Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Quazi 100
Msg: 540
view profile
History
how would you react if your son /daughter told you they where gay Page 15 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

Quazi..........OMG........Kitten told me I was a dark spirit and I'm not getting my nickers in a knot........

Put on your big girl panties and suck it up...........

If you get that worked up over someone saying you look like an idiot........you need just as much help with your issues as she does......

Kirota...

I've been called names all my life....I have taken care of my issues.....that's why I don't converse with people, who call me names anymore.

Norm: Kitten's husband killed himself, because of the choices HE made. He decided to "out" himself after 16 years of marriage. That was HIS decision. Kitten did not kill him. Some people can't come to terms with "either" lifestyle. This is a tragic situation, and all of you need to give your heads a shake about the accusations you've been making....this thread has a "gang" mentality.

Play nice everyone....I'll tune in, but I'm gone.

Sayonara
 rdcnorm
Msg: 541
how would you react if your son /daughter told you they where gay
Posted: 1/17/2009 9:16:30 PM
Quazi,, you lost my respect as soon as you mentioned my wife who I had not mentioned before in this topic,, as an attempt to insult me as to why she left, without knowing I was widowed was uncalled for,, just shows what kind of person you are,,

So please don't tell me what I should think about kitten,,,It this case I will judge,,due to the facts that have been presented,,

OT,, I would always support my son, if he told me he was gay or anything eles in life,, I would welcome his partner in my life,,this I know if my son loves him, and happy,, then so am I.. well all know love is not and easy thing to come by theses day,,
 crazyindian69
Msg: 542
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2009 10:44:04 PM
If my son/daughter was gay, i would ask if they were happy, probably after a few beers after hearing the news. Then ask if they are the dominant one in the relationship, hahahahaha... NOT.
 guru7908
Msg: 546
Posted: 1/19/2009 7:06:52 AM
my son told me two years ago that he was gay an i told him i didnt think any less of him.
we have since been a little closer in our relationship with each other than before.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 552
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2009 10:57:52 AM

kit said, "when we were divorcing he was crying and made a comment to me that I wil lnever forget, he said he was scared to death that if I left him he would end up sucking some man's****

He told you he was SCARED TO DEATH, you left him anyway, so you have his blood on your hands. He could not have been much clearer.

But, you try to make us all believe you left him so he could have what he needed. I call bull chit on you.

Opie...

This might be one of the best examples of twisting someone's words that I've ever seen......

If he was scared to death of certain things, then he shouldn't have come "out". He made a choice, and misrepresented HIMSELF the day they married.....

FROM EXPERIENCE, I know that individuals in this kind of situation are often VERY CONFUSED, and are happy about coming out one minute, and regretting it the next.

If he decided that he was going to live his life as a transvestite, and Kitten wasn't into waking up next to her "sister", that was his decision, and his responsibility for telling her. If he couldn't live with his decision, that is not Kitten's fault.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 557
Posted: 1/20/2009 8:56:01 AM

love the people special in your lives no matter what , do it when their alive ...

That is the point,, but there are some who say they can love, while abandoning a person at the same time,, many of us are trying to point out that in love,, we also should be able to accept the other person for who they are,, even if we are in disagreement. To be part of their lives, because we love them.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 559
Posted: 1/20/2009 10:35:03 AM
Kitten,, what makes you think I was talking to or about you,, if I were My comment would have been different,,
 MsMicki
Msg: 563
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 12:40:32 PM

We are all different in how we relate and act towards things or situations.

Yes, Kitten........you are correct.
But you are incorrect in thinking it doesn't make it a selfish reaction.
Everyone has opinions on things......not every opinion is right.
You can stick by your opinion all day long....it doesn't make it any less selfish.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 573
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:24:39 AM

I saw a movie on tv of a true story that happen in real life. It was sad becuase the son was gay and told his parents. they did not accept him and threw him out of house. The boy ended up committing suicide. it was sad story. unfortuantely I guess I would be like the parents in that movie.

So here he was my best firend. Yet I couldnt be in a relationship with him. see this is what I mean by you can love someone and still not accept their behavior. I only wish I could have him back to give him a hug and tell him I love him. But sadly I couldnt accept his other side if he came could come back.

I wonder how many people, if they could would go back and change something about themselves, to save a life.. I know I would...

Above we were given two examples, In the first, knowing that we loved someone who was gay, then kicked them out of the house. I wonder what affect it had on him. Not feeling loved and accepted for who was. How that would contribute to a major form of depression. Eventually commit suicide, because the mom and dad, Wouldn't even try to accept who that man was. I wonder what if might have felt like to be rejected, and to no longer feel love and cared about by his parents..

The part that I find appalling and disgusting is, just knowing there was or is a possibility of some sort of mental break down, 1) admitting your gay I'm sure has it's difficulties, 2) then to be thrown out of the house, /rejected. Then just to be aware there is a good possibility/ fact in this case, that suicide was inevitable..

Why would anyone what to repeat that mistakesof the parents who had already made them.? Why wouldn't a parent, try to be compassionate, accept their child, educate themselves/ show support even though they may not truly understand why their son was gay.. It's been said knowledge is power,, therefore someone to disagree with that, would have to be an ignorant fool..

Therefore ignorant fool,in my opinion would be someone who knows the out come is be death,, and still have the desire to do nothing if they could change the outcome to something other than death.. All because they are to self centered, to learn and accept with compassion..

My same opinion stands if a spouse committed suicide,, Given the opportunity to change death by acceptance and support,, they would still accept death one more time, over the learning about how to accept the person for who they were,, through love and support...

We base our opinions on knowledge of facts and through our own life's experiences..
If we had the power to chance the death of someone we loved..Why would some one not be willing change, to have the one they loved back in their arms.. Makes no sense to me,,
 MsMicki
Msg: 575
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:58:44 AM
Man, I hope your new hubby doesn't read that Kitten.
That's alot of baggage to bring to a new marriage.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 577
Posted: 1/21/2009 8:29:37 AM
gay, straight, what's the difference?

Grandchildren.

There is adoption, invitro, surrogate mothers,

That's only important if the parents make their children's choices about them and not their children........
But a young adults choice, there choices are not about the parents, their choice is to choose what is good for them and their happiness..

Therefore, all we parents should do, is love and support our children's choice to be gay or not,, If in fact gay is a choice,,

Kitten: you missed the point in my post 575,, it figures too..

Edit: why wait,, educate your self "NOW" someone sexuality is not about you but them..
 rdcnorm
Msg: 579
Posted: 1/21/2009 9:27:35 AM
Kitten,, The only thing I accept is your ability to chance your thoughts and what you would do, when you get caught either in a lie, or double talk,

death or stay married........i would choose stay married no matter how unhappy we both were.

Basicly you are saying,, you would accept him, but not like it,,

OK .. but you said this as well,,

So here he was my best firend. Yet I couldnt be in a relationship with him. see this is what I mean by you can love someone and still not accept their behavior. I only wish I could have him back to give him a hug and tell him I love him. But sadly I couldnt accept his other side if he came could come back.

But here you say,, you wouldn't accept him, even if he were back..{therefore the choice is still death) because you wouldn't have stayed with him...

you said nothing about accepting him and staying with him,,

It's crap like this,, that is consistent with you,, always double talk, or adding little bits, as needed to cover up what ever it is your covering up,,

Do I hate you NO,,
I dislike what you stand for, I dislike that you bring your husband here to this forum and make it sound like he was full of issues,, I dislike that you take very little responsibility for your actions, I dislike the fact, your not open to other people ides and opinions,, I dislike that you are a bigot.. I dislike that you stayed in a marriage that you say was good and wonderful, yet all these problems existed,, I dislike that your selfish, and will not admitted to seeing these issue in your marriage, well before the man took his life,, I dislike the fact that most of your so called knowledge came after his death, and not before,, I dislike the fact that you are unwilling to change, Not because we are right and you are wrong,, but rather you won't open your mind to anything different than your opinions your views, your side, your story,,

Personally I'm done,, no more comments,, unless you say some thing false about me,,
I do hope you learn something, that is life is bigger than your little narrow mind..

No need to worry,, it's up to you to keep this crap going or not,, see ya,, I hope you see the light,, some how,,
 Quazi 100
Msg: 582
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:15:22 AM
Ok, everyone....

One more time.....the husband pulled the wool over Kitten's eyes the day he married her. She married him in good faith that he was who he said he was. He had made a CHOICE.

Sixteen years later, he changed his mind, and decided that he had to live his life "authentically". That's fine.....

This is no longer the man Kitten married....this is a different person. This person could have been with other men (I found that out the hard way) or not. Is it Kitten's responsibility to stay with a man who misrepresented himself when they married, and could now, depending on his activities, put her life in danger? I don't think so. Once I knew FOR SURE that my ex-boyfriend was gay, (and had been with other men) there was no question for me, especially since I was sick, and HIV tests were being done. I didn't have to ask him to leave, he knew that I wasn't willing to live that way.

Dr. Phil refers to circumstances like this as "deal breakers". Conditions which a person isn't willing to accept.

Kitten's husband will have known that his CHOICE wouldn't go over well, or he would have done it sooner. Like I've already said, some gays, transvestites, are very confused about what WORLD they want to live in, and can't reconcile themselves to either world.

When people kill themselves, they WANT TO BE DEAD. Had he been angry at Kitten, he could have taken a handful of pills, and then phoned her, and told her it was her fault and she would have phoned an ambulance to save him. She's right, he was afraid to die alone. And trust me, committing suicide in front of someone is a very selfish thing to do.

The divorce rate is 50% these days....and yet you are all judging Kitten as though it is a mortal sin. Has anyone been in a similar situation to hers? Or even mine, which was much less dramatic? If not, what gives you the right to judge what Kitten did? Her husband was "manipulating" her from the very start. Then when he made the choice to change his life, sounds to me like it wasn't all that he thought it would be.....Kitten or no Kitten.

Until you've been in the position that you have been manipulated, and lied to, and sometimes you think you're losing your mind, because you don't know what's right or wrong anymore, you have no clue what you're talking about.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 584
Posted: 1/21/2009 11:53:31 AM

When people kill themselves, they WANT TO BE DEAD.

You know this how? They may think death is better than life, because life may have failed them in their eyes, and the people around were not there to see the signs, such as depression. If I understand suicide right,, those people are depressed,, therefore, their judgement in impaired.. therefore, wanting to be dead is a symptom of depression.
Oh,, knowing your spouse is on medications for depression, should not be a get out of jail free card, I would say, share in the responsibility of depression,, because he/or she may have been part of why that other person might is depressed..

She married him in good faith that he was who he said he was.

16 yrs later for better or worse, sickness (depression) & heath Hmmmmm till death..

husband will have known that his CHOICE wouldn't go over well, or he would have done it sooner.

Again you know this how,, ( see depression) he may have become more depressed because lack of support..

She's right, he was afraid to die alone

That may be true,, or it could have been his last effort, in the attempt to ask for help that has been denied him for such a long time,, (see depression)

Her husband was "manipulating" her from the very start.

Again, you know this how/why.. it may take years for someone to understand themselves,, who they are, gay or straight..

How foolish some people can be to assume what this man was thinking while he was clinically depressed.

If not, what gives you the right to judge what Kitten did?

You may think it's judgmental,, for my self, I just point out what I see, decrepencies,,

Until you've been in the position that you have been manipulated, and lied to, and sometimes you think you're losing your mind, because you don't know what's right or wrong anymore, you have no clue what you're talking about.

If you speaking of your experiences, OK, but to assume someone else did the same thing,, well what gives you that right..

Kitten I'm addressing this to Quazi, because of her assumptions..
 rdcnorm
Msg: 588
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:06:41 PM

Again you know this how,, ( see depression) he may have become more depressed because lack of support..

rdcnorm, Talk about assumptions and it was you who wrote the above comment. But I would like to say one thing about your comment.

Please learn how to read,, I made no assumptions,, please take notice of these words

________________ """he may have become""""_______________________

Kitten,, I wasn't talking to you but,, you have no clue what the real term depression is,, it's more than a chemical imbalance.. see the causes of depression,, divorce being one of them,, having family difficulties

Experts believe genetic traits, along with stressful events, illness, medications, or other factors, can lead to an imbalance of certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, causing depression. Conditions that may trigger depression include:

Some medications, such as steroids or narcotics for pain relief. After the medication is stopped, the depressive symptoms usually disappear.
Problems with hormones, such as imbalances in the thyroid or adrenal glands.
Chemical imbalances, such as imbalances in blood calcium levels or low iron levels (anemia).
Long-term (chronic) diseases, such as arthritis, heart disease, or cancer.
Infections, such as viral infections or infections in the liver or brain.
Social stressors, such as the death of a loved one.
Chronic stressors, such as living in poverty, having family difficulties, or having serious medical problems or living with someone who does. Older adults who move from an independent lifestyle to one that is more dependent upon others often experience depression.
Social and peer pressures in children and teens. For more information, see the topic Depression in Children and Teens.
Drinking alcohol, using illegal drugs, or having a substance abuse problem.
Other conditions, such as menopause or chronic pain, stress, or fatigue.

What Increases Your Risk
Several factors increase your risk for depression. Your risk of developing depression is up to three times greater than that of the general population if you have a father, mother, or sibling with depression. If you have had depression before, you are much more likely to have depression again.3

Other risk factors for depression include:

A history of heart problems, such as coronary artery disease.
A serious, ongoing (chronic) illness, such as diabetes, cancer, or chronic pain.
Problems in your marriage.
Use of drugs or alcohol.
Use of certain medications that might trigger depression, such as steroids or narcotics for pain relief.
A stressful life event, such as losing a job or the death of a loved one. This is especially true for older people who have many social stressors, such as becoming dependent upon others for care.
Certain medical conditions, such as anemia and thyroid disease.
Aging and dementia, a loss of mental skills that affects your daily life.
Recent serious illness or surgery.
A childhood history of physical or sexual abuse.
Constantly worrying or being overly anxious.
An eating disorder or anxiety disorder.
Additional risk factors for depression in women include:

Recent childbirth. For more information, see the topic Postpartum Depression.
Use of birth control pills (oral contraceptives). However, for some women, birth control pills can improve mood.
A history of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (severe premenstrual syndrome, or PMS).
 rdcnorm
Msg: 589
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:10:26 PM

Off topic, having someone divorce you will most certainly lead to depression.

I highly doubt that. Do you have any idea how many people divorce daily and dont go into depression or commmitt suicide. divorce might make someone sad but complete depression is not likely.depression is not just being sad its a real illness. a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Again you speak without knowing the facts,, you are always ready to dismiss someones opinion,, because of your inability to listen and get educated on a certain subject..
 Quazi 100
Msg: 590
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:30:41 PM
You know this how? They may think death is better than life, because life may have failed them in their eyes, and the people around were not there to see the signs, such as depression. If I understand suicide right,, those people are depressed,, therefore, their judgement in impaired.. therefore, wanting to be dead is a symptom of depression.
Oh,, knowing your spouse is on medications for depression, should not be a get out of jail free card, I would say, share in the responsibility of depression,, because he/or she may have been part of why that other person might is depressed..

