Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 38
pyramids--we still don't know their actual construction methodsPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Fine...I'll admit it...I built them with my super powers from another thread and did it just to annoy people in the 20-21 century. Seemed like I have been successful!

More pyramids in mid and south America than there are in Egypt. I'd love to go check some of them out someday...but I doubt I'll ever get out of Canada...One guy thinks he found a huge one....more than a mile per side....but it is so overgrown he isn't sure. Take a major undertaking to check it out.
 yna6
Msg: 40
pyramids--we still don't know their actual construction methods
Posted: 1/20/2008 2:49:44 PM
hehehe....old picture...but have newer ones up on my profile. and a 6 yr old....
Anyways....was watching a special on South American pyramids on history channel last time I was in an area where they have real cable (what they pass off as cable here sucks...if you're English speaking). That was about 6 months ago. I suppose it could be googled though.
 yna6
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:53:25 PM
There was some rumour about a "war in heaven"....then again...what do you DO with a bunch of unemployed farmers?
 Twill348
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 6:28:29 PM
"To put it bluntly no accomplishment of so called modern day mans cunstruction can withstand the sands of time as thy Pyramids have."

How about a big'ole pile of rocks?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/3/2010 9:32:58 AM

I never knew that the pyramids were built to resemble Orion's belt, but , of course, the Egyptians did things based on the Sun and stars, etc. Pretty cool really.

While that is plausible, it is by no means definite. There were years and entire changes in Egyptian rule between the construction of the separate pyramids. Additionally, there are over 130 other pyramids throughout Egypt that are not laid out to resemble constellations.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:24:28 PM

my thoughts are just those- open thoughts. Yes, there are many pyramids built, stargazer, but I like the concept of aligning the major tombs with the constellations.

Absolutely. Which is why I structured my post the way I did. Unfortunately, there are some who give far more significance to the appearance than it presently deserves, I think. Additionally, while they do bear a surface appearance in that they're three pyramids spaced apart, there seem to me to be too many differences. For instance, the three stars in Orion - Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka - are similar brightness, the three pyramids are noticeably different in size.

Additionally, there are pyramids such as the pyramids of the queens that bear no resemblance to anything in the same area that they would have been aware of - although there is a nebula near Alnitak but it requires a decent telescope to view.

I'm not aware of the significance the Egyptions held for any other astronomical bodies that is reflected in their architecture. Let me know if there is.
 desertrhino
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:27:40 PM
Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the Sphinx, which has been partially buried by the sands... Also, any evidence that the level of the desert had significantly dropped would be welcome. Otherwise, it's just a cute idle speculation.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/3/2010 1:56:53 PM

Everyone on this forum has given eloquent theories relating to the construction of the pyramids. Zechariah Sitchin claims that extra-terrestrial aliens helped build the pyramids. Sitchen supposedly translated the Dead Sea scrolls, the biblical book of Enoch and other ancient texts to arrive at his alien hypothesis.

All of which has been handily debunked on numerous sites and in several threads here.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/3/2010 3:00:57 PM

Stargazer: the Sun. The Egyptians- at least those during the time of the construction of the Great Pyramids, Dynasty IV, worshiped the Sun.

Actually, that's one I did know. Benefits of watching lots of History Channel.

Actually, the alignment of the pyramids was quite a feat unto itself. Especially since, back then, the north celestial pole was not Polaris but I believe nearer the star Thubin in Draco. They had a brilliant means of aligning the great pyramid's north-south axis using the position of Polaris and Thubin.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >