adults with ADD) received over $700,000 in 2001 from pharmaceutical companies to promote & market their drugs.
* CHADD refers to the 1999 Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health when citing ADHD as a neurobiological disorder, yet the Surgeon General's report, the DSM-IV, the National Institutes of Health, and the American Academy of Pediatrics Clinical Practice Guideline for ADHD, do not confirm or state that ADHD is a "neurobiological" disorder. In fact, the Surgeon General provided no conclusive evidence to support this theory—a fact CHADD neglects to mention on its website.
* The epidemic use of psychotropic drugs started many years ago. In 1965, approximately 58 million new prescriptions & 108 million refills were written for psychotropic drugs. This accounted for 14% of all prescriptions written that year.
* Percentage of Americans taking anti-allergy medications who may not even have allergies: 65%
* The number of signs advertising the drug Claritin in Newark International Airport lobbies: 75

* The amount spent by Merck Pharmaceutical to advertise the drug Vioxx in 2001: $161 million Do your remember Vioxx?

* The total number of advertising violations issued by the FDA for misleading drug ads from 1997 - 2001: 88; Amount of fines levied for such violations: $0 WOW!

* US direct-to-consumer drug ad spending soared to $2.49 billion in 2001 up from $859 million in 1997.
* Number of Americans annually who request & receive a prescription for a specific drug after seeing a commercial for it: 8.5 million
* Estimated prescriptions of Paxil in 2002: 37 million
* Amount spent on lobbying by pharmaceutical companies from 1996 - 2002: $500 million
* The number of former congressmen now serving as lobbyists for the pharmaceutical industry: 24
* The approximate total number of lobbyists: 600; Their average annual income: $300,000 - $400,000
* The amount of direct contributions from the drug industry to the 2002 political campaign: $20 million; Percentage that went to Republicans: 75%

* Seven drugs recalled by the FDA between 1993 & 2000 after reports of death & severe side effects exceeded $5 billion in sales before being withdrawn. WOW! WOW!

* The major stockholders of the pharmaceutical industry: FDA workers, FTC workers, Congressmen, & the CEO's of the pharmaceutical companies.
* The Annual cost of prescription drug errors: $100 billion
* A natural herbal cure was found for diabetes. The amount paid to the person that discovered it to not market or announce the cure: $30 million
* Out of the last 20 FDA commissioners, upon leaving the FDA, the number who went to work directly for the pharmaceutical industry: 12
* The approximate number of Americans that die annually from FDA approved drugs: 125,000 oh really?
* The approximate number of Americans that die annually from Aspirin use: 2,000
* The percentage of FDA workers who are paid directly through funding from the pharmaceutical industry: 55% at an average of $1.2 billion annually
* The FDA passed a law stating that only a "drug" can cure a disease therefore; farms, orchards, or any company promoting fruit as beneficial to your health were threatened with violations & the confiscation & destruction of their products. Their "cherries" for example were not approved as a new drug by the FDA & were not declared as "safe & effective". The average cost to get a "new drug" approved: $800 million. Sound unbelievable? Actual FDA letter sent to a farm marketing cherries as a natural remedy.

* In 2004 approximately 12,000 Texas Foster Children each received 21 prescriptions of psychotropic drugs totally more than $29 million. WOW!

* According to a recent study, up to 20% of all prescriptions written are for "off-label" use not approved by the FDA & with no support from scientific studies.
* According to a recent study, 96% of all "off-label" psychiatric drug prescriptions lacked scientific support.
* 25% of 239 patients consuming Vioxx had heart attacks within the first 13 days of being on the drug. Vioxx was pulled from the market on September 30th, 2004.
* The amount of money the pharmaceutical industry & the FDA would loose if Americans turned to natural cures (vitamins, minerals, herbs, fruit, etc.) instead of prescription drugs: trillions!

So who is the real drug pusher! ? What is illegal and what is legal when the FDA skews laws in favor of their financial gain.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 150
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:27:02 AM
This is not about whether recreational use should be a crime or not. And is NOT about the FDA and prescription drugs. That is another thread entirely!
It IS currently a crime. Yes I smoked...not anymore.
However, she does have a child. She said she doesn't blow the smoke in her face, but I'd like to know if she cares for her child while stoned or does she wait until she puts her to bed. And again, she could end up in jail and/or have her child taken away by child welfare. That needs to be taken into account by the OP.
 dogs rule
Msg: 151
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:35:29 AM
Oh so now you want the government to set rules when it comes to harming your life. Have you ever heard of second hand inhalation?

To say killing to get weed never happened? What planet do you live on? People have been killed for less than $10 so that the killer can go buy weed, they have killed people just to take their pot. They get five finger discounts all the time so they can get their stash. Now not all pot heads are that way, some are fully functional in society (while they are not high) and make good money, but I know more thieves that do it then not. They are breaking the law, once they break one law why not break more.

People on pot don't waste their lives? I can show you thousands of people that are wasting their lives and don't do any drugs stronger than pot.

