Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Applette
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just MetPage 20 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Actually the one thing that hurts the most is the person (man) who is drop dead ugly who responds to my profile and assumes that I would even be a little bit interested ....... hahahaa ..... omg .. that really hurts .. like would I be that desperate!!!!? Come on people use a little common sense .. or did that die when the U. S.A. ecomony went down the toilet ... I am so sick of it all! Rush L. I have to agree with u on one point .. (even thou I think u suck slew water) ... THE AVERAGE " DOEDOE BIRD" DOES NOT GET IT!
 evrybdy
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 3/28/2009 11:37:12 PM
I just redid my profile and put up all photos from this last year or so. For me, it's sometimes hard to realize how much weight I have lost. Yes, that's right, lot and I have to show my progress and I am gaining weight again, but though I do have one of my own "glamour" shots (though it was taken by a friend, not at some place, and it was for his photo portfolio, so I did it more as a favor for him.lol) and an older photo of me and mom cause I love and miss her so much, everything else is recent, including one shot from yesterday! I want people to know that in my quest for friends and whatever else might blow my way, that this is how I really look. I am 90 ish pounds, and am trying very hard to get back to what I was, and I won't misrepresent at all! =)

M
 singlebookgeek
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2009 12:57:19 AM
I've met women, who have horrible photos of themselves up. Just awful,
How can they think that anybody would do anything but run away?
Isn't the point of this site to be truthful?
 Rockymtnguy07
Msg: 336
re: Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 3/30/2009 9:20:43 PM
..Just to chime in, I also find it very misleading and no way to start a potential relationship by being misled by a profile photo. This just happened to me a week ago. Upon meeting, it came to light that the profile pics were from several years and more than several pounds ago. It was somewhat of a letdown. Still stayed and conversed and had dinner, but upon leaving, no words were needed to convey that there wouldn't be a second or subsequent meeting.

I don't know how folks can think that they can get away with something like that. Maybe she was just after a free meal heh.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 339
Posted: 3/31/2009 2:31:31 PM
That's actually happened to me a number of times. I think often it's because when peeps look at themselves in the mirror, they're looking straight ahead. And if a little something is hanging or wagging, they sort of adjust facial expression until they look a tad better. And that's what we fix in our minds as how we look. When we're selecting pics, those are the ones we choose.

What most don't realize is that *others* very seldom see us straight on after we've adjusted our faces. . . . Odd noses are particularly deceptive: they may look absolutely normal in a straight on head shot, and be very very different and very commanding when seen in profile or 3/4.

That said, no, I don't believe anyone has ever been deliberately deceptive. And no, it's never been a deal breaker, though other things have been. Maybe I've just been lucky. . . .

krys315
Msg: 343
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:37:35 PM
wow. that is crazy. thats why i dont mneet anyone here
 Lobo_Corazon
Msg: 345
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 12:54:51 PM

I have a friend in Montreal, Canada, who spoke on the phone and on-line, to a woman in BC, Canada.

They spoke for 6 months, he became fond of her so, he drove out, yes drove, all the way to meet her.

Upon arriving at the door, it was obvious the woman he'd been talking with for the past 6 months wasn't her. Instead, it was a photo of her neighbour that she'd posted on-line!!

Can you imagine his disappointed and his obvious being pissed off?

While he was there, did he introduce himself to the neighbor? (I totally would have had to do that!)
 c_deacon
Msg: 346
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2009 2:55:19 PM
That happened to me with one woman that sent me all these pictures, but none were of her, but of her friend and supervisor.

When it was time to actually get to know one another, she had to confess, and the funny part about it, was that her friend and supervisor was on the same site, without any pictures and once found out, we became good friends.

I found the pictures to be the foundation for the initial mental image that I wanted, and that the personalities were very similar, since they both were about the same age, and in the same profession......go figure.

By the way, the first one did send me pictures of her true self, after all this came about, and she was just as attractive as the one she was portraying, but by then, the nature of the misconception made it more than impossible to get over.

When I asked her why she did it, she said out of fear of the internet, and placing herself out there like that........go figure.

Just my opinion.......
 Stormwolf
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2009 9:45:06 AM
harleykat~

If you've been on this service for FIVE years......maybe you SHOULD
post bogus pictures! Maybe you'll meet a visually impaired nice guy! lol
 celts123
Msg: 352
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:32:50 AM
One time a woman was complaining to me about men ( that she had met ) lying about their age or height, using fake pics etc. Yet when I looked at her profile. She claimed that she had an "average" body type. But she was overweight and used deceptive photos to hide the extra fat. Talk about being a hypocrite.
 konie
Msg: 353
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:19:53 AM
it happens all the time i'm very new to this ,but it took me very little time to figure it out.they put a 20 year old pic up there lie about their age and when u go to meet so and so junior u meet so and so senior
 jaqi
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 11:32:13 AM
hahaha I went to meet a guy who in his photo looked like an adonis ... I might have known he would turn out like shrek... he approached my car and I told him straight that he looked nothing like his pic and then I drove off! I don't believe in wasting my time with someone who has clearly deceived me in order to meet up .... there was no way I would have suddenly changed my mind and found him attractive. In fact I don't think he could have ever been the person in the photo!

I hear plenty of stories from guys who have had a similar experience who have then spent an hour or so sitting wondering how they can get out of their situation... what's that all about? Tell them straight... you will only get called shallow... better than an hour or two with someone you don't want to be with and will never see again...!

Fortunately most of my meets have looked similar to their pics (and they don't all have to look like an adonis lol... I am really not that shallow... )
 classic-man
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 6:11:57 AM
cover ups-
Yes I've been there done that also- been sucker into meeting a false picture and it turned out to be a cover up - of a picture yrs ago - what a bummer-

I recently drove out of my way to visit a lady who picture was inviting - we talk for a few chats on the net - a few chats on the phone calls - voice was appealing- we seem to hit it off on all levels of interest etc-

Upon arrival I missed seeing the resemblance of the lady at the resturant- and finally I was approacted by her - very diffrent from the picture - more aged- stouter- and seeminly less educated and unemployed at the moment- ( never mentioned in the prior conversations)- man did i feel like a SUCKER with a "S" stamped on my forehead-

It was a short lived coffee break - cordial excuse to leave in a gentleman way
I broke and ran as soon as possible- the coffee break was cheap learned lesson-

Moral of the story - wonder what else she fabricated or would have in the future-

Try and research your prospective dates more if possible - I have learned to point blank ask if pictures are current- and resemble your present level of life !!!!!

I quess we all get suckered sometimes - it all in the fishing???
 AmusedMom
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 9:42:07 AM
I have been lucky so far and out of the few I have met in person, they've looked like their picture for the most part (a couple of them looked better in person).

At the beginning I was sorta shocked to hear men say to me "You look exactly like your picture!" like it was a relief. Now I see why they were relieved!

I never understood though after hearing these stories why someone would post old pictures. I mean if it hits the point of a face to face meeting the other party is going to find out. Its the same as lying. Like others have said, if they are going to be so misleading about something like this, what else will they be misleading about? I know if I ever come across someone who has posted old pictures a second date will not be in the future.
 TheLimey
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2009 5:05:49 PM
The REALLY wierd ones are those who change ethnicity between the first & last photo.. So far I've seen 3 of them on here..
 Wordsmith in SoFla
Msg: 379
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 7:00:17 AM
It happened to me, too. In one case, I could swear the photograph was 15-20 years old. She mumbled something about the picture being 8 years old, but I think not. Then I had a couple of others show up not looking like their picture. Being wary of this, I closely examine the photo with her posted age in mind and as myself "how likely is this to be her now?" This kind of dishonesty casts doubt upon the person in every other area. I've even posted on my profile that I consider deceit as a dealbreaker and those who do this are asked to pass me by.
 TheReason_
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2009 7:14:53 AM
I would be polite, just get some coffee and leave.
 lolwtfamidoinghere
Msg: 381
Posted: 11/29/2009 12:43:55 AM
It's best to post pics that are no more than 6 months old IMO.

Make sure they are QUALITY photos too. I see a lot of pics here that are blurred, over or underexposed, or look as if they were taken by a Polaroid from 1978. I took photos of my friends who are on here with my Nikon D300 SLR + I'm a semi-professional photographer who's done a few wedding shoots for couples who couldn't afford one of those photographers that charge $1,000 or more. Their photos look great, but you really don't even need a baller camera, just a decent brand digital camera (Nikon, Canon, etc) that's no older than 2 or 3 years old. Having someone with a little skill taking your pics works wonders too, find a friend who takes decent pics take some for you.
 lolwtfamidoinghere
Msg: 384
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:24:37 AM

i don't think it's necessary to put pictures that were taken from SLRs or heavy duty professional grade. i don't even think it's necessary to use a digital camera that's no more than 3 years old. i think camera phone pictures look fine, all my pictures are from my iPhone and they turn out clear. when i went to meet someone from here, he recognized me immediately and called out my name- he said i look exactly like my pictures.