Norm....
I have PLENTY of experience with clinical depression..it runs on both sides of my family....my father, and a cousin have both committed suicide....I have been on anti-depressants for 20 years. I also have intimate knowledge of committing suicide....and trying to commit suicide. There's a HUGE difference.

If someone is serious about committing suicide they will pick a very quick method....usually a gun...jumping off a building or bridge. Something that they can't be "rescued" from. People who are "attempting" suicide will use things like pills....something that you need a whole lot of, and slow acting enough, leaving time to be "rescued". Someone who is serious will act as though nothing is wrong, and will make plans for vacation, a poker game, a football game, to not raise suspicion. These suicides are devastating for loved ones, because they come out of nowhere, and are usually "messy. Attempts are usually accompanied by "threats".....don't get me wrong, people who attempt are sometimes successful.

Believe this or not....some people who commit suicide are not clinically depressed...they just don't want to be here. Kitten is talking like that, and I'm sure all the bashing is doing wonders for her.

Kitten should be as responsible for her husband's depression, as he was about being upfront with her about his "sexuality".....whenever it "happened". Like I said before Norm, there are "deal breakers" in life. Kitten didn't sign up to be married to a transvestite.

If I make an assumption, I make very sure that I know alot about the subject I'm assuming about.....I've either studied, or have personal experience, or both....usually both.

Oh....there are two kinds of depression. Chemical and situational. Anti-depressants often don't work for situational depression. If one has both situational and chemical depression, it is obviously much more dangerous than having either form by itself. Taking medication incorrectly can cause numerous problems....suicide among them.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 592
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:48:19 PM
If I make an assumption, I make very sure that I know alot about the subject I'm assuming about.....I've either studied, or have personal experience, or both....usually both.

you did your research as it relates to your certain situation,, but to assume kitten husband is dead for the same or smilier reasons is wrong,, all the crap I Have been reading, I would need a transcript just to figure out what the hell kitten is really saying,, she is so confused with lies it's no wonder she can't keep things straight,, even if someone points out causes of depression, she blatantly disregards them as if she is an expert like yourself,, while both of you are not reading what she wrote,, you may be to close to the situation for what ever your reasons to see the truth,,

This I am sure of,, kitten has told some of the truth,, but where is the truth hidden amount all the deceit, or contradictions,,

Edit:
Not so. I cant control anyone's feelings or actions

That has some truth to it,, but lets look at it this way,, what we do to someone we love directly affects how they might feel,,

For example If you cooked a nice dinner, spent all day cooking and preparing it for your husband,,because you wanted to make him happy,, that makes you feel good right...

Now he comes come and say,, what the hell is that S*ht,, I'm not eating it,, he is not in control of your feeling,, but I would guess you would feel bad and may be even pissed off..

The point is we react,, by some the actions of some one we care about,, just look at some of your posts,, you react by calling people names,, therefore they have taken control of your feeling,, or you wouldn't be so pissed off at people you don't even know..

edit again,,

Unfortunately, the names may change, but the situations and outcome usually follow very similar patterns

The key word is usually,, but we know nothing of the man,, therefore we know nothing of what might usually happen,, on one ones view,, that has been inconsistent,,
Nothing she say flys with me,,
 Quazi 100
Msg: 593
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:55:33 PM

you did your research as it relates to your certain situation,, but to assume kitten husband is dead for the same or smilier reasons is wrong,,

Norm...

I am talking from much more than my own experience.....I have been around these "types" of situations for many years.

Unfortunately, the names may change, but the situations and outcome usually follow very similar patterns.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 600
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 3:28:55 PM

People commit suicide because they want to stop their pain, not because they want to be dead.

I hate the internet, because people put their own "spin" on things, and don't bother reading what has been written. Where did I say that "wanting to be dead" was the "cause" of suicide?

The "wanting to be dead" is the end result, not the cause......

In the case of a suicide, the pain eventually leads to the "wanting to be dead."