The prison population would reduce significantly? People are getting arreest for breaking in to gas stations to steal cigarettes. What do you think will happen if pot was on the shelf.

Dude you aren't going to be able to come up with one rational thought that would change my mind. Your logic is flawed and incorrect.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 152
Alternative lifestyles
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:37:00 AM
one last post before i drop this issue...

By the collective group here she is a bad mother for smoking mary jane because it is illegal.

Now it is legal in this case if her child say three years old! has ADD or ADHD and is recommened by her physician to put them on drugs in which may cause health risks to the child and now we learn that

"Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) should get careful cardiac evaluation and monitoring - including an electrocardiogram (ECG) - before treatment with stimulant drugs, a new American Heart Association statement recommends."

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=37582

but this we accept as a norm in society. Something tells me society is all ****ed up!

You know what a bad mother is.. someone who bows down and gives their 3 yr old legal drugs that have the SAME elements as street drugs because they are hyper active.. quick fix.. try having some patience and learn get to know your child..
 nebula22
Msg: 153
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:46:54 AM
Cocaine is not a man made drug??
What planet are you from???
When you take a natural plant and mix it with acetone to change it into something that is NOT natural.. It is a MAN MADE DRUG.!!!
 forum_moderator
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 9:59:28 AM

Thread on Watch List - Inane replies , insults, off topic, chat etc ... will be dealt with.

Zero Tolerance

READ THE FIRST POST AND SPEAK TO the qustion asked

Either answer the question from the OP or move on !

sweetmagnolias
Msg: 157
Posted: 6/18/2008 11:28:59 AM
Ofcourse you are not a bad mother, nor a bad person. Im sure as adults we all have formed habits that would not be considered "Good" by society - **** society and all of the ignorance that lies within it. This is your life and your world that you are creating for yourself and family. What you do to relax is your business and so long as you do not give your daughter the impression that smoking pot will have no long term affect then she will be fine. I have smoked regularly for 17 years. Although the clarity of my mind would be alot sharper if I did not part take, I dont think Ive ruined my life. When I have children, I will not encourage them to smoke, but I will not hide it nor SCARE them out of it. Evoking fear in children to keep them away from things is WRONG. My parents smoked on and off and grandparents smoked also. Now that they are older, they quit because of health reasons but IM FINE ! Your daughter may experience a time when its offered to her, so please...at least be informative, do not hide it- do not encourage it- do not engage in it with her. Teach her that what she chooses to do with her life will be something she can decide when she is of the appropiate and/ or responsible age.
 feeltobefree
Msg: 159
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:02:42 PM
Anyone have a response to my inquisition regarding the prescription and the effects of drugs that are prescribed to children as young as TWO years old for ADD and ADHD, yet this is LEGAL! I think its rather poor parenting and ignorance to subject your child to such drugs as Ritalin at such a young age.. I bring this up because the issue of illegality keeps being raised but why don't you raise your eyebrows to the drugs that are LEGAL that are much more dangerous than pot.

6 millions children are using such drugs in the U.S. Acceptable yes. FDA approved yes. Would you put your child at such a young age at heart risk?
 Mack1949
Msg: 160
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:08:27 PM
Dustie:

As long as you hold up to your responsibilities, there's nothing wrong with you "toking the weed."

Look how many parents drink to excess or are fill blown alcoholics, & that's legal. I'm sure you'd agree to some of this that they should ban alcohol & legalize pot. As long as the liquor industry helps keep weed illegal, we'll still have ignorance towards this subject.

I salute you for your stance & for being a good parent. It's better to be alone with your head held high & with your uncompromised set of ethics than to be with some closed minded alcoholic redneck that hasn't a clue on the issue.

Continue to enjoy life & I bet your kid(s) a pleasure. All the Best.

Mack
(Been toking for 40 years & I'm responsible)
 feeltobefree
Msg: 162
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:15:18 PM
Oh was he referring to me? Hmmm.. my apologies. I thought I could tie the two together. I feel there is a complete relevance because society says one is okay and legal but really as harmful as anything else and the other is deemed bad and doing so your a bad mother.

Its pointing out the hypocrisy of society.

Perhaps this is where the laws are unjust. Laws are meant to keep the criminals in check. I'm sorry I cannot see the relation between smoking mj and criminal activity.

I'll try myself to get back on point to the thread. Is it criminal to smoke pot? U.S administration thinks so. In fact if the right authorities found out this women can be arrested and child taken away. Really.. for exactly what, smoking a herbal substance. I really thank god (no not god, my parents) for conceiving me in a country where it is quite lax regarding mj laws even though our conservative government tries to push through tougher laws.

The real problem is the law not serving society but serving the special interest groups.

I ask all of you. Would you take her child away from her? Why and why not?

Many of you used that as an excuse that thats why she shouldn't, because its at risk of her child being taken away. Well the better question is why do you agree with the law then that can have her child taken away?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >