Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > What to bring on a camping trip      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rockondon
Msg: 42
view profile
History
What to bring on a camping tripPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

this is what happens when you don' t read the WHOLE thread my love:)
I said it first
Dammit. yeah...well...I said it better so there

I hate using oil to start a fire. For one thing, I can taste it in the hot dogs/sandwiches I cook on it. For another, the fumes are nasty to us and the environment. I make kindling and never need oil or gas to help get a fire going.
Incidentally, I prefer to bring my own firewood, even if they provide wood there. I've expected wood from the campground before and found that they ran out, or only had a few sticks that were so waterlogged as to be virtually unusable. Or I don't feel like paying 5 bucks a bundle.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 43
What to bring on a camping trip
Posted: 6/26/2008 9:55:33 AM
quart of oil -- used or new you would be surprised just how fast a camp fire gets going with just a little of this and it is not nearly as stupid as using gas.

Instead of oil,,,,why not throw a piece of a "fire log" in with your ax,,

I hate using oil to start a fire. For one thing, I can taste it in the hot dogs/sandwiches I cook on it.

I always bring a small propane burner head which can swap cylinders with the Stove & Gas Light to get just about any fire going, but then I only go camping when the weather is "guaranteed" to be perfect, so rarely use it.

I don't like oil for a variety of reasons as already mentioned above, but want to point out that its also just about the only thing that will get wet wood burning quickly when all else fails. Even oil-soaked paper or rags work like a charm.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 10:37:50 AM
My aunt and uncle are avid campers. After getting sick of having a otugh time starting their campfire, they started buying eggs in the cardboard trays and saving all their dryer lint.
They would take the dryer lint, stuff a bit into each section of the egg carton, melt a bit of parafin wax, pour the wax over the lint and let harden. Come time to go camping they would tear them apart and throw them into a ziploc baggies. Viola! Instant home made fire starter!

Another tip is just to take the dryer lint in a baggie. It burns hot and fast while only needing a little spark to light it.
 Schmotzy
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:34:22 AM
all of the above plus a small generator and throw in a couch plus a 20 inch tv and a small portable satelite dish and a free to air reciever and your good to go ,just in case your on top of a mountain and the big game /ufc fight/or a movie under the starz is your fancy.cheerz!
oh and extra because you can never bring to much
 rockondon
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:44:14 AM
the best thing to bring is survivorman. That guy kicks ass.
 TurboAlan
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Carbon tax get a life
Posted: 6/29/2008 5:25:02 PM
Well the quart of oil (used by the way) I use up is for SURE the reason for the carbon tax, dam I hate to find out what you think of my 7,000 lb 4x4 zero mpg SUV, btw I have 4 V-8 powered cars/trucks and $OPEC$ sends me a personal thankyou every year.

Al
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 48
Carbon tax get a life
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:24:23 PM
Even oil-soaked paper or rags work like a charm.

This reminds me of when my friends were painting their house & stored their rags with paint thinner on them in a sealed plastic bucket in the garage. They came home to find the garage & part of their house up in flames & the fire department trying to put out the fire. Apparently the fire started when the fumes from the rags built up within the bucket with no place to go & ignited the rags within the bucket. I was there watching the scene along with half the neighbourhood. The crowd was warned by the chief firefighter not to store rags coated in flammable chemicals in a sealed container.
 ScotttishLassie
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/29/2008 8:56:46 PM
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer and lots of it...
Oh yeah maybe a tent but definatley beer!
 easyas123abc123babyyouand
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:17:46 PM
Beer......... yesssssssss! and I still stick to my original post.. If you want to have an awesome camping trip............ be sure to bring Sama.. home made perogies and a million laughs! Camping with Sama is the best!

Happy camping everyone! most important thing to bring is a big arss trap.. opps.. I meant a big arss TARP lmao.

Michey63
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/29/2008 11:13:24 PM
My friend taught me to bring paper plates for meals and then you can burn them on the campfire after. Also a portable clothes rack to dry towels, clothes etc on. An umbrella is always a good thing to have on hand as well.
 Michey63
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/29/2008 11:14:46 PM
I forgot newspaper and lots of it plus a hatchet to cut kindling to get a fire started.
 XHTML
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/30/2008 10:49:12 PM
sama Msg 16 ^^^

own filled quilt .... I'm NOT kidding!!!

Having spent a most horrid night when my tent leaked in a rain storm and my down-filled sleeping bag got soaked, the fact that down loses its insulation qualities when wet was drilled home to me.

The next morning I was in that town's sporting good store purchasing a Hollowfill (a polyester fibre that doesn't soak up water and retains its insulation).

Down is great and I sleep year round with a goose down duvet. However if there is any possibility that your sleeping gear might get wet then down is the worst choice you can make.

OR
 Ticketoride
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/7/2008 9:17:16 PM
Having spent a most horrid night when my tent leaked in a rain storm and my down-filled sleeping bag got soaked, the fact that down loses its insulation qualities when wet was drilled home to me.

That's when Air Matrasses become your best Friend ... you can even sleep through a flood providing ya pack all your other stuff on top of you ...

when the tent leaks in a rainstorm .. abandon tent

With Air Matrass, put some Tarps directly on top of you, sleep through it as well.
I know this is pretty bad, a far cry from the comforts of Home ...
 BonnieB
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:45:32 AM

when the tent leaks in a rainstorm .. abandon tent

Better yet, buy a really decent tent, not the $99 Walmart special ...

Quality = Comfort in the rain.
 Temptation50
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:58:52 AM
Bring a 5 star hotel with yah, the jacuzzi will lessen the grief from rain.......
Makes dinner a tad more ejoyable too.....

Last camp site I was in the smoke from the 2 zillion campsites was so thick you could'nt see never mind breathe, no thanks, talk about coralled sheep, wutta mess.

Now if you picked a spot that was totally isolated, diff story.....
At least you could toss down the awning and fire up the satelite tv on the 45' 5th and watch cnn or something if it rained........
 BabiiFireflii
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/8/2008 12:41:04 PM
not sure if this has been mentioned but i always like to bring a hot water bottle, sometimes its gets cold out right before you go to sleep, i fill up the hot water bottle and put it in a few minutes before i go and then you have a nice warm bed to hop into
 XHTML
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:44:49 PM
Depending on your definition of camping, you might want to take a Wi-Fi Hotspot finder, so you can find a unsecured wireless network. Then you can go online with your laptop while in your air-conditioned RV and so keep in touch with all your POF buddies.

OR
 someonelikeyou
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/3/2008 7:52:51 PM
I just got back from camping with my POF friend and her kids. It sure was nice to be with a woman that can handle the rain and knows how to light a fire……..k…..well I lit the fire and she complained about how I stacked the wood in the pit!
Anyways another thing to bring if you need light is those tiki lantern things on a stick. It saves you wood as you really don’t need a fire after the kids go to bed.
 You go first
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/3/2008 8:16:33 PM
This is amazing! By the time you spend 2 hours packing everything, another hour setting up camp, then cleaning up and re-packing to go home, 2 hours unpacking when you get home and the rest of the day doing laundry, it's just too much to cram into a weekend. Any longer than that and you'd really need an RV of some kind.

I don't know how we survived 'camping' in high school - brought a 2-4 of Molson, bottle opener, can opener, case of Alpha Getti, one pot, couple of Bic lighters, an axe, some blankets and a tent. Of course, that was only for one night......
 MusicNMe
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:50:23 AM
Ok Campers, I need some help on this one
This weekend I went camping Thurs evening to Sun noon. I THOUGHT I had bought the perfect tent (yes loved the design ) a 10' x 10' x 6' high inner tent with waterproof outer shell screen room totaling 19' long (pic of it can be seen on my profile) and it was waterproof. The problem, the key seams where the fiberglass pole was in the front of the screen room were not re-enforced (funny how the rest of the seams on the tent were). When sitting in the inside of the screen room, I could see daylight coming through this particular seam because of the stress area. A major problem as I could see the fabric gradually tearing away in the future leaving me with a useless tent...
(I know you're getting a good chuckle out of this one Walts)
Needless to say, yesterday, it went back to the place of purchase for a full refund

Now, I am looking for a good water proof tent, apx. 10' x 10' x 6' high, reasonably priced. Also, where is a good place to shop for such tent
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
 samadongshi2
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:55:32 AM
3 Vets in Vancouver has all kinds of camping gear...
the key is no matter where u go u gotta pay the price for quality.
Better yet y don't u make ur own? there r few good sites with full instructions although i haven 't tried it personally myself. I already have 5 tents for one person is rather pathetic though. At least i have one always in my car so i can set up anywhere when the need arises!
 XHTML
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/4/2008 11:56:03 AM
MusicNMe ^^^

Nice you got a refund and your trip wasn't spoiled by the flaw in the tent.

Most of the equipment sold by Mountain Equipment Coop is very good quality and I'm sure their staff would be very helpful in guiding you to a suitable tent selection.

OR
 Black Sapphire
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/4/2008 2:39:53 PM
A hot body to keep me warm at night.

When is Mountain Lion 1 coming back, geez it's quiet in here!
 MusicNMe
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/4/2008 2:50:34 PM
@ Black^^^
GAuD, I could have used that Thursday night when it was POURING down rain and I was chilled to the bone from setting up the campsite (alone)
The only thing I had warm to snuggle up to was a hot cuppa tea
Damn, next time got to think this camping thing through more carefully....
 Black Sapphire
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/4/2008 5:24:11 PM
MM would be great if that hot body was an early riser and got the coffee going, been fishing and caught breakfast, was a former boy scout that could make, repair , create anything. Ok throw in gave great massages, toasted marshmallows just right, champion bug swatter and could stare down a grizzly

Ok have I gone a wee bit too far now - sounds a bit like those multitool sets...howl
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > What to bring on a camping trip