Another story.....

My cousin committed suicide when he was 14. One night, he brought a noose out to his Mother, and told her what he intended to do. She sat down with him for hours and talked to him about his problems, and what was stressing him out, and they untied the noose, together.

The next day, he hanged himself from a swingset in a public park.

His Mother was understandably inconsolable. She thought it was her fault. If she had taken him to the hospital, he wouldn't have done it.

Not true. Statistics show that the longer someone has been in the hospital, the more likely they are to commit suicide shortly after they are released. They are no longer "cocooned" in a safe environment, and have problems adjusting to "real life".

If someone is intent on dying, they will.

Kitten has stated, somewhere in these pages, that she offered to go clothes shopping-for women's clothes, with her ex-husband. That sounds pretty understanding to me.

If I was with someone, and I knew that they were going to commit suicide in front of me, I would be calling 911 right away. I wouldn't wait for them to do it. I wouldn't care how much they wanted my understanding, if someone is prepared to do that, they need far more help than I can offer them.....and if they really WANT TO DIE....they WILL do it later.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 604
Posted: 1/21/2009 4:08:31 PM
It appears to me the tread/topic is about accepting or not someone who is gay, , therefore death with the possibility or rejection because they guy and depressed is far from off topic..it's is the cause of affect of not being accepted because they might be guy..

I think Nola is right on with her comments,,

Quaze, you just seem to want to over look the facts presented in this forum..
Things don't go you way,, and your going to cry fowl,,, that's a big girl,,,
 MsMicki
Msg: 605
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 5:02:47 PM

..........OMG. You decided that YOU knew best and told him to stop taking meds

Yes and he is dead becuase he didnt listen.

Kitten.....you honestly think your ex is dead because he didn't quit taking his perscribed meds??
For you to even suggest he should quit taking a medication that an actual doctor perscribed.......is.......well.......just proof your ignorance knows no bounds.
You read a couple articles on the internet.......and suddenly you know as much as a person that has spent half their adult life learning to be a physician.
Amazing.....just truly amazing.

I gotta tell ya......your lack of compassion, your inability to put your own feelings aside, your ignorance on so many subjects......is going to affect alot more people than just your ex. Why don't you try picking up that Bible you like to shove down folks throats........and read it and learn some humility before you warp those 2 innocent children your are raising.

and remember.....you keep inferring your ex's depression was family oriented......
are those his children you are raising? The same children you would show your disappointment to if they were gay? It's a very thin line you are walking.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 608
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 6:48:40 PM
I've already asked that the thread be closed....

Go ahead, Lonestarstar.....straighten out all the bad psychology.
 rdcnorm
Msg: 609
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:03:28 PM

.........Kitten should be as responsible for her husband's depression

Not so. I cant control anyone's feelings or actions. Quite frankly neither can you. But you are a true idiot for saying such a thing. Earth to rdcnorm. earth to rdcnorm. time for you to return to reality.

Kitten are you sure I said that,,
This is the full Quote,, your advocate "QUAZI" said this

Kitten should be as responsible for her husband's depression, as he was about being upfront with her about his "sexuality".....whenever it "happened". Like I said before Norm, there are "deal breakers" in life. Kitten didn't sign up to be married to a transvestite.

I would have said,, Kitten should have "taken some " "share" in the responsibility for her husband's depression,, It was you who wanted a divorce,, and if you did do your research more men are likely to become depressed than woman in a divorce,, take that into consideration,, you husband was already depressed and taking medications,, I'd also suggest, living with someone for 16+ yrs,, you would think you be able to recognize mood chances among other things. As well how your husband's depression affected you personally as well,
 MsMicki
Msg: 610
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 7:05:54 PM
quazi.......If this thread bothers you......then stay out of it.
You are more than welcome to hold Kitten's hand in your personal messages to her.
You 2 can physcho-analyze each other and treat each others diseases with all your combined medical knowledge.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >