Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 satx78218
Msg: 43
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you allow the dermatologists to fear-monger you out of all sun exposure, then you really, really need Vit D3 supplementation, since you won't be getting Vit D3 created by UVB on the skin. Vit D3 is not water soluble so dissolved in oil has best bio-availability. Now Foods has Vit D3 in olive oil capsules. Very cheap.

The numerous Vit D3 studies are causing even the useless, anti-vitamin, anti-supplement FDA to consider upping the silly RDA for Vit D3, after studies over the past couple years have shown widespread deficiency in Vit D and that deficiency to be "associated with" a wide variety of diseases, including cancer. One epidemilogist said anti-sun advice causes more non-skin cancers than it prevents skin cancers, not that dermatologists would care or know about that. Every medical specialty has its own, narrow-minded advice that often conflicts with other medical specialties' advice.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 44
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/25/2008 12:46:36 PM
Oh Lord. Please READ the vitamin D primer I suggested. This woman is one of the leading experts on vitamin D in the country (and your buddy Mercola's expert on this subject when he bothers to listen to her).

There is NO safe level of vitamin D supplementation. You NEED -- MUST BE -- tested if you're taking more than you can get out of 20 minutes of full body sun exposure or a normal diet. You can take 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day and still be deficient, or you can take 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day and have toxic levels of D in blood plasma.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but honestly the stuff you say is downright dangerous.
 satx78218
Msg: 45
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/25/2008 3:38:06 PM
the stuff you say is downright ridiculous

http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests.php?view=all&show=820&category=1&search=#820

Vit D test, alone: $200 - 350, and assume one needs to take it several times to be undangerous.

Plus visits to doctor for guidance, several $100s/year, just to take Vitamin D3?

Just who is going to spend that kind of money to take Vit D?

RDA is 200 - 400 IU. A reasonable exposure to sun can generate 20,000+ IU.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 46
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:49:01 PM
Obviously you have a lot to learn.

You can get a 25OHD test for around $65. That's what I pay, when I go for the test directly rather than through my doctor.

Most vitamin D studies are conducted over the short term so the long term effects of high vitamin D supplementation are largely unknown.

The nutritionist I referenced has been supplementing patients with LONG TERM vitamin D for over 7 years. It usually takes at least a year for D levels to become toxic, and in some cases multiple years. This is what she found from the hundreds of patients she's worked with. She found it so alarming that she actually wrote a book about it. This is why testing is SO important.

A reasonable exposure to the sun can generate NO vitamin D, or a lot more than 20,000 IUs. Some of it depends on how light your skin is, what time of year it is, whether or not you are naked, environmental pollution, where you live -- and many other factors.

It is very easy to remain vitamin D deficient if you are wearing a lot of clothing, even if your face and arms are uncovered on a 20 minute walk and you aren't wearing sunscreen. However, there are so many variations in the way people synthesize vitamin D, that any dose above the RDA can produce toxicity in some people while others will remain deficient.

You DO NOT need to see a doctor to get a vitamin D test, you just need to get a requistion form from a web site like Life Extension Foundation and then go to a local laboratory like Lab One. If you see a naturopathic doctor (ND) and your insurance covers alternative medicine practitioners, your doctors visits and tests would be covered anyway. Many medical doctors would also order the test for you, and then it would be also covered by insurance. My MD DOES order one of my two tests. He'd order both, but I only go in to see him once a year.

If you have the thinking above, do you also think that it's not worth the money to get a yearly PSA test? A medical exam?

The stuff I say is definitely NOT ridiculous. What's ridiculous is that you make pronouncements based on stuff you read on web sites.

Medline is your friend, and for little or no money you can read the full text research for free. Don't rely on abstracts or stuff you read on web sites. I've been writing on health care topics for over 30 years -- on the Hill, for major publishing companies, editing mainstream and scientific texts, and as a freelance writer. I'm appalled at what I see on a lot of heath care web sites.
 Phoebus2k9
Msg: 47
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 6/26/2008 5:39:17 AM
Sorry to intrude but this is about sugars and not Vitamin D thanks

and back to the Topic
 satx78218
Msg: 48
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 7/16/2015 3:30:59 AM
NuSI launches groundbreaking clinical study to halt nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children

Once considered a disease of adults and virtually unheard of in children, the prevalence of NAFLD in adolescents has become increasingly rampant with one in 10 children in the United States—more than 7 million—afflicted with the condition, according to recent estimates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A rapidly growing epidemic, forty million adults in America also suffer from NAFLD, which is now recognized as the most common form of liver disease in the Western world.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20150716/NuSI-launches-groundbreaking-clinical-study-to-halt-nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease-in-children.aspx

Like tobacco, sugar, especially HFCS, is legal poison, killing slowly.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 49
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 7/17/2015 3:50:19 AM
Yes it is one major bad guy along with wheat barley and other packaged foods not in natural form.
Added sugar and foods that cause sugar spikes such as flour and alcohol sugars that will be listed separate than sugar content.

Please read Sugar Blues

I think 1 teaspoon of * added* sugar a day wont hurt healthy , usually younger people, but If older, IR,overweight, heart , cancer risks, bone loss etc. BUT I wouldn't even add that everyday.
Some studies by respected sources say 100 calories of added sugar a day is fne.They vary by sex, age, health

Juices are to strong in natural sugar because its not a natural state to not eat the fruit w the fiber.
Dehydrated fruits are usually to high also with all the water taken out.

If you use commercial catsup or dressings/ soy sauce, even some mustard's and horseradish preparations or use 2 cubes in coffee or tea you will go over that amount.Packaged foods are offenders too.

We all will be affected by added sugar & grains negatively. Just because it doesnt show on your body doesnt mean you are not causing deterioration.
Issues sugar can cause are to many for me to list here.

Recently read the label on frozen, no hormone added sirloin steaks for a cookout for neighbors. The rub used had pepper, garlic, spices and also had sugar to cause browning.
Frozen chicken packages also had added sugar.
READ THE LABELS if not buying everything fresh, dont be fooled by words that mean sugar. Natural flavoring is one that really gets me.
Call the company and voice your opinions as it should say sugar if its sugar.

There is no sugar in my house.

Mine either but will buy/make something with sugar on occasion.

I find most dairy as bad( for me) and some others I know or work with if not fermented.

ALSO D3 can be very dangerous .
Im astounded at what people are told to take by Physicians.

Read the "calcium paradox" if bone health is your concern.
Eating alkaline forming foods is what you should do instead, maybe a supplement thats reasonable once or twice a week in the winter but you also need to balance it with K2-MK7

There is NO safe level of vitamin D supplementation. You NEED -- MUST BE -- tested if you're taking more than you can get out of 20 minutes of full body sun exposure or a normal diet. You can take 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day and still be deficient, or you can take 4,000 IUs of vitamin D a day and have toxic levels of D in blood plasma.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but honestly the stuff you say is downright dangerous.

I think a safe amount for no" sun" is about 400 iu twice a week, but Im still reading much of the research myself.
 satx78218
Msg: 50
view profile
History
SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????
Posted: 7/17/2015 3:06:44 PM
Scientific experts: Sugar intake 'should be halved'

Nutrition experts say no more than 5% of daily calories should come from added sugar - about seven teaspoons.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33551501

7? LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > SUGAR THE BAD GUY ????