Well now, if you're talking about an iphone, the camera on those things is nearly as good as an SLR lol but I'll pass on the $200 monthly bill. Most other camera phones aren't too great.

A very nice camera does help I think. A friend I have that was on here was using some old 2.3 megapixel Kodak and the pics were just so-so. She'd get messages & guys would say "Oh you're cute." I told her she could use better pics and offered to take them for her with my camera. There was one I took of her with a fountain as a backdrop and that was the best one. Guys were telling her that she looked stunning in that picture and she got more replies.
 newtobklyn
Msg: 386
Posted: 12/3/2009 6:23:55 PM
You are absolutely correct. I have met about 12 women thru this website; at least half of those did not have a pic posted that was w/in 5 years of their actual age. One had specifically indicated the pics were recent w/in 6 mos.), and when I met her, I knew the photo was at least 60 mos. old; she was much heavier, and frankly, much older (looking).

Let's be frank here: this is an internet dating site where the 1st attraction to someone is the photo(s). I do not look at a picture and think: "hey, I am really hot for her brain". No one does. We think the man or women is pretty, handsome, attractive, cute, hot...or whatever adjective suits us to describe the person we are attracted to. Subsequently, we look at, even occasionally read the profile, then decide to contact that person, or not.

I agree with all who indicate that beginning a relationship with a lie sets a tone for the future.
Be who are you and be happy and proud of it.
 newtobklyn
Msg: 387
Posted: 12/3/2009 8:12:40 PM
100/10 ?? That's about the regular ratio I am finding. So, you are within my 'legal limits' of dating. How about aging with me?

Another question? Do you have sex on the 1st date? I am curious as to what women think of this.
 pleasurelimits
Msg: 388
Posted: 12/3/2009 8:21:46 PM
I am somewhat sympathetic to this problem as some people may have joined more than a couple of years ago and depending on what period it is in your life there can be some changes. I know that I have become a bit grey over the last couple years since the pic was posted and indeed my pic was taken a c ouple of years before that SO I tend to cut others a little slack over this as long as the pic is a genuine one then move on I say
 *november babee*
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2009 9:01:20 AM
IMO..
taking pics from a camera fone is fine, mine has an 8.0 mega pixel camera with a schneider kreuznach auto focus lens, and takes fab pictures, deliberatly misrepresenting yourself is not fine..

taking pics in bad lighting, or deliberatly hiding thngs you dont want to show or pics that make you look younger/slimmer/more muscular etc are a recipe for disaster..

you may as well just be honest if you intend meeting up with each other..
i met a guy whos pics were at least 6-10 yrs old, either that or his hairline had very very rapidly declined in the past few months cos on the pics posted he had an almost full head of hair and in real life had hardly a scrap...
 TheReason_
Msg: 398
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2009 3:19:00 AM
You'd be hard pressed to buy a celphone without a camera these days. All my pics are from my iPhone, since I broke my digital camera sneaking it into a concert. LoL but ya. Say what you will abou mirror shots, at least they aren't the "myspace angle" shots, from overhead, hiding lbs, second and third chins. I generally don't meet anyone with just face pics, thru have to have body shots, CURRENT body shots, as that's what I post. Also, I'm not brave enough to meet someone without a pic.

Call me shallow, but there has to be some physical attraction. Date your pics if you can, or at least say what year they are from. I don't care what you looked like 10 - 15 years ago, I car what you look like today.
 startle
Msg: 400
Posted: 12/8/2009 6:55:29 AM
i have met men who were not interesting to me lots of times...they just didn't turn me on in person...i just order another drink , kick back and start blabbing...this is a good chance to talk in a relaxed way to another human being...you may not want to marry him but so what...his heart is still beating...you have an interested person listening to you ...enjoy the conversation...does every moment of your life have to be an endless search for "the one"....and you say but he lied...has no ever lied to you...i hate to break it to you..you have been and will be again...lied to...grow up...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >