Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > What to bring on a camping trip      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 26
What to bring on a camping tripPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hairdryer, curling iron, hair straightener, iPod & cell phone complete with car chargers, cosmetics, make-up mirror, hair products and yeah, I agree with Splendid ... bring lots of batteries for your ... umm ... battery-operated toothbrush & flashlights ... yup, that's it.

^^^BillTheCard: I have a personalized camping checklist saved on my computer so I don't forget anything. How on earth did I miss that maid outfit though? Will add it to the list.

How about a double sleeping bag & someone to crawl in with you to keep you warm & toasty? Hammocks, camera, ear plugs to drown out snorers & early risers, cards & board games, citronella candles (I hate putting chemicals on my skin & prefer to use citronella oil mixed with baby oil or lotion), clothes line to hang up wet towels & clothes, swimsuit, inflatable boat/oars/pump/life vests, extra propane bottles for your lanterns & camp stove, add regular & emergency meds to your first aid kit. I even bring antibiotics ... came in handy when my son developed an abscessed tooth & I had to pop & clean out the abscess & start him on antibiotics on day 2 of a week-long camping trip.
 alwysjstme
Msg: 27
What to bring on a camping trip
Posted: 6/19/2008 10:37:32 PM
bounce sheets, they keep mosquitos away.
 rockondon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2008 11:16:11 AM
Oh one more thing. Clear tape. The wide kind that you generally use for sealing boxes and stuff. Here's why:
You make tape bracelets for the kids that have the sticky side on the outside. Then you take them around the wilderness and everyone collects pretty flowers and sticks them to the bracelet. Once the bracelet is filled, you cut it off their wrist and cover it with another piece of tape that seals it into a strip of flowers that lasts forever. Take a pic and put the pic and the bracelet in the photo album.
 quad24
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/21/2008 12:25:18 AM
rockondon thats a wicked idea!

gotta try that one out with the NASA/CSA/SETI geologists LMAO
 johnny7103
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/21/2008 11:14:33 AM
empty cans and fishing line. *clang! clang! clang!*
(little alarm so you know when a big hungry bear is lurking while your sleeping)
 TurboAlan
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 11:57:10 AM
To begin with I don't see how anyone can be bored on a camping trip, I see no need for anything to do with board games esp during the day.
One of those wildlife books that shows what made the tracks and pics of animals and birds would be a start. My son is 6 and already knows how to track and how to figure out what made the track.

Not going to tell you what to bring but give you a few ideas on how I do things.

quart of oil -- used or new you would be surprised just how fast a camp fire gets going with just a little of this and it is not nearly as stupid as using gas.

On the way in write down where you can get cell service -- you will be surprised just how many remote places cells work even if it is a few km from your camp at least you know.

Bear spray been in the bush my whole life and 25 % of the time i have a rifle but a couple of years ago had a bear Stalk me -- yes a Griz -- and all I had was a chainsaw. I now carry bear spray.

cheap plastic tarp -- string a line over your tent and hang it there, no matter how much it rains your tent will stay dry.

full tank of fuel and maybe 5 gal in a good jerry can never go in the bush esp in fall and winter with out it.

jumper cables, good spare tire -- not that small emergency spare -- I always carry two spares for the truck and two for the trailer -- think about it if you get a flat your trip is just about over because you cant be dumb enough to keep going with no spare.
Also make sure you have the proper tools to remove the tire. Fan belts and some extra heater hose with be a good addition as well. I keep my truck in good shape and when I replace belts and hoses they go behind the seat.

Drive carefully with you high beams on when on the gravel roads.

Something for the bugs -- I wear a ball cap and dose it with bug spray esp the under side of the visor I find this works as well as putting it on your face .

Most of all HAVE FUN

Al
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/21/2008 3:01:22 PM
^^^TurboAl: The kids usually play board games when they're taking breaks from riding their bikes, in between trips to the lake or while waiting for meals to be prepared. After we've done the smores & hot chocolate feast & they're in bed at night is when the adults pull out the booze, cards or board games ... we usually play between midnight & 2 a.m. when it's too late to make noise, jam with our guitars & voices or laugh our a$$e$ off 'cause other campers are sleeping. During the day, there's tons to do so when I'm not preparing meals (usually over the fire) or hiking, I can usually be found in the water. I'm such a water baby that I could stay in the lake all day, especially when I had my yellow Lab who was as passionate about the water as I was. Dang, I miss her.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 5:02:16 PM
I wrote in msg 10 :

Last year I brought a roll of packing tape (clear kind) and made bracelets for the kids -sticky side out- so when we went for walks they could pick whatever struck their fancy to make some pretty cool keepsakes.
You can put another strip of tape on top of their 'finds' to make a bookmark or whatever.
Was a great easy craft and we had a blast looking for pretties to put on our wrists.

Rockondon writes in msg 33:

Oh one more thing. Clear tape. The wide kind that you generally use for sealing boxes and stuff. Here's why:
You make tape bracelets for the kids that have the sticky side on the outside. Then you take them around the wilderness and everyone collects pretty flowers and sticks them to the bracelet. Once the bracelet is filled, you cut it off their wrist and cover it with another piece of tape that seals it into a strip of flowers that lasts forever. Take a pic and put the pic and the bracelet in the photo album.

^^^this is what happens when you don' t read the WHOLE thread my love:)

I said it first
 Redneck Woman..
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/21/2008 8:54:02 PM
i just have a BIG CAMPING BOX i keep everything in , that way im ready to go when ever....also works great if the power goes out , youve got everything u need right in the box .

Happy camping
 silky tesoro
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/23/2008 6:10:36 PM
LMFAO !!! someonelikeyou
samadonshi2 is a MUST to take on a camping trip. Last trip i was on with her she made potatoe perogies from scratch... ...she was covered head to toe with flour and dirt DOUGH NOW !!
Anyways whatever you forget to bring, just look for the cutest guy in the campsite and ask to borrow it or better yet, share it
I plan on camping a lot this summer. Rain or shine i'm out there !!

ciao
 Gary Witala
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/23/2008 8:33:43 PM
well my group of friends like to go to the extreem for may long weekends so we have brought your basic stuff such as hotdogs and marshmellows utencils and stuff but i said extreem so there is about 20 -30 that go out most with kids and we take over this sweet little beach and set up out camps including a hottub, 30ft tv , atvs, 4x4s and crazzy foods such as an aray of seafood such as live lobster scalloops prawns, shark prime rib and a full good oldfashon turkey dinner. then we also try for a booze theme last year was wine around the world, this year was beer. not to sure what it is next year thinking liquers will be good. never the less always fun peice
 crashingchloe
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/23/2008 8:45:09 PM
^^^^Wow..now that sounds like fun camping.....visitors are welcomed right...

Traditions are great, I think more people should do them with family and good friends....and the above camping extreme sounds like a great way to do it up right !

CC
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/25/2008 4:55:24 PM
^^^ leavemebe and Rockondon: Yeah, I noticed this same story from both of you & figured you two had to have been on the same camping trip & most probably in some sort of a relationship together. Dead give-away there.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/25/2008 8:49:09 PM
I don't suggest u use an air mattress but a closed celled foam as the camping books suggest as on my last camping trip my air mattress leaked and it was a disaster but thank god for my zero gravity lounger i slept in that one instead.

Best thing not to buy a Cheap one. Do it up and sleep on it at home first. When camping, ensure nothing pokes through the floor of the Tent. In fact placing a rug under the Air Matrass will pretty well prevent most "Surprise Leakers", and I always bring a spare as they take up little space. Most importantly though is to have a heavy set of padding & blankets on top of the matress because dropping Temps at night may leave you waking up with a frozen butt.

Other than these Cautions, an Air Matrasses is about as comfy as it can possibly get, I hardly ever turn at night.

Fire crackers (dipped in wax) they really do scare off animals.

Yup, absolutely.

camping chairs are essential.

Can make the dif. between an OK and excellent Camping Experience.

Video games and portable tv's? Not a chance.

Or just stay home ... lol

LED headlamp.

I just recently bought some wind-up flashlights for $ 8.00 at the local Liquidators. Spin the handle for 10 seconds, you got light for 1/2 hour, never having to worry about batteries dying out, corrosion, etc.

Great list Ticket^^^

Its amazing what you can pack into a Truck ... too many times --> "We forgot to bring ..."
Got that Nonsense under full control now ... lol

And don’t forget mouthwash! Christ the last thing I want to do is smell your dam bad breath while we’re stuck in a tent covered by 6 ft of snow.

That reminds me to polish up on my Antarctic Camping list along the Amundsen Sea off the Ross Ice Shelf ... lol

cheap plastic tarp -- string a line over your tent and hang it there, no matter how much it rains your tent will stay dry.

Yup, still the best emergency routine when a tent leaks ...
 Walts
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/26/2008 5:02:15 AM

quart of oil -- used or new you would be surprised just how fast a camp fire gets going with just a little of this and it is not nearly as stupid as using gas.

I do believe this could be used as an example of why there is a carbon tax starting on July 1st. Instead of oil,,,,why not throw a piece of a "fire log" in with your ax,,chop pieces of it up as fire starter????? I rarely use my piece of log since I put it in 3 years ago,,,but my hunting buddy has said it has saved his ass during some nasty weather in October,November. Ummmm, yes,,,I still camp in those months,,,,,,it's steelhead season then, and of course very few wingnuts out camping then. Hmmmm, I think I just called myself a wingnut.
 johnny7103
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:50:39 AM
a shake light. they last forever and u can get them at radio shack.
 rockondon
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 9:14:18 AM

this is what happens when you don' t read the WHOLE thread my love:)
I said it first
Dammit. yeah...well...I said it better so there

I hate using oil to start a fire. For one thing, I can taste it in the hot dogs/sandwiches I cook on it. For another, the fumes are nasty to us and the environment. I make kindling and never need oil or gas to help get a fire going.
Incidentally, I prefer to bring my own firewood, even if they provide wood there. I've expected wood from the campground before and found that they ran out, or only had a few sticks that were so waterlogged as to be virtually unusable. Or I don't feel like paying 5 bucks a bundle.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/26/2008 9:55:33 AM

Instead of oil,,,,why not throw a piece of a "fire log" in with your ax,,

I hate using oil to start a fire. For one thing, I can taste it in the hot dogs/sandwiches I cook on it.

I always bring a small propane burner head which can swap cylinders with the Stove & Gas Light to get just about any fire going, but then I only go camping when the weather is "guaranteed" to be perfect, so rarely use it.

I don't like oil for a variety of reasons as already mentioned above, but want to point out that its also just about the only thing that will get wet wood burning quickly when all else fails. Even oil-soaked paper or rags work like a charm.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 10:37:50 AM
My aunt and uncle are avid campers. After getting sick of having a otugh time starting their campfire, they started buying eggs in the cardboard trays and saving all their dryer lint.
They would take the dryer lint, stuff a bit into each section of the egg carton, melt a bit of parafin wax, pour the wax over the lint and let harden. Come time to go camping they would tear them apart and throw them into a ziploc baggies. Viola! Instant home made fire starter!

Another tip is just to take the dryer lint in a baggie. It burns hot and fast while only needing a little spark to light it.
 Schmotzy
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:34:22 AM
all of the above plus a small generator and throw in a couch plus a 20 inch tv and a small portable satelite dish and a free to air reciever and your good to go ,just in case your on top of a mountain and the big game /ufc fight/or a movie under the starz is your fancy.cheerz!
oh and extra because you can never bring to much
 rockondon
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:44:14 AM
the best thing to bring is survivorman. That guy kicks ass.
 TurboAlan
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Carbon tax get a life
Posted: 6/29/2008 5:25:02 PM
Well the quart of oil (used by the way) I use up is for SURE the reason for the carbon tax, dam I hate to find out what you think of my 7,000 lb 4x4 zero mpg SUV, btw I have 4 V-8 powered cars/trucks and $OPEC$ sends me a personal thankyou every year.

Al
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 48
Carbon tax get a life
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:24:23 PM
Even oil-soaked paper or rags work like a charm.

This reminds me of when my friends were painting their house & stored their rags with paint thinner on them in a sealed plastic bucket in the garage. They came home to find the garage & part of their house up in flames & the fire department trying to put out the fire. Apparently the fire started when the fumes from the rags built up within the bucket with no place to go & ignited the rags within the bucket. I was there watching the scene along with half the neighbourhood. The crowd was warned by the chief firefighter not to store rags coated in flammable chemicals in a sealed container.
 ScotttishLassie
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:56:46 PM
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer and lots of it...
Oh yeah maybe a tent but definatley beer!
 easyas123abc123babyyouand
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:17:46 PM
Beer......... yesssssssss! and I still stick to my original post.. If you want to have an awesome camping trip............ be sure to bring Sama.. home made perogies and a million laughs! Camping with Sama is the best!

Happy camping everyone! most important thing to bring is a big arss trap.. opps.. I meant a big arss TARP lmao.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > What to bring on a camping trip