Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Incredibly alive people      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 11
Incredibly alive peoplePage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
...Its about giving off "positive vibes".....people tend to want to be around those types. I have 2 teenage daughters at home and my eldest has such a great disposition. She is always happy, laughing and joking and has such a positive outlook. People seem to gravitate towards her, she has lots of friends.
Now my other daughter who is 2 years younger is totally opposite, she tends to be on the negative side, very hard to please and has very few friends. She of course is very envious of her older sister's popularity......but like I tried to explain to her, people do not want to be surrounded by unhappy, negative people. I explained that whether you realize it or not, a person's negative feelings are some "absorbed" by others. No one wants to feel like that....so they avoid.
The same holds true in the adult world, who do you want to be around?

...maeflowers
 SueCat51
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/22/2008 12:58:34 PM
I've known some people like this. Yes, my jaw is in awe of them. There are people out there that have a certain gift, I don't know if they are born with it, work at it, or perhaps some of both. People are drawn to them like magnets. They are very chrismatic people, they are very people oriented type of people. When you converse with them, you are the center of their attention. They make you feel comfortable, important, and alive.
 RDtoo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/22/2008 4:51:29 PM
The funny thing is, I went to another POF party last night, and a guy who was there saw me talking to that couple. He gave me some info about a previous experience he had with them, which is leading me to believe they are what is known as "swingers". There were some clues to that on Friday night but I ignored it.
 RDtoo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:57:14 PM
Epiclove, I imagine you were addressing that to me, the OP. Thank you. And your post was brilliant. As for your last sentence, I feel the same towards you.
 FloridaMusicMan
Msg: 15
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/25/2008 10:55:28 AM
I must agree with CathieT msg 42.I recently moved to SW Florida.All the people in my neighborhood are seniors in their 70's+.They have pool parties,and golf every day.They wave and sime driving their golf carts through the neighborhood.Life is an attitude,positive attitude radiates positively.I enjoy playing music and do so several times a week.I see all ages of people over 50 enjoying,dancing,and cuting up.Letting go of all those insecurities and giving in to your inner child is a wonderful thing.Music is the language of the soul and if it speaks to yours then listen.
 codedout
Msg: 16
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/25/2008 2:09:53 PM
For some of people they got a second lease on life. I am one of those lucky people. I used to be intraverted, and sit back in the shadows.

10 yrs ago my life changed drastically, I had a choice to lay down and die or get up and live. I chose life, so now when I go out I try to meet as many people as I can obviously filtering good from bad and surround myself with some warm, wonderful people.

I am probably one of those people you described in the OP. The one good thing about giving out good positive vibes and love, is that whatever you send out you get back. We have a fairly large b-day bash each year, this year there were 70 attendees.

One of the first timers to the party was astonished at the people there and was even shocked that I knew them all personally. By the end of the night he had met some new firends and was acting like the people you described.

Its kind like I quote in my profile:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a ride!!!'"
 NiceOnPurpose
Msg: 17
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/25/2008 2:13:21 PM
I think that when you love what you are doing at a given moment it shows. If you love humanity it shows. Good health, a sense of humor and good hair dye help a lot too.
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 18
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/26/2008 2:58:46 PM
Being in love, sharing things together, communicating , showing affection and appreciation is a wonderful thing. It seems these people were all of the above. If only everyone could be this way the world could be a better place. I think these people are very lucky to have found one another and obviously it shows. Kudos to them!
 fancynanci
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 6/26/2008 3:59:37 PM
I've been told I'm like that. I think I've been like this since birth...
 Rythmn
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/6/2010 3:34:51 AM
this thread made me very nostalgic. i've always loved life and laughed a lot. lately, i'm meeting a lot of very depressed people. then there are the couch potatoes. with my disablity, i seem to have more energy than many of those physically fit, around me. i sooooooooooooooooooo miss nyc, with the hustle and bustle and creativity, alongside the really good jazz bars. it's real pretty where i live now and my kids are thus far close by. it's a college town, has music and dance, but where are all the older folks who still love to brainstorm and have passion in their voices? does it take two as portrayed by the OP? if no, then why is everyone i meet so glum lately? it 's gotta be something with me, that i am attracting. or, is this just about becoming old farts and that is at some point inevitable? damn, i wanna go down with raucous laughter and joy! hmm, by go down, i mean meet my maker--not the other kind. although, second thought.....
 english lass
Msg: 21
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/6/2010 7:28:33 AM
when people are basically thankful and happy with life, no matter what their circumstance, it's contagious; loving life and having fun in what they do when possible, it shines, it's good to be around
 moraima
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:47:39 AM
"it's contagious; loving life and having fun in what they do when possible, it shines, it's good to be around"

I am thrilled to be part of a group like that here in Canada, and other group in another country.

I swear people read our energy levels and are drawn to it. Frankly, I don't get living any other way.

I am gifted with the energy to do all the things that are important to me. I get a huge high out of doing rescue work with animals, as do the people in my group here in Canada.

If I do want to take a break, I just think about the fact that others have more need than I and the reward I get from what I do is so worth it.

We got together for a night out last night. Yes, multiple people we drawn to join us (not always a good thing).
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/6/2010 11:16:17 AM
We were out last night at a bar with a group of friends (about 8 other couples) who are basically all like you describe, RDtoo. We pretty much made the party, had a blast with karaoke, pool, flirting, dirty dancing, and just socializing. Most are in the 40 to 60 range, in long term happy marriages, and *gasp* most are swingers. We call the group the non-jealousy club.

Often, other people in the bar at these impromptu gatherings join our party for the evening and have a blast too.
 damassteel
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/6/2010 3:57:15 PM
My GF and I are both very good dancers. One night while at a local Tappas Bar, when a selection by "Buena Vista Social Club" came over the sound system, we got up and began to dance. In that moment we were totally oblivious to the rest of the crowd and focused on one another. The song ended and all who watched us appauded.
I think it was the fact that we were unselfconscious enough to just enjoy the moment as though we were the only ones in the place. That I think, captured the imagination of the others. It was kind of like a musical movie where the couple breaks into song and dance in the midst of a romantic scene; we initiated a somewhat "surreal" moment not seen everyday and we simply brought others along with us for the ride; They liked it.
 LG2727
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/7/2010 8:13:08 AM
All my friends(men and women) are like that! We enjoy getting together whether its dancing, boating, parties, etc. Some of the most fun and active people I know are in thier 60s, you would never know it because of their zest for life. I thank God I found such wonderful kindred spirits! As far as why we still like enjoying life? I dont understand why you are confused unless you are that lonely and unhappy?
 oldkid
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:23:10 AM
On an individual basis, it is attitude and self confidence. The real multiplyer is having 2 or more people together with similar attitudes - they tend to inspire each other to greater heights. Watch couples who do a little flirt, tease each other, enjoy some spontaneous laughter - they light up the room and make others feel good about themselves. Throw your hang-ups out the window and enjoy life.
 RDtoo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:56:26 AM
UPDATE! As it has been a couple of years since I began this thread, I wanted to update you. I got to know the couple that I opened this thread with a little better after that as they showed up at our POF parties a couple of more times. I want to tell you, appearances are deceiving! It turned out that they were not the nicest of people when you got below the surface. Very selfish and self-centered and deceitful. Oh well.

I think the thing that makes people stand out, as some of you have pointed out, is energy. Energy that comes from within. I guess I wanted to explore this because I have had the ability at times in my life, to light up a room like that. More often I have the opposite effect. Some of you have claimed that you and your friends have this effect on a room. Maybe you do, I cannot confirm it. I know I see people in bars all the time who think they are the center of the universe and everyone else in the room wants to be with them. More often than not they are mistaken. At any rate, I have come to the conclusion that all that glitters is not gold, and that sometimes simple kindness to others is much more attractive and in the end shines brighter.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 28
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:29:09 AM

At any rate, I have come to the conclusion that all that glitters is not gold, and that sometimes simple kindness to others is much more attractive and in the end shines brighter

....Indeed, all that glitters is not gold. And being on a dating site has taught me to beware of shiny objects (lol)....

...mae
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 29
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:36:03 AM

I think the thing that makes people stand out, as some of you have pointed out, is energy. Energy that comes from within.

I totally agree. I think positive energy makes people happy & successful. I don't know if the energy could be called an aura, but it's been described that way by some

...Hey, I went out on a meet with a guy who saw aura's. As soon as I sat down he said I had an aura and he felt very positive about me. He saw images in the fire too.
Needless to say, there was no second date.

...mae
 Gue$$who
Msg: 30
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/8/2010 10:50:43 AM
Sometimes you'll run into just the right partner that no matter what differences you have, when your together its like your the only 2 people on the dance floor. Your focus is your partner and just having fun. No worries or concerns of being criticized and if for any reason you would be....tough for them. It's called living life and having fun, you know what they say about hinsight, so isnt it better to just have fun !
 Rythmn
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/9/2010 10:24:54 AM
interesting update RD2. i think back to my longer term relationship of several years. when we got out on that dance floor, we were great! but underneath, the rest was not coming together. unlike your couple, we are both nice people.

i think that peace and joy must be intertwined in this way of living life. not just out partying and drunk. a temporary joy, that for me comes with dancing, nature and community making, is a gift. but underneath, i wish i were not so "sensitive" at times. at other times, i realize that with it, i have somehow managed to garner an incredible strength.

this living life is a quest it seems. to all the seekers!
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 32
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/9/2010 3:05:51 PM
Incredibly alive people are not a rarity!! Up here in the frozen north, we thrive with great turnouts to our events.

When I have hosted a PoF event, I have all kinds of comments about "what a great party" it was, "what a good dancer" I am and how much their belly hurt from laughing so much. All a person has to do is enjoy the good company they are with, if the company does not want to join in and have some of the fun, it is their loss. Keep it simple and fun is the best anicdote for a good time when ever you are out. The simplest one liners will always get people lightening up and joining in. I love to be amongst partiers, and am always thanked for a good time (some times even a bit of ment to end the night!)
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 33
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/14/2010 3:20:17 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Sheet op.

I make light bulbs explode when I walk in a room.

Oh.... My bad, that's just in church
 Molly Maude
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/16/2010 12:52:37 PM
Heart Tunes ... I've been back here ... just to RE-read your post!!! unbelievably witty! surely ... hopefully ... WRITING is what you do for a living???

to comment on the original post ... we've all seen people who appear to be "incredibly alive" ... in fact, we've all BEEN those people ... but not every day ... not in every situation ...

when you're totally comfortable in your setting ... when you're "at one with" the situation, the other people in the room ... when your mood is good, you're healthy and you're focused on the event ... sure ... you can be "incredibly alive" ...

people just don't do it every day in every situation! in my humble opinion!
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Incredibly alive people
Posted: 2/20/2010 12:50:37 AM
Try seeing the 'alive' bit in yourself!

~sc~
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Incredibly alive people