Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Christianity 'could die out within a century' Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think (hope) "Christianity" as we know it will eventually die out and also hope that the new religion of the world will just simply become the golden rule. I really do think that's all we really need in order to live happily with one another. I don't think we have to worship or fear some invisible thought in order to live peacefully with one another.
 RDtoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Christianity 'could die out within a century'
Posted: 6/21/2008 1:27:19 PM
Christianity has probably grown in popularity over the past couple of decades. The sad reason being is that it has been watered down to make it more appealing to the masses. Not sure how much real Christianity is being practiced today. Dying, no. Diluted, yes.
 CountIbli
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/21/2008 3:59:21 PM
Aish UK's executive director Rabbi Naftali Schiff said the results of the YouGov poll of 2,000 people were alarming.

I think the results are encouraging. Every day more and more British people are coming to their senses (and catching up to the rest of Europe). Christianity in America is becoming watered down. Think about it. If you (not necessarily the OP) were put on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?
 TheLimey
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 4:27:55 PM

What are your thoughts?
Is Christianity dying in America too?

If only...

What will take it's place?

One would hope that it is replaced by common sense & rationality, but given the level of intellectual dishonesty among American christians I don't hold out much hope..
 clarence clutterbuck
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:02:04 PM
As long as I don't have to live in a Theocracy or endure the spectacle of British politicians spouting about their religious credentials American style to attract votes, I hope religion never completely dies out in the UK. The traditional paraphenalia of the various faiths has a certain quaint charm. The fine buildings; plummy voiced vicars in their transvestite garb; the hymn, Jerusalem. All this stuff is worth preserving, provided it is kept in its rightful place in the sparsely attended churches and not shoved down peoples throats.

In contrast, the number of actively religious Muslims is predicted to increase from about one million today to 1.96 million in 2035.

I wonder if the immigrant Muslim population will continue to zealously practice their faith over future generations given the fact that it isn't customary or even legal in Britain to execute apostates?
 RDtoo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 10:40:00 PM
Limey, you are correct in saying that there is intellectual dishonesty among American Christians. On the other hand, I am not sure I have came across any group organized or not in our society who have a market on intellectual honesty. Have you?
 TheLimey
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 8:10:24 AM

"An intellectual dishonesty among American Christians " , pray tell what that means? How can a belief be labelled as 'dishonest"?

I am a North American, consider my self Christian, so what is dishonest about that? If you disagree with Christianity, or the way it is practised, that does not equate to being dishonest as far as I can see.

Christ died for my sin, to believe that, means that I admit to being imperfect. Yes as a human be4ing, I have the ability to be dishonest , but to say that my belief is dishonest, makes no sense whatsoever. To label American Christians as intellectually dishonest, is quite the blanket statement, we are talking about a nation made up of individuals who continue to assist people through out the World regardless of their religion.

Have a look at this & be honest about your answers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ

If there is such a thing as "intellectual dishonesty", it is sure not exclusive to America.If you want to talk about intellectual dishanonesty , look to your own borders, there is no better example of that than the policies in place of some of Britains nehibours!

I couldn't care less about Britains neighbors etc. I live in Los Angeles..
 RDtoo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2008 9:27:09 AM
Dunrich, when I "agreed" with the Limey that there was an intellectual dishonesty among Christians, I was probably referring to something other than he was. I do not think our beliefs are dishonest, though some groups have some odd twists on them. What I think is dishonest that instead of putting our energy into answering the questions of our society, we instead spend time trying to add to our numbers by diluting the message. That is dishonest. I think the whole "Church Growth" movement is trying to bring Christ in through the back door. The New Testament never states that the Church is supposed to be a popular, fun place in our society. I am not so sure that the service-at-11am-see-you-next-Sunday type of thing we are selling is New Testament Christianity either.

Still waiting for the Limey to provide me with groups that are practicing intellectual honesty in our society.
 janofc
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 10:03:09 PM
No I don't think Christianity is dying out. Have you ever seen 1000s of teenagers worship together. It is amazing and humbling. They have more passion and love for Christ than most older people that I know. IF you get a chance check out Karen Wheton's group at the ramp.(google it). They will stretch your mind! God is raising up a new generation that will get the job done IF adults don't beat them down instead. Pray for our Christian teenagers- they rock!
 gentalltheway
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:53:45 AM

Could? I believe that it will. There are signs all over the world that religion is slowly dying. For example, how many churches were sold in the past 10 years? Have any of you seen any for sale? I sure do...all over the country.

I guess albert Einstein said it best...

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this,"
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/30/2008 4:26:56 PM
I don't think it will disappear . . .
In the mind of man, religion and spirituality are like a particularly sticky booger on our finger,
no matter how vigourously we may try to shake it off - when we finally stop to check . . . there it still is.

The ruler of France in the 1800s, Voltaire, made a famous boast, he said that the bible, that relic, would one day be in a museum and people would look at it and wonder how anybody could believe such nonsense....The place where voltaire made that famous boast is a printing press for bibles. God does "laugh at his enemies"
Since I think your God and Voltaire would share a rollicking good laugh at your belief that the latter was ever a ruler of France, or even alive in the 1800s - I have to wonder about the veracity of your claims that Voltaire ever said such a thing, in such a place.
 TheLimey
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2008 5:41:31 PM
Anyone care to summarise all that crap from Foxfalk in maybe 6 words?
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/30/2008 6:40:59 PM

Anyone care to summarise all that crap from Foxfalk in maybe 6 words?

LMAO.

Pick your 6:

1 - Christianity won't die within a century
2 - Has lasted this long, will continue
3 - Humans like the old 'Jewish Zombie'
4 - Bible contradicts self, adults don't care

And I'll even throw in a bad Haiku summing up what I think his point was:

with faith in the christ
despite the contradictions
it will long survive

OT: If Christianity did die, surely it would be resurrected . . . no?
 bluezoot_riot
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/1/2008 1:00:03 PM
God is all powerful (Jer 32:27, Matthew 19:26)
God is not all powerful (Judges 1:19)

If we only look at the quote itself:

Judges 1:19 "And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

Perhaps, it would be reasonable to say that the conclusion is correct. At first I thought, is Judah a group of people? Is the Lord himself driving out the inhabitants?

But... context!

17And Judah went with Simeon his brother, and they slew the Canaanites that inhabited Zephath, and utterly destroyed it. And the name of the city was called Hormah.

18Also Judah took Gaza with the coast thereof, and Askelon with the coast thereof, and Ekron with the coast thereof.

Here we find out Judah is a person, and that the "he" referenced being driving out the inhabitants is not the Lord, but Judah.

They took the quote out of context, which could have been shown to be wrong, by looking at the previous two verses, as was done . I'm going to assume that's how it is for the rest of them.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/1/2008 7:19:42 PM

Your'e right about one thing: it is all crap, its all from the Bible which is apparently the word of a God thing which could'nt write and could'nt remember what it said to one Jewish stenographers after another and ended up contrdicting itself 147 times....
You know, if you're going to criticize God's ability to write, you really should correct your own writing first. There are FOUR spelling errors in your one sentence. It's not a criticism of your primitive writing skills, merely a "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" sort of thing.
LOL.

You either can't count or your spelling skills are no better than those which you criticise.
Let he who throws stones have good aim, lest someone start throwing stones back at him.

OT: Christianity will still be here in 2108.
 TheLimey
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 9:48:58 PM

For a few of you, I must ask, what if your Christian friend loves you as himself, and walks the Christian walk WHY would you still want him to "die out"??.......the same thing applies for the muslim, the atheist. The idea that a person dislikes a specific belief so much they wished it would "die" is beyond me; especially if that belief has changed someone for the better? (I'm not talking just Christianity here, any religion)

No one wants the person to die out, you want the superstitious mythology to die out so the human race can progress beyond 2000 year old lies, contradictions & general ignorance.
 RDtoo
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2008 10:05:03 PM
Kind of curious what we would progress to? Limey, I am interested in hearing your idea of the Utopia that would happen when everyone stopped believing in God. Care to share your ideas with us?
 TheLimey
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:34:22 PM

Kind of curious what we would progress to? Limey, I am interested in hearing your idea of the Utopia that would happen when everyone stopped believing in God. Care to share your ideas with us?

Reality & common sense. No one ever committed a crime by being *too rational*
 RDtoo
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 7:01:00 PM
That answer really does not explain the Utopian society that will come about when people quit believing in God. Please explain where will we progress to when all of us start thinking "rational". You have thought about this haven't you?
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >